Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster on PS4

Abby_TheLastofUs

Which Pixel Remaster are you looking forward to playing/replaying the most?  

513 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pixel Remaster are you looking forward to playing/replaying the most?

• Final Fantasy I
    • Final Fantasy II
    • Final Fantasy III
    • Final Fantasy IV
    • Final Fantasy V
    • Final Fantasy VI

57 minutes ago, Metal Slime King said:

Now what am I going to incessantly pester SE about on their dead, official discord?

Probably Dragon Quest re-releases :awesome:

Good timing for me though, just finished 8 and working on 9. Pretty hyped.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I believe DQ is better than FF. At least the old 2d games are. It's also more popular in Japan. Personally, I'd love to platinum the whole main line of DQ.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Viper said:

This thread is hilarious...the number of people complaining about the price, then saying they'll get it anyways. You're the reason it's priced at that point to begin with, you give into this crapshoot of a business practice. Instead of just waiting for a sale...the game isn't going anywhere, you don't HAVE to support this price point nor do you NEED it day one.

The upside is they're the only ones buying this kind of stuff so they're the only ones paying more and more year over year. Try to think of it positively that way. I say, let them waste their money and as long as you're responsible enough to have the restraint to know you don't really need something this overpriced, then you're coming out ahead. People know it's selfish and contributes to the problem, but everyone who uses something like Amazon does the same thing. Can't fix the problem or compare yourself to them, just have to accept that it's their money to put in the hands of greedy businessmen. Be happy with yourself if you have the restraint not to. Abstaining from something like this is a far bigger positive contributed to the world than contributing to materialism. 

Edited by ChibsSoA

5 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

The upside is they're the only ones buying this kind of stuff so they're the only ones paying more and more year over year. Try to think of it positively that way. I say, let them waste their money and as long as you're responsible enough to have the restraint to know you don't really need something this overpriced, then you're coming out ahead. People know it's selfish and contributes to the problem, but everyone who uses something like Amazon does the same thing. Can't fix the problem or compare yourself to them, just have to accept that it's their money to put in the hands of greedy businessmen. Be happy with yourself if you have the restraint not to. Abstaining from something like this is a bigger positive contributed to the world than being someone who contributes to materialism. 

Wouldn't there be the argument that this did indeed go somewhere as it's completely sold out?

As to the price of stuff and people "stupidly" paying said price while the "smart" people wait on sales at fractions of the price think on this. When a company puts out a product they decide if it's worth continuing by how well it sales and how much it profits them. They don't wait like 2 years and be like yup this game sold 1000 copies at 5 dollars that's a win let's proceed. They look at initial sales and demand they look at the masses buying and preordering day 1 full price they look at the profit in the first few days and weeks. I mean ask yourselves if you put in months or years into making something spent thousands or millions of dollars making it and you offer it at 60 bucks but no one buys any till it's at 5 or 10 dollars so all your hard work all thatoney you put in you made a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of what you put in because people was smart and waited for a sale everyone was smart and waited for that sale. And now be honest would you make more? Would you put in the work and money for what is honestly very low demand or desire to use your product? No you probably would just give up close down try something else that actually has people wanting to buy it,  it's economics no demand no supply no profit no supply it's wasting money lots of money if no one's making your time and energy pay in the end

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Wouldn't there be the argument that this did indeed go somewhere as it's completely sold out?

As to the price of stuff and people "stupidly" paying said price while the "smart" people wait on sales at fractions of the price think on this. When a company puts out a product they decide if it's worth continuing by how well it sales and how much it profits them. They don't wait like 2 years and be like yup this game sold 1000 copies at 5 dollars that's a win let's proceed. They look at initial sales and demand they look at the masses buying and preordering day 1 full price they look at the profit in the first few days and weeks. I mean ask yourselves if you put in months or years into making something spent thousands or millions of dollars making it and you offer it at 60 bucks but no one buys any till it's at 5 or 10 dollars so all your hard work all thatoney you put in you made a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of what you put in because people was smart and waited for a sale everyone was smart and waited for that sale. And now be honest would you make more? Would you put in the work and money for what is honestly very low demand or desire to use your product? No you probably would just give up close down try something else that actually has people wanting to buy it,  it's economics no demand no supply no profit no supply it's wasting money lots of money if no one's making your time and energy pay in the end

