Least favorite genre

wafflestomper810

After rage deleting Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands, it occurs to me that I really hate platformers and yet I continue to torture myself with them.  Not to mention the fact that it is an Ubisoft product.  I just happen to wonder if anybody else has a game genre they love to hate and puts themselves through the rage bliss in order to finish the game.  Don't get me wrong, I like the story of most of the games, but can't stand when a game is unresponsive, doesn't recognize the button presses, or your character simply jumps in some random direction I know I didn't jump in. Does anybody else have the same feelings.  I'd like to know.

• Like 1

Probably those insta-gib platformers like Super Meat Boy and I Wanna Be The Guy. I like them but damn am I bad at them. Otherwise my least favourite genre would be Sport. I like a story in my game and sport is just sport, so I don't pick them up at all.

Edited by Asvinia

Would have to be sport, I am terrible at those sort of games like rugby, soccer, basketball.  Yet ones I am okay at are games like Sniper Elite, for the whole shooting genre, even platformers I'm okay at, not the greatest.  But yeah, least favourite is indeed the sport genre.

I like all genres. Even sports games. Back in the day they were the ones the broke the norm of platformers and rpg's and tried new things lol.

If I had to pick my least favorite though, I'd have to say linear story driven shooters. They normally ignore depth and imagination and replace it with a quality story, which basically kills replayability. It drives me nuts. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of these games but I normally only buy them in sales and only if there's nothing else I want. They're definitely not a priority,

Edited by KingGuy420

Well... for game genres i don't like I just tend to not play them at all x3 I'd probably just drop it right away if I hated the gameplay enough.

As for genres I don't like:

- FPS: Gameplay just doesnt appeal to me, this is a common thing for first-person view games in general actually but especially FPS.

- MMO/MMORPG/MOBAs/ect

- Sport games - not interested in sports so most of them don't appeal to me.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting yet another old thread. I was just thinking about this topic, and searched for a similar thread before starting my own (as you all should).

Not the most original answer, but my least favourite genre is sports. I can't think of anything less interesting for me than that. Playing IRL or watching games like football (soccer) is already boring enough for me. Playing a sports videogame is even worse.

In terms of game genres I "love to hate and put myself through the rage to finish" it's probably classic arcade games. I absolutely adore games like Pac-Man or Balloon Fight. But every run in those games ends with you dying. 99% of them end with you dying before you reach your high score. Sometimes for a stupid reason. They don't really make me rage, but they often leave me frustrated, even though it's my fault every time.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 2

Games where you need to use L3 and R3 at the same time to make your characters move. Character A is L3 and character B is R3.

Lovely example: Entwined ?

I kept playing it until stage 4 to get the chapter green, I lost my cool and deleted it. I completed the game but will never get the 100% completion for it. Screw that game.

Oh and I suck at racing games. Sports in general. But I like “kiddy” racing like Crash Bandicoot and Sonic Racing games.

Edited by LoveInHell

I hate Telltale, but don't think that qualifies as a genre. 

For me, it would have to be Fighting games, as I'm absolutely appaling at them, although with the exception of Skyrim (which still took like 2 to 3 years for me to actually "like"), I've never gotten into Open world RPGs like Fallout and even the Witcher. JRPGs fit me a lot better.

I like third person shooters a lot, but I actually was never very fond of first person shooters, I don't know, perhaps because I can not play the role of the main character as I'd like to and many of them consist just on shooting to the bad guys, I like when you have to do way more than that.

I've played few RPG's like final fantasy, and I like them, but somehow, it feels like its not part of my identity, or some kind of game I would take with me everywhere I go.

I pretty much play just about any genre, not sure I have a least favorite.
Although Rhythm, Visual Novels, RTS, and First-person games aren't exactly my first  picks when playing a game.

Although I think a certain final boss from a certain game kind of made me dislike Rhythm games a bit although I did get Beat Saber haven't played it yet though.

The only genre I will never touch and do my best to avoid... Is the jRPG genre, stuff like Final Fantasy. I don't know, the mix between cheesy dialogue and turn based fight (despite being changed lately) paired with some weird intricate story for the sake of it is a huge turnoff for me. I do get why people love them so much and why they are so favorite but in my case I will just politely decline. I am good with regular action/rpg or old turn based games, those work well for me. 

My distastes have evolved over the years. I’m not that in to first person shooters but back in the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark days, they were my favourites. Don’t do a ton of sports games but I loved nba jam and the mlb show series. 

Puzzle games I’m not that into either, I always use a guide to get through them if I’m going for the trophies. As someone with a PhD I just don’t have any brain power left to commit to those in any kind of serious way. 

8 hours ago, Copanele said:

The only genre I will never touch and do my best to avoid... Is the jRPG genre, stuff like Final Fantasy. I don't know, the mix between cheesy dialogue and turn based fight (despite being changed lately) paired with some weird intricate story for the sake of it is a huge turnoff for me. I do get why people love them so much and why they are so favorite but in my case I will just politely decline. I am good with regular action/rpg or old turn based games, those work well for me. 

I won't touch the modern day JRPGs. Final Fantasy 15 just looks like a bunch of overgrown manchilds suiting the Cloud style hair from Final Fantasy 7. I'm sure people out there love Final Fantasy 15, but it pretty much summarizes everything I hate about modern JRPGs. Square is a shell of what they used to be.

But Final Fantasy 6? Chrono Trigger? Bring them on. Absolutely love those classic JRPGs to death. Wish Earthbound would stop being exclusive Nintendo property and get ported over to Xbox and Sony. Goddamn them...

Western RPGs on the other hand. I love The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I'd play it again if I didn't have such a sheer backlog.