Guide of the Year Awards 2018 - Nominations Thread

Platisfaction

57 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

Alrighty, I don't know if I have to link the other two I nominated, but I'll do it to be safe and to keep them together.

Guide of the Year 

Final Fantasy IX has so much stuff in it.  This guide shows where everything is and is a fantastic checklist.  The fact that it's in order goes a long way too.  

The videos are a nice touch.  Showing all the locations of the new datalogs and two ways to kill the superboss Omega.

Exceptional Use of Original Content:  https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7499-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-trophy-guide

There use of pictures showing what the special Digivolutions came from is very useful.  And having the parameters right there is helpful so you can start working on the stats before you get there.  And the medal guide they linked was extremely helpful in tracking down those last few medals I needed.

Exceptional Niche Game Guide:  https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7127-secret-of-mana-trophy-guide

I have this open while I'm playing.  Always double checking the monster list to make sure I get them all before I move on.  And every boss section talks about how to go from the last trophy to the current one and if you have to stop and farm an item for another trophy.  And I'm not sure if they counts because Square is a AAA company so just to be safe:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6120-tales-of-innocence-r-faq

This guide makes me feel like I can play this game with no problem and I don't read a lick of Japanese.  Having the translations of all the major functions is great.

Oh, you must have posted while I was in the middle of tallying. Thans for updating your votes, I'll add them tomorrow!

• Like 1

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR

Monster Hunter: World Trophy Guide

This guide just has everything I needed.

After "finishing" the game I really wanted to test my endurance by going for the trophies and the in-depth explanations on how to get them really helped me in my quest.

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF FORMATTING

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Trophy Guide

I love the Valkyria Chronicles games, but the trophies can be a real pain in the rear at times.

The way this guide is set up makes it really easy to figure out what to do at what times.

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF ORIGINAL CONTENT

Burly Men At Sea Trophy Guide

What can I say that hasn't been said before... the chart makes the game very passable without the risk of missing out on certain trophies.

Combined with the home-made video, which is basically a cheat sheet, there's no way you can miss anything!

EXCEPTIONAL NICHE GAME GUIDE

Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match Trophy Guide

Loved the show and I just had to see what the game was about. After that, this guide helped me make the most out of the experience.

Edited by Gerikst00f
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

I haven't use any guides that were published this year, aside from one so I can't nominate this year.  Will vote when they come up though!

I don't think we're voting, from what I understand Sly and the mods pick the winners from the top 10 nominations. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong) You also don't need to have used the guide to nominate it!

29 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

I don't think we're voting, from what I understand Sly and the mods pick the winners from the top 10 nominations. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong) You also don't need to have used the guide to nominate it!

We pick the final nominations, and after that the mods will decide the top 3

For guide of the year, after going through several (and I mean several GREAT guides), I have to give props to where props is due. The Stardew Valley guide is freaking insane. I love the formatting of it, which makes it easy to read/understand and love how videos and screenshots were incorporated into the guide. Wow, exceptional job! I can tell LOTS of time and effort were put into the guide. The choice definitely wasn't easy as I sat there and waffled as I was going through guides, but that one I think stood out just a little more than the rest.

13 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

You could always refuse/donate the prize. I would be really sad if people removed their guides from the pool because that means a really amazing guide might not get the recognition it deserves because the owner decided to exclude themselves. This isn't a competition, but rather a celebration to take the time out to recognize some of the guide writers on this site. 

this always bums me out as my guides are for smaller games that dont get much of a look.

I have only used 1 (Vampyr) guide this year so I would rather not vote as I do not feel it would be fair.

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

I nominate :

Monster Hunter World : For Guide of the Year

The overall amount of information is amazing here. There's great use of general tips for weapon strategy, item purposes, gameplay how-tos, boss strategies, etc, and its all very helpful.  The formatting and spreadsheets showing exactly what's needed is very presentable and useful. The pictures are definitely a plus, and nicely added in where useful. Overall, this is the perfect general strategy guide AND trophy guide all in one.

