Sailar91

Ps Portal  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the device?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe on discount

Bad idea from bad creative. 

Had they made a handheld, an actual handheld. Not some wifi hybrid controller shit where you still need the ps5.... then perhaps we'd have something worth discussing. But nah, basically there way of saying "backbone fans, we hear you and we want to one up them".

Like VR2, i couldn't give a fuck less.

Yikes. I was expecting to see some interest towards the device from the community here. The reception overall seems pretty bad from what I read over the internets. I could find it being useful in certain scenarios like a family member wanting to watch tv and you'd be able to continue your game on that thing. But kind of a niche accessory if you can't even stream Game Pass games to it. Maybe we'll learn more about its capabilities soon.

37 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Yikes. I was expecting to see some interest towards the device from the community here. The reception overall seems pretty bad from what I read over the internets. I could find it being useful in certain scenarios like a family member wanting to watch tv and you'd be able to continue your game on that thing. But kind of a niche accessory if you can't even stream Game Pass games to it. Maybe we'll learn more about its capabilities soon.

It would definitely be useful to play games through remote play, but since a ton of people have smartphones it's presumably a lot cheaper to buy a Razer Kishi or Backbone controller and use your phone as a screen if you want to play when the TV is occupied. I do this a lot and it works perfectly well. The Sony device is only 1.3" larger than my phone screen so unless it's super-cheap or offers some unannounced functionality regarding game streaming then it looks like it's just a Sony branded remote play gadget that has a decent sized screen bolted on to a DualSense controller.

Sony has a questionable track record with non-PlayStation gizmos over the years, and you often wonder how some of them got approved in the first place. It remains to be seen if this is a success or failure, but my initial take on this as announced is that it's strictly for remote play from PS5 and you have to wonder how much of a market there really is for a dedicated device that does this.

I mean maybe if they pulled the PS Remote app for iOS and Android so that gamers were forced to buy one of these, but that would just annoy a lot of people rather than incentivize people to buy one.

19 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Yeah but the Vita can do remote play over the Internet since 10 years ago.

And it can also do remote play locally without needing the Internet.

And it also has its own exclusive game library via the "Vita" platform.

So this new device is already outdated, albeit a bigger screen than the Vita and (presumably) two shoulder buttons and not having to rely on the back screen like the Vita did.

Unless I don't know the full story, this new handheld is very underwhelming at best.

I mean it's kinda like Stadia except smaller screen, I mean who has full Internet on the bus for example?

A waste of money.

Well, yeah, that's why most people are dragging the hell out of it. It seems pointless. 

1 hour ago, TalalHmd said:

The vita could remote play locally without needing the Internet? I didn't know this

if this handheld can do this, then it's better than remote play on the phone/ipad. they should confirm if this won't need an internet 

Just to be clear, you do need to be in the vicinity of your house though lol.

It appears to work like AdHoc and wireless, so you do need to be within several metres of where your PS4 is. I swap my Internet cable between my PC and PS4, and when it's plugged into my PC and not PS4 it works fine.

I wish Sony would make good products again tbh 
Moving HQ out of California May be the Answer & rethink the handheld / hardware market.
Tired of subscription / online only software but likely won't go away anytime soon.  :I 

I'm no business / investor guy though so my thoughts on what makes money is baseless.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Given how often I travel, I honestly am interested.

It won't be great for all games, but I would sooner have this than bring my PS5 with me on a plane.

You can only stream from your PS5 if you’re on the same WiFi network with it, so that’s not possible. 

23 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

LOL.

Holy fuck.

Yeah, that is basically my reaction. This is only intended for home use when you can't use the TV the PS5 is connected to. I'm not paying $300 CDN for that.

I could live with it not having it's own games, but if I can't even preload games on it to play while away, this thing is an expensive brick.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not to buy it. The price is about what I expected, so I'm not bothered in that regard. My issue is how much use it would get. There was a time when I used remote play on my laptop frequently, like pretty much every day, but these days I only do so occasionally. Having a dedicated device for when I need to use remote play does appeal to me, but I still don't know if I could justify it.

IF it had the ability to stream cloud games as well then it would be a much better prospect for a lot of people, myself included, especially now that PS5 game streaming via PS Plus Premium is launching soon. It makes me wonder if that is something they could patch in to the device. I don't know if that would be possible though, but if it was then I'd happily buy it. 

The pre-loading of games so it can work without wi-fi would be its only saving grace. I understand that most 100Gb AAA games wouldn’t run on it, but sub-1Gb visual novels or 2d platformers don’t seem like a huge stretch of processing capacity?

Otherwise, a Backbone is… half-price? And a phone/tablet to which you connect your DualSense through Bluetooth is basically free?

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

portal1
/ˈpɔːtl/

noun
nounportalplural nounportals

a doorway, gate, or other entrance, especially a large and imposing one.

...through which if you walk, this device will, apparently, not function?