Kill Your Completion - CYOA

34 minutes ago, Jaguargenie said:

I'm probably at about an hour and change on this. I have two impressions thus far:

- BORING

- This is going to be a crazy easy plat. 

So what is Volume? It is a top down stealth theft simulation. Sounds so awesome. I should love it. The problem is it is so easy. There is no challenge whatsoever. The checkpoints are so plentiful that any danger is meaningless. If you are spotted, you literally need to turn two corners and the AI will lose you. No searching, just last visual connection. 

The trophies are popping for just real simple stuff. Again no challenge. 

It's getting a C right now for initial impressions. Hopefully the difficulty will go up. I'm on stage 28/100 so if it's gonna get tough, it better start soon...

It takes a lot of levels until it gets a bit more challenging but overall it stays that easy. Personally I didn't mind that the game was rather easy. I mainly played it for soundtrack and the narrator, though. (and I wanted to support the dev 'cause I adore Thomas Was Alone).

@topic

My half time impression of Valkyrie Drive will follow in the next few hours. Can't really motivate myself to write a review as everytime I think about what I should write it gets totally chaotic as I have to think about all the nonsense like girls with a height of about 69 inches / 1.75m and a bust size of 42.5 inches / 108cm, main characters saying that there's some kind of humanity inside huge robots that look like they came straight out of the Power Rangers-series (and those robots are the girls' teachers), and some other crazy and/or boring shit. Why did I buy this? :spank:

• Like 2

After reading some reviews about games I had an eye on, I feel like I'll definitely put MeiQ on my wishlist and I'll definitely give up on Valkyrie Drive as the reasons stated by @Crimson Idol are things I would dislike too. This event is a great way to find out if games are suited to my taste :D 

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Game #3: Hyper Light Drifter

L3ea2e1.png

Hyper Light Drifter is a top-down Zelda-style game where you use a sword and various guns alongside a short-range warp move. The defining feature of the game seems to be its lack of explanation, forcing the player to figure things out for himself or herself. 

You get a good sense of the game after 30 minutes, I guess. Personally I still don't really know what I'm supposed to do or what the yellow collectibles do (I understand the health pack collectibles though). There is a skull icon on my map, which presumably has a boss or something, but I haven't gotten that far. The map itself is fine, but it's not easy to see where I've been and where I haven't been yet. 

Visually the game is stylish, although it would definitely look better on the Switch or Vita than on a 55" TV. The sound doesn't really stand out. 

I have enjoyed my time with the game, but I would definitely like more direction. I don't need my hand to be held the whole time, but I prefer a bit more guidance. The controls are good, but using Remote Play on Vita maps the gun aim and fire controls (L2 and R2) to the touchscreen, which is annoying.  

I think I will come back to this game, but I'm ready to move onto the next game on my list for now. 

Playtime: 1-2 hours

Trophies obtained: 1/20 + 0/3 (free DLC)

Completion Percentage: 1% for a E rank

Score: 7/10

My Plans after KYC: Finish the story

NOTE: I added a new "plans" section to my rating template (which I mostly stole from @BillyHorrible, apart from not using his scoring system). Also, during July I have been playing Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories and Danganronpa 2 on my PS4 and Vita, in between KYC games, and I will probably continue to do so. I've popped a few trophies and expect to get more from those games, so that will affect my completion percentages a bit. But for me this event is mostly about trying my backlog games. I don't care about my completion percentage and never will, so that part doesn't serve any purpose for me. @Hemiak, let me know if that is still in keeping with the event or if I need to focus on the KYC games only. If it makes a difference, my games so far don't seem to need 3 hours to get a feel for the gameplay, but instead they open up right in the beginning as far as I can tell. 

Feel free to play other stuff alongside your KYC games. As long as you're getting enough hours to get a grasp of your games and able to do your reviews we're good. :highfive:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

It takes a lot of levels until it gets a bit more challenging but overall it stays that easy. Personally I didn't mind that the game was rather easy. I mainly played it for soundtrack and the narrator, though. (and I wanted to support the dev 'cause I adore Thomas Was Alone).

And also the main character's name, amirite? :awesome: Never got too difficult, but I loved it all the same. 

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

@Hemiak, let me know if that is still in keeping with the event or if I need to focus on the KYC games only. If it makes a difference, my games so far don't seem to need 3 hours to get a feel for the gameplay, but instead they open up right in the beginning as far as I can tell. 