Alien: Isolation : For Exceptional Walkthrough

I loved this guide, because I could literally just follow the videos without fear of having do ANY research on my own. It was also nice because I normally try to figure out the general order trophies are first available to unlock, or worry about backtracking for collectibles, or needing a second playthrough, and that was done for me. This was masterfully written in a way i could enjoy without going back to a guide and wondering, did I miss this, did that matter?

Minecraft DLC 10 : For DLC Guide

Another year, another annoying Minecraft update. This guide was great since it had good pictures, good descriptions, and was a perfect guide for a specific set of trophies.

God of War : Exceptional Use of Formatting

This guide is definitely visually pleasing and has just the right amount of text before a graphic, good use of colors and hidden spoilers, making it nice to use.  It's easy to relate to what the text is referring to in a minimal time the way this is written out, and that's important because otherwise I end up researching or spending longer myself.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 3

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR

GIRLS und PANZER: Dream Tank Match Trophy Guide 

Very clear cut and detailed. Niche area game which I did not expect anyone to write a guide for, much less one which is really detailed.

If I could vote more than once I will want to vote the MHW guide as well :D

EXCEPTIONAL WALKTHROUGH GUIDE

英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III - Overall Walkthrough

Sen no kiseki (trails of cold steel) game series is a pain to plat if you just do everything without a guide. There are too many of those you must get all of these and you must do all of these trophies in all the games. This guide handhold you to platinum as long as you follow it step by step. 

EXCEPTIONAL GAMEPLAY GUIDE

Final Fantasy IX - Missable Trophies/Collectables Guide

Very detailed and informative, important to know where all the missable stuff are to prevent a second run.

Though it is an old game, it does not make things easier without a good guide like this.

EXCEPTIONAL DLC GUIDE

Final Fantasy XV - Episode Ignis DLC Trophy Guide 

Very detailed as well, the guide is really useful in helping me to get 100% for ffxv; ignis was my last dlc and it was the most massive pain in the butt if we do not take the grind for comrades into account.

英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III Trophy Guide

Same explanation as the exceptional walkthrough; just to add on here that it is a niche area game. Without the guide, platinum is going to be a massive pain due to the lack of hints at times about certain things in game.

Clear cut guide to follow to the end for the platinum thanks to the formatting. Some guides can be painful to look through or dig around for info - no need for that for this guide. (Will be nice if I can vote FFIX here as well, but meh)

EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY UPKEEP

Important updates were made, in particular for the stupid bug.

Monster Hunter World Trophy Guide

Really solid guide for a relatively new game (at the time the guide was made). Even though no trophies are missable, the information makes a difference between spending 300+ hours for plat (which I did) or 600+ hours. 

I am biased towards jrpgs :P

Edited by Cactuarism
because i am asked to edit :D
  • Like 1

Alright, here goes:

Exceptional Gameplay GuideKeep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Module Tips & Tricks by @Beyondthegrave07 and @Starrk_01

I don't know anything about the game but man it looks hard and by reading the guide it seems already simpler. A lot of explanations and strategies with pictures to play the game.

- Exceptional Niche Game Guide: Secret of Mana Trophy Guide by @Champ147 and @ddracarys

In my opinion this guide is so detailed that it could (should?) almost be a walkthrough guide! Each trophy explains the way to reach the destination and give strategies to defeat the various bosses. Plus the collectibles are all listed mentioning which ones are missables and where to obtain them.

- Exceptional Use of Original Content: Flashback Trophy Guide by @SwampGas

Well, the author made 12 different maps of each level with the locations of every upgrade you can find during your first, second, and third playthroughs. They're not the most beautiful maps but at least they're clear and easy to read/understand. That would really have made my life easier when I completed the game 5 years ago :jaymon:

Trophy Guide of the year: Cosmic Star Heroine Trophy Guide by @Scarburn

This is, in my opinion, what a trophy guide should be: detailed description of the game mechanics, brief and clear description of each trophy requirements, screenshots to illustrate the trophies, and videos for the trickier/more difficult trophies.

