What Does Everyone Here Think About Used Games ?

xVolloxx

What Does Everyone Here Think About Used Games ?   

143 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Opinion About Used Games ?

• Block Used Games
    • Don't Block Used Games
    • Make Everything Digital
    • Other
  2. 2. What Do You Prefer ?

• 3 years later...

I'm a real cheapskate so I always hunt around sites like Ebay for cheap games and always have an eye out for the big sales on PSN and free Plus games. I disagree with blocking them as the industry of used games is huge, and new games can be pretty expensive for some. Also, I don't know how they would go about blocking used games. 

I've gotten a good number of games either second hand or on sale on PSN for less than €20. I rarely buy new games and I'd only buy new if there was a really good pre-order bonus, DLC code or a physical item (e.g. I got a nice tote bag and a phone strap with one of the Harvest Moon games and Yuna's summoner garb for Lightning in LR when I bought FFX/X-2 HD....). 

In terms of physical vs digital, I have more physical games than digital games since they are cheaper and some games are only available physical.  I prefer physical anyway as I sell them off when I'm done with them, I swap them with friends or if it's a series I love like FF or Tales, I keep them as memorabilia. 

I don't really like Gamestop for three reasons: The price of their used games is practically almost the same as the new game, hence defeating the purpose, secondly they give you a minuscule amount when you trade something in only to sell it for three times the price, thirdly is that new games are not plastic wrapped which really irks me.  

• Like 3

Hoy, having used games around makes for a higher availability. Having physical copies around means you can toss them across the street or do whatever the heck you want with them. Physical games mean they aren't bound to an account which the distributor makes it perfectly clear that "you don't own the games, you are merely borrowing the licenses to play them." If you're gonna spend money, you might as well have something to show for it.

If the used game is clearly cheaper and is in the same condition as a new copy, more power to us gamers (:

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 1

I used to by some of my PS3 games used but so far on PS4 all of my games  have been new( Even though I haven't been too happy receiving broken game boxes occasionally)
Only time I buy used games anymore is if a new copy of a game is too expensive which is mostly Nintendo Games not spending $300 for a new copy of a game.
As far as PS3 goes think it is about 50/50 for new and used can't say I remember anymore.

I rather wait for them to go on sales to be honest. Why would pay such as $59.99 on ps store/ or disc copy and then a few weeks later it would go for $20-30% off? Then months later $50-70% off? This is why people get rip off. You buy now and regret later. If you have money go for it. I'm just saying you have to be smart to be a good buyers in general. I personally wait until it goes on sale. 

Note: I bought heavy rain for less than 10 bucks and fuse in total..

Not to mention... if used games got blocked that would be bad news for "older" games... for most games, after just a few years new unused copies would be much harder (and likely more expensive) to find, especially for games with a low print run. Yeah, sure, most games exist digitally today and can be gotten there, but a lot of people still prefer physical... and depending on the game, it could get more expensive than it would be worth hunting down that elusive NEW UNOPENED MINT IN BOX copy that would probably be more intended for collectors than actual players at that point. It's also nice to be able to borrow and trade games with friends. But screw experiencing the games released before you got the console, right? Who cares about the games of the past, gotta focus on just the newest stuff! Just imagine years and years after the console's release long after the last released game, how many new copies of... anything (aside from shovelware no one bought) would even exist anymore?

I usually buy new games new, but if they're already been out for a year or two I might go for an used version if that's cheaper.

Edited by Zanreo

The majority of my games I buy are used. I rarely buy new games when they are released and either I wait for the new copy to go on sale or buy a used one if I think it's in good condition. I only buy digital games if they don't have a physical copy. I prefer physical because I like knowing that I own the game in case it gets pulled from the store. 

I like my games cheap and complete.  So games that punish reusers (online passes, one time downloads etc) I avoid, but either way, I will try to get the cheapest.  For a while, Black Friday was the only time I bought new games.  I much prefer physical games (you can recoup value by selling/trading) and until recently never even thought about digital.  However, I move around so much and I'm in places that have little/no gaming market, that digital is the only way for me.  And even then, I only get things on sale, and usually at high discounts.

New or used, I don't care which I buy though I'm completely against digital only. After visiting some hardcore gaming stores in other countries, I don't see a digital only future. Currently the choice of having both physical and digital suits everyone.

• Like 1

I pretty much have to buy used games, with my flat to pay for and bills it's hard to drop around £40 - £50 on a brand new game. I'll make an exception sometimes if I really want something, for example I started saving to buy the Phantom Pain just after release day. Most of the time though I'll wait a few months and pick it up somewhere for half the price, maybe even less. Of course that means most of my games are physical too unless I find something I like during a sale on PSN. 

• Like 1

Used games has good or bad side. I bought tons of games and it was almost 70% from original price. Most game I purchased were like new and good condition. Unlikely not buying on scratches on dent/ding/Crack used games. Damage games is my highly no no.

Edited by Silent

• 6 years later...

I like to buy and sell games on ebay. I have only played one online PC game for the last 7-8 years and that's why I have so many Playstation games that I still want to play. But if they are not included in the Premium subscription, then I buy them second-hand for 15€ from ebay. Unless there's a good offer.

Not only is it more ecological, but often the digital versions of old games in the PSN Store still cost 30-40€ 

Used games should not be blocked. Sometimes you have no other option because the game is out of print... and it happens to be one that slipped by your radar. And now that you know of it, it turns out to be one you may like. So now you look for it used.

Physical and digital should continue to coexist. Seeing a game get delisted is not good, and it's even worse when the game has no physical version. If only there'd be an end to delisting. Game companies using a licensed IP should try to do a non-expiring deal for the digital version, where the licensor would get a royalty on every PSN sale of the game.

Who would anyone ever think to block used games?? You can usually get them cheap, which is good for people on a budget. It also makes for a more sustainable product...

Most of my physical copies are used, because I don't see the point in buying older games new.