The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Brother's Keeper - 1992

This documentary by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky details the murder trial of Delbert Ward. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death.

A police investigation and Medical Examiner's autopsy suggested that Bill may not have died from natural causes and Delbert was arrested on charges of Second-Degree Murder. Under questioning by police, Delbert appears to have waived his rights and signed a confession, but this film suggests that he may not have been competent to do so.

The film explores possible motives for the crime, from 'mercy-killing' (Bill was ill at the time) to progressively more bizarre hypotheses. It also shows how residents of the rural community of Munnsville, NY rallied to the support of one of their own residents (previously considered a social outcast), against what they felt were intrusive 'big-city' police and District Attorney tactics.

We just watched this documentary last night, and all I can say is that is exceptionally engrossing, compelling and just......well.....wow.

Not only was it astounding to see that there are those who are still this uneducated and illiterate, it was equally disturbing to see how the police and District Attorney were so completely obtuse to how idiotic their "interrogation" of the accused and his brothers were given their obvious illiteracy. Now keep in mind, the brothers could not read, write and were so illiterate, they could not even tell time, and that level of illiteracy is very evident just hearing them speak and seeing how they lived. Although they were farmers, they lived very much how farmers did 2 centuries ago, and about as educated.

When the accused brother asked if he wanted to "Wave his rights" before questioning, he replied "Yes", and the interrogation continued. When asked if he knew what that meant, he said "I have no idea, they told me that if I answered the way they said I should, I could go home."

Interesting documentary that can be found on NETFLIX and DVD.

7/10

Carriers-2009-210x300.jpg

Carriers - 2009

Carriers is a post apocalyptic movie that follows many of the same preconceptions of an infection movie but is set with an interesting time frame in mind. Most post apocalyptic movies take place at the start through the end of an outbreak if it involves an infection or well after an outbreak occurs. In Carriers we get to see between the end of an outbreak that has decimated the human population and the eventual rebuilding process as we follow two brothers and two women trying to survive while avoid being infected. They follow a few very basic rules of avoiding the general populace and covering up when they do need to come in contact with other survivors to attempt and avoid infection. Their goal? A nearly deserted beach that the brothers grew up staying at where they would be able to stay isolated and be self sufficient through fishing.

Visually the film was well shot and gives us a world portrayed as still nearly intact. There is still electricity and in the areas they travel through there has not been an overly destroyed infrastructure. While the majority of humanity is clearly dead, electricity, roads, shelter, etc are all still intact. Not enough time has gone by to show a completely destroyed and ransacked world by those who are able to survive. It truly had that dreary feel that is brought forth by the well done zombie films that are about a world where we are no longer the masters of our domain.

An ever ending sea of depression and hopelessness is covering the land and our characters are still able to hold onto a hope for survival. They have a plan and believe this plan will bring them to survival and safety that will allow them to move past the decimation of the human race.

We just watched this the other night, and it was surprisingly good. The storyline was well scripted, the acting was very good, and the overall feel of the film drew you into the movie. You could almost feel the dread and hopelessness of the characters.

If you like "Doomsday" or Apocalyptic type movies, and are looking for one that is a little different and not full of cliches, you may just enjoy this movie. It must also be noted that, although there are a few scenes, overall the movie relies on great storytelling, acting and camera-work to tell the story rather than gore and buckets of blood.

Looks like I missed my Tuesday cue. Anyhow, I watched Casablanca (1942). It holds more spots on AFI's various lists than any other film ever, but I gotta say, I didn't enjoy it that much. It's a romantic of sorts, and so many cliches stemmed from it, that watching it as a person from the modern age makes it seem like the epitome of cliches. Anyhow, it didn't really do much for me. I wasn't really interested in the love between Rick and Ilsa, and quite frankly I didn't care whether then ended up together or not. In the end the movie was more about love of country, aka patriotism. Being that this movie was a result of World War II, that's probably why I don't appreciate it as much. Unfortunately, I don't think I would recommend this film to anyone. To me, the main thing you'll get out of watching is it is being able to say that you've watched it.

Bronenosets%20Potyomkin_3.jpg

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)

I watched this as it is said to be one of the greatest films ever made, but having watched it I don't really know what I think. It was refreshing watching a film with no dialogue. The soundtrack was fitting and enjoyable to listen to. I can see why the film would have been so ground breaking in it's day but most of the film was just okay I suppose, however I do know that the critics' views of the film are influencing my own view, as I tend to trust the critics with films and video games, so I don't trust myself when I say most of it was okay. </p>

But I said most of the film, as the fourth part, (the film is split into five parts), the 'Odessa Steps' truly is a great piece of cinema, it really makes you feel something.

You can watch the Odessa Steps sequence here, it doesn't really kick off until 0:45 so don't just stop after ten seconds or less.

