What game disappointed you the most recently?

Just wondering what game made you quit recently because how disappointed you got after you realized how wrong your expectations where

For me it was:

NFS Unboud.

The game punish you for racing...on a racing game.

You need to get out of your way to avoid the cops and police...the more you race...the more heat you get and that makes sense.. but at the end of the day you race for 3 minutes and have a 15 minutes police chase and its constant. The cops are a core mechanic of the game but its way overplayed... sometimes you have 6 cop cars near you and you need to wait or waste minutes to go around just so you dont trigger another 15 minutes chase .. when you just want to do the damn races and move along with the story...and guess what you are probably going to reach your destination and a random chopper its going to spawn and still stop you from access the race...why? Fuck you thats why...no one races on this racing game.

10 hours in i was done...i have a job..i dont need to feel like its a chore to have fun on this game.

• Like 2

Mines Diablo 4. Last few seasons have not been enjoyable and ive gotten bored of same mechanics  and grind with little to no endgame other then to farm the same bosses over and over .  This game was the  reason i bought my ps5 last year. ( big Diablo nerd) I enjoyed the beta , the launch and the first season . played 1400+ hours of this game  within the first  few months . I keep going back to check out each season since but only end up bored or disappointed.  I will keep going back and hoping for improvement. At least i feel i got my moneys worth . One good thing that came out of it  was buying the ps5 and getting to explore a variety of different types of games ive never tried before.

Edited by nyx770
  • Like 3

It's a few months old, but one that comes to mind is Crymachina

I really enjoyed Crystar, it had its flaws but the story was engaging and the final chapters were good, plus the ending was satisfying. I expected Crymachina to improve on what made Crystar good, but instead, it feels "less" on almost every level: less content, less characters, less story, less everything. Well, except grinding: that was definitely "more" than the original.

At the very least it was short, so it wasn't hard to complete it. 

Edited by Darghel
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, kusuriuriPT said:

Just wondering what game made you quit recently because how disappointed you got after you realized how wrong your expectations where

For me it was:

NFS Unboud.

The game punish you for racing...on a racing game.

You need to get out of your way to avoid the cops and police...the more you race...the more heat you get and that makes sense.. but at the end of the day you race for 3 minutes and have a 15 minutes police chase and its constant. The cops are a core mechanic of the game but its way overplayed... sometimes you have 6 cop cars near you and you need to wait or waste minutes to go around just so you dont trigger another 15 minutes chase .. when you just want to do the damn races and move along with the story...and guess what you are probably going to reach your destination and a random chopper its going to spawn and still stop you from access the race...why? Fuck you thats why...no one races on this racing game.

10 hours in i was done...i have a job..i dont need to feel like its a chore to have fun on this game.

Oh man, i was looking for this game, but that game thing is just nuts

22 minutes ago, nyx770 said:

Mines Diablo 4. Last few seasons have not been enjoyable and ive gotten bored of same mechanics  and grind with little to no endgame other then to farm the same bosses over and over .  This game was the  reason i bought my ps5 last year. ( big Diablo nerd) I enjoyed the beta , the launch and the first season . played 1400+ hours of this game  within the first  few months . I keep going back to check out each season since but only end up bored or disappointed.  I will keep going back and hoping for improvement. At least i feel i got my moneys worth . One good thing that came out of it  was buying the ps5 and getting to explore a variety of different types of games ive never tried before.

Also diablo fan here, heard the game is annoying because the game progres system is a joke, no matter how good you become enemies will be punch sponges, in a boring way, and its a shame because i was expecting this tbh

I will be getting FF7 Rebirth, cant wait to see a more open world and see what new things they add, i say this because i hope the game at the story part is good, many people try to 

guess what changes will happen at the story which is a huge thing for FF7 fans.

A couple that come to mind:

Tintin Reporter: The Curse of the Pharaoh disappointed me quite a bit - it's not like my expectations for a Tintin game were sky high - I'm not a literal psychopath -  but it was absolutely dripping in bugs and glitches, and just didn't live up to a pretty nice looking game.

