What's your best/worst gaming purchase of 2017?

kidson2004

This year was pretty good I think but...

BEST

- Uncharted Lost Legacy - glad to see that Uncharted can still be awesome without Nathan Drake!

- Wolfenstein II - heard slightly mixed things online, but for the most part I am SO happy I purchased in the Black Friday sale, was half price. Hoping for a 3rd game.

WORST

- Mass Effect Andromeda - compared to the original Trilogy, for me, it just lacked everything. I tried forcing my way through a potential 100% run but I just got bored and ended up blasting through the Story pretty quickly. Hoping that Bioware can get Mass Effect back on track!

- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Was expecting a lot from this game, and left utterly dismayed. Just wasn't what I wanted from a Deus Ex game, especially with how short it was.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is this the power pass thing that let you have free unlimited rentals? It was canceled?

Anyway, for me, it was a pretty good year of purchases, but probably I would say:

Yeah, it was cancelled after being up and running for just a few hours. Well, not "canceled", but rather "suspended" is the verbiage being used by Gamestop. Hopefully it comes back at some point. 

Oh! I forgot to mention, discovered buying games through Red Box this year! Snagged Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex (PS4) and Agents of Mayhem for a grand total of $25 over the course of this year! 

Best Buys:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Tekken 7

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Hitman: Absolution

Hitman

inFamous Second Son / First Light

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Watch Dogs 2: Gold Edition

Life is Strange: Before the Storm Deluxe

Assassin's Creed Origins: Gold Edition

Horizon Zero Dawn / The Frozen Wilds

L.A. Noire Remastered Edition 

A mixture of new and old games. So many good new games this year I could not just pick one.

Bad Buys:

NCIS Game

It's just kinda boring.

Edited by Jamescush147
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gameman999 said:

It's all good my dude. Don't pay attention to those who shame you for not liking a game they like. It's what makes the world unique. Do you think it'd be a fun world if everyone liked the same thing? Anyway, most like, if you don't like the first area of Bloodborne you probably won't like the rest of the game either. One makes Bloodborne fun for me, is the challenging gameplay and trying to figure out the secrets of that mysterious universe. It compels me to learn more. I'd recommend if you really want to like Bloodborne, read item descriptions it well give you a little information leaving you with wanting more. However it might not. The Souls games are not for everyone. So I don't blame you if you can't get into it. 

Hey you never know after I spend A LOT OF TIME WITH IT I might like it :)

Edited by Shiny Suicune
Accidently posted it mutiple times o.o

Probably the best ones
Blue Reflection
Horizon Zero Dawn
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Metroid Samus Returns
Okami
Assassin's Creed Origins
Sonic Forces(I do like Sonic Forces even though the controls are a bit clunky or at least it feels like sometimes)
Nier Automata
Embers of Mirrim

Worst
I would say Life of Black Tiger but can't include that really because I knew that game was going to be bad before I bought it.

Best: FF14. I told my brother when Red mage was in the game I would get it. I bought so many games in the last 6 months that are just sitting there, because FF14 is that good.

Worst: Mass Effect was way too buggy which really really made me mad. As a Mass Effect fan who hated ME3's ending. I wanted something amazing, not some sub-par BS!

Best purchases in 2017 

- Nintendo Switch. Haven't played many games on it yet, but the hardware and OS are quality stuff. Switch already has a great game library that grows constantly. 

- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Limited Edition for Nintendo 3DS. Really good game that was packed with super good extras: hardcover artbook, amazing 30 track soundtrack, metallic pins in a collector box and 2 amiibos. 

- Journey™ for PS4. Amazing experience. We even ordered Journey Traveler scarves for me and husbando after I had completed the game. 

Worst purchases in 2017 

- I don't think any of my purchases were bad, so it's really hard to think of what would have been the worst. Maybe all the games I bought I haven't had time to start or play yet?

• Like 1

In terms of value my best and worst purchase was Destiny 2.  Got three deluxe edition codes for $65 so I gave one to my brother-in-law and sold the other for $80.  The game itself lasted all but like, three days or so though... at least I still turned a profit.

