Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

6 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

based on your blabbering, I realize that critical thinking isn't one of your aptitudes, so I'm not surprised that deductive reasoning eludes you

I guess you're right. I have, indeed, not been able to deduce that there is no correlation between ease and attainment of trophies. That totally eluded me.

You'd think some sad idiot with hundreds of easy plats might be able to pick up on that correlation if it were somehow true... ?

I'm kinda proud of my "Binding of Isaac" UR Plat. I don't have that many Plats and I only like to plat games that I like. The Binding of Isaac was really hard to plat (without abusing cloud/backups) and it felt really good to achieve it. Can't wait for the release of the full collection later this year on PS5. 100%ed it alrdy on PC (638 achievments).

Plus I just can't stop loughing about people bragging with a shitton of brainless 10-minute plats. For me there is no point in wasting time (and money) on such plats. Just my opinion..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

And my point is that I think there are more of those outliers than you think - and at a certain point, those outliers begin to diminish the integrity of the statement "the overwhelming driving force are the two factors of difficulty and time needed"

I appreciate the point you are making, but I just think, in the case of difficulty, it's less of a direct correlation than you think it is.

Granted, my assumption is based on anecdotal or limited data (my own experience and profile), but unless you are willing to actually make the graph you are talking about, then so is yours.

Maybe if some crazy person actually did do such a graph, that would convince me, but given that the only info I have says otherwise, I have to assume I am correct based on the fact that the limited data I have tells me so.

Of the limited info available to me (my own profile) I can categorically state that I found the most difficulty games were not often the rarest.

In some cases though, they were the grindiest, or the longest, so I can see a much closer relationship between time and rarity than I do with difficulty and rarity. :dunno:

I'll base my assumption on anecdotal data as well since neither of us are willing to do the research.

I have 12 UR plats. 10 of them were very challenging or grindy/tedious (or both).

The experience that I had with UR plats so far is that 10 times out of 12, rarity is an accurate measure of difficulty and/or grind time. I guess we won't agree on this one though since we both had vastly different experiences; however, until I'm proven otherwise, I'm going to be in the "Rarity (usually) = difficulty/grind time" group.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

The experience that I had with UR plats so far is that 10 times out of 12, rarity is an accurate measure of difficulty and/or grind time. I guess we won't agree on this one though since we both had vastly different experiences; however, until I'm proven otherwise, I'm going to be in the "Rarity (usually) = difficulty/grind time" group.

I think my point is getting taken way out of context at this point - what I was demonstrating was that difficulty is not the only factor, or in a lot of cases, even the primary factor in determining rarity, and so I don’t use rarity as an indicator of difficulty.

I wasn’t saying it has no correlation - just that in my own experience, rarity has been a bad indicator of what to expect, difficulty-wise

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Walt the Dog said:

I like how this two and a half year old thread got necroed by someone letting a troll live in their head rent-free for two and a half years and then coming on to make a post admitting as such.

heh heh... oops...

TBH I'd forgotten how passionate some people could be on the topic.

Edited by breakingthegreen

4 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

So when are we going to get that Rarity leaderboard and the ribbon system?

I'd have posted a gif of someone laughing but that would have been spam according to rule #6 and the post would have been deleted. Here's to hoping for a rarity leaderboard though

13 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

Wow guys, five new full pages of replies to a topic I made over 2 years ago.

So when are we going to get that Rarity leaderboard and the ribbon system?

Tbh this happens because every thread that we made about the rarity leaderboard is eventually derailed an closed, so lets see how much time still have this thread...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

It's crazy to see someone with this plat at all, let alone alongside this sentiment. Good on you though, this is a real game. That top image is the platinum image for Nuclear Throne, a game for the PS4 with a platinum rarity of 0.42% on psnprofiles(dot)com. The bottom gif is from Italian Spiderman and is being used to convey the reaction I had to seeing SlimSanta say he doesn't care as much as it would seem, while having done Nuclear Throne.

