Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?

Undead Wolf

Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• It's outdated and should be changed (be sure to post if you have a better idea than mine)
    • It's perfect the way it is now

3 hours ago, Demon--Prototype said:

If you don't care about how your trophies look to others then you can simply just hide your incomplete games.

Not weird at all, starting a new account with the intention of completing everything that comes your way is very different to you just deleting your way to a 100%

Challenging yourself to finish incomplete games is the very thing that gives meaning to having a 100% profile.

Like I say, im a bit OCD I think, its just having a incomplete trophy record doesnt sit right with me, hide or not, its still incomplete to me.

My new account doesnt isnt to complete everything that comes my way, its to keep a 100% account. My old account will used for playing everything that comes my way and I definitely wont be 100% everyone. My new main will allow me to 100% only games I enjoy from trialling on my old account. 

It can take hours into games sometimes b4 u truly get a feel for them.

I just like to.have a clean coomplete.account when I put this much time into gaming, thats all the meaning there is for me personally

It would be torture for me 100% my old account as I dont enjoy half the games, but if some gamers can enjoy that then thats great for you, I just wouldnt.

I think im in the minority that I just like trophies as a record keeping system, I see I was off topic anyhow 

Edited by optimusmart

18 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Actually this is something that hasn't been brought up at all here, and is actually as much an issue for AAA games as EZPZs. What happened to the art of making a trophy list? So few developers do this now. Back on the PS3, most games were 40-50 trophies. Now increasingly even AAA games are 20, 25 trophies. Little thought is given to the lists, with hard trophies often being a bronze and easy ones a gold.

Yes, I know that you were referring to the 12 trophy, all gold platinum lists. But in general the trophy list quality is going down.

Maybe a good compromise from Sony would be that your list needs to be 35 or more trophies to get a platinum.

A lot of PS3 games had a tacked on multiplayer. In addition to the single player you have to play for hours upon hours in multiplayer to be able to finally obtain that platinum. Crysis 2 and 3 are two good examples. Homefront was another game that required a LOT of multiplayer, not to mention that the servers were complete shit.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood on the PS3 is a pretty good example of what you would see in a lot of AAA game trophy lists. Ubisoft basically took out the multiplayer portion of the game and added in the Da Vinci DLC for the PS4 remaster, which I much rather prefer.

I think most developers just saw trophies and achievements as a sort of a fad. Xbox 360 was the pioneer in giving us a universal achievement list that gave us achievements for doing certain tasks. The old Call of Duty games basically had a list that was well designed and encouraged you to do just about everything the games offered.

World of Warcraft started implementing their own achievement system with The Wrath of the Lich King expansion which released in late 2008. That was only a few months after the Playstation 3 had a system update that supported trophies, with Super Stardust HD and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune being the first games to ever get trophies.

The days of making a thoughtful achievement list and trophy list are pretty much gone at this point. It's sad that there are developers who pretty much depend on us, the trophy hunters, and especially guys like yourself @diskdocx who have been gaming for a very long time to buy these easy games (EZPZs) so that they can get some profits. There is nothing wrong with making profits, particularly for those struggling indie developers out there who are desperate to get their product out there to be sold. But when you rely on trophy hunters, or trophy "whores" in a lot of cases to buy your piece of shit games that no average person or casual is really going to spend their time on, there's something wrong there.

A lot has changed. I personally find myself bored with a lot of AAA games regardless of what their trophy lists are. I often gravitate towards original and hard indies like Furi because they are well designed and skill dependent. That's not everybody's cup of tea of course.

Should trophy lists be more like the first inFamous? Call of Duty: World at War? I don't know. I think the excuse now is to jam pack a lot of AAA games with a ton of DLC, and we have reached a point in time where nobody cares about much DLC is thrown into a game as long as they can keep playing it.

Edited by Spaz

On 4/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, Property_Damage said:

The system is significantly flawed and its spiraling out of control

people with nothing but ezpz’s call themselves trophy hunters, that shit alone fucking grinds my gears, i have 12 telltale platinums or powgi platinums, im a trophy hunter, No, youre really not!  companies are now profiting off of your ”platinum hobby” and pumping out shitty, bad games with easy trophies just so you can proudly boast/brag and somehow feel good about your 12 minute, 5$ cross buy pointless platinum nobody gives a fuck about

nobodies asking you, how did you ever manage to beat Tetras Escape

but they might ask you how you managed to platinum WipEout HD

in all honesty i wish they would just do away with trophies

I don't know if I would call it flawed, but it is changing, mostly towards being more like XBox Achievements. I wouldn't really call it better or worse, just different. 

