Kill Your Completion - CYOA

Okay, I think it's about time that I wrote about my rating scale again.

I started out on this five point system:

:hidden: Awful piece of shit. Watching paint dry would have been more interesting.

:bronze: Just bad. Not horrible but it leaves a sour taste. And not the good kind of sour, like lemons.

:silver: Mediocre all the way. Too mediocre to even compare it to something, just like... uhm...

:gold: Fun game, great while it lasts. It can brighten even your bad days. Just like pizza.

:platinum: Reaching unsafe levels of awesome:

Spoiler

kw5Dx.jpg

It's been noted however in KYC3, that a lot of us (including myself) needed to do a double rating like :silver::gold: for the games that were somewhere in between.

In the end, I decided I'd use a thirteen-point sliding scale, comme ça:

:platinum::platinum::platinum:

:platinum::platinum::gold:

:platinum::gold::gold:

:gold::gold::gold:

:gold::gold::silver:

:gold::silver::silver:

... And so on, until reaching the epitome of bad games:

:hidden::hidden::hidden:

I'll be using this three-trophy system once more, feel free to use it yourself.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

:hidden: Awful piece of shit. Watching paint dry would have been more interesting.

:bronze: Just bad. Not horrible but it leaves a sour taste. And not the good kind of sour, like lemons.

:silver: Mediocre all the way. Too mediocre to even compare it to something, just like... uhm...

:gold: Fun game, great while it lasts. It can brighten even your bad days. Just like pizza.

Reveal hidden contents

kw5Dx.jpg

It's been noted however in KYC3, that a lot of us (including myself) needed to do a double rating like :silver::gold: for the games that were somewhere in between.

Are those Dino Riders?  Wow, I haven't thought of those in a long time.

(Also, interesting scoring system.) :P

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

EDIT: I just re-read your post and realized you might have meant you were surprised to see my pick most of your suggestions. Well, they were all games I wanted to try anyway (I did buy all these games, so it's not like any of them were PS+ freebies I didn't necessarily want to play). So I just needed a little nudge in the right direction. :)

Yeah that's what I actually meant. It's a bit hard for me to write down what I actually meant. xD

Oh and happy birthday! :dance: 

9 hours ago, Spider5786 said:

Just played my first hour of Yooka Laylee and it's about what I expected, a 90's style platformer with lots jumping spinning sliding and collectable hunting. The camera has been panned in reviews of the game but I haven't had any trouble thus far. My one real gripe with this game is the seriously outdated voice acting, the voice acting in this game is just stupid childish sounds bound to drive you mental, the x button to skip dialogue will be your saviour in these scenes. I understand that many games in the 90's used this style of sounds but the best games of 90's had real voice acting playtonic has been lazy in this aspect and this seriously detracts from the experience. 

I partially agree with you. Like Markus I think that a spiritual Banjo-Kazooie successor needs the voices but there were a few instances where I just would have wished that they kept their mouth shut. Mainly when I had to hear a sequence over and over again cause I had to redo a mission. I hope that the devs will release the patch soon. That should give the option to mute the voices and skip cutscenes.

2 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Are those Dino Riders?  Wow, I haven't thought of those in a long time.

(Also, interesting scoring system.) :P

Yeah, those are the official Dino Riders (though I think I found them when I just googled for "most awesome thing ever" or something like that), one of my favourite shows as a kid.

I typed out the scoring slide completely last time but I'm on my phone now and didn't feel like it :)

I think it's a pretty decent system, and easy to use. I still can't figure out what to make of the US letter grade system.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Hide contents

kw5Dx.jpg

I like your system, but geez it's highly specific! I think 10 points is good enough for me. But then I've always had trouble rating things, like when my buddy and I rate Beatles albums or Simpsons seasons... I always feel like my choice is highly arbitrary. 

Do we need to post something before starting each new game? I wasn't clear on that part from the rules. 

Anyway, I'll do it for the first 2 games and drop that if I find out it isn't required. 

I intend to play my games in order of the list, unless something weird happens. Today I'll start on Abzu, and if I have more gaming time than expected, I'll start Hell Yeah. Last night I checked my PS4 and PS3 to make sure I had all the games installed (and the disc for Prince of Persia Sands of Time, my only non-digital choice). The only Vita game is Salt and Sanctuary but it's cross-buy on PS4 and I have both versions installed. I'll probably start with the Vita version just to give it some love, but switch to PS4 if the game is too unplayable. 

Abzu

I don't know much about it apart from it being an underwater, relaxing game. It looked interesting so I bought it and quickly forgot to start playing. The only "relaxing" genre game I recall playing is Flower, which I enjoyed a few years ago. 

