Do you still continue trophy hunting despite having unobtainable trophies on your list?

ButtingHam

Do you game for trophies, or do you game because you enjoy the games and trophies are just a great added bonus?

When you shape your gaming style around just getting 100%, you lock yourself out of experiencing 100's of amazing games. Resistance 2, easily one of the best games on PS3, are you just going to ignore it forever because there are a few unobtainable trophies? 

I think a more healthy goal to aim for is an A rank in every game, who cares about 100%. 

The only impressive trophies are ones that are genuinely difficult to get, ultra rares, if youve got a 100% profile but no ultra rare trophies, are you really even challenging yourself? Anyone can make a new profile and buy all the easy plat games and never play anything with true difficulty

Take the risk at going for the ultra rares if you really want to impress someone, and play the games that are going to be fun, get as many trophies as you can and move on to the next game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DEADLOCKED11 said:

The only impressive trophies are ones that are genuinely difficult to get, ultra rares, if youve got a 100% profile but no ultra rare trophies, are you really even challenging yourself? Anyone can make a new profile and buy all the easy plat games and never play anything with true difficulty

...Says the guy with an impressive amount of 27 ultra rare trophies and not that much A ranks overall. Why do you guys with low completion rate or non-competitive accounts give hate about the idea of 100%ing games? When this talk about completion rate shows up its the same old song and dance.

Before anyone says: I have 119 UR, thats  only a few compared to many skilled and dedicated trophy hunters I know and talk to.

And why do you say that only UR trophies are impressive? Ultra rares are tied more to game owners and obscurity or lack of guides than difficulty in most cases. Having fun IS impressive! And not beeing the owner of all truth regarding trophy hunting is ultra rare.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 6:57 PM, GravityQueeen said:

...Says the guy with an impressive amount of 27 ultra rare trophies and not that much A ranks overall. Why do you guys with low completion rate or non-competitive accounts give hate about the idea of 100%ing games? When this talk about completion rate shows up its the same old song and dance.

And why do you say that only UR trophies are impressive? Ultra rares are tied more to game owners and obscurity or lack of guides than difficulty in most cases. Having fun IS impressive! And not beeing the owner of all truth regarding trophy hunting is ultra rare.

I never said that my profile was impressive, but because of that I am not allowed to comment? Like I suggested in my post, I play the games I find fun and plan to eventually get an A rank. I dont buy lesser known games just for the trophies and I never said 100%ing games was necessarily a bad thing. I simply stated aiming for A ranks is a healthier goal. You dont HAVE to do any of this, you're a free person.

Getting platinums in 40 minute long games just for finishing the story isnt impressive, and even if that is an ultra rare platinum because there are only 500 people who have opened the game also doesent make it impressive. You can have fun in the game and thats great I've had fun in easy games too, but if you are playing the game to impress other people, it isn't as impressive as you may think.

I was saying the impressive trophies are the difficult ones to get, which are usually ultra rares, I'm sure there are impressive VR or R trophies but do we need to get that detailed? Saying UR is easier than going through every trophy and ranking which are "impressive". The point of it all was if youre playing for the trophies to impress people, get impressive trophies. If youre playing for 100%'s then do whatever you want, but youre missing out on hundreds of great games. I personally play for fun, part of that fun is getting difficult trophies, but the majority of the fun is the game itself. Games and trophies, not just trophies

• Like 1

i'm careful on what i begin that i know i can complete though i have made some mistakes when it came to the online (either they closed down or i don't have enough ps3's)

i'm pretty happy with my 91% completion rate that is pretty good by my standards (was my lifetime goal of 90, before that it was 88%).

I went for platinums here and there back when I got my ps3 but didn't really start hunting until ps4 days so I have a stupid amount of unobtainable plats and server closed sports games. I'm pretty happy with just keeping my completion sitting around 50% and maybe getting closer to 60 as long as I'm enjoying what I'm playing and I sure am in the golden age of PS4!

My account is strange in that sense, I'm sure I have unobtainables in my profile... then there's the other games I just don't have the patience to, or am just to lazy to, 100% in general.  And yet, games continue to be added to my list with my completion rate sitting at around 41%, not even half done and yeah, that's not going to change anytime soon.

I think that'll answer the question on this topic in general.

I have quite a few games where the 100% is unattainable, but I honestly don't give 2 shits lol. I started this account back in 2006 and got my first trophy in 2008 when super stardust dropped. Back then I wasn't really a big hunter, not like I am today. I didn't really get into hunting until I was taken out of work permanently in 2011 due to a back injury. Since then I have continued playing games I knew I would never get the 100% on. I care more about getting those ultra rares more than anything really. Honestly my opinion of striving for 100% is extremely overrated. You miss out on so many good games that way. You either won't touch a campaign bc the online is down or you spent so much time getting that 100% in one you miss out completely on another. I have extreme OCD myself and I get annoyed with my luck on a few games but I usually get over it quickly. The one game recently that really pissed me off was DCUO on ps3. I started that 3 weeks before shutdown and would have had 100% in time but for 3 days my stats weren't tracking for the duo's or lair battles, if they had been I would have made it. Since I didn't, I took a few days break to cool down from being pissed and finished the EU and US ps4 100%s. My advice is just play and try to enjoy what you are playing. I spend so much time playing these annoying ass easy games that eventually they burn me out and I need to play something that actually requires some skill. Trophies in a way have destroyed what gaming used to be. Granted they also made gaming better, but that's based on what kind of gamer you are really.  Before trophies we only bought games we were actually interested in and played the game until we needed something new to play. After trophies we now damn near kill ourselves and melt our brains going for 100% completion. We buy games based on their trophies just to have a higher trophy count, killing what brains we have left by playing these dumb fucking games lol. Believe me I'm not knocking those that do though, cuz I would be a hypocrite if I was... I find myself hitting zombie mode soooo many times due to the fact I'm playing a retarded ass game lol. Anyhow I leave you all with this you want a perfect profile that's fine, but try and create a dummy acct and play games on there to test for bugs if you must or just enjoy a game on there without giving a fuck on the 100%. You might find it will help you to not care so much about 100%.

