Playstation Portal - New Remote Play device by Sony

Sailar91

Ps Portal  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the device?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe on discount

As someone who uses remote play a lot for VN and JRPG’s, I’m mildly interested in this. But yeah, I can’t see this being useful to the average gamer.

Don’t understand the no Bluetooth though? Is that confirmed? Is that just to push the new headphones?

I have been quite happy streaming my PS4 to first my Vita and then my Playstation TV on my local network. In fact, this announcement motivated me to reinstall the latter so I can play in bed. It makes all the difference to have both the PS4 and the Playstation TV connected through ethernet. Then I get great quality and good response times for my inputs.

My experiences using the same setup(s) over the internet have not been great. I have tried it a couple of times, always in houses with good quality wifi located at a maximum of around 50 tot 75 km's from my home/PS4. There is a very noticeable decrease in image quality and it often lags for a short time. Even worse, the problems increase over time, so the connection seems to become gradually worse.

Unless they have rethought and redeveloped all tech involved I would expect the same for this device. Playing on your LAN will mostly be good or even great, depending on your wifi or if you are willing to use wires. But I will be very curious to find out what people's experiences become using the Portal over the internet. That it is possible technically does not mean it will be a good or even decent experience.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

21 hours ago, maisie666 said:

I don t own a phone, or tablet and my laptop lags when i use remote play.   If they can get lag free gaming, this would be perfect for me, i like using a handheld .  I ll be looking at the serious test reviews and see how it fares.  California????

@Elvick_ has a unexplained beef with Sony California, SE and he hates Censorship, but I'm not gonna continue with that.

While PS Portal seems nice, the price for it, yikes.

Edited by Alantor32
Double posted by accident.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrophyChief said:

I went ahead and pre-ordered this. I'm a good example of being a user case for this device. Looking forward to playing games on it.

On the plus side you will own a rare device by the end of the year and can re-sell for people with FOMO. To be honest I'm glad to hear a positive comment here.

At first, I was going to disregard it since I also thought it only worked on the same internet connection, but after I found out it works on any internet connection, things got interesting for me. My biggest concern is that I still buy a lot of my games physically, so if I do end up buying this and taking it somewhere, my only option is to play downloaded games and hopefully the one disc that I left in the tray.

What intrigues me is the possibility of playing games with friends in the same room. If you are visiting them or something and want to play multiplayer, you don’t need to lug your entire PS5 anymore, you can just bring this and then join a multiplayer lobby while they play on the TV and you on the Portal. Sure, you can just stay home and play together too, but I like to visit my friends on the weekends and since most games don’t even have a split screen option anymore, this would be a nice way to hang out and play games. I play Mario Kart 8 a lot with these friends, and split screening kind of sucks anyway, so bringing my own Switch and then having my own dedicated screen is a huge benefit and makes the experience much more enjoyable. I think the Portal has the potential to do the same thing, only with Playstation games instead.

• Like 2

I actually really like it's design, having a full size, ergonomic, controller is just perfect. Recent handhelds have mostly gone for Switch like controls and I have trouble with them after playing for a while, but that's why I use Dualsense with Remote Play instead of something like a Backbone

And right now I'm worried about battery life and performance/connectivity. While playing on my phone I have huge battery life and with a 5G connection I get near flawless gameplay meaning the only true advantage of Portal is the bigger screen...

• 2 weeks later...

I am remote playing using the 3rd party app i bought from google play store. I can also use my dual sense unlike the official app, yes it s free but it lacks and lagtardglitchy especially old ps4 games! 

Maybe ill go for razer kishi, backbone is only for apple i guess! 

If playstation portal has the capabilities i want, forget the razer kishi. 

On 9/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, ReverzerO- said:

I am remote playing using the 3rd party app i bought from google play store. I can also use my dual sense unlike the official app, yes it s free but it lacks and lagtardglitchy especially old ps4 games! 

Maybe ill go for razer kishi, backbone is only for apple i guess! 

If playstation portal has the capabilities i want, forget the razer kishi. 

You can use the Dualsense with official app now, that's what I use. 

And the Backbone is compatible with Android, you just need to be careful and buy the Android version of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JavaNext said:

You can use the Dualsense with official app now, that's what I use. 

And the Backbone is compatible with Android, you just need to be careful and buy the Android version of it.

Thanks but Still not working for me! The pop say, 

Can' t use this controller.

Your device doesn't support this controller, so you can't use it with remote play. 

Im happy with the app im using, i can also record and screenshot with less delay playing the old games unlike the official app, this game is almost unplayable because of glitches! 

spacer.png

For the backbone, havent seen one in the store and online shops, im looking for type-c version. Thanks for the info tho😊

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

are you away from home a lot?

I am on public transport when I head to the office, so that's a 2.5 hour for a round trip. Or going on holidays.

Other reasons, when I or the kids can't be at the TV.

1 minute ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

I am on public transport when I head to the office, so that's a 2.5 hour for a round trip. Or going on holidays.

Other reasons, when I or the kids can't be at the TV.

sounds like you will get the most out of it then :) hope you like it