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit

I don't know much about Hell Yeah besides it having a kick-ass title and it being a 2D platformer, which is one of my favorite genres. I looked forward to trying it out. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

L9841b0.png

BlazeRush was, thankfully, a much better experience than Mad Riders. It's a stick racer with short laps and lots of weapons.

Playing for an hour, I was very entertained by the game. About fifteen minutes was spent trying in vain to get connected to others though, from other sites I've gathered that a host needs a wired internet connection or players don't get through a firewall, so I may have to boost the one online trophy.

What's to say about the game? It's not great, but not bad either, it's silly mindless fun. It's something to play when you don't feel like playing something that demands a lot of brainpower, it's not perfect by far but it doesn't need to be. I can see myself going a few rounds in this every once in a while, perhaps even playing offline co-op. Too bad only the PS3 version was on PS+ though.

Stats

Playtime: about an hour

Trophies obtained: 2/21

Completion Percentage: 9% for an E rank

Score: :silver::silver::bronze:

The online for BlazeRush is very screwed up. I don't remember how exactly I eventually managed to connect, but your best bet is to give your PS3 a static IP and look up which ports need to be forwarded for BlazeRush, after that it's just keep trying to connect to a match and hope you get in eventually. I think I didn't reset my settings yet, so if you want I can look them up exactly. It's such a shame as well cause I really enjoyed the game and mp could've been a lot of fun.

Hey Everyone!

I couldn't update the list yesterday cause it was a very busy day.

I bought Tomb Raider so I want to Include that on the event Sorry my apologies @Hemiak for the trouble!

So the List is the following:

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Ps4 - 1st -6th July

Doom Ps4 - 6th - 12th of July

Neon Chrome Ps4 - 12th - 18th of July

Metal Gear Phantom Pain Ps4 - 18th - 24th of July

Life is Strange Ps4 - 24th - 30th of July.

On the last day I'll do some upgrades or a Final Review.

I will be recording all of my gameplay at --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZh8XxtQBtK34w2qYZvHwhg

Cheers guys and Have fun! Enjoy this Event and share your feelings with this wonderful Community ;)

BTW I loved the observation @Hemiak I Guess I was Wandering the streets of Oporto maybe so I could find someone special or a wild adventure eheh

Edited by Edward_FOX_86
  • Like 3

Game #1. MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death

L2d37c7.png

Will provide way more of an update later today (it's currently only 3.30pm) but I'm enjoying MeiQ so much that I burned down my Vita battery completely (and it had been fully charged)  So I'm currently taking a snack break whilst the Vita gains some charge.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mking_63 said:

Initial impressions

Life is Strange - I played through the first episode. Does anyone else remember Remember Me? The second game (?) by DONTNOD for Square and the second game with a female protagonist who can rewind time. It's like Remember Me if they extended the time manipulation sequences and replaced the combat with taking pictures of stuff and ignoring text messages from your mom. It may sound like I'm being negative towards Life is Strange but I'm just having a little fun, this is a very polished game. The audio and video are well done, the game creates a compelling atmosphere in which it tells it's story. Definitely a game I would cite in an argument over whether games can be art. This is a narrative driven game which is a genre I haven't played before and only picked up because it was free on PS+ but so far I'm glad I tried it. Someone in the know help me out, is this game a "visual novel" or does it and the Tell Tale games I assume are similar belong to a different genre classification?

They are Adventures. You don't walk in Visual Novels. VNs are mostly sceenes with a lot of text and sometimes you have to do something like in Ace Attorney.

• Like 1

Mini Resogun update: Made it through the game with all 3 ships, and captured every human in each level. Tried Experienced difficulty again, and did a lot better. Made it through Level 1 without dying, even. I thought, "Huh, maybe that helped me get better?" Then came Level 2... Back to getting Game Overs. :/ 

So, after 3-4 runs through the game, I think I'm gonna call it quits on this one for now. Might come back to it, might not. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mking_63 said:

Initial impressions

Life is Strange - I played through the first episode. Does anyone else remember Remember Me? The second game (?) by DONTNOD for Square and the second game with a female protagonist who can rewind time. It's like Remember Me if they extended the time manipulation sequences and replaced the combat with taking pictures of stuff and ignoring text messages from your mom. It may sound like I'm being negative towards Life is Strange but I'm just having a little fun, this is a very polished game. The audio and video are well done, the game creates a compelling atmosphere in which it tells it's story. Definitely a game I would cite in an argument over whether games can be art. This is a narrative driven game which is a genre I haven't played before and only picked up because it was free on PS+ but so far I'm glad I tried it. Someone in the know help me out, is this game a "visual novel" or does it and the Tell Tale games I assume are similar belong to a different genre classification?

It's neither. It's an interactive drama, and has more similarities with games like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls ;).

• Like 1