Playstation Portal - New Remote Play device by Sony

Sailar91

Ps Portal  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the device?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe on discount

I always wish for another SONY handheld and i simply give the current Facts and my Wishes:

FACTS:

• It will be using Streaming technologies and the Adaptive Trigger/ haptic feedback wich don't have any Third party Controller for your Smartphone
  • It will be not cloud Streaming ONLY. In Fact the people are more denieing it. Will it be a simple Remote Update for the current time.
  •  Use a Touchscreen LCD

Wishes:

• Backwards compatibly to VITA Games. This would be no Problemat all and if you can connect this Steam Deck Thing to a TV/Monitor it would also a replace for PSTV
  • A good Proccessor and a Cardridge System to actually can Play Games when you not Play Remote or using Cloud
  • Depending on the hardware this could be "cheap" for 200-300€/$ sold.
  • Sony seems to will go in direct Combat against Switch 2 seeing the amazing Solds of this Hardware with horrible technis had them wake up. Maybe we get exclusives backs.

I can't really say I care about it for now. There are more than a few things it would compete with as a Remote Play machine. You have GPDWin, Steam Deck, your mobile phone, and the list goes on. It needs a little extra something. Emulation of some past PS hardware?

Add official emulators for PS1/2 and PSP/Vita which would support PSN game purchases, and it may be more relevant. A processor with enough kick to emulate PS3 may not be within the desired price (I'd like to be wrong about that).

22 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Isn’t this still all a rumor?

Yes sure. But its the Facts we know about the rumors :D

We will not known more for this for a long time either i guess. This reminds me of the Wii-U Controller. It also had allmost no technic inside wich was it feeling a realy light Controller.

I have no idea, but could people buy a Wii-U Controller seperate back than at what price maybe?

13 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Looking at the Steamdeck, the LG streaming handheld, the ASUS ROG handheld, and the half dozen other PC handhelds that have or are coming out, Sony would be absolutely dumb to come out with something that they’re going to get compared unfairly to and it would be outpaced like never before. 

A streaming device would be simple enough, since it’s really just a specialized mobile phone with a controller strapped to it, but it’s not something I would think has a large enough market to lower the costs to make it compelling. 

You can plat PS4 games on the toilet right now with a Vita or a mobile phone and Remote Play. 

What's especially dumb is that you can do this on Vita already. I remember a friend back in 2013 or so showing me playing his PS4 remotely using someone else's Wifi which I found to be incredible.

If only Sony had invested in the tech and infrastructure and supported Vita a bit more. I mean if Sony is genuinely making a device to do this, they're basically replacing a device of theirs that already sold millions and in most cases (without the PS5 feedback stuff) can already potentially play any game on PS4 and almost anygame on PS5.

Instead they seemed to go the PS Vita TV route instead....

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sneak peek revealed:

dualsense-controller-product-thumbnail-0

lol. By the way, any else popped a platinum on Vita remoteplay while taking a dump? I can say I've done one platinum like this. (Grinding kllls for weapon mastery on Arslan Musou lol)

On 05/04/2023 at 0:58 PM, The Alchemist said:

This (if true) will disappoint a lot of people who were maybe expecting a proper successor to the Vita. Personally I'm surprised they're even doing this, considering your smartphone does the exact same job already and you can already pick up a number of different options that plug straight into your smartphone to act as a controller, like the Backbone for example. Aside from the integrated DualSense features being touted, I really don't see anything unique about this. Being a cloud-only device makes perfect sense, I just don't know who would actually want it. 

Yup, it is disappointing although Sony almost never does anything right. They’re slow turtles on drugs, like in the movie Nemo, who need a lot of time to finally get what we want, dude.

Why not make a better Vita? Why do they continue to do everything wrong? Sony should hire me.

Edited by LoveInHell

8 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Why not make a better Vita? Why do they continue to do everything wrong? Sony should hire me.

They're already split between PS5 and PSVR2, adding a portable would just make support for the other two worse. Look at Xbox needing to support the Series X and Series S you're getting worse performance for games because of that because everything needs to be made for the lower spec system first. You make a new Vita and you'll wind up with little to no support from it outside of ports which would be playable on the PS5 more than likely. There really isn't room for a portable unless sony decides to massively redesign the PS5 to make it a portable and give it the same amount of power and performance as it's console version. This prototype looks like it can fill somewhat of a vacant space without jeopardizing the hardware.

