What are your thoughts on 'Speedruns'?

Artful

As far as trophies go, speed runs are great when they are organic to the process. I can't imagine a Metroid-style game without a speed run, and such a run is organic in a game like Sonic as well. On the other hand, for point-and-click games, they're just stupid to me.

As far as watching people do speed runs of games, I tried one time, and found it kind of boring. 

• Like 1

I don't mind them in games like Sonic and Rayman. But I don't like trophies that have you complete the game in less then 8 hours, 40 or whatever else since I general don't like being rushed to play a game. 
Don't care for watching them either since most of the time the speed runs someone uses glitches and stuff to get the fastest time. 

Like the god of war trophies that required to complete the game in a short amount of time and Uncharted.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate them and find them very stressful. I only do them for the trophies, but the only game I've played so far with a speed run trophy was Tales of Vesperia. It was pretty easy and lax though, it gives you 15 hours to do the game but I did it in 4 and half hours. It's easily done in 5 hours max if you skip all the scenes, avoid battles and play on easy mode. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I believe that is impresive. Anyone who can actually beat a game with inhuman speed and ALSO plat that game, is beyond humanity. I know, there're always exploits that people do and that takes a lot of research. Also, I truly believe that anyone who wants to speedrun any game must to practice it until master it. I learnt from a thread I did that you need to pour +800 hours into a single game to properly speedrun it. But honestly, seeing people just destroy a game in matter of hours, and not just only one, but a bunch of them with days in a row is something to awe. People in this site are truly insane, and they are beyond my respect. I honestly don't know how to feel about them, LOL. Also, they are really passionate about gaming. Seeing and acknowleding people doing it and having the ability to do such feats, changed forever my views about gaming and life itself, too. Truly. 

I’m blown away by speedruns on quite hard games (like Bloodborne, Sekiro, ...) and even more impressed if its no hit/no damage etc. Like additional rules to the speedrun.

Personally I don’t like doing them, I’d get frustrated cause of the time and if something doesn’t work out and screws up the time.

This one man was doing a speedrun on the Dark Souls trilogy (no hit/no damage), he managed to do it; up until the end of DS3, which fucked the whole thing up. That must be awful, he ragequitted his livestream as well, the poor guy. :/

If it's what someone enjoys, then sure. I actually really enjoy watching people speedrun the Resident Evil games. I, myself can complete FFVII within 5 hours, but there's a lot faster out there, I just see that as an accomplishment compared to my first playthrough of it, most are also kind of what the hell when they learn I can do it in that timing. If I was going for 100% though it would of course take a bit longer.

• Like 1

I don't really care to do them myself, and am not thrilled about a trophy that requires you to beat a game in a short time (especially if I miss it by a few seconds). Generally, speedrunning takes more patience than I have... the extra time required to constantly retry that one game for the sake of speedrunning it is something I'd rather spend playing others. That said, watching others do them can be fun.

Now if the game's scoring is time based (The Ninja Warriors Once Again, Time Crisis, or Tekken/Soulcalibur series arcade modes) then I don't mind it as much.

• Like 1

I love to watch speedruns, even more on games I have played. 

My favorite type is any%, just breezing thought the game while commenting on strays and/or the game itself. 

I don't mind trophy related speedruns, Uncharted 4 was easy for example. I also like to spedrun games with no trophy attached to it, if a game has NG+ I will definitely do a any% run. I'm, in no way, a good speedrunner, but if I wasn't a trophy hunter, I would be running through games

Edited by maiathewinners

They are so fun to watch,  I'm currently playing last of us and somehow stumbled upon watching a speedrun on YouTube.  Now I everyday check this guys twitch channel to watch him.  Even tempted to donate some coin to him just because he's kept me occupied for hours just watching when I'm at work,  etc. 

Did the same when playing max payne 3, and I often check the super mario speedrun records to see if any have been broken.  

I hate them. 

I’m a completionist so by my very nature I need lots of time. Speed runs stress me out, they’re sloppy and rushed and so many things skipped and overlooked ah!!

Also I feel like speed run trophies are just lazy. They’re a cheap way to add a hard trophy to a game. 

• Like 1

I could waste my life watching speedruns, so I actively decided to stop ? I still tune into the speedrunning events though... It's just so fascinating, watching people destroy a game they have practiced for hundreds of hours... Like MatteSMB, the best Super Meat Boy player, casually getting Impossible Boy while attempting a PB... just blows my mind. 

Personally, I have thought many times about speedrunning a game (like seriously speedrunning one) but it just takes way too much commitment and is impossible to take it as "something to do on the side". 

As for speedruns for trophies... I mostly like them... It adds an extra challenge and forces you to know the game inside-out. That being said, I only like them in games that are made for being completed fast. Bound has like 8 speedrun-related trophies, but the game is perfect for this kind of challenge. On the other hand, The Last Guardian has a pointless sub-5h trophy, and that is definitely not a game you want to rush through... Given how Trico behaves, it just doesn't allow for speedrunning. ? 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Quite impressive. Sometimes speedrunning makes the game harder or makes the game extremely easy. Speedrun achievements are fine as long as the time they want you to do is very doable and not a few minutes off before voiding the achievement. Those kind of achievements are the worst.
Edited by Kimura Takahashi