Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

• 2 years later...

I love doing everything in games I enjoy. Before trophies came around I would always try and get all the collectibles and all the challenges done in a game that I was enjoying. Trophies are like more challenges for me. I've gone through a couple short phases where I completely trophy whore games, but for the most part I get a platinum in the games I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying the game, or I simply don't have the time to achieve the platinum, I don't go for it. 

Edited by PipeSwinger
  • Like 1

When you can demonstrate that you have completed a game, it takes on an objective character which has more value than merely completing a game. It also provides accountability for people that lie and pretend that they are real gamers. If I want to claim that 'I am a master of the Atelier series,' for example, then the person I tell this to will want evidence that I have platinumed the games. 

Platinuming also provides an objective metric for completion. If I want to claim that I 'have completed Final Fantasy 10,' my definition of completion may differ from yours; so to remedy this we both can agree that earning the platinum constitutes the definition of 'completion.' 

Achievements are good for these reasons; although they provide a disincentive to play great old games without achievements. This is why ALL games (old ps1/ps2) need trophy support.

• Like 2

I have completed games way before an achievement system was implemented. I love to get 100% content to make it worth the bucks invested. Plats are a well received addition on the way :)

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

The main reason I started trophy hunting, is because I've always been a completionist, but games just don't have the same amount of content that they used to. So, I had to start trophy hunting so that I could have a reason to keep playing games I wanted to play.

Some other reasons include:

• It's cheaper to trophy hunt than to just play through games, since it takes longer to get a plat than to just beat a game.
  • I like being able to look at my profile, and see all of the progress I've made.
  • It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I get a plat.
  • I like being able to experience parts of the game I may not have experienced without trophies as an incentive.
  • It's fun.
  • Like 1

I've always respected the fact that people have the time and dedication to sit there for hours and hours getting all these trophies, to see that platinum trophy on their trophy list.

But why why do you platinum games? They don't really mean anything and you dont really get anything out of plat'ing a game.

Do you just have too much time on your hands?

Do you just want to have the highest trophy level out of all your friends?

or Do you simply do it because you can't stand leaving games at anything less that 100%?

I personally have only plat'ed two games; Terminator: Salvation and Resistance: Burning Skies. I did it because they were fairly easy and I enjoyed them. And they didn't require anymore than one sitting to plat.

Well, there are several reasons that I plat games. I actually didn't really pay much attention to trophies until I joined PlayStation Trophies (.org). My first plat was for one of my all time favorite games, Skate 2. I guess around the time I discovered PlayStation Trophies and PSNProfiles I started to become a trophy hunter. The first game I remember actively seeking trophies for (besides games like Skate 2 and 3 and Medal of Honor: Frontline, which was more because they are some of my favorites ever) was Proteus, which I got after joining PS+ last August. Since then I've gotten to be pretty obsessive about trophies, which is my nature (I'm obsessive-compulsive after all). As a perfectionist/completionist, I do feel that I haven't completed a game until I've knocked out all of the trophies, and my completion percentage honestly stresses me out a little bit (and bothers me in general more than a little bit). 

So, to sum up my not very well thought out post with an ironically not very well thought out summary, I plat games (and trophy hunt in general) because I 1: enjoy it, 2: feel a sense of accomplishment from earning trophies, 3: am obsessive-compulsive, 4: am a perfectionist/completionist, and 5: like the idea of increasing my world and country ranks little by little, because I enjoy trophy hunting and generally think it's cool to compare myself to others when it comes to earning trophies.

Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Edited by GarrisonWhite2
  • Like 1

I've gotten so much more out of the games I play since I started going after trophies. I never cared for playing games with the difficulty cranked up until then. Now I have a blast challenging myself to do so. I probably would've never pushed myself to do so without trophies.

It's just self gratification for me. I enjoy trophy hunting as I'm sure the majority of people on this site do.

Why else would we be here?

