Playstation Portal - New Remote Play device by Sony

Sailar91

Ps Portal  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the device?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe on discount

I think many phones are a bit too small for Remote Play, mine certainly is, so a Backbone doesn't really do me much good. With an 8 inch screen, this would be a significant step up and potentially interesting at the right price. It could also potentially be designed to work like a standard controller as well and in that case it's a viable secondary controller. At the right price and with good screen and battery, I could see myself buying this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

many phones are a bit too small for Remote Play

I think if this rumor pans out to have any basis in reality, this is the selling point. I platinumed almost all of Knack 2 and have played almost all of Disgaea 5 using remote play between my Vita and a 5.5”

mobile phone screen and that size was quite adequate. Having a larger screen size would be great, given the right balance of weight, battery life, performance (mainly wireless latency), display quality, and price and there’s a significant market with tons of people looking for exactly something like this, even if it’s just a Remote Play device. It essentially becomes a wireless display for PS4 and PS5, with a controller attached. 

Thinking about a high quality 8” screen wholesale price is around $30, battery is $5, controller parts around $20, wireless chipset $15, processor $25 they’re probably looking around $100 wholesale per unit for materials, adding in the R&D costs, they would probably need to make $160 per unit and price would likely be around the $250 mark. That’s a compelling offer. 

Probably too much to ask and hope for them to integrate Vita TV hardware so it can play Vita/PSP games though…

5 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

This sounds less like a real product that's coming out in the future and something that's closer to a proof of concept. With what features are rumored this almost sounds like a device that's not meant for a release all over the world and is something for only specific countries.

It's specifically labeled as an accessory so I think people might going overboard considering it to be a handheld. Thing is this supposed accessory merely does something they've already released

26 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think if this rumor pans out to have any basis in reality, this is the selling point. I platinumed almost all of Knack 2 and have played almost all of Disgaea 5 using remote play between my Vita and a 5.5”

mobile phone screen and that size was quite adequate. Having a larger screen size would be great, given the right balance of weight, battery life, performance (mainly wireless latency), display quality, and price and there’s a significant market with tons of people looking for exactly something like this, even if it’s just a Remote Play device. It essentially becomes a wireless display for PS4 and PS5, with a controller attached. 

Thinking about a high quality 8” screen wholesale price is around $30, battery is $5, controller parts around $20, wireless chipset $15, processor $25 they’re probably looking around $100 wholesale per unit for materials, adding in the R&D costs, they would probably need to make $160 per unit and price would likely be around the $250 mark. That’s a compelling offer. 

Probably too much to ask and hope for them to integrate Vita TV hardware so it can play Vita/PSP games though…

I wouldn't pay $250 (I assume US - that would be well over $300 CDN) for just that.

Again, love my Vita, have 3 of them, but that price point is basically what the Vita launched at and this isn't going to have it's own games?

I'm not arguing your math, you've thought it out well, but if it launches at that price and is just a mobile streaming device, it's DOA

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, majob said:

It's specifically labeled as an accessory so I think people might going overboard considering it to be a handheld. Thing is this supposed accessory merely does something they've already released

Yeah considering that Xbox has been having issues by releasing a less powerful version of it's console, it's very unlikely that Sony would follow that example and make a weaker PS5 even though it would be a handheld. We'll have to wait and see what develops because this could wind up getting shelved.

38 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I wouldn't pay $250 (I assume US - that would be well over $300 CDN) for just that.

Again, love my Vita, have 3 of them, but that price point is basically what the Vita launched at and this isn't going to have it's own games?

I'm not arguing your math, you've thought it out well, but if it launches at that price and is just a mobile streaming device, it's DOA

DOA for you, sure, but for a whole lot of people, it would be really compelling. 

4 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

The Vita I don't really count, and was never going to buy it and still won't - and the whole mobile phone streaming, and the backbone stuff; not a fan of it - it's more of a gimmick, but this new device will be purpose built, and I'm sure it will be much more than what we think it is; otherwise it'd be a glorified phone add-on clone.

Your unwillingness to purchase something has no bearing on the current existence of possibilities though.

The Backbone plays PS5 games on my iPhone 13 perfectly fine. Especially compared to remote play years ago. It has come a long, long way. Apart from a few things though;

1. The sticks feel off at first, but you get used to it. Still, even after many hours the sticks on a PS5 controller still feel better. Though you could just use your DS5 on the remote play as well.
  2. The touchpad is obviously missing, so it uses your phone screen instead. This requires you to tap the screen twice and it's just not intuitive at all. Brings up backbone menus and everything.
  3. The Backbone doesn't turn on the console. This is a major pain in the ass.
  4. It's not dedicated, so it comes with some bloat. I much prefer dedicated devices that serve one purpose only.
Edited by Alayaes
  • Like 1

IF (and only if) you can play outside, say in the train to work or whatever, I'm in. Maybe the whole idea is like connecting it to your PS5 and copying the game to the handheld. If it's only a remote play gadget... I bought a grip on Aliexpress for like... ¿5€? to attach to the Dual Sense and put your mobile on a clip, and I don't need more.

We'll see!

40 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Your unwillingness to purchase something has no bearing on the current existence of possibilities though.

