[EVENT] PSNP Kaleidoscope Challenge! 2023 [ENDED]

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Torment: Tides of Numenera [Black] - My journey through this gritty narrative-driven RPG began with $3 and a guide over on TrueAchievements that painstakingly outlined every last decision I'd make from the game's opening until the credits rolled, from dialogue options and looting locations to step-by-step battle instructions and equipment loadouts. 

I have Torment in my backlog – it was stupidly cheap, and I'd recently finished playing Disco Elysium and was on the lookout for similar games. As with so many games, it's sat languishing there ever since.

How long would it take to get the platinum for this if you wanted to do a blind playthrough, rather than follow a guide? I don't really like to play games where I have to follow a step-by-step guide to get the platinum in as few playthrough as possible. 

That being said, I also don't really have the time to play 50+ hour games 3-4 times either.... and Torment sort of looked like one of those games on closer inspection ha. 

• Like 1

2Se3dcd7.png So....

Unfortunately, I thought that my four-year old niece could co-op Chicory: A Colorful Tale, because an article said this game was easy to co-op, and the controls were simple - one person moves and uses the paintbrush while the other moves the character. Right?

Well, turns out that four years of age is not old enough to handle a PS4 controller as my niece was having trouble moving the analog stick and holding down the X button, so the cursor kept hitting the sides of the screen. I got a bit frustrated. Didn't help that she was miserable because she has cedar allergies. The play date lasted fifteen minutes before I sent my nieces home to breakfast. :(

So I earned the first trophy inadvertently and now have to commit. Since the mechanic is painting with color, this game might end up being on my card, taking out Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age in its place(because the background is very white).

Yes, I probably should have used my trash accounts for this, but I didn't think ahead.

1 hour ago, Finch_III said:

How long would it take to get the platinum for this if you wanted to do a blind playthrough, rather than follow a guide? I don't really like to play games where I have to follow a step-by-step guide to get the platinum in as few playthrough as possible. 

That being said, I also don't really have the time to play 50+ hour games 3-4 times either.... and Torment sort of looked like one of those games on closer inspection ha. 

3 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

My journey through this gritty narrative-driven RPG began with $3 and a guide over on TrueAchievements that painstakingly outlined every last decision I'd make from the game's opening until the credits rolled, from dialogue options and looting locations to step-by-step battle instructions and equipment loadouts.

I think that Existential just answered your question. :P If you don't have the time, there's no point in doing the crime. (rimshot) Not trying to scare you away, but just letting you know that you should be aware that you have two options: (A) Go in blind and stumble through until you get to the end after a year or (B) follow a guide written by someone who did the stumbling for you and give up your agency. I tend to be camp B most of the time.

Edited by Taruta13

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Chicory should not ever be anywhere near any sentence with the words “trash profile” in it!

One of the best games I played last year - a fantastic game, that is a complete joy from start to finish!

I apologize. I didn't mean to insult you. I know that the game is a fan favorite, I was just worried about the bosses. I saw someone speedrun the game and felt intimidated. :|

• Like 1

Just now, Taruta13 said:

I apologize. I didn't mean to insult you. I know that the game is a fan favorite, I was just worried about the bosses. I saw someone speedrun the game and felt intimidated. :|

No insult dude, just letting you know, I bet the game will be a lot better than you think, once you get into it ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Chicory should not ever be anywhere near any sentence with the words “trash profile” in it!

One of the best games I played last year - a fantastic game, that is a complete joy from start to finish!

I started the game to see what it was like, I’m planning on going back to it (just have other games to finish first), but my family were watching and now my partner and my 6 year old are working through it. Definitely a big favourite game in this house.

My character is called Burgers, my 6 year old’s is Cupcake

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, Hurricane_Tanya said:

I started the game to see what it was like, I’m planning on going back to it (just have other games to finish first), but my family were watching and now my partner and my 6 year old are working through it. Definitely a big favourite game in this house.

My character is called Burgers, my 6 year old’s is Cupcake

I let my niece name the character, so mine is called Macaroni. xD

Just forgot that she's only four so her fingers are too small for the analog stick. I might let her come over and watch me play the game, and I'll read the text to her like a storybook. The game is very kid-friendly, though if it is possible to skip some bosses, I'll probably do so for her sake since they look a bit scary. ^_^

EDIT: No matter. I was going to swap FFXII for this as the White entry because the game icon was mostly white, but I screwed up my platinum count. This was going to be Platinum #109... but I played too much POWGI and now have my first ten platinums after #100 be the pun-cracking dog. :( That means SaGa Frontier gets pushed back to #120 and FFXII stays on the card... at least for now. :(

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Finch_III said:

I have Torment in my backlog – it was stupidly cheap, and I'd recently finished playing Disco Elysium and was on the lookout for similar games. As with so many games, it's sat languishing there ever since.

I've got Disco Elysium sitting in the backlog myself! I keep waiting for the "perfect" time to play it, but I might be better off just taking the plunge one of these days before years pass and it's still haunting the place. 

If you're thinking about going into Torment blind, a single blind playthrough might last anywhere between 30-50 hours depending on the number of people you talk to and the amount of side content you engage with. Unfortunately, the road to the platinum is so complex without a step-by-step guide (almost every in-game quest is missable or can end in failure among other factors), that I'm not sure I could give you an accurate ballpark figure for how long it would take. I think 100-150 hours should be doable if you reference the less hand-holdy PSNP guide for any missing trophies after your first blind playthrough, but it's tough to say for sure.

If you're torn, something I wish I had done looking back was completing one blind playthrough to experience a more personalized version of the story before following the step-by-step guide for the rest of the trophies. This way, you'd earn the platinum in around 60-90 hours and get much more out of the game and the narrative. I don't like following step-by-step guides either, but you'll save yourself a ton of time and frustration in the long run if you include it in one of your playthroughs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I've got Disco Elysium sitting in the backlog myself! I keep waiting for the "perfect" time to play it, but I might be better off just taking the plunge one of these days before years pass and it's still haunting the place. 

If you're thinking about going into Torment blind, a single blind playthrough might last anywhere between 30-50 hours depending on the number of people you talk to and the amount of side content you engage with. Unfortunately, the road to the platinum is so complex without a step-by-step guide (almost every in-game quest is missable or can end in failure among other factors), that I'm not sure I could give you an accurate ballpark figure for how long it would take. I think 100-150 hours should be doable if you reference the less hand-holdy PSNP guide for any missing trophies after your first blind playthrough, but it's tough to say for sure.

If you're torn, something I wish I had done looking back was completing one blind playthrough to experience a more personalized version of the story before following the step-by-step guide for the rest of the trophies. This way, you'd earn the platinum in around 60-90 hours and get much more out of the game and the narrative. I don't like following step-by-step guides either, but you'll save yourself a ton of time and frustration in the long run if you include it in one of your playthroughs. 

Thanks for responding. Yeah, sorry, I probably wasn't massively clear in my first post. I don't mind following a step-by-step guide for my second playthrough – Thankfully, I'm not a total purist who wants to figure everything out by themselves! But I do like my first playthrough to be blind :) 

So 60-90 hours seems like a nice estimate. Thanks a lot. 

RE: Disco Elysium – it's probably my favourite game of the last 5 years. I absolutely loved it. It's also not massively long, so you can do a blind playthrough and not worry about trophies much at all really. 

Edited by Finch_III
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Xylobe said:

You should definitely check out Paradise Killer! It's my favorite in the detective genre, and a strong contender for the coolest game I've played in general. The furthest thing from mediocre or hand-holdy.

I have heard great things about it, and it’s on sale at the moment so I think I’ll get it. I can use it for my purple game.

• Like 1