Gaming Confessions

Well, I must confess that there is only one trophy that I did not earn myself, however it did not require skill or even playing the game at all. This online trophy required you to visit this defunct game for 50 consecutive days... Yeah, you guessed it, the trophy's name is "There's No Place Like Home" from PlayStation Home. I had less than 10 logins when my PS3 broke on December 2014, the shutdown was previously announced to be on March 2015. Since it looked like my PS3 was going to be a lot of time out of order, I asked one of my closest psn friends (if not the closest) if she could log in into the game for me each day until the trophy popped. She said yes and about 40 days later she messaged me giving me the good news. I only ask her to earn this trophy for me because she would have to do nothing but to log in into the game (no playing involved), and because I did not want to have an incomplete game that was going to be unachievable a few weeks later on my profile. I didn't even intented to play this game at all, I only checked what it really was since I always noticed that icon on the xmb, I earned a couple trophies and synced the trophies when I earned some trophies from another game I guess.

I earned all the other trophies on my profile myself.

• Like 2

3 things:

1 - When PS1 was out, my family didn't buy it for me. They forced me to use my savings. So I did. However, I kept inviting my little brother age 5-6 to watch me play. When he wanted to play I said NO. When my family asked me to let him play, I said no since I paid for it with my savings. At the end, I forced them to pay me half of what I paid to let my brother play.

2 - Every time bestbuy has a deal on games, I buy them and go return them full price at Walmart. This one I regret the most.

3 - When my wife was giving birth, I was out of the country but on skype with her. However, I wanted to try Bulletstorm since it was just out in PSN+ and I ended up playing the game and pretending to be with her until my girl was born

Edited by AbuRiyam
  • Like 4

If I were just to up and stop purchasing games for a very long time, and only relegate myself to what I have now, my backlog would probably last me at least a good 10 years, assuming I didn't stumble on a hidden savings account and quit my job to give me more time to get through it.

I also have no interest in the Battle Royale craze going on, and don't think I'll ever play Fortnite or watch a stream of someone playing it. I actually didn't even know what a "PUBG" was, having to google what it stood for not too long ago (shortly before the Xbox release) and the funny thing is that I browse tons of forums that are dedicated to hardware, gaming and general tech and somehow that sensation just completely flew under my radar and when I finally found out what they were talking about, I thought it was some sort of inside joke that I wasn't in on. To each their own, I guess.

Edited by iamjax
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Would be interested to here people's gaming confessions. 

Reveal all.  Could be a time you cheated on split-screen, accidentially overwrote someones save, a really OCD habit no-one else will understand but is something you have to do.   Could even be a terrible game you play WAY too often.   I'm going to mention one of each, being the generous person I am

I'll kick it off with a few.   Please don't judge TOO hard.

1) This will matter to no-one else in the entire world, I am sure, but I have a massive obsession with having game series in chronological order on my achievement and trophy list.   This is one of my few gripes with the UI of PS4; you can't load games and historically set them on your trophy list, and is sorted by your most recently earned.  I'm a bit of a completionist, so after a cheesy game on Xbox (i.e. Inkspolsion...) I'll quit load and quit my favourite series I've got 100% so I can look at my favourite completions (you know, Far Cry, Metro, BioShock, Wolfenstein, Madden, Resident Evil etc.) and not Energy Cycle, or Your Toy.    When I look down my achievement list they are in a lovely chronological order.  With PS, the fact I've done debug on Jak and Slyde will haunt me for the next 2 months, until i've done 5 or so games and it shuffles down my trophy list.  Yeh, I'm really sad and I think I'm the only person in the world who has this problem.