I had this long post typed out and it's just not all that productive to argue any of it in such length. If you guys want to buy it, buy it lol. To me, 2/3 of the collection as it stands are not games people are really all that looking forward to. Consumers are smart nowdays, companies need to start realizing that. If I know there's a $70 bundle out there, and that only the most hardcore FF fans and nostalgia fans are going to buy the collection for $70, why wouldn't I wait for a price drop? I know the amount of people who buy it will be minimal on day one given the lack of hype around it. This will force publisher to cave and price drop to generate revenue. So the tactic is to wait if you aren't in a rush to play it. If it were a better collection, say including 7-9, more people would buy it day one at full price. But they'd rather wait for "volume 2" to sell those games, or refuse to budge on cannibalizing sales of those games digitally on PSN as they exist right now. It costs them little to nothing to include them though to make the collection more appealing at full price. Here you also can just hand pick the games you want and buy them individually. Also at a huge premium, but same thing applies - eventually they will price drop BECAUSE that premium is too high and people will abstain from dropping that kind of money on it day one (on average).

Nobody waited for Elden Ring to price drop. Or even Shredder's Revenge for that matter. That's the argument. Not everything every publisher puts out warrants the price point they want to charge on day one. They overshoot their shot, that's on them. I will be buying the MMBN collection day one, because that is a fantastic group of games for $60. You charge an appropriate price, or make it worth people's while, and they will support it without waiting for a sale.

Edited by ChibsSoA

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Its quite sad that every single thing you said is right on the money and not one person up voted you.

Truth is waiting on sales instead of paying for games full price is contributing to the whole live service/subscription model the industry is undoubting heading towards.

Ppl want to play games, but are not willing to support them from time to time I just don't understand.

Yeah money is tight, but so is it for devs, epically the indie scene. I guess some of you cant afford to shell out 20 bucks for a game that actually looks fun and different. 

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Its quite sad that every single thing you said is right on the money and not one person up voted you.

Truth is waiting on sales instead of paying for games full price is contributing to the whole live service/subscription model the industry is undoubting heading towards.

Ppl want to play games, but are not willing to support them from time to time I just don't understand.

Yeah money is tight, but so is it for devs, epically the indie scene. I guess some of you cant shell out 20 bucks for a game you that actually looks fun and different. 

I'm much more likely to spend $20 on an indie game that I want to support, than... basically a fancy port, from one of the biggest publishers out there. This is pocket change to them. Devs have to know their budget. Don't spend X making a game if you have to rely on basically completely overcharging people to break even or make a profit. If you're small time, you take the risk and get your name out there. But you can't compare the davids to the goliaths IMO. For $20 a game, you need more than just slightly sharper pixels and a new OST unless it's a really well renowned historic game. Like a chrono cross, or ff6.

Live service/sub model is what it is not because of this though. It is that way because of microtransactions and whales, and the ability to continuously generate revenue off of a single SKU. It is an evolved form of DLC.

Edited by ChibsSoA

20 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but I believe DQ is better than FF. At least the old 2d games are. It's also more popular in Japan. Personally, I'd love to platinum the whole main line of DQ.

I am currently playing Dragon Warrior 7 on the PS1. This is on an actual PS1 that has an ODE installed and then upscaled to 4k just to look playable on a modern TV. It is an excellent series though quite different from FF.

22 hours ago, Metal Slime King said:

Now what am I going to incessantly pester SE about on their dead, official discord?

Probably Dragon Quest re-releases :awesome:

Good timing for me though, just finished 8 and working on 9. Pretty hyped.

Pester them for info about Dragon Quest III HD and XII! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Viper said:

This thread is hilarious...the number of people complaining about the price, then saying they'll get it anyways. You're the reason it's priced at that point to begin with, you give into this crapshoot of a business practice. Instead of just waiting for a sale...the game isn't going anywhere, you don't HAVE to support this price point nor do you NEED it day one.

I complained about the price for the physical release being ridiculous, but more so from a logistical perspective. Instead of releasing it for the normal price, they gate it behind their shitty website which charges people abnormal shipping amounts. This amounts to making the physical PS4 release over $100, which in turn I refuse to buy, or the overpriced collector's edition for that matter which is hot garbage as well.