• Like 1

Bronenosets%20Potyomkin_3.jpg

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)

I watched this as it is said to be one of the greatest films ever made, but having watched it I don't really know what I think. It was refreshing watching a film with no dialogue. The soundtrack was fitting and enjoyable to listen to. I can see why the film would have been so ground breaking in it's day but most of the film was just okay I suppose, however I do know that the critics' views of the film are influencing my own view, as I tend to trust the critics with films and video games, so I don't trust myself when I say most of it was okay. </p>

But I said most of the film, as the fourth part, (the film is split into five parts), the 'Odessa Steps' truly is a great piece of cinema, it really makes you feel something.

You can watch the Odessa Steps sequence here, it doesn't really kick off until 0:45 so don't just stop after ten seconds or less.

That's a very good movie. Props to you!

I watched Tuck & Dale Vs Evil, What Happens in Vegas and Easy A (except for the last 20 mintues). Yes, we were bored.

evil-brain-from-outer-space-posterjpg-a1dbfd5e6e2d7a9d_medium.jpg

Evil Brain from Outer Space (1965)

A monstrous evil brain from outer space leads his minions on a crusade to conquer the universe, and unleashes hideous monsters on Earth that spread deadly diseases. Superhero Starman must rescue Earth from the menace of the evil brain while battling armies of monsters the brain sends against him.

Watched this late last night, and being a fan of cheesy sci-fi, I found this quite amusing...but I also like Starman as well, so go figure.

Not a great or even good movie by any standards, but if you are willing to disengage your brain and go back to the days when you were a 10-year old kid watching Saturday afternoon movies, Evil Brain from Outer Space will, if nothing else, entertain you.

evilbrain_2.jpg

220px-The_Canyon.jpg

The Canyon (2009)

Young newlyweds Nick and Lori decide to spend their honeymoon frolicking in the wild and wide expanse of the Grand Canyon, a longtime dream destination for the groom. But when a charismatic and mysterious guide arrives, their wedded bliss suddenly turns into a story of survival.

Although the description of the movie makes it sound like a typical "Bad guy vs. Good Guys" movie, it is anything but; not even close. Note the word "survival", as what happens in this movie is exactly that.

Intense, gripping and well acted, The Canyon will have you glued to your seat in no time.

Now on NETFLIX

7/10

114482.jpg

Inkheart - 2008

Mo Folchart possesses a secret ability to bring characters from books to life when he reads them aloud. But when Mo accidentally brings a power-hungry villain from a rare children's fable to life, the villain kidnaps Mo's daughter and demands Mo bring other evil fictional characters to life. In an attempt to rescue his daughter, Mo assembles a disparate group of friends --both real and magic--and embarks on a journey to save her and set things right.

We watched this movie the other night, and found it to be quite an enjoyable adventure/fantasy movie with a unique storyline. Well acted by Brendan Fraser and Helen Mirren, this movie is excellent for adults and children alike, and one that should not be passed up if your get a chance to watch it.

Creative script, well developed characters, atmospheric cinematography, exceptional storyline and well acted by all cast members.

e8seav.jpg

Super - 2010

After his wife falls under the influence of a drug dealer, an everyday guy transforms himself into Crimson Bolt, a superhero with the best intentions, though he lacks for heroic skills.

Loved this film. I knew it wasnt going to be your typical tights and spandex affair, but it was everything I hoped for and more. One of the Critics mention that it is better than kick ass, but its unfair to compare the two. This really is a lot closer to what would happen if your average man on the edge decided to pick up the mask and cape.

The show is pretty much stolen by Ellen Page as Boltie, and Kevin Bacon Once again plays the asshole we want to see get his comeuppance.

Beware though, The 18 cert is there for a reason, Its not one to be watched with the kids. I'd give the film a solid 7 out of 10 and would especially recommend it to those of you that think superhero movies are too far fetched.

EDIT: Also, be on the lookout for Nathan Fillion as the Holy Avenger!

uninvited1944.jpg

The Uninvited (1944)

Considered one of the best "Haunted House" movies ever made, I certainly have to agree that The Uninvited is indeed one of the best movies of this particular ilk ever made.

A brother and sister move into an old seaside house they find abandoned for many years on the English coast. Their original enchantment with the house diminishes as they hear stories of the previous owners and meet their daughter (now a young woman) who now lives as a neighbor with her grandfather. Also heard are unexplained sounds during the night. It becomes obvious that the house is haunted. The reasons for the haunting and how they relate to the daughter whom the brother is falling in love with, prove to be a complex mystery. As they are compelled to solve it, the supernatural activity at the house increases to a frightening level.

Exceptional cast, writing, direction and cinematography make The Uninvited one of the best movies to ever hit the silver screen.

10/10