2) I once made up to a friend in school that I went from Aberdeen to Barcelona in 1-2 seasons in Fifa (like Fifa 04/05) because I  used to get picked on for being really s**t at Fifa in school.   They knocked on my door to play one day, and went to play on my Playstation 2, which was convieniently idled on Fifa.  I realised then that he would see I hadn't done it, so in my rational frame of mind erased my entire memory card whilst my mum (who was in on this plan) gave him some squash (Fifa, Tony Hawk Project 8, backup GTA saves and some Madden) JUST so I could go and wipe my card so I wouldn't get called out.   I even had to pretend to be shocked and upset, before being ACTUALLY shocked and upset because, like the f**king idiot I am because I erased my memory card.    12 years later, and I'm the most honest man in the world...I don't think I've ever told a lie since. 

3) I am always pretty transparant about whether I've played a video game or not.  I play and enjoy A LOT of series from A LOT of genres, but I'mm 23, I'm not going to pretend I was brought up on PS1 games because I was only 5 or 6 when the PS2 came out, and only got my first console age 9.  Ergo, I get irritated when people pretend they've played a game when they clearly haven't.   It's fine if you haven't, or if you like different hobbies, my friends all like different games and indeed different past times.  So when I met a friends girlfriend for the first time who pretended she played loads of games just to try and act cool, I would ask blatantly obvious questions like "Ah I can't wait for Halo 6, but I'm not sure if the PS Pro can handle it" or "What do you think about the Half Life 3 trailer" to responses along the line of "omg same".  NON SARCASTICALLY.   I felt a rush of power that no mortal man should even feel, and aside from a sore rib from being nudged by my sorely embaressed girlfriend, I realised that she was, for a moment, the metaphorical devil on my own shoulder.  I don't feel too bad, as she was horrible and they lasted 6 weeks, but the memories will last a lifetime.

4) I got a PS3 to play MGS4.   I played MGS4 a lot.  I loved MGS4.  Snake was like a brother I didn't have, just...with grey hair and a smoking problem.  However, as I hadn't played the other 3 games (ended up going back and playing 3), I didn't realise how long the cutscenes were.  I was 14 years old, and before GCSE's, my mum was really strict on my playing the game for only 2 hours at a time MAX.   So at the end of the game, with the literally 90-100 minutes of cutscenes (you know, really emotional and shocking cutscenes), she naturally didn't believe my plea and turned my console of by the plug because she got fed up of it.    And I still have't recovered from the trauma.   I ended up having to reload an older save and watching it all over again.

I once deleted or overwrote my brothers save file for gta San Andreas ( he was at the beginning of san fierro ) and I didn’t want him to get mad / upset , so when he went to sleep I restarted a new game and I played until I got to where he left off all in a few hours ( usually whenever I play gta San Andreas , even back then I would take my time with it and only do a couple missions and turn it off ) but yea anyway , if you’ve played San Andreas you know it’s quite lengthy to get to San Fierro lol 

• Like 1

There are a few things I would never confess with my name attached to them, but I have one thing that comes to mind that I can tell:

The first time I got to the last dungeon in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time I was too scared to go into the last part and fight Ganondorf, so I saved there and then told people I finished the game. I certainly didn't have the Triforce of Courage ?

• Like 3

Oh man, I can completely relate to your OCD @phantomfear9494. It was something I really wanted to do, but sadly became impossible to manage alongside all my other obsessions.

Spoiler
On 23/12/2017 at 8:22 AM, Zolkovo said:

Challenges

⇾ Maintain true 100% completion 2705.png

⇾ Only games with a :platinum: are allowed 2705.png

⇾ Specific trophies for every level-up that fall in line with a progression theme 2705.png

⇾ A critically acclaimed and well received title for all the platinum milestones 2705.png

⇾ Relevant and/or creative names for trophy related milestones (e.g. Elite for 1337) 2705.png

⇾ Use unique titles for all milestones and levels (with the exception of first few levels as they are packed so close together) 2705.png

⇾ Platinum trophies cannot be used for any regular milestones or levels 2705.png

⇾ An emphasis on supporting developers who take pride in their games and their audiences (e.g. CD Projekt Red) 26a0.png