The digital edition is worth it for me. Six long games for $70 is acceptable, especially with FF4-FF6 in there. I have all the original carts for the game, which are far more "collector's items" as opposed to this digital re-release anyway.

I still want to play Callisto Protocol and Ragnarok, but I can't justify spending $70 on a game that I will only spend 20-ish hours on. That's $3.50/hour. This collection will be about 200 hours in total, which makes it $0.35/hour; that's not bad at all.

Edited by Alayaes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

I'm much more likely to spend $20 on an indie game that I want to support, than... basically a fancy port, from one of the biggest publishers out there. This is pocket change to them. Devs have to know their budget. Don't spend X making a game if you have to rely on basically completely overcharging people to break even or make a profit. If you're small time, you take the risk and get your name out there. But you can't compare the davids to the goliaths IMO. For $20 a game, you need more than just slightly sharper pixels and a new OST unless it's a really well renowned historic game. Like a chrono cross, or ff6.

Live service/sub model is what it is not because of this though. It is that way because of microtransactions and whales, and the ability to continuously generate revenue off of a single SKU. It is an evolved form of DLC.

Well first up it's not 20 a game it's more like 10 and if u want you could say 4 and 6 are like 11 or 12 dollars. Since they are the big sale

And we kinda have to keep in mind we pay a lot more for games that take 5 hours to complete and I mean 100% complete while these take atleast 100 hours to just do a first run no 100 every nook and cranny these games are LONG   

And some folks are old enough rememberringvwhen 4 and 6 was on super Nintendo costing like 100 bucks a game cause Nintendo really really 9ver priced games back then lol

But honestly 70 dollars for 6 games that could give a month or 2 of happiness to old school games isn't that bad but that shipping and handling price that's where I see some outrage in myself but I don't know exactly where that's coming from but I've imported games with free shipping so who knows

50 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Well first up it's not 20 a game it's more like 10 and if u want you could say 4 and 6 are like 11 or 12 dollars. Since they are the big sale

And we kinda have to keep in mind we pay a lot more for games that take 5 hours to complete and I mean 100% complete while these take atleast 100 hours to just do a first run no 100 every nook and cranny these games are LONG   

And some folks are old enough rememberringvwhen 4 and 6 was on super Nintendo costing like 100 bucks a game cause Nintendo really really 9ver priced games back then lol

But honestly 70 dollars for 6 games that could give a month or 2 of happiness to old school games isn't that bad but that shipping and handling price that's where I see some outrage in myself but I don't know exactly where that's coming from but I've imported games with free shipping so who knows

It's only 10ish per game if you buy the whole collection though right? On steam they are individually 20. For me it's more about the cost of time here. Sure you get your moneys worth in length, but are some of those games really worth the time? For me personally, no. Long =\= good. I will probably buy 6 (4 when it goes on sale) and enjoy it and leave it at that. If they don't even let us buy them individually on console then I'm out on these remasters entirely. And yeah they probably ship from Japan which is why it's costly. 

1 hour ago, ChibsSoA said:

It's only 10ish per game if you buy the whole collection though right? On steam they are individually 20. For me it's more about the cost of time here. Sure you get your moneys worth in length, but are some of those games really worth the time? For me personally, no. Long =\= good. I will probably buy 6 (4 when it goes on sale) and enjoy it and leave it at that. If they don't even let us buy them individually on console then I'm out on these remasters entirely. And yeah they probably ship from Japan which is why it's costly. 

It's 12 euros for FF1/FF2 and 18 for FF3/FF4/FF5/FF6.

Edited by Lance_87

• 1 month later...

They got some more preorders a few weeks ago, but they were gone like in three minutes. Now Play Asia is offering the Asian version (has English text option) for both PS4 and Switch if you're interested.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/final+fantasy+pixel+remaster#fc=prc:1.0000000000

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still no release date for this, 20th April and 31st May crop up during conversations elsewhere. 

It also starting to look bleak about a proper disc release too.

I know Spring has just started but it'll be good if SE would drop more info on this collection.

• Like 1