Yeah to be fair Nuclear Throne is a good example. Although it's considered to be a highly coveted platinum trophy and it was something I finished for the UR cleanup event on the site, the trophies or the platinum itself wasn't a contributing factor on me wanting to play it. Nuclear Throne in particular was just something I happened to see showcased on AGDQ and was very interested in it as i'm a fan of difficult games and rogue-likes respectively. I very much enjoy challenges in games and overcoming them in video games but to me ultra rare trophies are just a number that hold no merit to me.

Edited by SlimSanta94

Not in the slightest, I care about having fun with games and getting trophies along the way, not the other way around, I'm not about to pass on a game simply because the trophies are common.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

4 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Yeah to be fair Nuclear Throne is a good example. Although it's considered to be a highly coveted platinum trophy and it was something I finished for the UR cleanup event on the site, the trophies or the platinum itself wasn't a contributing factor on me wanting to play it. Nuclear Throne in particular was just something I happened to see showcased on AGDQ and was very interested in it as i'm a fan of difficult games and rogue-likes respectively. I very much enjoy challenges in games and overcoming them in video games but to me ultra rare trophies are just a number that hold no merit to me.

I hope you'll permit me to ask for a little advice when I start going for that game if necessary lol

DUDE you're doing Taiko No Tatsujin??? God that's awesome, I'm so interested in that game but I don't have the drum for it

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I hope you'll permit me to ask for a little advice when I start going for that game if necessary lol

DUDE you're doing Taiko No Tatsujin??? God that's awesome, I'm so interested in that game but I don't have the drum for it

Of course, if you have any questions just feel free to drop me a message.

Yeah, i'm working on getting every trophy for every rhythm game. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily important themselves, but they’re the type of trophy hunting numbers that diluted the less in recent years,  the way I see it, I’m getting old, I don’t even think I can do the Street Fighter/Persona 4 Arena combo any longer, regardless if I tried long enough, that’s less gaming experiences I’ll be able to do, I’ll always have time to experience  the baby shit Ratalaika/Breakthrough/Sony at this point will make, but  I want to experience also the hard stuff in this hobby many others already felt in other infamous games, until my fingers and reflexes allow me to, Ultra Rare isn’t a perfect median for difficult experiences, having its errors, and I believe some of here mentioned  several examples of it, but it’s still the best we got.

19 minutes ago, BigBossImBeamer said:

I really don't care about rarity and that's why I voted no.

Since many here have discussed how the rarity comes about I would like to share my opinion.

I think that the rarity is made up of two factors (achievers & game owners) that are affected by: The inhibition to start a game and the inhibition to earn a specific trophy.

Things that have a direct influence on the inhibition to start a game:

• price/accessibility
  • attractiveness
  • popularity
  • caring about completion rate
  • first trophy popping
  • and more

Things that have a direct influence on the inhibition to earn a specific trophy:

• required skill
  • required effort/time
  • broken game (buggy/unobtainable trophy)
  • game is not fun
  • additional equipment
  • and more

The higher the inhibition to earn a specific trophy, the more relevant for the rarity the inhibition to start a game becomes. The lower the inhibition to earn a specific trophy, the less relevant the inhibition to start a game becomes.

The actual rarity of a game is a combination of the points mentioned above. Sometimes, however, only one point is decisive. That's why it's quite logical to me that opinions on the reason for the rarity vary so much in this thread.

But you can never tell the reason for the rarity by the rarity itself and I think that's why I don't care about it.

P.S. As much as I appreciate the intention, but I don't think a rarity leaderboard is a good idea, since it can be manipulated too easily with fake accounts.

A game with an average number of 100,000 players, would require what, 5,000 fake accounts to move it from Very Rare to Ultra Rare? Not even counting the site banning you  if you update too many profiles, or other people getting the plat in the meantime,  I won’t deny that I’d like seeing Just Cause 2’s plat become Ultra Rare, but what you described is batshit crazy, and not something a human would do.

