What is the most annoying thing when trophy hunting?

Kazeh54

On 3/5/2014 at 2:41 PM, Izul said:

Multiplayer trophies. 

Well, at least if it's a bad multiplayer. There are a lot of great MP games, but there are also games with a great singleplayer which got a bad online mode. So I'm not very interested in playing those online modes. 

This. I will grind. I will save scum for luck, but I refuse to do MP trophies. (Well, unless it's "play 1 online game" or something. But they still shouldn't be there.)

• Like 1

Online trophies. I'm willing to grind for trophies, but online ones absolutely suck and either get put off or outright ignored. It's gotten worse with requiring Plus for online with the PS4, since I have very little reason to want to pay for it. The games are mediocre (though they're at least improving them somewhat) and I don't play online nearly enough to actually get any use out of it.

Multiplayer trophies and missables. South Park the Stick of Truth and Tomb Raider are the worst offenders. Had to keep my eyes glued to a screen while I went for Platinum in South Park then spent like 30 hours in Tomb Raider doing solo grinding moving a case into a zone. I'd say I hate missables more than anything because I'm a one playthrough kind of guy and having to go through a game all over just because I missed something stupid will drive me crazy and make me not get the Platinum anymore. 

10 hours ago, Terra said:

Unobtainable trophies and speed runs. I'd rather enjoy the story then be forced to plow through it.

The only acceptable speed runs are are in Strider and Shadow Complex. Well any Metroidvania, they're basically made for speed runs though which makes them pretty fun. Sequence breaking is very satisfying.

But games like ICO and The Last Guardian, hell no. Speed runs in games like those are atrocious and ruin the game.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 3/5/2014 at 1:41 PM, Izularia said:

Multiplayer trophies. 

Well, at least if it's a bad multiplayer. There are a lot of great MP games, but there are also games with a great singleplayer which got a bad online mode. So I'm not very interested in playing those online modes. 

^^^This is the one!!! Getting into a game only to realize it has some obsolete multiplayer mode with zero players but a bunch of correlated trophies is so so so frustrating. (...I'm looking at you, Far Cry.) I love me a difficult trophy that I really have to grind for, it's so satisfying when it finally pops, but being forced to either sit and wait (sometimes hours) for enough players to (maybe, hopefully, eventually) join a lobby just for the match to crash or scour online forums for strangers to organize a party with just makes me resent the game. I have no idea why devs add these kinds of trophies to campaign-based games, unless the goal is to make it as un-replayable as possible. 

RNG / luck based trophies are the worst. Doing something over and over just to eventually get what you were looking for and then failing the task. Also, Multiplayer trophies can be a pain, but only if it requires to get a big group of people to do something... looking at you Batman origins...

Gatekeeping assholes, specifically the ones who enjoy sabotaging trophy hunters in any way they can. One of the reasons I tend to avoid multiplayer games are cancerous communities with no lifers who only play that one game for absurd amounts of time, who then come along and try their hardest to ruin boosting sessions or even try to get people banned for "playing the game wrong" in their opinion, heard plenty of such stories and experienced it myself on rare occasions, some stories go as far as dedicated and coordinated efforts from several people just to mess with someones trophy progression, with surprising creativity on display sometimes.

As a veteran of the early 2000s no holds barred style of multiplayer lobbies I certainly had some heavy choice words for creatures like that the few times I encountered one, with explicit suggestions as to how the individual in question should rather spend his free time instead of doing what they were doing, and some assumptions as to how that individuals family tree must be shaped to cause that kind of unprovoked behavior in the first place. Likely would lead to an instant perma ban if I were to send a response like that in todays oversensitive safe space environment, just another reason why I tend to avoid forced multiplayer games even more these days, because the only thing worse than having to deal with such people is to not even being allowed anymore to give them the feedback they so deserve.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1