National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

13 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Nice, fitting ending ?

Stafford nearly threw a pick with 5 seconds left when they had no chance to win.  Players/coaches really hate ties, would almost prefer to lose it seems. 

I understand why teams hate it because it leaves a sour mood. and this affects both team denominator. Ugh, I hate ties. 

4 hours ago, Conker said:

and oh boy the Jets blow a 16-0 lead to the Bills to lose 17-16

Meet the new Jets, same as the old Jets.  Finding every excuse to blow a game they should have run away with.

Not capitalizing on four first half turnovers?  Check.

Not being able to get anything in the kicking game?  Check.... although I'd blame the snap for the missed FG, not the kick.  Though I expect there to be at least a kicking competition in practice this week, anyhow.

Not being able to stop Buffalo's offense once C.J. Mosley left the game hurt?  Check.... although I'd blame Adam Gase for this one.  Once Mosley left, the Jets' two MLBs were a special teams guy and a rookie 5th round draft pick because Gase traded the #3 guy for nothing during his brief stint as GM and left the #2 guy too long in a preseason game so he could blow out his ACL.

The playcalling?  Check on that one, too -- Le'Veon Bell pretty much vanished from the offense after a while even though he was having an effective game.  And the Jets simply couldn't run a four-minute drill to kill the remaining time in the 4th.

7 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

I understand why teams hate it because it leaves a sour mood. and this affects both team denominator. Ugh, I hate ties. 

Well, ties can be important for playoff positioning, I think it might have cost the Colts a wild card last year by choosing a loss over a tie.

• Like 1

The whole AB thing makes me sick.

Glad KC won. The Jags have a decent backup at least. Miami got absolutely bitchslapped. Some players are wanting out thinking the coaching team isn’t serious about winning.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/early-mutiny-in-miami/

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, Yuna4353 said:

It absolutely does not (the second part of your comment, about both team denominators). It actually helps them to tie. If another team finishes 8-8 and lets say the Lion finish 8-7-1 , the Lions would win the playoff spot. As opposed to them both finishing 8-8 and the other team owning the tie breaker for the playoff spot (in that given scenario). I get the bittersweet part of it, but this helps both teams.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Well, ties can be important for playoff positioning,

That's true. The Vikings were able to sneak into the playoffs with a tie last year...oh wait, we lost that last home game to the Bears. :facepalm:

But! All season long, we had a 1/2 game lead on other Wild Card contenders bc of that GB tie in Week 2. 

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Did Michael Bennet really shout out "wakanda forever" instead of what school he went to? :facepalm:

He did. I'm surprised NBC let it slide bc now you are opening the door for some player to go political.

Stick to college or high school, please.

1 hour ago, Fish613 said:

It absolutely does not (the second part of your comment, about both team denominators). It actually helps them to tie. If another team finishes 8-8 and lets say the Lion finish 8-7-1 , the Lions would win the playoff spot. As opposed to them both finishing 8-8 and the other team owning the tie breaker for the playoff spot (in that given scenario). I get the bittersweet part of it, but this helps both teams.

Well ok, then I guess that works then but still tie-breaker sucks. 

Edited by Yuna4353

5 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Not gonna lie I was surprised at how the Pats did tonight. Or maybe it's I'm more shocked at how poorly the Steelers performed. I'm sure Tomlin will have some new magical theory on the fuckery that happens at Gillette lol.

Yeah Pittsburgh indeed was awful tonight offense completly looked lost all night, as the Patriots they continue to look as strong as ever and thye might even have a great defense this season too and to think they will have AB too ?

14 hours ago, acasser said:

Meet the new Jets, same as the old Jets.  Finding every excuse to blow a game they should have run away with.

Not capitalizing on four first half turnovers?  Check.

Not being able to get anything in the kicking game?  Check.... although I'd blame the snap for the missed FG, not the kick.  Though I expect there to be at least a kicking competition in practice this week, anyhow.

Not being able to stop Buffalo's offense once C.J. Mosley left the game hurt?  Check.... although I'd blame Adam Gase for this one.  Once Mosley left, the Jets' two MLBs were a special teams guy and a rookie 5th round draft pick because Gase traded the #3 guy for nothing during his brief stint as GM and left the #2 guy too long in a preseason game so he could blow out his ACL.

The playcalling?  Check on that one, too -- Le'Veon Bell pretty much vanished from the offense after a while even though he was having an effective game.  And the Jets simply couldn't run a four-minute drill to kill the remaining time in the 4th.

I feel for ya, seasons come and go, but the franchise karma somehow stays the same. Viking fans are feeling good about a September win, which only means a bigger gut-punch loss in January. 

- I didn't realize until this morning when I saw the stat line that Vedvik was your starting kicker.  That was the same guy the Vikings traded a fifth-rounder for, which ended up just being three weeks of training camp action.  Zimmer REALLY wanted him to win the job but he just blew it, plain and simple. Sorry the Vikings kicking karma woes followed that guy to Jersey. 

9 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

- I didn't realize until this morning when I saw the stat line that Vedvik was your starting kicker.  That was the same guy the Vikings traded a fifth-rounder for, which ended up just being three weeks of training camp action.  Zimmer REALLY wanted him to win the job but he just blew it, plain and simple. Sorry the Vikings kicking karma woes followed that guy to Jersey. 

The Jets' kicking has been a mess since former GM Mike McCagnan let Jason Myers walk away as a free agent this spring.  (Also:  Andre Roberts, meaning he gutted the Jets' ace special teams crew over a couple of dollars.  Also:  McCagnan did a horrible job with the offensive line.  Also:  the draft.  Need I go on?)

They brought back Chandler Catanzaro, who had a pretty good year two seasons ago.  He was terrible and retired midway through the pre-season.  They tried Taylor Bertolet for two weeks.  He wasn't much better.  So they claimed Vedvik on waivers and we saw how well that worked out.  Though I'll give him a partial pass for two reasons:  the Jets couldn't get into MetLife Stadium to let Vedvik practice on the real field -- international soccer kicked them out -- and because the snap and hold on the FG attempt weren't good.

But he'll probably be gone, anyhow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

What a fucking roller coaster the ending of that game was. :o

yeah Watson leading the Texans to what they thought was the game winning td and then Brees finding enough time/yards to get them into fg range which was made, truly was a good game

• Like 1

Well there's the best way for the Raiders to respond after the AB situation is this win tonight and a nice offense showing and defense. For Denver Von Miller and Bradley Chubb were no shows and offense struggled all night only getting there lone td late

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Overall I was happy with the first week. At least with the games I saw. Some teams looked solid some looked lost. Quite a few injuries too.

The only thing this season has in store for me is the continued slow death of my liver every Lions game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majob said:

The ride never ends. Regardless, no way the Patriots let Brown play until this is resolved, way too much potential drama if they do.

They are thinking he will be put on the Commissioner list so yea, I am reserving judgment till the evidence is found, Right now it he said she said

22 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Overall I was happy with the first week. At least with the games I saw. Some teams looked solid some looked lost. Quite a few injuries too.

Were you happy about the injuries?

12 hours ago, Yuna4353 said:

They are thinking he will be put on the Commissioner list so yea, I am reserving judgment till the evidence is found, Right now it he said she said

Do the Patsies still pay him if he's on the Commissioner list?