Impossible mode?

dougrayman

21 minutes ago, ArtMontef said:

Pretty bad comparison. It's more like people on bodybuilding forum complaining someone uses suplements and enhancers to gain their physique. They can do it naturally with their diet and exercise and be proud of that. Others might do it with help. And others might go completely cheat route and use steroids, equivalent to blatant cheaters using hacked trophies and claiming they are legit. With save scumming all you are saving is time. You still have to beat the game yourself, with your own skills, you're only skipping the replaying the parts that you already did. If you are bad at the game save scumming won't help you anyway, if a boss or group of enemies will be a roadblock. 

This conversation with people complaining how others play the game comes up every time any even small workaround or glitch comes up. It's pointless, both complaining when game is too hard to platinum, too easy to platinum, has glitches, doesn't have glitches, etc. Just play the game and enjoy it. You are competitive and want challenge? Fine, do what makes you happy. You want a platinum as a way to "show" your love for a franchise without banging your head against the wall for tens of hours? Also fine. 

I see your point. The original complaint coming from a number of people was "hurr durr why do you care", I attempted to point out why that may be the case. 

Ultimately, I'm not telling anyone to glitch or not to glitch, anyone can do wherever they want. 

Edited by HardModeTrophies
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zeifink said:

Just started the game. You can select impossible from the start. It says:

"A special challenge mode. Completing it will earn a unique suit and weapon.This mode has the same damage settings as Hard Difficulty , but autosaves are disabled; only one save slot is available. and one life. Dying prompts a full restart, or continuing on Hard Difficulty."

One slot save makes me think, no rotating saves? I'm guessing if you die, it deletes the save. 

23 minutes ago, dougrayman said:

One slot save makes me think, no rotating saves? I'm guessing if you die, it deletes the save. 

That's how permadeath generally works, yes. But the existence of a save file that you can overwrite as much as you want also means you can save scum.

Unless the save file is copy protected somehow? Some games had that on the PS3, but I have yet to see it on PS4 and beyond.

21 hours ago, HardModeTrophies said:

All of these points can be used to justify hacking and glitching trophies, by the way. I mean, it's just numbers on a screen, who cares, right?

I'm not saying I'm completely against cheesing, but I feel like the mentality being displayed here is... depressing? "The developer included an actually difficult trophy for once - I must find a way to cheat"

On top of that, this post is completely disingenuous given the context we're in (a website dedicated to trophy-hunting, with leaderboards and rarity statistics). Of course people care about the exclusivity of a plat, duh. It's like complaining about the fact that people on a bodybuilding forum care about their physique... 

My point is about people worrying about themselves more rather than holding others to their standards on what makes a "true trophy hunter/completionist" and letting people enjoy something in their own way. Ironically, your response is the exact type of thing I was even talking about in the first place. Not everyone cares about exclusivity. Others do. Some people don't care about completions, others do. Some people don't care about leader boards, others do. You cannot control these things. 

Being pragmatic, there is also a clear difference between hacking a game (not playing the game at all, 10-second plat) versus being savvy with the in-game/PS5 save system, or an unpatched bug left in the game by developers. You're playing the game as it is at that moment in time, it's just about whether you're willing to work smart > hard or crave "authentic" challenge. Both are equally valid. Typically, cheaters get banned and removed from leader boards anyway (I think?). The hard difficulty exploit in Callisto is a good recent example of this. No-one is forcing you to do it, but if you do it, you're not doing anything ban-worthy, so who cares?

Where I'm going with this is everyone will game and get satisfaction differently. Just do what you enjoy and feel is the "best". Kudos to you if you go for Permadeath without save scumming. 

20 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

This conversation with people complaining how others play the game comes up every time any even small workaround or glitch comes up. It's pointless, both complaining when game is too hard to platinum, too easy to platinum, has glitches, doesn't have glitches, etc. Just play the game and enjoy it. You are competitive and want challenge? Fine, do what makes you happy. You want a platinum as a way to "show" your love for a franchise without banging your head against the wall for tens of hours? Also fine. 

This is a more eloquent way of saying what I was trying to convey. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

lol all this fuss for a mere 6/10 on powerpyx and unlimited saves on Impossible mode ?

I will do it legit because I always play my games offline and the DS games has never been very hard, even on impossible. 

I don't mind if other people get the trophy by uploading their save on the cloud for safety, it's still more honorable than boosting MP trophies or worse asking other guys to unlock a trophy through Shareplay ....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tyxoune said:

Dead Space (2008) is one of my favourite game of all time and the new impossible mode with permadeath actually makes me very happy!

I loved Hardcore Mode in Dead Space 2 (I actually released a Let's Play on Hardcore on Youtube back in 2010, all in French) and I also enjoyed Dead Space 3's hardcore mode to an extent (didn't like the gameplay in general).

It's definitely a welcomed challenge!

If the gameplay is good then it will be a fun challenge - I remember very few cheap death spots in the original game, or one-shot kill from the environment (other than the turrets sections which weren't that tricky with a bit of training). This will definitely be skill based :)

I just can't wait :D (Well I have to get a PS5 first though :p)

Echoing your sentiment, seriously cannot wait and a pretty difficult challenge means I'll be spending far more time with the game because of it!

Happy to see a game that requires a bit more of the player to get the Platinum other than just "beat the game and pick up the collectibles"

What I will say - from a game design perspective - having a permadeath mode in which there are no limitations to saves such as ink ribbons from RE or Hardcore from Dead Space 2 is kind of stupid. It's like you implement a limitation and then make that limitation meaningless with the save system. Might as well not have it as "permadeath" at all and just have you respawn at your last save point (which in practice this is)

With that said, this is better than having a full, proper, permadeath in a long game such as Dead Space - nothing fun about having to sit through hours of the game without being able to turn off your console and take breaks. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patrickosan said:

So I assume you can finish game on Normal and then jump into Impossible on NG+, right? I think that's how it worked in previous games.

No, Impossible is not available on NG+ unless you beated it first. The optimal route is Impossible first and then NG+ with Plasma Cutter and everything else

I think I might go with a Plasma Cutter only run on Easy, follow it up with a NG+ run, and then a regular Impossible run to wrap it up. That way, I can dive into the game three separate times without rushing it or making it harder on myself. Been too long since I last played this, no way I could manage Impossible for my first playthrough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

No, Impossible is not available on NG+ unless you beated it first. The optimal route is Impossible first and then NG+ with Plasma Cutter and everything else

I figured maybe Impossible Plasma Cutter would be more optimal, then NG+ everything else....???

NG+ has stronger enemies and so maybe more tricky, even on easy, plus u cant even use the Hand Cannon then that you worked so hard to unlock.

It would also mean you need to try and get the 30 or so kills with each weapon on Impossible Mode which could make the whole thing much harder in every aspect (a lot of battles maybe more optimal to just sprint past) OR you need to make manual saves all throughout NG+ and grind later for all the different kills

This would be assuming you know what your doing beforehand of course or following a good walkthrough. If following a General Trophy Guide though, I guess you pretty much need to do 3 playthroughs

I'll just play it on normal and get everything I can. Then NG+ on whatever they allow. I'll do impossible, maybe, as a separate run without having to worry about anything else.

Thank God for unlimited saves. The last thing I want to worry about is wasting my own time due to arbitrary nonsense that punishes me for not having enough time in my life to play games.

• Like 1