Yeah, the requirements are just that you try to play at least 3 hours of each game, and provide a review. Beyond that, it's always been pretty lax. You can even do what I did with Star Wars Battlefront, and write extra reviews if you wish. That game was nowhere on my list. ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Myu said:

After reading some reviews about games I had an eye on, I feel like I'll definitely put MeiQ on my wishlist and I'll definitely give up on Valkyrie Drive as the reasons stated by @Crimson Idol are things I would dislike too. This event is a great way to find out if games are suited to my taste :D 

I'm glad that I could be of help. I hope you enjoy Steins;Gate 0 and even if it's a really easy VN regarding the requirements, I hope the guide can still be of use. xD

9 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

And also the main character's name, amirite? :awesome: Never got too difficult, but I loved it all the same.

Would the name have been Thomas it would be even better. :awesome:

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Visually the game is stylish, although it would definitely look better on the Switch or Vita than on a 55" TV. The sound doesn't really stand out. 

The game was initially planned for Vita, too. But later on the dev canceled it as the performance wasn't satisfying enough. I'm a bit sad about it but on the other hand I'm glad that Heart Machine decided to cancel the port (together with the one for Wii U) as I don't think that it's really good to have a port of a game that runs like poop.

Final review for Valkyrie Drive while follow this evening. I won't have much gaming time today and as the new anime season starts off I want to spend the time watching a hopefully entertaining SoL-anime (Aho Girl) than spending my time with that fanservice-crapfest. At least the description suggests that it will be similar to a Yotsuba&! in high school setting. ^_^

Next game will be either Jotun or Hyper Light Drifter. Can't decide for now.

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

Starting tomorrow I will spend my time with Jotun. :dance: 

I added this to my list as well, but I'll probably play something between Titan Sound and this since they're at least partially similar. I'd only heard of it in passing and then saw it on sale and it looked pretty interesting. 

One thing I find amusing is that the EU version plat is over 2.5% rarity while the US version is .71% :D I think this is the first time I haven't ended up playing the most common version of a game. :(

Doing a short check-up to see how the event's going, lots of fun games being played!

You can't see it because I put my trophy view on friends only (how's THAT for killing my completion - actually it's just another step in my plan to game more; if I can't look up my profile here then I'll bother with the trophies less and I can just enjoy the games more), but I still played through all my games from day two, as well as playing a bunch of other games from my list. Played through the Hitman prologue (will definitely buy the full game but will wait on a better sale as it doesn't offer enough content for me), Firewatch (cool game and also dang, @PerryToxteth was not kidding about the emotional prologue...) and The Fall (awesome game, will buy the sequel right away when it releases on the Switch) earlier this week. Then I wanted something new so I traded in a bunch of games I was done with and bought Elite Dangerous with the acquired funds. Those who know the game now realise my completion percentage won't be looked at any time soon...

On 02/07/2017 at 6:59 PM, Hemiak said:

I gave Mim the choice to choose which of the main list games to start and was completely surprised when this was the game she picked. The only thing I know about this game is what I learned from Billy's reviews and that it's a short and easy platinum. Apparently I didn't pay very good attention to Billy's info because it's not what I was expecting. 

This game is basically a 60s style B grade sci-fi movie. You the "viewer" is watching the movie while listening to commentary provided by the original director. This all I was expecting. 

The game is basically a top down shooter where you control one of three characters as they climb the "Deadly Tower...." I don't know exactly what I was expecting but this isn't it. 

Don't know what you were expecting but it helps that I rarely talk about gameplay specifics... Setting, story and overall feeling are often what I discuss because those are what interest me. The gameplay is a bit bland but I think the overall game is hilarious.

On 03/07/2017 at 10:37 AM, Crimson Idol said:
  Reveal hidden contents

635748130047315744-625393540_Spongebob-S

Sorry to hear that but at least the reasons are of positve nature. Still, the forum and this event specifically won't be the same without you. Take care!

On 03/07/2017 at 2:06 PM, PerryToxteth said:

Billy,

We'll miss you! Keep in touch! 

Thanks for the kind words, both! I may check in from time to time but I've got you both on PSN so I'm not going far :)

On 04/07/2017 at 4:01 PM, Jaguargenie said:

Lf392ea.png

Volume 

Initial Impressions

(...)

- BORING

That's too bad, I feel like buying this game at some point because of the dev's earlier work.

• Like 3