⇾ Earn and maintain #1 on fastest 100% leaderboards for at least 1 UR plat 2705.png Currently 2 UR #1s

⇾ More than a third of games must have an UR 100% rarity 2705.png Currently 47.5% (19/40) games with UR 100%

⇾ Play titles of a franchise in chronological release order 274e.png MGR:R completed before MGS4

⇾ Play all titles belonging to the franchise 274e.png KZ3 unobtainable; various others

⇾ No region/platform stacks 2705.png

⇾ No shameful games indies trash that may or may not involve clicking a jar 2705.png

Milestone Goals

FH4dcap.png

Level Up Goals

A2fXFds.png

Anyway, I have an interesting confession. Many many years ago when I started playing the world's largest MMO and I was a no-namer, I pretended to be my sister just so I could get into end-game content at the highest level. It was (and probably still is) infinitely easier to get into the most hardcore teams with no experience as the fairer gender, so I took the shameful shortcut. It only took one evening for them to offer me a core position based on my performance so I made up some rubbish about having to focus on studies but my brother (i.e. myself) would stand-in for me and that I could vouch for him. I don't know how people feel about this but while it's not my proudest moment, that one lie did lead to much glory that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity for. I also didn't in any way use that lie for anything other than getting in one of the world's top guilds. Didn't take advantage of desperate lonely folks or whatever. By the way, I had her consent and she even spoke on my behalf to really sell the application lol.

Edited by Zolkovo

1. I once rented FFX-2 and got addicted to it way back in the early 2000s when renting was around, before eventually saving for my own copy. However my disc stopped working and the cutscene would jam no matter how many times I cleaned the disc, so I rented the game again and swapped the discs which worked! Got away with it too, no one ever found out?

2. When I was younger, although I mostly play RPGs like FF and KH, I had a secret love for Bratz games. I was a super completionist and a 100% of everything and all items in all 4 Bratz games on my PS2 (Diamonds, Rock Angelz, The Movie and Girls Really Rock).

3. I used to pay my brother to train my Pokemon for my back in the days of Gold and Silver version. I remember he would loyally train my red gyarados in My Silver and my Lantern against all the Tentacruel near Olivine city. 

4. I was terrified of Anima in FFX when I first played it at age 12 because of it's overdrive. I had a blood phobia at the time and had nightmares after it. I also was scared of the bgm that played when watching the Gyscal sphere... I remember feeling sick and almost vomiting when my brother had to keep losing to Seymour so that song was playing endlessly in the living room... I had many sleepless nights after that and played this bit on mute for the HD release as to not awaken my childhood trauma. 

5. I hide my secret addiction to Otome games, but my Vita is jam packed with them and I always buy a ton on the Valentines day psn sale. I also asked a (male) friend who was going on a trip to Japan to get my Amnesia LATER X CROWD. He got it but didn't know what type of game it was so he asked. I lied and said it was a shooting game of course.

6. There are a few embarrassing games I used to like and played growing up apart from the above Bratz, including all the DDR games, Harvest Moon series, Tokimeki Memorial for Girls, Sabrina, Harry Potter games on PS1.

7. When I lived in Ireland around the time Pokemon Diamond came out, GAME in the UK was doing a local Pokemon giveaway for Arceus so I pleaded my mum to ask her friend in the UK if it was ok for me to ship my game to her and have her go to GAME in the UK for me. She did, barely knowing who I was or what video games were even about, but I got my Arceus  (I was too obsessed...)

8. I tend to treat my Playstation's as though they were my kids. I remember saying this to mum, that I don't need kids in the future as I already a PS3, vita and PS4... she thought I had lost it obviously. I also used to clean my playstation and hoover it to suck up the dust.  

• Like 3

There's probably too many to name. I'll try anyway.