• Like 1

I've gotten so much more out of the games I play since I started going after trophies. I never cared for playing games with the difficulty cranked up until then. Now I have a blast challenging myself to do so. I probably would've never pushed myself to do so without trophies.

It's just self gratification for me. I enjoy trophy hunting as I'm sure the majority of people on this site do.

Why else would we be here?

Agreed. I wouldn't have enjoyed Proteus as much without the quirky trophies it had. They made it a lot more fun.

Quite honestly, my reason for trophy hunting isn't the simple matter of completing a game 100%, it's more so for the accomplishment of when you done the uncommon, specifically with games with challenging platinum trophies. After all, there's no feeling more satisfying than to complete a game when they asked something that would be seen as ridiculous to many. Some of my best accomplishments when it comes to going for the platinum are Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Battlefield 3, Sonic Unleashed, and just recently, Call of Duty: World at War. Heck, even more relaxing games give me a smile when going for 100% such Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

I've never thought to think why I trophy hunt. I guess that seeing the Platinum trophy ping and seeing that on my profile is a small sense of accomplishment. I also think it helps me to get a lot more out of my games, because it tempts me to take my gaming a step farther.

• Like 2

One of the biggest misconceptions of trophy hunting is that not everyone sits there for hours and hours to get a plat; People have lives and essentially play for an hour or two when they have it and then later go for the plat, plenty of people I know do this.

^This

When I have free time I trophy hunt because, for me its just addictive.

• Like 1

I think that you should not feel forced to do a Platinum or the 100%, in my opinion I just platinum the games that I like, I've Platinum games that I don't like and when I've done it, it's like a relief, I don't like that. That's why now I only do must of my Platinums in games that I truely enjoy and have fun doing it!

Edited by t-i-g-o
  • Like 1

I usually love to attain that 100% save game and that by doing and unlocking everything the game have to offer, and with the trophies nowadays, some games platinum trophy is actually connected to the in-game 100% so let's just say you're playing a fighting game, and you unlocked all of the fighters, and their extra costumes, unlocked every mode and tried them at least once and finally saw all of the characters ending, the platinum will naturally be granted to you.

Until DLC's happen, which ruin the percentage on most games.

unfortunately not all the games out there can be plated by achieving 100% game complete, some devs force you to try out their broken multiplayer mode and so there have to be a shitty online trophy that hold your platinum back until doing them, or added gimmick in-game play mechanic that they force you to try them out that have nothing to do with 100% game complete save. So.. I only plat mostly the games that I really loved or found it easy to 100% or plat, or those that only focus on single player mode and no online multiplayer mode.

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 1

I always liked 100%-ing my games way before trophies came along. So, when they did, they were just one more thing to unlock.

The thing I like the most about trophies is that they act as a sort of "to-do list" for games, so in most cases, when you get the Platinum trophy, that means you've unlocked everything there was to unlock in the game and explored it to its fullest.

Sometimes, the trophy list will be lenient and not "force" you to get everything there is to get in a game, but in those cases, I just go beyond the trophies and do it anyway.

Though this only applies to games I like, of course. If I'm trying out a game and find I don't like it, couldn't possibly care less about the trophies or anything else about it, for that matter. I just hide the trophy list and never touch the game again.

I do hate this recent trend of online trophies, though. I get that it's the online age and stuff, but some people just want to play like they did on their old PS2 - offline. Online trophies mean that you now stopped depending only on yourself to get the platinum - and some of those trophies can be pretty hellish/grindy/boring. Not to mention, if the population dies out, or worse, the servers are closed, you're left unable to platinum the game forever. Want to make online modes? I'm all for it. Just don't force us to play them to get the platinum.

• Like 1

earning a platinum is a huge accomplishment to me there are games that have trophies that will truly put your skills to the test and when I do earn those trophies I feel so proud of myself because I accomplish something that not many people will do  

I can dig that.

To me it's a hobby, when i'm not doing life things I plat games, it's enjoyable and a challenge at the same time.

• Like 1