I don't really see the hate on how someone peruses their hobby. Some people would rather mass hundred of one day Platinums rather than spend that time on a smaller more time consuming ones, but either way I would consider them a trophy hunter if they're buying/playing games to collect trophies. I suppose my train of thought is that it's strange to say a person who hunts ducks a flock at a time isn't a hunter because they don't exclusively hunt deer. Big or small games, they're hunting. 

Personally, I like the easy games as a bit of fluff, sometimes I don't want to have a three week gap in Platinums while I play games like  Bloodborne, Witcher 3, GTA 5, and an easy hour plat is just what I want to not only help pad my trophies, but also to take a break from the harder or longer Platinums. 

In all honestly though, I have to assume you're either a troll or a hypocrite. 
You have 658 Platinums, your most recent (as of writing) is one you got in under four minutes. Sure you have some difficult ones done recently, but a lot are the quick and easy ones you hated one. You have 6 Platinums in "Sound Shapes", across three consoles and four languages with two of them literally obtained in 22 SECONDS. I suppose what it comes down to is if you're a Trophy Hunter or not, because to quote you, "youre really not!... you can proudly boast/brag and somehow feel good about your 12 minute, 5$ cross buy pointless platinum nobody gives a fuck about"

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

To everyone talking about how they want the option to delete trophy lists from their profile: I can't help but feel you've missed the purpose of this thread. :P It doesn't address the problems myself and others see with the current trophy system (specifically in regards to these "EZPZ" games devaluing it). Besides, there have been threads in the past dedicated to that exact topic, so we don't need a repeat of those. I'll just say this: The option to delete any trophy list you want would make trophy hunting incredibly boring. We already have people padding their trophy stats with EZPZ games, making PSN level and platinum count rather meaningless. Now you want the same done to completion? Because that's what would happen; the people who worked hard for a high completion wouldn't look anywhere near as impressive once everyone and their mother could do that just by deleting any low completion games on their profile.

We bitch a lot about trophies. I've heard enough on trophies these past couple years to really not take a number of trophy hunters seriously because by and large, some of us are extremely dedicated to this hobby.

That being said, any option to delete trophy lists with the flick of a wand completely destroys any purpose of accomplishment and trophy hunting in the first place. Admittedly, I have not been here as long as some of you guys. I haven't been trophy hunting as long as a good number of you and certainly the vast majority of those guys over at PST.org easily make my trophy list rather unremarkable. But I have worked hard on my account these past three years and I would certainly boil over and get all pissed off if such an option to delete a trophy list was available.

Steam already has people hacking achievements and nobody gives a shit because you can find computer programs that automatically get Steam achievements for you. The difference is NOTHING is being done about it, so there's no point. At least here on PSNProfiles there is a bit of moderation and standard to keep out the cheaters off the leaderboards, even though we have sadly lost a few people because of the way things have been going here this past year or so.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kizer26 said:

I don't know if I would call it flawed, but it is changing, mostly towards being more like XBox Achievements. I wouldn't really call it better or worse, just different. 

I don't really see the hate on how someone peruses their hobby. Some people would rather mass hundred of one day Platinums rather than spend that time on a smaller more time consuming ones, but either way I would consider them a trophy hunter if they're buying/playing games to collect trophies. I suppose my train of thought is that it's strange to say a person who hunts ducks a flock at a time isn't a hunter because they don't exclusively hunt deer. Big or small games, they're hunting. 

Personally, I like the easy games as a bit of fluff, sometimes I don't want to have a three week gap in Platinums while I play games like  Bloodborne, Witcher 3, GTA 5, and an easy hour plat is just what I want to not only help pad my trophies, but also to take a break from the harder or longer Platinums. 

