• Mandarin
    • Russian
    • Arabic
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Italian
    • Other

Just English and some Spanish. 

I took 3 years of required Spanish classes in high school and didn't retain any of it besides the basics. I learned most of my Spanish from guys at work just from listening to them. A lot of derogatory cuss words and insults mainly since I work in construction. You don't really need much more expansion on a language than that in this industry. 😆

• Haha 1

Russian, German, English. However, there is no language I can speak without an accent. Immigrated to a new country at a critical age where I had to learn a new language at school but I've lived here long enough to forget how to speak my native language. Kind of gives you an identity crisis. No matter where I go I'll always be a foreigner.

• Like 2

Only English, sadly. One of my biggest regrets is never picking up a second language, along with not learning a musical instrument. Instead, I foolishly opted to master video games and lifting weights. Yeah, I could still attempt to do these things now, but the brain is unfortunately quite stubborn about absorbing new information at my age, especially since I already have cognitive difficulties due to health issues. It's probably just not in the cards for me.

• Like 2

I've always been super interested in learning languages, I can speak French (native), English, and German. I can definitely understand Portuguese but am not comfortable at all speaking it, and I have the equivalent of an A2 level in Swedish.
One day I'll find the motivation to learn Japanese, hopefully!

To anyone wanting to learn a new language, I can only recommend listening to natives speaking or watching videos, it will sound like gibberish for the first few months, but you will slowly assimilate some words and expressions, and will quickly start to follow a full conversation.

Edited by Darumacho
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, Edunstar84 said:

English and conversational Norwegian. I've lived in Norway for 10 years now, and I'm still not fluent. I used to speak French, but I forgot most of it. I would like to eventually learn Korean and Japanese. 

What do you find the most difficult about learning Norwegian?

Edited by MMDE