On a general note, a lot of guides would deserve to be nominated so thanks to everyone who contributed!

• Like 2

@Platisfaction, are we allowed to nominate one guide for more than one category?

I'm seeing a couple instances where this has happened so I'm not sure.

If so, I would also like to nominate Mary Skelter Nightmares for Exceptional Use of Formatting. My main post, where I nominated it for GotY, gives an explanation on why the formatting is great.

Ok here goes:

Guide of of the year: Detroit become human: this game would have been somewhat of a nightmare to platinum without a step by step guide to all the trophies and a roadmap from start to finish, so this guide made the game so much easier and less time consuming.

DLC: gta v the doomsday heist: so much info and plenty of videos that will make this DLC much more doable if I ever go back to it.

Walkthrough: Claire trophy walkthrough: like many others have said the attention to detail and images make an otherwise strange and confusing game much more simple and I will definitely be using this guide in the near future.

Niche guide: Kona: the game can be quite challenging to figure out and navigate but the guide is very helpful with obtaining the platinum in one play through and makes the game more enjoyable not having to worry about missing anything.

23 hours ago, darkamdusias said:

Guide of the Year: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Trophy Guide. This is easily one of the best trophy guides I've ever seen. It's a chock full of maps, information, and helpful images. Ni no Kuni II has a ton of stuff going on in its world, and this guide does an AMAZING job of helping new players make sense of it all. 

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide: Final Fantasy IX Missable Trophies & Collectibles Guide. Final Fantasy IX is a large game, and its trophy list filled with missable trophies and obscure collectibles. This guide does an amazing job of guiding players through this mammoth game, and does so while remaining clear and concise throughout. I just wish it it had been around when I was making my way through the game. 

Exceptional Use of Formatting: Final Fantasy IX Trophy Guide. Much like the Ni no Kuni II guide, this guide does just about everything right, and would have been my Guide of the Year nominee if the NNKII guide had not come along. The guide is beautifully organized, and easy to use - heading, bold/italic fonts, images and videos are arranged and utilized in a way that allows users to take in its massive amount of content efficiently. 

Exceptional Use of Original Content: Monster Hunter World Trophy Guide. The amount of well-placed images and maps in this guide is admirable and astounding. The supplemental material here not only helps break up the large amounts of text necessary to guide players through the game, but it's all useful, and just as importantly, looks good.  

I'd like to add to my nomination, if it isn't too late.

Exceptional Niche Game Guide: Cosmic Star Heroine Trophy Guide. This is an underrated gem of a guide for an underrated game. This guide is a chock full of useful images, videos, and descriptions, and the author's love for the game is evident throughout. Additionally, the guide is well formatted and easy to navigate, which is always a plus. 

20 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

well, this is a first. But ok, we'll respect your wish and remove those guides from the list.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt too, but could you please remove my guides + walkthroughs from the voting pool too?

The guides affected are White Album Trophy Guide + Walkthrough, and Tales of Innocence R Trophy Guide + FAQ. I have my personal reasons, but I can give you details in PMs if needed. Thank you.

16 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

I haven't use any guides that were published this year, aside from one so I can't nominate this year.  Will vote when they come up though!

15 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

15 hours ago, Wuthg21 said:

We pick the final nominations, and after that the mods will decide the top 3

Yep, the community nominates guides and the staff will decide the top 3 based on those.

11 hours ago, Void said:

this always bums me out as my guides are for smaller games that dont get much of a look.

I have only used 1 (Vampyr) guide this year so I would rather not vote as I do not feel it would be fair.

With the additional categories it's possible that your guides will be nominated.

10 hours ago, B1rvine said:

I nominate :

Monster Hunter World : For Guide of the Year

Alien: Isolation : For Exceptional Walkthrough

Minecraft DLC 10 : For DLC Guide

That's all for now. Might add some more in later. I didn't play too many games that came out in 2018 this year. 

