Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

4 hours ago, Sofa King said:

I'm sure plenty of devs have been complaining to Sony about their games being buried under this avalanche of shovelware.

Definitely.

And that's the true reason for Sony doing this. Not for us.

6 hours ago, diskdocx said:

SIE strives to ensure that customers can search and discover the full breadth of experiences on PlayStation, and that partners have a fair means of being discovered. When partners oversaturate or “spam” PlayStation™Store with many variants of the same type of content, it can negatively impact both the customer and partner experience.

3 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

shovelbros

That's... what I...

robert-redford-peter-griffin.gif

2 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Preview: The Trophy Wars - Chapter 12: The potential end of the shovelware menace

In this thrilling saga that's spanned multiple heated locked and deleted threads across PSNProfiles, it seems the epic masterpiece may be reaching its exciting conclusion soon! Will the rumours prove true, or will the fate of the leaderboards' legitimacy still hang in the balance? Find out, in the next exciting episode of this likely to reach 20+ pages thread! Hurry, don't miss the action before it's locked/deleted - limited time only!

I don't know why, but I totally read this in the DBZ narrators voice. 

• Like 4

I personally think this is huge and for once a step in the right direction from Sony. Also I think the spam publishers will have a hard time now even if they try to exploit and test the limits of this new policy, because as of now there aren't any and it looks like they will be willing to ban and not allow new stuff from devs who cross that line too many times, which is amazing. 

("Multiple rejections or takedowns may result in the suspension or eventual termination of a partner’s PlayStation Partners account.")

m9ndijg.png

• Like 1

Just now, Milktastrophe said:

Do you think the super power up pinball games fall under this definition of spam? They're definitely actual games, but they do look like it's just re-skins so probably spam?

I've only played one, and it was ok. Maybe I need to buy them all of they go on sale before being delisted.

Probably not. There's enough difference in things like ramp and spinner layouts that they should be safe. 

Please God make this happen ?. It has been an exhausting experience seeing these flood the store the past 3 years. As much as i've been a bandwagon for wishing for actions like this to happen while playing these shovelware titles at the same time, I'm just happy to see that we may FINALLY get some peace from these titles.

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

That's an odd thing to say after buying thousands of these non-games, isn't it?

I can even ask myself that question. I will even admit that I would be crazy enough to get called out on my opinions on Shovelware games, but I'm honest about it because I know what I'm buying and know what I'm gonna get myself into. After all, it's better to come clean and be honest about it than to deny or hide the truth of your own actions because everyone will have their own sense of judgment on topics such as this.

• Like 1

None of us need to see the shovelware anymore on this site, for us that problem has already fixed, and those that love buying, I think at this point should be allowed to do so.

Slowing the trickle is just going to make the problem go on forever but at a slower pace. There are already about 2000 of these games in circulation, it's too late to go back to how things were 6 years ago.

I think Sony should infact just completely open the flood gates even more, let's have 100s of these games coming out every single day.

The bullshit in complete denial reasons people sometimes give for buying them.

If you love these games so much, then have thousands upon thousands of them, put your money where your mouth is, I say. If you love them so much, have even more.

People need a reason to stop buying these games organically, the pressure to buy them in the first place or should be placed on the user.

Give people a reason to wake up and realise what's important, because it certainly isn't Trophy booster packs masquerading as "games" being the only issue.

1 hour ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

Honestly, the amount of people who don't understand that Ratalaika is a publisher who handles distribution and equates them with shovelware is one of the biggest issues with the discourse around this stuff. An easy trophy list doesn't equate to being cheap cash ins. 

I mean, the issue is less the quality of the games themselves and more the effect they have on trophy hunting, which is undeniably a negative one.

7 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

Im all for getting rid of the jumping stroke the Animal q type games. But i hope this doesn't screw over the legit indie games that have easy 30 minute plats. Ratalaika games have a lot of stuff thats fairly decent in spite of thier easy trophy lists so id hate to see them get screwed over as a lot of thier stuff is what i would consider a real game and not a heres a picture of a cat, click this 50 times for platinum. As theres a much bigger difference between awesome pea 1 and 2 then these jumping Animal letter games.

So have them give all of their games "real" trophy lists. Problem solved.

Interesting. If this is true and they can do it without any loopholes for them to sneak back through might it be time to purge them here as well? It was a never ending task and likely impossible until now but if its a finite number.... make them worth zero for leaderboards perhaps? Getting rid of them entirely is probably too much of an ask

• Like 2