Post your newest 100%

Aexuz

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lebf010.png

To this day, I have faint memories of my early teenage self playing D64, and thinking it was the best Doom title so far. This excellent remastered port by the competent folks at Nightdive Studios doesn't alter that opinion—in fact, I think this is superior to whatever the hell Doom 3 was trying to be.

I've never really enjoyed the labyrinthine map design in classic Doom games, but this one does a decent job of nudging the player in the right direction, while offering some clever puzzles and surprising enemy placement. The inability to look up or jump is a bit jarring by today's FPS standards, but the simple and fast-paced combat is still fun in 2020, and the monsters look great. Stylish lighting, too; very foreboding.

Earning 100% was laughably easy with the use of passwords, but maybe I'll go back and finish a proper playthrough of this eventually. It's pretty good!

Edited by ScarecrowsFate
  • Like 3

Le585bf.png
                                                                                                                          Pix the Cat
                                                                                              Difficulty: 9/10 (6 or 7/10 with pause buffering)
                                                                                                             Completion Rarity: 0.30%

Thanks to PS+, many of us probably have this game lurking in the depths of our backlogs. With such intimidating rarity percentages, I've been curious to see what this game was all about and finally decided to give it a shot. What I found was an addicting and pleasantly modern take on the gameplay found in games like Snake and Pac-Man alongside a couple of fun diversions in the "Laboratory" and "Nostalgia" modes.

The gameplay is simple; you traverse a hazard-filled maze collecting eggs, avoiding your "tail" that extends with each egg you collect, and depositing the adorable ducklings that hatch from the eggs in specific locations throughout the maze. 

All but two of the trophies are fairly simple to earn while the hardest two are exploitable: whenever the player unpauses their game, the action will not resume at full speed right away. It instead builds up to full speed through a brief period of slow-motion that lasts roughly half a second. For the sake of accessibility, this would normally be a great feature as high speed games can be disorienting to unpause. But when it comes to challenge, this feature can be abused to make movement much, much easier. Taking advantage of this slow motion by pause buffering repeatedly will trivialize high speed sections and give you a lot of breathing room when planning your route.

As a result, the absurdly rare "CREME DE LA CREME" and "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"  trophies for earning 2 million points in the arcade main grid and 1.5 million points in the arcade dessert grid respectively can be earned without much headache as long as you are patient enough to learn the routes of each level and pause buffer whenever the speed starts to overwhelm you. I had a lot of fun regardless and definitely recommend it if you need to scratch that arcade itch!           

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
S810431.png
All 13 Trophies
17th December 2020  Completed in 5 years, 1 month

Been playing this on an off. Got the online trophy a few weeks before server closure. When I got all the other trophies I had only 12 hours left to grind for the 100 hour trophy. 

Played Shadow of Mordor or Read some Manhwa while using time trick.

Glad I did not start the other Montezuma game ( think it was called Arena).

• Like 2

L6bbcb0.png

10L640871.png

0.56%
Ultra Rare

I beat Sine Mora, and all I got was this stupid hand injury.

An arcadey shooter, which differentiates itself from other side-scrolling shmups I've played by having a unique time mechanic, instead of the usual 1-2 hit deaths or health bar. Destroying enemies or collecting certain pick-ups increases the remaining time, while getting hit incurs a time penalty. If you run out of time, you die. It encourages aggressive, precise play, and is probably the best aspect of this title. Time travel technology in military applications ties into the bleak story, which has some interesting moments, but attempts to tackle extremely dark subject matter in a very glib way, by having the anthropomorphic animal characters pontificate at you during loading screens. It gets real uncomfortable, real fast; some top-notch edgy cringe. I'd rather talk about the gameplay.

The 100% would've been around a 7/10 difficulty, without the Dies Irae trophy requirement of finishing a level on Insane without power-ups. That one brings it up to like, an 8.5. for me. "I know—let's have the player beat a level on the highest difficulty, without collecting power-ups, in our game where said power-ups are automatically collected if they're on screen at the end of a stage. Also, make sure power-ups bounce all over the place in confined spaces. I am a very intelligent game designer!" If there's any justice in the world, the people responsible for unfair challenges like this are no longer a part of the industry. The worm tunnel is largely luck, since pick-ups can be basically unavoidable sometimes. So annoying!

It took me around 3 hours of attempts to succeed, so all you can do is keep practicing, and don't allow yourself to become disheartened at the many early failures. It's absolutely imperative to save a Gemini Drone sub-weapon and 30-40% of the Reflection Capsule for the train boss (Matouschka) at the end, or the fight becomes far tougher to deal with. Also, I tried to preserve my thumb, and only mash the shoot button when necessary (mostly against the bosses and worms). I'm sure a rapid fire controller would have made this a bit easier, but I wasn't about to shell out $50 for one, just to make this game less irritating.

Here's my successful run, if you're curious:

Spoiler

• Like 2

Lae8c4d.png

This was a nice bit of DLC, though like the main story, one where most players can tell what was copy-pasted from Arkham City. From a Bruce Wayne opening, to having to subdue Freeze with different takedowns.... actually, I think that was it. Plus, they DO add an additional way to cause him damage, so it isn't completely the same. The rest of the DLC isn't too different from the main campaign, which itself is a reskin of Arkham City, so whatever.

Still, not a bad piece of additional story, and give them credit for finding a villain that suits the winter theme going on. Now all that stands between me and the platinum is the MP.

Edited by RedRodriguez87

• 2 weeks later...

ARKEDO SERIES - 01 JUMP! (PS3)

L4e2561.png

2021 for me is going to be the year of the backlog for sure and that mainly focuses on finishing up PS3 as best I can, starting with this.

This was a fun little side scrolling platformer only made by a handful of developers and I enjoyed my time with it. It was very colourful and held up surprisingly well given it's age, even if it was very short. I will see if I can 100% the series eventually, although the others definitely look more challenging. 

Edited by SirDave1988
  • Like 1

La9039a.png

Lords of the Fallen

Still the worst Souls-like I've played (and among the worst games period), but with the Ancient Labyrinth DLC on sale, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to 100% another game. The agonizingly sluggish combat in this buggy piece of crap gives me a migraine, and the "new" reskinned enemies were all immune/resistant to physical damage, so I often had to chip away at them with gauntlet projectiles. It was about as fun as a dentist visit. How these developers moved on to create the actually good "The Surge" series is beyond me—one of the most surprising improvements I've seen.

• Like 2

L5220e7.png

Genshin Impact 

This game wasn't originally on my radar in 2020, but given its a F2P game, I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised to find out how much I really enjoyed it. Mihoyo did a wonderful job creating a beautiful world of Teyvat, despite there being only two and half regions introduced thus far. Whether it be exploring the world, solving puzzles, beating bad guys/bosses, completing story/side quests, limited time events, getting new characters/equipment, it all culminates in a fun and addictive gameplay loop. For many like myself, this was also my first "gaacha" game, but it is not necessary to spend any money at all in this game, as all of the content can be cleared without needing the "best" characters/weapons from randomly pulling the games wish system. I see myself playing this game long past my trophy completion and can't wait for new updates and content in the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

I've decided to finally play this series, in order of release. I thought this one was going to be a lot harder, being a 8-bit game inspired by another franchise that wasn't exactly known for being super-easy. The only things that really gave me some headaches were the second and the final bosses (especially the latter) in Ultimate Mode. The rest of the game was a breeze, it's easy to complete both with a full team and solo and i liked the replayability. Hopefully i'll play the "big one" (Ritual of the Night) very soon, i haven't played an IGAvania in ages...

• Like 4