Upcoming forum update: Convert friends to followers or not?

Friends becoming followers  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather?

• Convert your forum friends to followers to receive notifications when they post
    • Start with 0 followers

Convert. The way IP Boards is, anyone becomes friends with people they simply choose they want to be and its entirely one sided on default. There's no verification process. Followers can make a little more sense in that way,

This brings up an interesting point... why would the person being followed receive notifications from their followers activity?  If they're following us, they receive the notifications... not the other way around.

EDIT: Oh right, because friends are a two way road currently.  Right, right, right, right....

You guys ever bothered to check your profile settings? As you can turn on the option "approve friend requests", now i've not used the feature - but i'd assume you can also deny friend requests. It's not one sided.

W5EGFqa.jpg

Edited by Zone Hunter

You guys ever bothered to check your profile settings? As you can turn on the option "approve friend requests", now i've not used the feature - but i'd assume you can also deny friend requests. It's not one sided.

W5EGFqa.jpg

The keyword was "default". How much of the user base do you think actually bothers with setting changes beyond avatar, sig and title (can't really do much about title here, some other sites you can)? Not many at all, I guarantee it. I've been on IP Boards for a literal decade and that's just something I expect when a place uses this forum software.

The keyword was "default". How much of the user base do you think actually bothers with setting changes beyond avatar, sig and title (can't really do much about title here, some other sites you can)? Not many at all, I guarantee it. I've been on IP Boards for a literal decade and that's just something I expect when a place uses this forum software.

It's there if it bothers someone that much. Who cares if that exact setting isn't the default one....

Are you not able to change your Title?

I'm surprised at the split between votes right now. One third versus two thirds. Thought it would be more one sided.

Since that's a forum not a blog or social media account I'd love my friends stay as my friends rather than followers but I think that's not even open to debate.

Edit : (In my opinion the word friend is folksier than followers)

I would definitely support this suggestion.

But as followers seem to be decided already, I say convert but letting us disable the notifications, I'm not sure if I would like to see 99 notifications after leaving forums for an hour =D

Are you not able to change your Title?

Iirc you need to either be a Novice or be a Premium Member, you cannot change it immediately.

I voted convert to followers. Maybe the default option should be to not receive notifications when they post and instead have to actively select that feature. That is what I would prefer at least.

Parker

I would go with this as well otherwise anyone on here who is friends with say Dragon-Archon is gonna be pretty busy checking off all those post notifications :P

I would definitely support this suggestion.

But as followers seem to be decided already, I say convert but letting us disable the notifications, I'm not sure if I would like to see 99 notifications after leaving forums for an hour =D

How about friends stay as friends and being able to get notifications when they post something?

That sounds good to me :P

If this is going to become a facebook-like thing I think I'll delete all friends. I really don't care about social stuff.

can't really do much about title here, some other sites you can

What are you talking about? You can change title from the very first settings page. Edited by Doctor Doom

I'd rather it was a fresh start. No disrespect to some of the people who have added me as a friend, but a lot of you are prolific posters and I know that, if I was automatically a "follower" of all of you, my notifications feed would become an unwieldy mess of hundreds of notifications every few hours. 

If I can "un-follow" my friends without having to reject their "friendship" though, that'd be the best option. 

Good to hear about the update though. Fingers crossed that it's finally close!

I would say convert because I only have people I know and talk to regularly on my friend list, but I guess starting with 0 followers is better. Then, let us manually select whom to follow from that list. Also, for future additions, keep a separate 'follow' tab and 'add as friend' tab on profiles who are not on the friend list already.

Will this feature affect the current friends status update notifications too?

Edit : Also, how would the notification show up if someone makes a lot of posts? Will it be showed as "ABCD has made a new post" multiple no. of times or will it show "ABCD has made x no. of new posts" and then show a list of all their posts? Kinda like the 'posts' tab on our forum profile.

Edited by IntenseFATE98