Jusant was quite disappointing - I like those kind of meditative, zen games, but that one felt a bit half baked, and the "there's only one right way" levels felt antithetical to the freeform climbing mechanics. 

the bigger one was probably Chained Echoes though.

It's a throwback to SNES era JRPGs, but it felt like it massively missed the point, and didn't understand what about those games were good, so it was just a bit of a humourless, narrative mess, and so bogged down with unnecessary systems that the game really suffered in pacing.

6 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Oh man, i was looking for this game, but that game thing is just nuts

Also diablo fan here, heard the game is annoying because the game progres system is a joke, no matter how good you become enemies will be punch sponges, in a boring way, and its a shame because i was expecting this tbh

I will be getting FF7 Rebirth, cant wait to see a more open world and see what new things they add, i say this because i hope the game at the story part is good, many people try to 

guess what changes will happen at the story which is a huge thing for FF7 fans.

Yes game has too many broken build exploits/ glitches. They made it super easy to lvl to 100 and overall now takes little brainpower  which means you get bored way to fast . Launch and s1 were not so bad . Unless you play on hc  then its a tiny bit more difficult as you have to play some attention. I wish they would remove the cheap death elixr as it makes hc too easy . I dont like cheat deaths in diablo3 either.

Even though I do think Spider-Man 2 is a good game, I was very disappointed with how safe Insomniac made it. There were pacing problems and the game didn't balance having two protagonists very well. Miles was just kinda there. I'm hoping 3 can fix this and let both characters shine. And for the love of god, stop making MJ sections.

• Like 3

Previously it was Sifu. A game that I expected to be a kung fu fever dream , ended up being a janky slap simulator.

But that one was dethroned by Wet, one of the blandest, clunkiest and buggiest games I touched on the PS3 😅

• Like 3

Oh man, freakin Ultros. I read a bunch of positive things about it and am having no fun. I understand that it is a metroidvania and all that, but it is taking way too long to unlock simple traversal mechanics. It's infuriating trying to explore this game when a simple double jump needs to be re-unlocked every cycle. And then they just add in artificial walls sometimes, but you don't know when it will happen and also, sometimes something you have will break them, sometimes they wont. Same wall, different requirements. The combat is not deep at all and yet they expect you to mix up your attacks constantly in order to get good rewards from defeated enemies. 

I can only hope that once I power through my initial playthrough that I have the ability to move around more freely to explore. I am not looking forward to replaying for the pacifist run.

6 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Previously it was Sifu. A game that I expected to be a kung fu fever dream , ended up being a janky slap simulator.

But that one was dethroned by Wet, one of the blandest, clunkiest and buggiest games I touched on the PS3 😅

Oh man, Wet was a huge disappointment for me. The double guns just sucked.

And I fully agree on Sifu. I had much more success just button mashing to beat the final boss than actually trying any strategies.

• Like 1

Probably a controversial choice, but Ghosts of Tsushima. 

It was absolutely beautiful, and the combat was fun. But for an open-world game, it was just so empty and lifeless. There was no incentive to explore, because everything was just fox dens and hot spas. The main character was pretty bland, and the story wasn't particularly interesting. 

I felt like I'd experienced everything the game had to offer after about 10-15 hours. 

Again, beautiful atmosphere and slick combat, but overall I was disappointed given how celebrated it was. 

• Like 4

For me it was probably FF XVI. It was an ok game but not brilliant. I was kind of disappointed that we only got to use Ifrit and Phoenix occasionally and there wasn't so many fights using the aeons. Plus the Final Fantasy mode was a bad attempt at making a hard playthrough where all it did was give the enemies more health and didn't make anything really that hard. 

Still got hope for Rebirth though as I loved FF VII Remake but I'm coming to the end of my love for Final Fantasy.  

• Like 1

FF VII R
It's neither a good rpg nor a good action game. Story makes my head hurt. Locations are extremely boring. Character design and graphics are A+ but that's about it. I guess I didn't hate it, but can't understand why is everyone raving about it. 
Rebirth looks somehow better but the only way I'll play it is the game coming to PS+.