• I used to have very bad OCD. In Skyrim, "sequences" had to happen perfectly. That means I had to choose the "right" dialogue and perform every action in a precise way. I'd restart to the previous checkpoint if something didn't go the way I wanted, such as taking an unnecessary hit or not having an enemy die correctly.
  • While I've gotten better, I still get the urge to restart games when something goes wrong. This could be something major, like a story-altering decision in a Telltale game, or something very minor, such as forgetting to loot a corpse before it disappears or accidentally using a consumable item.
  • If I have voices turned on, I have to wait for the character to finish speaking, even if I've already read the text.
  • I have restarted a game if I miss a line of text.
  • I generally turn subtitles off, because I find myself having to read them, even if I can hear the character speaking the same words.
  • I almost always use default names for characters.
  • Whenever a game asks me to make a decision (such as where to build my house or what I want my character to look like), I rush to Google to see if I have the option of changing it at any point in the game. I usually freak out if I can't.
  • I love RPGs, but, when deciding between two games, I'll usually base my decision on which one allows me to make my own character. That's the main reason I've been avoiding Final Fantasy and The Witcher 3.
  • I spend more time on character creation than the rest of the game.
  • Despite that, I end up choosing "default" values for my entire character.
  • I also use default options for all of the game's settings, even the ones you're supposed to adjust when you play the game for the first time.
  • Whenever I reach an elevator in a game, I actually feel a sense of dread if it takes me down. If it goes up, my body relaxes.
  • Similarly, I get claustrophobic from some games. I hate when I'm forced into a tight space, and I breathe a sigh of relief when I'm back in the open.
  • I get extremely uncomfortable when my character is underwater (unless they have an unlimited amount of oxygen).
  • There are certain parts in video games that make me physically ill. The most recent example I can think of is The Collector in Darkest Dungeon. I'd seriously turn off the game if I encountered him -- not because he was difficult, but because I couldn't stand looking at him (really, his minions).
  • I have a tendency to talk to, make fun of, come up with nicknames for, and criticize the characters on the screen.
  • I also yell at the TV.
  • In RPGs where I have an army of soldiers, I'll immediately regulate a newcomer to either my bench or team. If he's on the bench, I'm never allowed to use him. (The exception to this is if I have the chance to kill him off -- which I'll do.) In a game like Fire Emblem, if someone I don't want to use joins my team in the middle of a battle, I force myself to restart the level if he gets attacked or is used in any way. The idea here is only my small team of elite soldiers are allowed to fight.
  • Generally, I prefer a small, elite team over a large army. In almost every game, I'll use the least amount of characters possible -- even if it means a greater challenge.
  • I suffer from anti-cheese guilt. If I'm really struggling with a particular section of a game or a boss fight, and I miraculously stumble upon a glitch or something that will allow me to earn an easy victory, I'll usually kill myself and try again. It has to feel right for me to succeed.
  • When I used to babysit, I'd hand the kid a controller that wasn't plugged in so they thought they were playing, but really it was me.
  • My siblings are my best friends. When we play Mario Party, I want to destroy them.
  • I bit my sister because of Mario Party.
  • My brother threw me through a door because of Mario Party.
  • If I ever end up in therapy, it will be because of Mario Party.
  • Like 4

I am a loot whore, I loot everything, I go back to loot bodies, gather herbs, open boxes, even if I just got the platinum and will never play the game again.

I also don't spend or use any consumables, again, even if I platted the game and will never play it again.

I also tend to not use skill that have recharge!! Or use items such as bombs or special ammo.

In World of Warcraft, I never used consumables, never bought gears, even though I had millions of gold.

• Like 2

On 21/05/2018 at 7:19 PM, KaKrackle said:

Sometimes, if I’m home alone, I like to sit and play in just my pants.

Sometimes when I'm home alone i play games while naked, it's really fun to play with a controller and a joystick at the same time.

Edited by Jun_Kazama316
  • Like 3

I love to play Civilization IV with a hex editor and give myself unlimited cash and start out with the Pyramids, which allows me to spend money to finish any building instantly and I essentially end up steam rolling over archers with my tanks. But I never develop nukes, cause that's just too far.

