Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

I understand the arguments for this being a possible issue for other game submissions but also think it's not going to be a large problem in the long run. The concern will be otherwise full games that have simple or exploitable trophy lists being 'reported' as spam games. I don't see Ratalaika losing much business. Hate the trophy practices all you want, they publish full games. Another example I point to is Return to Digiton. Marked as a shovelware game, it was actually some persons first passion project, an hour or so long game with achievements meant to match that experience.

For anyone working on possible projects, it's worth watching how this all plays out. I highly doubt this is going to have an overall effect on generally easy achievement games, but this might change parts of the landscape.

That's a big surprise tbh, didn't expect Sony to care about this issue.

I must say i'm not the best one to comment as i have bought a lot of mainly ratalaika titles recently. They have some very enjoyable platformers and other titles under their belt that do have easy plats. I hope Sony doesn't take this too far though. When would something be considered Shovelware. For example the POWGI and Artifex Mundi titles are very enjoyable and just happen to have easy platinums as well, hope those won't get banned.

These asset swap developers are not gone. They will try to find ways and loopholes in the store to keep making quick bucks with the urge and addiction for quick platinums.

Maybe then they'll scour Steam for indie games to equip them with 10 minute Platinums and push them into the store.

Dealers and addicts will always find each other.

• Like 2

Just now, ollo99 said:

Good, I have some shovelware but just a few, and this is the right move. Also need to remove people from the leaderboards that have hundreds, and hundreds of them 

couldn't agree more remove people from leaderboards if they don't have at least 1000 ultra rare trophies 

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I agree with you - but it won’t.

The language of this letter is very clearly and very specifically targeting exactly the products and devs we all know are responsible for its requirement.

In fact, it’s curious that they appear to actually be using the term “spam” - that would seem to indicate that this is fundamentally stemming from the backlash in the community - via news articles, games journalism, and trophy forums.

It’s not a legal or even really an industry term I don’t think - it’s a colloquialism used largely by the trophy hunting community in this context.

That would suggest that the targets of this action do likely align pretty closely with the broad consensus on sites like this one.

This was exactly my thought. Maybe all our postings over and over again helped unknowingly to bring this up on sonys table :) who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

I have heard this argument before and definitely disagree. This isn't some life-threatening medical condition, these people are just buying trophies. Simple as that.

It's a competitive setting and the consequence is to lose and get outraced. It's the meta and to them the end justifies the means. But it doesn't mean it's fun to them and that they don't wish the meta would change. You might have heard the argument before but I don't see any contradiction here. 

Where possible, partners should consider aggregating small, similar content experiences into a single product, using in-game commerce to expand or extend the experience.

Sony built them an out right there(assuming this comes from Sony). Devs will now be adding paid DLC till they hit the trophy max(if there is one)...at which point you'll get a new list on the same product like other games have done. I might still be able to strike it rich with The Trophy Hoe!

23 minutes ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Excellent idea. This makes it far more clear. How many pages would it have then, 2 or 3?

Lol prolly 1 or 2. 1000 ultra rare is a feat for people who started from ps3 or psp era and pushing towards platinum since that day. I would agree if it is like 30 - 50 unique non shovelware platinum as requirement which means no stacks on either platform or regions. That would make more sense as requirement. Because it will discourage people who just started

I am also happy that they prolly gonna at least stopped adding it starting next month. Which is great. I personally use them to make my milestone trophy from A to AAA games. since i have some ocd on these kind of things. 

Edited by WhiteRaito
  • Like 1

People will just find out how to beat their "what counts as shovel ware" system and be right back at it.

If your game can't be completed in an hour, devs will just make their games an hour and a half. They raise it to two hours, devs just make the games over two hours. It will just become cat and mouse like Sony played back in the day on the PSP with firmware hackers. Plenty of high profile games are actually relatively short too, now I wonder if those will also get caught up in this. Or if those will be exempt but smaller indie studios with less press will get punished despite lovingly crafting original content, gameplay, stories and experiences.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

tempsnip2.png

The top 10000 on this site have played many of these games and according to Husky's list, unfortunately there are at least 2500 "games" already in the system.

The evil may have been defeated but I think the damage is irreversible unfortunately, there's enough "games" out to last the lifetime of most people on this gaming platform.

Also, we don't even know if this news is true yet. lol

And even if it is, it's not like the shit is gonna stop tomorrow immediately, there's plenty of time to squirt out some more shit for a while yet.

Edited by enaysoft

1 minute ago, mcnichoj said:

People will just find out how to beat their "what counts as shovel ware" system and be right back at it.

If your game can't be completed in an hour, devs will just make their games an hour and a half. They raise it to two hours, devs just make the games over two hours. It will just become cat and mouse like Sony played back in the day on the PSP with firmware hackers. Plenty of high profile games are actually relatively short too, now I wonder if those will also get caught up in this. Or if those will be exempt but smaller indie studios with less press will get punished despite lovingly crafting original content, gameplay, stories and experiences.

Yeah I'm not seeing that. Keep in mind that the devs behind the Jumping games and games like it put as little time and effort into them as possible so they could spam them endlessly. How much more effort do you really think they're going to add when the whole thing was just about them cranking these things out and making a quick buck? If they start facing issues getting these onto the store I'd say they're more likely to give up than to try and work around the new rules.