I adore the VITA and looking at the info out there for this successor leaves me completely cold.

The online requirements would completely destroy the idea of portability as it would be useless on long journeys without a constant uninterrupted Internet connection. 

From my perspective I fail to see the audience this expensive PS5 add on is selling to? 

Yeah, portable gaming is most valuable to me in situations where im not at home and not every place i go to has reliable wifi(a hospital i took my dad to had wifi that was so bogged down by the essential hospital specific devices that game streaming is a miserable experience) or when the power is out. A device that has no offline option has no use to me as the whole point of handheld gaming is convenience and this doesn't sound like convenience to me.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 1:53 PM, DaivRules said:

I guess the first question would be: How much would you pay for a smartphone with a really nice 8 inch screen? There aren't any, but the larger screen sizes tend to be way over the $100 price you think is too expensive for this.

Granted this is all still a rumor, but I don't think Sony is in any way saying you can't just use any capable phone with a controller and Remote Play, just like they're not telling people they have to buy their newest 65" Bravia OLED TVs. There's definitely a market for a nice, 8-inch Remote Play device for the appropriate price, even if it's not you.

Settings Button (three dots, only shows in Portrait mode) > Gear button on bottom left > Always show controller > Off

But every phone has a nice screen now. My phone is 4 years old and still is great. Yeah, it's only a 6.4 inch screen, but I dont want anything bigger to carry around with me anyway. An 8 inch screen plus a full controller attached is way too big for a pocket. Which alone further takes away from the point of it. Especially since you would already be carrying your phone, and it can do the same thing. And then some. At best, it would be more of a question if it's worth it to pay 100-200 to carry around an extra device for an extra ~1.5 inches of screen. And that's assuming it really is 8 inches.

A phone is also something everyone already has. At least those that can afford luxury items like gaming consoles. Let alone ones with a very specific purpose that require other hardware and offer no unique games. Not to mention that if you have enough money to spend an extra 100-200 for something that you're phone already does, you likely have a top of the line phone already. And if you care about size, you already have the biggest one possible. And if you care about using a controller on your phone, you already have one. Making it even more pointless.

I just really don't understand the market for an item like this. Outside of people with way too much money who want to use Remote Play on their phone, but don't know how, but somehow also never even tried. Which I can't imagine is all that many people.

4 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

That's big, no? 1f914.png

No idea. I really don't care about phones. I just know it's considered old so there must be bigger ones now.

Good to see people reading whole posts rather than just reacting to something. Thanks for the reminder to never post.

Edited by ExHaseo

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

No idea. I really don't care about phones. I just know it's considered old so there must be bigger ones now.

6inch is the perfect size. Is for me anyway. 

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Good to see people reading whole posts rather than just reacting to something. Thanks for the reminder to never post.

Lol what the hell? 

huge corporations like Sony have a duty to their investors to explore new products, especially products based on popular trends, that's all this is, it will be a dead on arrival overpriced peripheral that most of the time won't work as advertised just so Sony can say they've done their duty to their investors

On 4/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, ExHaseo said:

But every phone has a nice screen now. My phone is 4 years old and still is great. Yeah, it's only a 6.4 inch screen, but I dont want anything bigger to carry around with me anyway. An 8 inch screen plus a full controller attached is way too big for a pocket. Which alone further takes away from the point of it. Especially since you would already be carrying your phone, and it can do the same thing. And then some. At best, it would be more of a question if it's worth it to pay 100-200 to carry around an extra device for an extra ~1.5 inches of screen. And that's assuming it really is 8 inches.

A phone is also something everyone already has. At least those that can afford luxury items like gaming consoles. Let alone ones with a very specific purpose that require other hardware and offer no unique games. Not to mention that if you have enough money to spend an extra 100-200 for something that you're phone already does, you likely have a top of the line phone already. And if you care about size, you already have the biggest one possible. And if you care about using a controller on your phone, you already have one. Making it even more pointless.

I just really don't understand the market for an item like this. Outside of people with way too much money who want to use Remote Play on their phone, but don't know how, but somehow also never even tried. Which I can't imagine is all that many people.

You're describing what most people would consider a complicated workaround, which is what Remote Play is right now. Having to sync up a controller to your phone, download a particular app, marry it to your console, etc. This is all very possible, but a large number of people just don't want this type of headache. Not to mention, most people want to use their phones while they play games without having to exit out of the Remote Play app. Replying to text messages, looking up guides/questions, social media, etc. All that interrupts a Remote Play session, which is sometimes a pain in the ass to get started again.

