Opinions on "Easy" platinums.

DecSim01

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, Nighcisama said:

I have nothing against easy plats, sure they do not have the bragging rights harder or really hard plats have, but most trophy hunters have a few of each plats anyway. I don't like how some people here seem to put easy games in the same category with trophy whore games. I personally think there are 5 kinds of trophies.

Insanely hard. The 10/10 difficulty trophies. Games that you need to be born for, or you have to invest tons of hours to even have the slightest chance. These are the Super Meat Boys, the Necrodancers or games with insane stipulations like the Mein Leben in Wolfenstein.

Hard. Games that are really challenging and need a lot of dedication and practice, but any normal human being can achieve them. Games like Furi come to mind, usually 7-9 difficulty.

Normal. Difficulty 4-6, the bread and butter of a trophy hunter. Most popular games fall in this category, some are a bit more challenging, some less.

Easy. Diffculty 1-3, those are not hard by any means, anyone can complete them sooner or later. The games are solid here though, even the short ones.

Trophy whore. Now these are the ones some of you mistake for easy trophies. These are trophies in crappy "games", games like My Name Is Mayo that anyone can see at first glance were only made with the sole purpose of selling a crappy plat to people. I kinda look down on these, but not if they only make up a small fraction in someones profil. There are various reasons someone could have ended up playing a few of these.

Whether I consider a profile impressive, decent or bad depends on how many of each trophies it contains. If you do not want to look into an account too deeply, then the average rarity in stats gives you a rough picture. My experience has told me that anyone who is above 50% rarity usually has his profile stuffed out with trophy whore games quite a bit, but still has many impressive games or decent games. Anyone over 60% I see usually is a full blooded trophy whore though, with a profile chock full of 2 hours or less plats and rather few normal games in comparison. No one should have any trouble staying between 40% and 50%. I am very impressed with anyone approaching 100 platinums who still is below 40%. I am currently below 40%, but I am nowhere near 100 platinums and won't be for a long time, especially not with the completionist ambition slowing be down even further.

I like the breakdown you gave

As easy plats start to pile up (and they are), the question of whether or not someone has an impressive trophy collection becomes more complex. Now it requires looking through their collection and judging their skills and accomplishments through percentages. 

All that can be done now is looking at the average completion rate to see if the trophy was easy or challenging. My greatest platinum is for Twisted Metal with less than 1% completion rate. 

I'm well aware no one cares to look through a collection but I'm still picky about what shows up on my trophy list. Most people only care about quantity - the number next to platinum trophy icon. 

14 minutes ago, Haysi_Fantaysee said:

Putting on my presumptuous hat for a moment, the majority of people do not care about anyone else's trophies, they are far too busy being concerned that other people are concerned about their trophies, which of course they are not.

Spot on.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, DecSim01 said:

I recently just got done with two "easy" platinum's (one took literally seconds and the other took around an hour) and I was wondering what other people thought of "easy" plats? Do you think its cheating or do you think they're good for building up your trophy list. Interested to hear what other people think.

I don't see how it could be cheating if you are just playing the game earning the trophies and ANYONE ELSE can play too. I think it's kinda corny though if people have a full list of JUST 1 hour platinum trophies. You need a good mix of hard games too for your profile to at least be somewhat respectable. But no. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. 

The only thing I'm against is jailbreaking your console to obtain trophies. I don't think easy platinums or lists from different regions is cheating.

I have a few easy platinums, though I don't make a habit out of purchasing trash games for a quick platinum but it's honestly whatever makes the user happy, as long as their earning them fairly.

I dont mind easy games. What annoys me is said easy games often have multiple stacks for the sake of it. I believe they have made the leaderboard pointless and are essentially a shortcut to ranking up. I miss the days where Telltale games where considered cheap trophies. Now we have 20 second plats..... and they arnt even good games

• Like 4

On 3/1/2019 at 2:38 AM, Gibbo_0113 said:

I dont mind easy games. What annoys me is said easy games often have multiple stacks for the sake of it. I believe they have made the leaderboard pointless and are essentially a shortcut to ranking up. I miss the days where Telltale games where considered cheap trophies. Now we have 20 second plats..... and they arnt even good games

True. Telltale games are not challenging at all. But they still take about 12 hours to earn the platinum. Not like a 20 second game. Horrible

• Like 1

It's definitely not cheating. If that's your thing and you just want the platinum then go for it. Personally, I guess I'm more of a completionist than anything. I still play games even if they don't have a platinum. But it has to be a decent game for me to give my time too rather than clicking a button over and over just to earn a platinum. I don't rate a game's value on how easy the platinum is but rather how much I enjoy playing it. At the end of the day it's all about what YOU enjoy and what you want out of your profile.

They're certainly not "cheating" since everyone has the same access to them. I enjoy them. If I'm completely honest, I like how wacky and weird some of the trophy whore games are. I enjoyed My Name Is Mayo for the humor in addition to the easy trophies. I'm a relatively new trophy hunter (started out seriously about a year ago) and it was a fun way to "catch up." Now that I've broken 100 platinums, I'm also getting harder platinums. But even still, the easy ones are a nice way to mix things up. For example, I got Far Cry New Dawn last night (not that it's hard) and decided to speed through Awesome Pea afterwards.