You're required to give solid reasons as to why you nominate those guides. Also, a minimum of 4 nominations are required :ninja: .

10 hours ago, Cactuarism said:

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR

英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III - Overall Walkthrough

EXCEPTIONAL GAMEPLAY GUIDE

Final Fantasy IX - Missable Trophies/Collectables Guide

EXCEPTIONAL DLC GUIDE

Final Fantasy XV - Episode Ignis DLC Trophy Guide 

EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY UPKEEP

Monster Hunter World Trophy Guide

I am biased towards jrpgs :P

You're required to give solid reasons as to why you nominate those guides.

1 hour ago, AppleKratue said:

Sorry to be a pain in the butt too, but could you please remove my guides + walkthroughs from the voting pool too?

The guides affected are White Album Trophy Guide + Walkthrough, and Tales of Innocence R Trophy Guide + FAQ. I have my personal reasons, but I can give you details in PMs if needed. Thank you.

Sure thing, @Platisfaction will remove the guides from the first post when he updates it.

Just knowing how long it took me to put my first guide together, it's impressive how many people have multiple, high quality, guides up for nomination this year.

---

Exceptional Niche Game Guide:

Scarburn's Cosmic Star Heroine Trophy Guide.

---

Since I've been playing a lot of older games this year, I, unfortunately, haven't gotten to use many guides that are eligible this time around. However, I did finally play, and platinum Zeboyd Games' Cosmic Star Heroine with the help of Scarburn's Cosmic Star Heroine Trophy Guide. The guide is informative, formatted well, and the supplemental videos, pictures, and tables provide a lot of helpful information.

Exceptional Use of Formatting: 

ManaFear, GoldenDevilGamer, omegarevan and Undead_Wolf_N7's Monster Hunter: World Trophy Guide.

---

As I stated in my previous nomination, I haven't played many games that were released in 2018. But, as soon as flipped through this guide, knew that it would be a guide of a year contender. Not only was it incredibly detailed and informative, but it was, and still is, the best example of formatting in a guide that I've ever seen. It's able to present a very large amount of information to readers in a way that's not only easy to understand, but pleasant to look at.

Exceptional DLC Guide: 

Wdog-999's DJMax Respect - TECHNIKA 2 DLC Trophy Guide.

---

This is another game that I haven't played, but am interested in purchasing at some point in the future. All of Wdog-999's DJMax Respect DLC trophy guides have increased my desire to play, and platinum, the game myself.

Guide of the Year:

ManaFear, GoldenDevilGamer, omegarevan and Undead_Wolf_N7's Monster Hunter: World Trophy Guide.

---

I think that this is the guide of the year for all of the reasons that I mentioned previously. I was working on my first trophy guide at the time of its release, and I thought that I was doing a decent job at formatting my guide and providing helpful information to potential readers, and then this came out... Everything from its formatting to the density of the information that it provides is probably the best that I've seen since I've been using this website.

---

Also, will the winning guides in categories other than, "Guide of the Year" receive badges as well?

Edited by mr2k_pdh
Grammar, Link Removed
  • Like 3

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR

EXCEPTIONAL DLC GUIDE

Edited by JNSpradlin

Trophy Guide of the Year

Final Fantasy IX - Thorough guide explaining how to get each trophy.

Exceptional Gameplay Guide

Final Fantasy IX Missable Trophies/Collectibles Guide - This guide makes it so easy to understand every little thing that needs done to get the Platinum in this game.

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide

Final Fantasy IX Missable Trophies/Collectibles Guide - This guide makes it so easy to understand every little thing that needs done to get the Platinum in this game.

Exceptional Use of Formatting

Final Fantasy IX Missable Trophies/Collectibles Guide - Great guide that allows you to pick it up from any point regardless of where you are in the game.

Edited by Bahamut3104
  • Like 1