7 hours ago, Baker said:

Well we have to just disagree here then. I do think rarity and difficulty are correlated. And your few examples of Soulslike games can’t change my mind.

It’s also not an epeen swing or an attempt to make you feel lesser. What a load of bullshit. 

What I find unique about souls games is they are all about this game rarity which is a indicator to me that even though they are hard they have a distinct following of people who are going to complete them regardless of time or skill involved in doing so.  They are considered great games and apart of the high completion percentage is that fact they are considered by most who play them to be so great.  i only played one to date and once I got into it I couldn't stop playing it.  There are always going to be a handful of games that are really difficult but just so good addictive gameplay that people won't stop playing them until they are 100% on everything.  

Also it's important to keep in mind souls game have ways to go about them to make them easier.  Dark souls 3 people can drop everything on the ground for you and power level you.  you can power level in Bloodborne.  you can have people come into your game and beat just about any boss across the entire franchise for you.  From this standpoint the games don't have to be hard at all.  They can be as easy or as hard as you like them to be.  From a trophy hunting perspective they are easy because you can always summon help and power level to overcome just about everything in these great games.  So his example of souls games is not a great example because while the core gameplay can be hard i can just ask a friend to drop everything and slay all the bosses to get the trophies so the trophies have little effort at all, if you choose that route.

Edited by steel6burgh

15 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

What I find unique about souls games is they are all about this game rarity which is a indicator to me that even though they are hard they have a distinct following of people who are going to complete them regardless of time or skill involved in doing so.  They are considered great games and apart of the high completion percentage is that fact they are considered by most who play them to be so great.  i only played one to date and once I got into it I couldn't stop playing it.  There are always going to be a handful of games that are really difficult but just so good addictive gameplay that people won't stop playing them until they are 100% on everything.  

Also it's important to keep in mind souls game have ways to go about them to make them easier.  Dark souls 3 people can drop everything on the ground for you and power level you.  you can power level in Bloodborne.  you can have people come into your game and beat just about any boss across the entire franchise for you.  From this standpoint the games don't have to be hard at all.  They can be as easy or as hard as you like them to be.  From a trophy hunting perspective they are easy because you can always summon help and power level to overcome just about everything in these great games.  So his example of souls games is not a great example because while the core gameplay can be hard i can just ask a friend to drop everything and slay all the bosses to get the trophies so the trophies have little effort at all, if you choose that route.

And people that like Souls games are people normally invested and that want a challenge, so it's very probable that they will go for the plat too (high number of platinum achievers), is not a kind of game that everyone will try (low number of players) so that's why their rarities are not as low as everyone thinks... same happen with a lot of niche games...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Well let me say I never played any Soulslike game myself because I hate them. I did try out Bloodborne when it was free on Ps Plus but within 5 minutes I deleted the game. The battle system is just way too slow for my taste. Not to mention the story is told through lore if I’m correct. Another thing I don’t like. These games just tick all the wrong boxes for me ?.

But nobody can convince me these games are hard. Sure it has a cult following, and many think these games are great so they stick with it. But from a trophy hunting perspective, these games are not difficult, especially with the mentioned coop exploits. 

I mean comparing these Soulslike games, which maybe have a rarity that’s too high for its difficulty because of its popularity, to two story driven games that also been on Ps Plus and therefore had their rarities drastically reduced was just a ridiculous attempt to say rarity does not equal difficulty. Name me any truly difficult game that’s not UR. 

Sorry @DrBloodmoney. No hard feelings I hope. I agreed with you many times, just not on this ?.

Maybe I just have a different opinion of what difficult games are. It’s all objective and a matter of opinion ofcourse. And I respect everyone’s opinion, also if it’s different from my own.

Now you mentioned really difficult games with addictive gameplay that people won’t stop playing until 100%. Let me recommend Trials Fusion. Because it’s exactly that type of game. Now complete that and then compare it to Dark Souls and you will understand what I’m trying to say.

Also @steel6burgh, even though I quoted you, this isn’t specifically aimed at you. It’s a general post where I happened to quote you ?.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1