Most Recent Platinum

Muff

On 7/14/2022 at 7:48 AM, da-Noob123 said:

OH MY GOD!!!!!! I finally finished Crash Bandicoot! 

This game has been so freaking infuriating I almost want to cry that I never have to come back to it. High Road gets a  bad rap and yes, it was definitely a tough level but, Stormy Ascent... I just beat it about 10 minutes ago and it was pure agony. High Road took me like 5 or 6 hours, this took me probably close to 15 hours. I just wanted to snap my controller at times but after 5 days in hell I made my escape and grabbed my platinum and 100% on the way out.

I will NOT be playing the sequels. 

Been a while since I platinumed games in back to back days but I did so today. 

A little over 12 years ago, I borrowed Darksiders from a friend for one week. I only had time for 1 playthrough and had largely written it off as incomplete, especially since for the past year my PS3 has not been reading Blu-ray discs. On a whim though I saw this game at my library and decided: "What the hell." I rented it and popped it into my PS3. My jaw dropped when it worked and I proceeded to praise my baby on what a good little PS3 it was for reading discs again. ? I then determined to beat Darksiders as fast as I could in case the disc reader stops working again. 

As for the game itself, it is a mixture of Zelda and God of War and it had a pretty good story all things considered. I'm not big on the big burly men look like in Gears of War but the aesthetic worked in this universe. You play as War, one of the four Horseman of the Apocalypse as he tries to unravel what in the Hell (pun intended) caused the Apocalypse to begin prematurely and why his 3 comrades are not with him. A journey of revenge and button mashing ensues and it was a fairly enjoyable ride, except for having to ride Ruin (your horse) for 100 miles.

In the decade plus since this game was released, it has had 3 sequels released. None of them play the same to my understanding and I don't think I will be playing them, in my head cannon, the 4 Horseman finally reunite after the first game's ending and kickass together and after a few millienia Uriel and War admit their feelings for one another and live happily ever after.

• Like 1

Platinum #34 - Dex (July 1, 2022)

1L7e1c54.png

Trophy Statistics

The Good

• Music is appropriately 16-bit and synthy
  • A well-established sense of place in Harbor Prime

The Bad

• Combat is a drag and can be trivialized with a stun-stealth combo
  • Weird shadow glitches

Full disclosure: my experience with Dex was definitely colored by my desire to be efficient with the playthrough.  The game is absolutely riddled with missable trophies, and it’s likely the developer’s intention was to provide motivation for multiple playthroughs.  Staring at a trophy guide can be really distracting in this kind of story driven, branching path, action role playing game.  That last statement is a little generous towards Dex, however, as there are really only 2 endings that amount to “which button did you push?”

It’s a stylish 2-D sidescrolling indie immersive sim mashup, with very cool music, appropriate pixel art (with some bizarre technical issues with the lighting), but it does have a bothersome hacking minigame and some truly bland combat.  Play it on “casual” and invest in skills that let you stun bad guys and then you can exploit the one-hit-kill sneak attack mechanics.  The main story itself is truly predictable, it’s the side quests where the world building really shines.  Oddly enough the platinum will pop before the credits roll.

Imagine if Blade Runner, Johnny Mnemonic, and Hackers walked into a bar and hooked up with Deus Ex, the resulting baby of uncertain parentage would be Dex.  This is Dex’s strength; it’s unashamed of it’s blatant influences and and expects the player to appreciate that.  And if that fails to connect with the player, you’ll come out of the experience a little cold.  I know I did.

• Like 3

#Platinum 221

-Thronebreaker The Witcher Tales.

.It's a really good game, with a great story that kept me interested until the end, I always loved Gwent in the Witcher 3 so the battles didn't feel foreing to me at all, I also really loved how the game is portrayed using a narrator and the choices and consequences aspect, together with the high fantasy scenario it brought me back to my D&D days, the platinum journey was rather easy simply because of the use of a guide, otherwise all the missables would have been a nightmare, the only aspect of the game I didn't enjoy was the puzzles, they start nice but halfway through the game they become so obnoxious, also the game is very prone to crashing and it happens when the game is loading between battles, that was annoying but not to the point it was unplayable, all in all a nice platinum and (mostly) stress free.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 4