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Without even having to think, I immediately chose Horizon: Forbidden West. Such a boring game.

100% agree. While the first game was really good, the sequel was boring as hell. Forbidden West instantly came to mind when I saw the topic title. 

• Like 2

almost every aspect of the game was disappointing except for curiously exploring. Haven’t even got the motivation to finish it for the platinum and took a few breaks while playing it due to frustration and boredom. 

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 for sure.

It's not a masterpiece (that word is so overused these days) as some people say. They somehow improved the combat mechanics while also downgrading it in some ways like the gadgets system. The worst part was the story and while I enjoyed certain moments, it was a colossal mess with plot holes and points that felt forced. It was a letdown from the previous game in which I thought the writing was excellent despite a few flaws in it. It doesn't make me look forward to future games. 

• Like 2

I played through the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection this month, and I was shocked at how Final Fantasy IV just... kind of sucks? That was my first game in the series, and probably the one that I put the most time into back in the day, but even the power of nostalgia didn't help it much. It's much more narratvely ambitious than the earlier games, but that's an upgrade from threadbare to meager, and it comes at the cost of all player agency with regard to teambuilding. That works in the game's favor for one early story moment, but beyond that it's just boring. The ATB system was a cute development, but IV's implementation is so underexplored that it doesn't feel meaningfully different from the older turn-based system. A month ago I would have told you I loved it, but after revisiting it... at least it's better than I and XIII?

• Confused 1

Laika: Aged from Blood, the controls on this seem a bit rough, I appreciate what they were trying to do here, and it was a nice mix up on the genre (maybe the controls were better on PC or elsewhere?) having said that I will still try to go back and finish at some point.

COD Black Ops - This i feel kill the franchise for me, the last COD games i bought after this one was MW3, WW2 and the new MW back in 2019 (it was free on PS+ ages ago). For the rest, i ignored them.

Uncharted - I never could get in to it, between that and Tomb Raider 2013, i found the new Tomb Raider to be so much more enjoyable. I guess that as i played TR first in my early years, i was more in to that franchise than Uncharted. I do have the other games to Uncharted and will give it another go in the near future.

Fallout New Vegas - I didn't quit because it was bad, i quit because it froze a lot at the start of the game. I did replace it and still seemed to experience the same issue. The freezing occured pretty much 5/10 minutes after you start the game so this made it beyond unplayable.

FF12 Zodiac Age - I wasn't happy with the licence change and felt like it was restricted and a step backwards. I'll go back to it eventually, but i feel like the PS2 copy was better.

Days Gone - I got it for free on PS+, glad i did, i found it to be average and below at best. I will go back to it, but i doubt i'll ever complete it tbh.

Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga made me quit due to the sheer borderm of episode 1. I tried getting back in to it nearly a month ago and didn't last 10 minutes until i played something else.

Spider-man 2 - It didn't make me quit, but it was nowhere near as good as the first spider-man game back in 2018.

TLOU (PS3) - This one i did go back to playing, but it was like a few years later. I was playing on survival settings, the one before grounded. I was doing so well, far better than i expected. But i had an issue that i was experiencing with the controller. So i rushed to the settings to see if it might fix the issue. Due to me rushing, i accidently flicked the difficulty settings and this cost me my chance to get the survival trophy. I thought if i change it back and reload to a previous game file, it might fix it. However, my current possition was like 89% and my last back up save was 20%. The moment i saw how far back i was, i quit and never went back until years later. By that time, when i reloaded, because i deleted the game data, i had lost my survivor difficulty and had to restart all over again. I never did replay survivor as the online part of the game was shut down so platinum was no longer possible.

1 hour ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 for sure.

It's not a masterpiece (that word is so overused these days) as some people say. They somehow improved the combat mechanics while also downgrading it in some ways like the gadgets system. The worst part was the story and while I enjoyed certain moments, it was a colossal mess with plot holes and points that felt forced. It was a letdown from the previous game in which I thought the writing was excellent despite a few flaws in it. It doesn't make me look forward to future games. 