At the end of the day, play the games you wanna play. You enjoy easy games for the trophies? Great. You want to avoid easy games because you only want harder games on your account? Great. Just enjoy the ride, whatever you do. 

The people that buy these quick plats like Slyde or Jack N Jill also seem to be the most likely to have an unhealthy relationship with gaming and appear to not enjoy what they're doing (judging by the forums).

I'm one of those weirdos that looks at a lot of random profiles because I love looking for patterns in statistics, and I'd rather see a profile with 20% completion rate and 10 ultra rare plats than a profile where someone is clearly addicted to paying to make a number increase.

• Like 4

There's nothing worse than giveaway plats that don't even require you to complete the game. I don't proclaim to be a pro gamer or anything but I would hate to have a flood of easy games filling my profile, as a lot of people have said a good mix of the easy and hard/time consuming is a good way to do it. But yeah I've only ever bought two games with trophies in mind primarily, those are Midnight Deluxe and Coffin Dodgers, which I both enjoyed for what they were looking past the trophies.

But yeah I continued playing Midnight Deluxe past the plat till I finished all the levels cause I'll be damned if I play half of a platformer through and jump ship when a cheap platinum pops, I just can't understand that part these easy games.

I know this is late to the party but the topic just came up and I wanted to chime in.

The only "easy" plats I have have been free, for example Burly Men At Sea (PS+) or SkyScrappers (PSNow - admittedly this game is great fun).

That said, a huge amount of my Platinums are Lego games and Telltale games, but since Lego Star Wars 1 on PS2 and The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us on 360, I have LOVED these games, so while they are easy, they are not at all easy for the sake of easy plats but I love them and they happen to be easy.

I have way too many games to play nevermind plat to focus on platting every single game i get, so the easier (or my personal term, lazier or more chilled out) games will be played amongst other games, like I'm currently directly going for GTAV and sort of going for the Overwatch plat (but that one is just alongside my enjoyment of the game)

As for what other people do, I don't care. I love seeing everyone's trophy lists regardless of whether it's full of Slyde and Jack n Jill and that Prairie game, or if it has plats like Super Meat Boy or GTA4. I can't personally see what enjoyment you get spending £1 on Slyde but each to their own.

46 minutes ago, BANGURDEAD04 said:

I'll buy easy plat games if they are on sale and I need a break between bigger games that require grinding, however I do not understand how people can sit down and play VN.

I like games with good stories, sometimes those games are visual novels, where the entire focus is the story and devoid of other gameplay. Sometimes they end up being good, and other times they end up not being that great, but since I'm part way through them I go ahead and finish them. I wouldn't intentionally start a bad VN for a plat. For example, I wouldn't have started Burly Men at Sea as I had heard it was charming but it ended up being extremely underwhelming and repetitive.

Edited by Guardian_owl

30 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

I like games with good stories, sometimes those games are visual novels, where the entire focus is the story and devoid of other gameplay. Sometimes they end up being good, and other times they end up not being that great, but since I'm part way through them I go ahead and finish them. I wouldn't intentionally start a bad VN for a plat. For example, I wouldn't have started Burly Men at Sea as I had heard it was charming but it ended up being extremely underwhelming and repetitive.

Arnt VN's just pretty much reading through text? I never played one but thats what I was told before they practically are.

Easy games are fun too. Always good to play one after playing something long or something tedious and annoying.

I'll use my own case as an example. I literally spent a month or two playing through Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 for the PS4 and by the end of it I played a lot of shorter easier games to chill out to and get back into the groove really. That happened for a while and now I'm playing the Mass Effect trilogy. I'll no doubt play some easier games when I'm done with this too.

It's a nice balance.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, thekingsman123 said:

I like to alternate between a difficult and easy platinum whenever possible.

I got the platinum for DOS2:DE and then followed it up with some visual novel plat on vita.  

I took the same approach. A few easy plats sandwiched by normal ones. 

Back to the topic, I personally couldn't care less about how others got their trophies, or how others evaluate my profiles. I hunt platinum trophies as it is fun to me so I'd like to do what I want on that front.

1 hour ago, BANGURDEAD04 said:

Arnt VN's just pretty much reading through text? I never played one but thats what I was told before they practically are.

Pure VNs yes, and often you have choices to make which change the flow of the story. Others like the Zero Escape and Danganronpa series are VN hybrids, where there is a focus on story and conversation with characters, but they are periodically broken up with gameplay segments. In Zero Escape's case it is escape room puzzles and Danganronpa it is murder investigation and trials.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

Pure VNs yes, and often you have choices to make which change the flow of the story. Others like the Zero Escape and Danganronpa series are VN hybrids, where there is a focus on story and conversation with characters, but they are periodically broken up with gameplay segments. In Zero Escape's case it is escape room puzzles and Danganronpa it is murder investigation and trials.

Ah. So kinda like those old choose your own ending type books. Thanks for the explanation!

I'm not really against easy Platinums as long as the game is good like Spider-Man for example. I really don't like the pay for Platinum games like I am Mayo and the autopopping stacking games though. Those games exist just to pop a trophy and they have completely devalued the trophy system. Platinum trophy count and profile levels are meaningless thanks to games like that.

There really needs to be a difference between an I am Mayo plat trophy and a game that will take 100 hours plus to plat.

• Like 2