Who was your favorite boss fight?

Guardian Ape for sure. One of my all-time favorite boss fights.

Spoiler

The second phase totally caught me off guard and makes the fight forever memorable.

I love the initial challenge of this boss and it took me a while to get through. Afterwards, I looked at some strategies online and gained a whole new appreciation for all the mechanics, which make the fight a lot easier, the developers put into the fight.

I love this game so much holy fuck, thought I was garbage for ages but Genichiro made me play properly and well and I've really got it now, Guardian Ape was sick but I think my favourite so far was Owl 1.0, I'm yet to try Sword Saint Isshin or Owl 2.0 yet so I'll probably change for that. Corrupted Monk and Guardian Ape made me feel like a god, beat both versions of Corrupted Monk 1st try and Ape 2nd try, although owl probably took 7 tries or something

On 4/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, iGGTheEnd said:

Personally my 2 favorites were Guardian ape and Hatred demon,  both of them were amazing and had my heart racing,  they both also felt the closest to Bloodborne bosses.   I hope the DLC gets more crazy bosses like this instead of more human bosses if we do get a DLC that is.

i agree same here they were the funniest ones.

My favorite boss fight is the guardian ape. The "twist" after you kill him was awesome and the phases differed a lot.

It would be Isshin, the Sword Saint, if they hadn't decided to put this pointless, boring and time-consuming garbage battle with Genishiro in front of it. The same goes for the normal Isshin fight, which is less fun than Isshin, the Sword Saint, but has an even worse pre-fight.

Unfortunately, the fight reveals one of Sekiro's greatest weaknesses. Overall, I think the fights are mediocre - bad compared to the Soulsborne games. MUCH TO MUCH is recycled. Starting with the scenes where you partly fight 5-6 bosses at the same place, up to the bosses themselves which are simply warmed up again and again (yes, unfortunately also the Ape). Added to this is the catastrophic camera, which is now unacceptable. It can't be that the camera is as amateurish as it was in the days of Demon's Souls.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two fights that positively stood out for me and I would consider my farovite boss fights: 

• Guardian Ape. Already saw him from the idol and knew what was coming.. but man the fight is so fast and brutal! It is also the first fight where Sekiro forces you to play differently. Instead of deflecting every hit, you need to look for openings and slash away at the health bar. Then you land the killing blow, and baaam! Surprise! ? But not only the twist makes this fight great. The second half feels and plays completely different, while still being super fast-paced and not giving you any room to breathe. 

• Owl Father (Hirata Estate): Ooooh man is this one fun to learn! I obviously missed this in my blind NG playthrough, so when I found Owl again in NG+ I expected a fight like the one atop Ashina Castle. Nope, it's only here that this guy shows how varied he can fight. And you better keep up with him! Give too much space and you'll have a hard time... Always stay close to him, slash, deflect, react. It was super satisfying to learn this one, and it has to be my favorite boss fight in the game. 
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, my favourite was True Corrupted Monk. Love the attacks , the multiple approaches of the fight , the setting and the music. 

The rest of the fights were quite forgettable, maybe discount Laurence of Hatred was interesting enough with its unique stances before attacking.

• 1 month later...

Sword Saint Isshin. I love that the game prepares you for this final fight, because you sure as hell need to use everything you've learned through out the game. In my case: perfectly deflecting, mikiri countering, jumping, sidestepping at the right moment.

I saw Genichiros 1st phase of the fight as a measurement of the players milestone too, you see how far you've gotten from the last 2 times you fought him, because now you stomp him like he's no more than an ant. Isshin has an amazing moveset and his arsenal of weapons (dude's like Ratchet and Clank) made the fight extremely fun once you master it, then it's more like a dance.

7 hours ago, Don_carlito94 said:

Sword Saint Isshin. I love that the game prepares you for this final fight, because you sure as hell need to use everything you've learned through out the game. In my case: perfectly deflecting, mikiri countering, jumping, sidestepping at the right moment.

I saw Genichiros 1st phase of the fight as a measurement of the players milestone too, you see how far you've gotten from the last 2 times you fought him, because now you stomp him like he's no more than an ant. Isshin has an amazing moveset and his arsenal of weapons (dude's like Ratchet and Clank) made the fight extremely fun once you master it, then it's more like a dance.

For me I felt they put Genchiro there to just tilt me harder, first few times I got him first try but after dieing to Ishin a few times I would get more and more tilted and then start dieing to Genchiro haha.

• 1 month later...

Oh man, they're all soo good.

Owl 2.0 was my favorite. Beating him required so much focus, that I left my father talking alone behind me if I wanted dinner. Beat the boss, freaked out on the couch and my father said "Jesus son, what was that"

Genichiro and Gyoubu hold a special place in my heart too, because they were huge walls. I think I needed about 17 runs to beat Gyoubu. The combat was simply not clicking for me.

I liked both Gyoubu Oniwa and Genishiro Ashina. Both bosses captured really well the feel of Sekiro, swords clashing (or spears), close combat, no time to back out, no weird magic or jumps or tools, just two warriors fighting fare and square. I will never forget when I finally defeated Genishiro, the feeling of a "true battle", the adrenaline, it was so awesome.

That is tough to say because i enjoyed most fights but as before mentioned Guardian Ape, Owl (2nd fight), Isshin the sword saint, Demon of Hatred and Gyoubu Masakata Oniwa (for the introductory sentence and then might as well include that one Full plated knight with the best dying voiceline ever:  Robertoooo!)