The Backbone plays PS5 games on my iPhone 13 perfectly fine. Especially compared to remote play years ago. It has come a long, long way. Apart from a few things though;

1. The sticks feel off at first, but you get used to it. Still, even after many hours the sticks on a PS5 controller still feel better. Though you could just use your DS5 on the remote play as well.
  2. The touchpad is obviously missing, so it uses your phone screen instead. This requires you to tap the screen twice and it's just not intuitive at all. Brings up backbone menus and everything.
  3. The Backbone doesn't turn on the console. This is a major pain in the ass.
  4. It's not dedicated, so it comes with some bloat. I much prefer dedicated devices that serve one purpose only.

That's what I mean - there are always caveats to these things - Remote Play just isn't fully there yet; but being able to do it on PC has always been great, but the rest feel gimmicky and underdeveloped; I've used it on my phone (RP) before, (Android APK) and a lot is to be desired.  My gripe with the PSP (which I did support), and Vita: is proprietary features, software and hardware; and things like games that stay stuck to that platform and can't be accessed elsewhere on other newer devices when it becomes end of life; unless remastered or ported - thankfully the PS5 with PS4 back-compat was a great step in the right direction for game preservation.  And so, there are amazing games till this days that are stuck on those essentially abandoned platforms - there's some really great games I wish we could play on the PS5 and 4 from the Sony handhelds.  Some have been ported and some are still being done, but others are ignored and left there.  This new device excites me because I think it might just be the thing to bridge the gap if done right.

There's still a lot we don't know yet.  But I understand completely, what you and some of the others are saying.  A lot of these new non-Sony handhelds that support the Remote Play app does sound interesting to me though, as you can use the larger screen, brighter back-light and actual purpose-built controls meant for gaming, like the new ROG just as an example - devices like that excite me, but the whole backbone and use your phone just doesn't do it for me, nor the idea of owning a Vita.

30 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

IF (and only if) you can play outside, say in the train to work or whatever, I'm in.

I hadn’t considered a 5G connection, only wifi, but 5G (assuming proper coverage), is probably the first type of cellular connection that can properly stream games at the latency and fidelity I’d want. Unfortunately that’s going to mean a monthly bill, so I’d probably never go that route, but would be a great option. 

That however begs the question of whether Sony just uses an 8” android tablet with a controller built on, or custom builds an OS ala Vita and whether they would open that up for apps to do other things over wireless. Android means eventual piracy, but also doesn’t require Sony to reinvent the wheel. 

Now I’m more skeptical than hopeful and am just going to assume this is another internal project Sony just experiments with that won’t see the light of day in its current rumored implementation. 

• Like 2

Just now, DaivRules said:

I hadn’t considered a 5G connection, only wifi, but 5G (assuming proper coverage), is probably the first type of cellular connection that can properly stream games at the latency and fidelity I’d want. Unfortunately that’s going to mean a monthly bill, so I’d probably never go that route, but would be a great option. 

That however begs the question of whether Sony just uses an 8” android tablet with a controller built on, or custom builds an OS ala Vita and whether they would open that up for apps to do other things over wireless. Android means eventual piracy, but also doesn’t require Sony to reinvent the wheel. 

Now I’m more skeptical than hopeful and am just going to assume this is another internal project Sony just experiments with that won’t see the light of day in its current rumored implementation. 

No, I wasn't thinking of any form of streaming. More like... You connect your Vita2 to your PS5, download the games on your PS5 and then transfer them to your Vita2. I don't know, something like that. I don't see any pros of having a handheld to play at my own house when you can do it with almost any device (mobile, ipad, tablet, PC, laptop...)

6 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

No, I wasn't thinking of any form of streaming. More like... You connect your Vita2 to your PS5, download the games on your PS5 and then transfer them to your Vita2. I don't know, something like that. I don't see any pros of having a handheld to play at my own house when you can do it with almost any device (mobile, ipad, tablet, PC, laptop...)

Well in case, there is no way Sony is packing the processing power of a PS5 into the form factor of a 8 inch tablet. With how much power a PS5 draws and how much heat it puts out, as well as not being able to shrink down that processor and it’s heat sink, that’s just not going to happen, regardless of how much they’d charge for it. It’s not physically possible. 

And the pro would be an 8 inch screen with a first party controller and first party support. Other pros would presumably be mentioned when or if it became real. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Well in case, there is no way Sony is packing the processing power of a PS5 into the form factor of a 8 inch tablet. With how much power a PS5 draws and how much heat it puts out, as well as not being able to shrink down that processor and it’s heat sink, that’s just not going to happen, regardless of how much they’d charge for it. It’s not physically possible. 

Yeah, you're right here. Well, we just need to wait and see what's coming.

Edited by breakXedge

1 minute ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

How do you guys even use remote play on your smartphone when there's all icons on the screen? I tried it before and all those icons are distracting, it's not even full screen. 

There's a device called a backbone; which is very much similar'ish to Switch joycons that can attach and be detached to and from your mobile device.

Edited by J-S_93

11 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

How do you guys even use remote play on your smartphone when there's all icons on the screen? I tried it before and all those icons are distracting, it's not even full screen. 

Or you can connect your DualSense via bluetooth (if your device is compatible) and use a clip like this one: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001717394308.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Hook up a controller so you don't have icons on the screen. Use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Remote-OIVO-Adjustable-Playstation/dp/B07Z4RFKXD/