Yeah, this game looked ok during the trailers, but when playing, it wasn't even near GOTY. The story i felt like was ruined between the Peter/Miles swap and i felt like the ending was a killer. I'm hoping Peter returns as the main guy because Miles is like Robin for DLC only.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - After most reviews and opinions I actually thought it could be a good game but besides the graphics and the soundtrack the game was a huge mess. The characters were awful, the dialogues cringy as hell. The mission design was bad and so were the "riddles" as well as the loading time sections.

• Confused 1

Recently? LEGO 2K Drive. 

I didn't have insane expectations for it or anything. And while the game has it's fun moments, and it's a great idea for a game. it's ruined by the usual 2K grind fest and needless spikes in difficulty. There's WAY too many collectibles, and the On-the-goes requiring you to get Gold in ALL of them in absolutely mind-numbing. The gold times are so ridiculously tight (even when switching to the best vehicles for the job) that you end up repeating them constantly just to try and get the time by a mere second most of the time. And I'm decent at the game (I won several online races against players ranked in the thousands), so it's definitely the game on this one...having to be near perfect for about 80 of these really killed any enjoyment I had. I told myself I needed a break from it...but that's usually the death nail for a game for me. I want the Plat, but I don't want to play it anymore.

• Like 1

This will be an odd choice, because I had no expectations of liking the game at all… Forspoken. “Why play it”, because freedom 🥴lol.

I came out of it disappointed. Because I can see in the mess a good game. That’s why I like playing games for myself even expecting to not like it. Because I can better see things I wouldn’t have without.

Especially the sequel bait of the DLC. It really was setting up some interesting lore. 

it just failed the lore with some awful character writing. There are moments that nearly work, but Frey just won’t stfu so talks too much and injects her ahitty attitude into a scene that was working until she ruined it with terrible dialog or not taking anything seriously. 

it is hard to engage with a world that the character you play actively rejects for the majority of the game. And the pacing is just terrible as well. And good grief the gameplay is such a mess.

There is one earnest scene in the entire game that works exactly as intended and it’s the final scene; not the epilogue. 

there were either two or three words spoken. It was well animated (unlike most of the game which had the ingame goofy looking scenes like the infamous “did I just do that?” Scene). It made me feel the exact emotion the game intended it to. 

and then the epilogue showed up to fart on the high note it would’ve ended at. 😒

But man… if I could mod games I would go through the dialog and cut out all the shitty parts and polish the cutscenes and shit to show how easily they could’ve at least improved it. Because a lot of it really is just due to excessive dialog and not knowing when to have restraint like that final scene did.

makes me wonder if there was an entirely different writing team behind the real cutscenes vs the rest of the ingame or something. Because I’m stunned there wasn’t something to ruin it. I was on edge.

thats not to say the ending is unique or anything, its the type of thing you’ve seen before but personally I don’t have an issue with that type of thing as long as its doing a good job. And at least that moment was.

i could go on forever about this game. Which is ironic given how arguments with fanboys of this game have gone show they tap out pretty quick since they think there’s nothing wrong. The game had potential I didn’t expect. 

it’s still not good but it was a lot closer than I had imagined. And that’s a bummer.

Obligatory mention: Xenosaga Episode II. The art style changes, MOMO especially since she somehow looks older when she’s a realian. The voice actor changed; especially MOMO, the way that chick says “grant me a miRaClE” haunts my psyche to this day. She sounds like an old lady. I don’t understand. The combat is changed and I really didn’t like it, I loved the original’s combat system. 

and worst of all is the budget not allowing cutscenes. There’s a lot more static cutscenes with portraits and my favorite thing of the original was how the cutscenes were well directed and long. It felt like playing an anime. It was awesome. I had saves for every cutscene. And it rarely used multiple save files. 

II was such a disappointment man. I was so excited. 😭