How Sony could reward Trophy Hunters

aZombieDictator

They definitely wouldn't send you one for free but I would totally drop a considerable amount of money for a real life trophy for a level milestone. But that's me dreaming. Something more realistic is digital content. Themes are pretty good. The Horizon theme was pretty cool although I definitely preferred the limited edition theme which I already had.

• Like 1

Trophy hunters are a niche market for Sony. They don't care about trophies, probably even pissed they had to create the thing to copy xBox. It gives them trouble and overhead they don't need or want. All that makes them slightly happy is that trophy hunters do buy a lot of games. They'll throw a little carrot or two to give a magnanimous action,but don't expect anything more.

Well, are we not already rewarded by ourselves? Our trophy level increasing is already a reward, as well as for our own hobby. A few extra avatars might be okay, but I don't think money or a % off for games is necessary nor even a good idea. The other potential flaw with the overall idea - how would we reward another type of trophy hunter who isn't necessarily bothered at all about the numbers, but is courageous and skilled enough to complete extremely difficult games like Super Meat Boy? Their trophy progress may be slower and their trophy level lower, but often I find quality more impressive than quantity. Money off for trophies will only further encourage people to buy games like My Name Is Mayo with financial thoughts in their head... I personally don't really want that. Small rewards such as a few extra avatars I am not against though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, audiopile said:

They could force game devs to fix bugged trophies if they cared at all about us. 

Ha, this is actually a pretty good reward. I'm looking at you Luftrausers, Polybius & many more. 

Edited by olimoo101

Honestly, IMO... trophies should be about the personal satisfaction of earning them, and nothing else really.

Give them too much power and all that'll do is give incentive to more people trying to cheat, glitch, hack and exploit their way to the rewards.  Which will just further mess with the global completion stats and make the trophy/achievement community more of a joke.  Just be glad the trophy system is currently so solid... and isn't a complete waste of space like Steam achievements, where there are programs to just unlock them at the click of a button.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 5:54 PM, gamesfourever said:

so far, the only games that give you a theme for platting it are Horizon: Zero Dawn and Bloodborne right? Or are there more?

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 give you themes for getting the plat (you also get themes for gold trophies as well). This was a perk from the game publisher, though, not Sony.

No, there are already enough people getting platinums that have no value because all they have to do is press X for 15 minutes. We don't need more incentives for that practice to grow.

What I think they should do is make a difference from platinums that come from game with a rating over 2.5/5 and those below. Trophies from games below a 2.5/5 average score on PSN should have less "value" somehow, like being in a different category. Although that would introduce a different problem into the system: people creating accounts to bring a game's score up to the required value. So you know what? Don't mind me, I only have terrible ideas, lol.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:54 PM, gamesfourever said:

so far, the only games that give you a theme for platting it are Horizon: Zero Dawn and Bloodborne right? Or are there more?

I believe the Kingdom Heart games do as well.  There are six free themes you can get for just beating the games.

Unless there is a Life of Black Tiger avatar + theme combo is it even worth it?  We get trophies, levels and personal satisfaction, I'm not even sure being drowned in themes and avatars would do that much tbh, I only use 1-3 different themes and have been sporting the HZD plat avatar since I got it.  I figure many gamers will stick with one theme / avatar combo and roll with that most of the time.  Also most of these "reward" themes and avatars you are hoping for would most likely end up rush jobs at the end of development and not be as "rewarding" as you hope.  As for other rewards, anything monetary based or related to money in any way would be rife with scams and abuses and ultimately not worth the time and trouble for Sony to police.

I would be great to reward trophy hunters in some way, considering the fact that the majority of gamers don't trophy hunt at all (I know a lot gamers in real life and come across many at events, but for some reason I have yet to meet a trophy hunter...). It's like we all conjugate on sites like this.

I'd like a special trophy for certain milestones with trophies. Or titles, like novice, expert, trophy legend etc..  along with levels. 

Money off games seems like asking for the moon as Sony seems to prefer taking rather than giving but it would be nice to get the odd voucher or something after earning a certain number of plats. The problem with that would be region in that they probably would only reward you for games from one region or something with the way PSN works.

Rewarding with themes or avatars of the games you got the plat would be a dream come true for me. The only games I played that rewarded you with themes was FFXIII and XIII-2, it's a pity not all or at least most games don't have this.

• 1 month later...