If they release a dedicated device that simply turns on and works, it'll absolutely have a market. Me included. $150-200 isn't that much money, and if it frees up my phone and provides a dedicated device that can actually turn on my system without bloat or other nonsense then I'm all for it.

If people didn't mind tinkering and jumping through even a few minor hoops, a lot of people would be PC gamers. The allure of console gaming is partly how plug-and-play it is, and I wouldn't call Remote Play user-friendly at the moment (taking into account the general population).

• Like 1

Time will tell whether or not a new Sony handheld console will really be released. I wouldn’t engage in heated discussions on an issue that is uncertain today. It’s up to everyone’s free decision to give enough credibility to the speculations of users on the Internet. However, here I have seen useful and interesting comments regarding the strengths and weaknesses of existing handheld consoles, as well as a series of aspects to take into consideration for the hypothetical new machine.

In my personal experience, I haven’t had an interest in a handheld console since the time of PlayStation Portable and I really don’t believe that any handheld console will arouse my interest in the near future, taking into consideration that neither PlayStation Vita nor Nintendo Switch got it at the time. In fact, I tend to think that, if it’s true that Sony is going to launch a new handheld console on the market, it will do so trying to get closer to Nintendo Switch than to what was PlayStation Vita.

In any case, my lack of interest in portable consoles lies in a fundamental aspect: the environment. I need peace of mind to enjoy a game, just like it happens when I want to see a movie; a random place doesn’t work. Which place is right? The home. So, what would be the point of playing on a handheld console in a location where you can play more comfortably on your main console, such as PlayStation 5, for example? Those who typically answer that they can play while sitting on the toilet, I would tell them to check their gastrointestinal health or, in any case, their order of priorities in life.

Jokes aside, where I would see a portable console useful, it would be if I had to be in a specific place for a long period of time, such as a plane trip to the other side of the planet. In such situations you can watch movies, play video games, read a couple of books or even sleep. But, as in most cases in more or less routine situations, the time you may be waiting and the atmosphere aren’t ideal, such as a short trip on the subway or bus, I would find it more comfortable to listen to music, a podcast, some game too... or anything you do with a mobile phone or an iPod. But it’s already quite a nuisance to go with your phone everywhere, as well as to carry a console with you too. That you probably won’t even take it out on most occasions from wherever you take it; either in a pocket or in a small backpack.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The price point is what I'm wondering. This will be a premium product, and it's essentially a super-premium controller. After all, it can't do anything without the PS5. I'm interested, it would be cool to play PS5 games in my bed or another room without having to try Remote Play on my smartphone. 

My hands are full and I won't be able to watch it all until tomorrow at the earliest, can someone just tell me if this thing is like the Wii U game pad, or like Remote Play?

Wii U gamepad was great, had a local connection, little to no lag, and the thing just worked, flawlessly, with or without internet, but the WITHOUT part being why I care. Remote Play is shit and I've been using it since the PSP days, it's a fun novelty, but I'd never want to play a full game, or even a full game session with it. Wii U gamepad? Hell, I still break it out from time to time, we played a bunch of local 2 player Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 like a month ago. If the Q can work like that, without internet, I'll buy twenty of them. If it needs internet, I'll pass, hard.

Alright, which one of you jerks used the damned monkey paw to wish for a new handheld?

17 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

What an extremely disappointing announcement for myself. Internet required why? Seems stupid to do a Handheld device that requires internet. 

Because it’s apparently not a regular handheld, and just a controller with a screen to be used for remote play.

Edited by AlphaLiquid-X

18 minutes ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

Alright, which one of you jerks used the damned monkey paw to wish for a new handheld?

Because it’s apparently not a regular handheld, and just a controller with a screen to be used for remote play.

Yeah but the Vita can do remote play over the Internet since 10 years ago.

And it can also do remote play locally without needing the Internet.

And it also has its own exclusive game library via the "Vita" platform.

So this new device is already outdated, albeit a bigger screen than the Vita and (presumably) two shoulder buttons and not having to rely on the back screen like the Vita did.

Unless I don't know the full story, this new handheld is very underwhelming at best.

I mean it's kinda like Stadia except smaller screen, I mean who has full Internet on the bus for example?

A waste of money.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2