Edited by PViddy
  • Like 1

I try to keep my profile 100% (as in playing games that are still possible to get all trophies). That's why I always go for online trophies first! But if I do have a game with unobtainable trophies for whatever reasons (sudden server shutdowns, DLC delistings), which WILL happen sooner or later, then it's no big deal.

I have spent way to much time on this profile and have many fond memories to give it all up just too see a "100%" number. Actually, I'd be really grateful if it happens, so I can be free from the pitfalls @DrBloodmoney has mentioned. I will then just keep a 95+% profile. :)

Let's talk about super hard trophies tho. Now THAT is what's worth to brag about than a measly 100% profile! :P

Or if you want to go really crazy, platinum Star Ocean 4.... 4 times! :o

Edited by LittleBlueMacaw

I'm going to continue on even though I'll never be able to have 100% due to unattainable trophies.

Before about a year ago, I never cared much for trophies... just wanted to play the games and enjoy the story... but after getting a few 100% and Plats in my profile, I decided to go back and get as close as possible to 100% in all my games.

So for all those games in my backlog which I won't be able to get 100%, I'll at least get them as close as possible to 100%... and the more games you play, the less impact the unnobtained trophies have on your overall completion percentage.

It really is subjective being a trophy hunter. I always feel like I'm getting my money's worth if I go for the platinum or 100% completion (if not plat). If I absolutely adore a game, then I will keep playing it after the platinum. 

Even the grindy trophies can be adventures in themselves. A good example is my Little Big Planet 2 platinum.

When I would leave for work in the morning, I used the fan trick to get the x hours of activity in creator mode trophy. 

I didn't know I would ever be able to rig up such a mechanism by taping a pen to the back of my small rotating fan and have it hit the square button to open and close the pop it menu, but I did it. 

Trophies can make you go through interesting routes to earn them. 

Also it can be quite fun finding a boosting team for a certain game online IF you are lucky enough to find a dedicated team for MP trophies. 

For Crysis 2 my boosting team was solid and I had a fun time with them. Yeah these trophies are tedious, but they were still pretty fun to coordinate and plan with other people.

Kinda shows how the most complex of problems can be solved by putting your heads together, am I right? lol

But yeah it's all a matter of perspective with trophy hunting. If one doesn't enjoy the trophies for a certain game or the game itself, then you don't have to go for them or play the game anymore. 

It truly is that simple in life. 

Yes, I'll still keep playing despite the unobtainables. I wouldn't delete my profile just to start a new one by playing games to achieve a "perfect" rate, either. I'll achieve what I can. Trophies, regardless of their status, won't define the rest of my life and they sure as hell won't matter when I'm dead so I'm not going to obsess over them.

I'm not someone who particularly cares about having an 100% trophy profile, or getting the platinum trophy for every game I play, but the times I do care about getting the platinum trophy is when I get bothered by unobtainable trophies.

The only time that bothers me, though, is if I'm playing a game where servers are still online, but what makes them unobtainable for me is how a trophy glitches on me. This happened to me on 3 different instances:

1. Midnight Club: Los Angeles (created a new save file and that somehow fixed it)

2. TEKKEN 6 (and I suck at fighting games lmao)
3. The CREW (an achievement in-game bugged that prevented the trophy from unlocking. In this case, it was getting platinum rank in ALL story events...)

Usually it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but I get over it over time.

I have unobtainable trophies despite having an almost-completionist account, and it pissed me off at first but I got over it and still hunt on the same account, and I haven't hidden the game either.

I still hope that some day they will make good on their word but I highly doubt it at this point.

I feel like maybe every completionist trophy hunter should have at least 1 unobtainable. Unless you're the type to just make a new account I reckon it probably helps keep the obsession side of things in check knowing you can't actually get a true 100% account regardless. Next time you see a mindless 100 hour grind for just 1 trophy you'd think "well sure it'd increase my completion by maybe 0.01% but... I will still be missing those unobtainables anyway" and then you'd move on to another game and hopefully enjoy hunting other trophies instead. More likely to let the pointless shit slide because you're not forced to maintain a 100%, you won't see "Unearned trophies: 1" when it's some huge mindless grind thinking you HAVE to do it for the sake of maintaining. Heck, maybe you'd be more willing to take risks and try games you'd avoid because you're afraid of losing 100%.

Just a thought.