• The first video game I genuinely remember playing is... fuzzy and my mind cannot agree on what I played first. But there's 3 options; 1) my mom got me a Pac Man plug in play as a remedy gift as I broke my right leg as a 5 year old. I loved that thing to death. 2004ish I believe. came with dig dug as well. This is most likely the answer.
  • 2.) My mom also got me a GameCube, but only for 2 weeks. The one game that came with it was... Pac-Man Fever. I remember playing it once, and it was gone from my life. I didn't touch a GameCube again until 2014. 
  • 3) I had Spyro 1 with the PS1. I have 0 clue why we got rid of the PS1. It was a strange time.
  • I have a very soft spot for Pac - Man, as I have owned at least one of his games on every console I've owned since I was a kid and he's probably the first guy I played, even over Mario and Sonic.
  • The first time I actually experienced Sonic... was also on a plug-and-play version of Sonic. I cannot remember if it was Sonic 1 or Sonic 3.
  • I prefer Super Mario 64 DS over the original N64 edition.
  • The first fighting game I actually ever played was not Street Fighter, not Mortal Kombat... but the original Samuari Shodown. In fact, I probably played Marvel vs Capcom and SNK fighting games before I even touched a Street Fighter game. Speaking of Mortal Kombat....
  • Until 2011, I had always thought there had only been 1 Mortal Kombat game:: the original one. Not to mention.. I didn't even know there was blood. You see, I played the SNES version... Didn't know about 2 - 8 until MK9 came out.
  • I stole my step-cousin's gameboy and that gameboy became my 2nd gameboy. came with the shrek the third game. To this day, I have 0 clue how I got away with it.
  • I'm not going to touch Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime until I get a girlfriend. 
  • The only reason I truly passed 8th grade US history is because of Assassin's Creed III. Our teacher was a first year teacher and it showed... She wasn't a very good teacher. Thankfully, it had a very huge focus on the American Revolution, and AC3 got me.
  • Coincidentally, Assassin's Creed III is my favorite AC game. 
  • For a while I pretended to hate on games I never played. This includes Ocarina of Time and Shovel Knight. I was a dumb 9th grader.
  • I only play Fortnite with my friends, because I absolutely fucking hate that game, and to an extension, most battle royale games. H1Z1 might be an exception..
  • I am very afraid that when I get more and more into adulthood I'll lose my passion for gaming.
Edited by WorldsBestSpy

On ‎21‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 6:14 PM, phantomfear9494 said:

I play and enjoy A LOT of series from A LOT of genres, but I'mm 23, I'm not going to pretend I was brought up on PS1 games

That's my only gripe with your post, I'm 25 and I grew up with PSOne games... why shouldn't that be possible?

Anyway, I'm a filthy human being, so I have a lot of confessions to make. I will edit this post when I can think of more stories worth telling. I'm at work at the moment so I can't write down everything.

I always cheated in splitscreen. Back on my Xbox 360 my best friend and I played a lot of Call of Duty: MW2 local multiplayer. Always Rust, always deathmatch. He had not really played videogames ever at that point so naturally I did the only thing a good friend would do in such a situation and roasted him. Big time.

Honestly that alone should be a confession. He didn't know how to reload weapons and I wouldn't tell him, I'd just fuck around with him and then knife him, laughing like a maniac. When he finally learned how to press buttons on a gamepad I set challenges I know he could not win. Like only using melee attacks while he could use whatever he wanted. I am laughing right now at how much of a dick I was :lol:.

But to finally get back to the point... He always was such a straight up honest guy, you wouldn't believe. I told him 'in gaming circles' nobody looks at the other screen half. That's not cool. You can lose all you want, no biggie. But you never look at your opponent's screen.

Yeah, I did. All the time.

Years later we talked about it and I told him, he said: ''Of course I always looked too. I just didn't knew what to do with the information ?''

To be continued...

J

Edited by Stardew Shelly
  • Like 1