• 1 month later...

Not that i don't love every boss in the game but for me it was the divine three. The Foster Father, Isshin Ashina and Isshin the Sword Saint. (yes i just called them that and yes my ego is massive tnx for asking)

The first one was mostly because how fluid and mechanically well designed boss it was. I can praise the Owl's design and animations for DAYS, AND there were little to no shitboxes which in my opinion is very important on boss designing(looking at you Emma's sudden sumo moves:|) Also the OST is awesome on the fight. You can really see that the team had alotta fun making the boss and put their best effort into it.

As for Isshin it's the Motherlovin' atmosphere. The OST especially in the second phase informs you that you are fighting a freakin demon in man's clothing. He looks badass and also moves like one (That edgy dodge and the One Mind move he does brings a smile to my face) and the cutscene before the fight is just class S hype material. Also the Emma fight before this is ALOT more fun then Genichiro before SS version of Isshin.

And SS Isshin. I cannot praise this boss enough, anything i want to say will be a repeat of: OMG HE'S SOOOO COOL!!! From the spear attacks to his beam attacks to lightning reversals to OST. He has won my heart for the best final boss i've ever seen (having played all of soulsborne and tons of challenge runs as well)

P.S. These are all my personal experiences that may differ from person to person, i have beaten this game many times with different challenges and came to conclusion that these three are the pinnacle of fromsofts boss designing. You'll know why if you have played the games that came before this like Tenchu, Bloodborne and Dark Souls because you'll see how far from's team has come and how more polished their work is. 

• 2 months later...

I can't say for sure exactly which boss against whom I enjoyed fighting the most. Possibly O'Rinn (sp). She was so graceful, I had a harder time forcing myself to fight her instead of watching her.

I can say without a doubt, as in, I hate him with an angry, blood-red passion, my least favorite was Owl Father. Ugh. How much I de-freaking-spise him. Took me something like three damn days to finally beat him. I know from playing all four Souls games + Bloodbourne, FromSoftware likes to overpower some of the bosses, but Christ Almighty. Owl Father was like fighting an older, ninja-powered Superman with long hair and an angry, magical pet owl. Long story short: He sucked three pitch-black shades of ass. 

• 1 month later...

For setting the stage and his grand introduction, Gyoubu for sure. 

For the feeling of satisfaction (getting parry timings down and such), True Corrupted Monk (still burned through all my heals and a res though ?).

For uniqueness and change of pace, Folding Screen Monkeys (I would've never figured out there was an invisible monkey without a walkthrough, and on my NG+ run I did it in like 5 minutes whereas the first attempt took me almost an hour, lol).

For the sheer spectacle, even though I'm not a fan of scripted 'event bosses', Divine Dragon.

For the sense of achievement and retribution, Genichiro on subsequent rematches. He really was the first true skill check. I think I've died to him more times than any other boss or enemy, including both Isshins.

...And of course, the Elder Monkey, with special mention to the two around Great Serpent Shrine. You *do not* go there. It's a bad neighbourhood.

Edited by easterkeke

• 2 months later...

Geniricho at the top of the castle for me.

Like a lot of people say, this is maybe the real 'skill check' in the whole game... you play up until this point just doing your own thing, but you cannot fight Geniricho without playing properly. It really hits hard at this point that you have to fight tactically, learn movesets and learn how to properly deflect, manage posture etc. Prior to this you can get by with Soulsborne tactics, but this fight really takes Sekiro off on its' own path.

What I love about this boss fight is you die a million times... but it never seemed unfair. Each time I failed it was due to a mistake I made... so I went back to readapt my tactics, find another wall to overcome.. etc etc.

It's a great fight. Really is Sekiro at its best and makes the player discover the depth there is to the game.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I personally really enjoyed Owl in Hirata Estate. I remember staying up until 3 AM trying to understand the moveset and having to give up and try again the next day.

But boy, when you finally beat him, it is so enjoyable. Cool boss fight all in all.

• 2 years later...

This game is superb. A masterpiece! Can't remember a game that gave me so much relief when I was done beating bosses after hundreds of tries. Because it has insanely hard bosses if you don't cheese and just use your skill (and even cheesing can be hard, LOL). One of the hardest game I've ever played for sure. Heart palpitations, sweaty palms, I was literally on edge. And I've enjoyed every bit of it!

All of the boss fights were fantastic. Genichiro was intimidating, Guardian Ape was hectic, Divine Dragon was beautiful, Owl was badass.

But Ishin, the Sword Saint... This guy right here. This guy really wants you to know he's the final boss. I can't even describe a feeling of finally beating him after endless attempts (did it twice, second time on New Game+). It was orgasmic, LMAO. He is the hardest boss I've ever met.

Thank you, FromSoftware. I will never forget this experience! One of the best games ever for me.

Edited by BubbleJayGum

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed both Isshin, The Sword Saint, and Isshin Ashina. Despite both being quite challenging and taking me a long while, both fights succeeded in giving me an adrenaline rush. I quite literally had a high point in joy when I ran my katana through The Sword Saint’s heart, throwing my controller aside and running around the house screaming in joy. Finally mastering the combat in this game is truly a test in its own, and beating the very foe that tests your ability is an unrivaled feeling.

Edited by HDP_Reap
  • Like 1