Best Game: Persona 5

Worst Game: Akiba’s Beat

Best: Way too many great games to list, but the Switch + Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade Chronicles was a fairly exciting combination across the year as it's the newest addition to my growing collection of games and generations of consoles. Keeping it PS4 related, Horizon Zero Dawn was my first 4K HDR game and what surprised me the most, as I recently went all in on 4k tech, including just adding an Xbox One X recently. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, as a result, get a special mention here, as, especially with the X, the tech is great, and the results have been awesome if you have the TV that has all the bells and whistles that they can take advantage of.

Worst: ummm... probably with purchases made this year, it would be Ark: Survival Evolved, but I'm still really kind of toasted on the grind that was getting the trophies rather than speaking out against the game itself. I think the only other game that I can think of that I bought this year that was more "good, maybe not great" was Ghost Recon: Wildlands, but I'll admit that it's a great game to play on the side and with the introduction of the Pro and X, it keeps getting better and better visually. Other than that, I really have no complaints about any game I bought and played all year, and pretty much have nothing but good things to say as I work through my backlog.

• 1 month later...

Best was Final Fantasy XII TZA: Beautiful remake, very challenging as usual with trial mode as well as all the great crystal and numerous super bosses. Overall, great gameplay, design, music and characters, like a true FF.

Worst was FFXV, horrible game for many reasons and I find it hard to see it as a true FF. I hope people who only played FFXV don't get the false impression that that's what Final Fantasy is. The only thing good was the graphics like most other ps4 games these days. 

My best was easily HZD & Nier: Automata. I even dropped serious monies & got them both at the same time. 

The worst was Akiba's Beat. I thought it was going to be somewhere close to Akiba's Trip, but I was wrong. The game is God awful IMO.

Best: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Worst: World of Final Fantasy - Because I bought a wrong region.The DLC voice catalogue isn't compatible. Heck,, I didn't notice squarenix did a separate file for the voice catalogue for vita lol but I still have plan to buy the right region",

Best: Limited edition boxed version of the PC game Hollow Knight from IndieBox.  The game was my 2017 GOTY and while I'd much prefer a physical Switch or PS4 version (when it "eventually" comes to console)... this PC box set is very rare.  The only way to get it was to be a subscriber to their monthly "indie game boxes" and they were very unclear which month Hollow Knight was going to be.  So I missed it.  I was so happy that I managed to nab one of the 70 leftover copies they had for sale on Cyber Monday.  As you can imagine, they were gone within a minute or two of their store listing opening.

Worst: The Evil Within 2.  I never sold off a pre-order so quickly after picking it up.  Loved the first game (after I warmed up to it), second game made me sick to my stomach with its hamfisted open world-isms and loss of just about anything that made the original unique, and scary for that matter.  I re-purchased it used for cheap on eBay a few days ago actually now that the prices have gone down quite a bit... I'll give it another try... but it's on my very short list of pre-order disappointments.

Edited by Dreakon13

Best: Persona 5

I've played a little of Persona 4. But Persona 5 is an amazing game and my GOTY. I look forward to going back through the game for the trophies.

Worst: The Order 1886 and For Honor. Got The Order 1886 just to see how bad it was. The game has potential but so much more could've been done. For Honor seemed interesting but I could've passed on this game.

Edited by S-Dub19

• 3 weeks later...

Best: Persona 5. 

My GOTY. My favourite RPG of all time. Just wonderful. I can't believe I got it for just 40€ (around 50$).

Worst: I didn't buy any bad game in 2017, but, even though I'm sad saying it, I'd say Overwatch. I never really got involved (just to specify that I don't hate, OW, it's an amazing game, I just never got so involved in it).

Best: Cuphead

Worst: Call of Duty WWII

Cuphead was absolutely amazing! I've found it hard to get into anything since, really. 

The only reason I picked Call of Duty WWII as my worst purchase; is because I bought the Deluxe edition and didn't really enjoy the multiplayer. More of a regret than a dislike.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:02 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Anyway, for me, it was a pretty good year of purchases, but probably I would say:

BEST: Toss up between Dragon Quest Heroes and Axiom Verge. I got both on the cheap, and both offered a ton of fun. In fact, I bought a second copy of Axiom Verge just to support Tom Happ, and I bought Dragon Quest Heroes II just yesterday.

WORST: Probably Toro or Taco Master. Even if both were cheap (Toro was already highly discounted, and Taco Master is just cheap all the time), both games were awful. There's no excuse for a game to be that bad.

It's funny looking back at this, because Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is probably my favorite game from last year.

Did Persona 5 come out in 2017? If so, I can't believe I forgot to list it.