In all honestly though, I have to assume you're either a troll or a hypocrite. 
You have 658 Platinums, your most recent (as of writing) is one you got in under four minutes. Sure you have some difficult ones done recently, but a lot are the quick and easy ones you hated one. You have 6 Platinums in "Sound Shapes", across three consoles and four languages with two of them literally obtained in 22 SECONDS. I suppose what it comes down to is if you're a Trophy Hunter or not, because to quote you, "youre really not!... you can proudly boast/brag and somehow feel good about your 12 minute, 5$ cross buy pointless platinum nobody gives a fuck about"

Lets see, 658 platinums?

last time i checked my profile i was only at 252

My most recent platinum done in under 4 minutes?

it says 1 hour and 53 minutes but i suppose you know more about my account than idk, me? Lol

So many People get confused with the term trophy hunter, so many!  if you wanna play ratalaika games and thats it, go right on ahead (i play some of them too but thats not my entire catalog of games) but if thats all you got, you're NOT a trophy hunter, in fact, you are a trophy hoarder, to put it simply, you cant hunt trophies that are essentially handed to you and i wish someone would make a thread about that explaining the differences. Theres the real McCoys then theres posers.  Its like buying your girlfriend a fake designer purse and telling her its the real deal.  Happy anniversary honey! 

Enjoy your cheap chinese knock off lmao

people used to bitch that the walking dead wasnt deserving of a platinum trophy but yet some of those same people get excited about another 15minute shovelware platinum and cant wait to add it to their list

to each their own but for arguments sake, we will just agree to disagree

i just wanna see you “trophy hunters” challenge yourself more

Edited by Property_Damage

6 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Lets see, 658 platinums?

it says 1 hour and 53 minutes but i suppose you know more about my account than idk, me? Lol

So many People get confused with the term trophy hunter, so many!  if you wanna play ratalaika games and thats it, go right on ahead (i play some of them too but thats not my entire catalog of games) but if thats all you got, you're NOT a trophy hunter, in fact, you are a trophy hoarder, to put it simply, you cant hunt trophies that are essentially handed to you and i wish someone would make a thread about that explaining the differences. Theres the real McCoys then theres posers.  Its like buying your girlfriend a fake designer purse and telling her its the real deal.  Happy anniversary honey! 

people used to bitch that the walking dead wasnt deserving of a platinum trophy but yet some of those same people get excited about another 15minute shovelware platinum and cant wait to add it to their list

I think everybody should challenge themselves every now and then.

That's what people had to do back in the old days (1980s, 1990s and early 2000s) because video games back then were generally more difficult.

I'm not saying anybody should avoid easy games, that's far from the point. I myself plan to get The Bunker and Late Shift, even though both are extremely easy platinums, I'm more interested in the content matter. Although technically they are more about watching a movie with actors, you just sit there and make the choices. A lot of TellTale games are the same way, only they are more cartoonish.

If you avoid challenges altogether then you are not progressing as a person. This applies to trophy hunting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Lets see, 658 platinums?

Big Yikes, I'm super newbish at the forums and viewed the wrong person's profile when reading your comment (I think they quoted you).Sorry about that, that's 100% on me.

I suppose it is just an agree to disagree thing on the topic of Trophy Hunters, since I view that kind of hunter simply as one who likes the quantity over quality, but ultimately I still see them as trophy hunters since they are hunting trophies lol

• Like 1

On 12/04/2019 at 2:41 AM, Spaz said:

I meant sides according to this thread because we cannot seem to agree to disagree without getting into a big argument. 

There is a rarity leaderboard. I don’t think too many know about it because I haven’t found a direct link to it, at least to my knowledge. 

I knew exactly what I was getting into on that thread. It was all obvious, anybody who has been here a couple years or so knows about the leaderboards and how to get trophies in most games. It’s the triggered mindset that pissed me off, because while I love trophies like anybody else does here, I now felt that I can’t make a critical opinion about a part of trophy hunting. 

I understand the leaderboards and I understand the ranking system because I used to be fairly high rank in a MMO. You say that money isn’t a defining factor, but time definitely is. I don’t have the time nor the desire to be near the top of the trophy leaderboards here. I’m fine with where I’m at. 

PSN Trophy Leaders has a rarity leaderboard. Not surprised that I’m not very high rank because my profile mostly consists of easy to medium level games with a lot of common and uncommon trophies.

We should be arguing, or debating, or whatever you want to call this. The leaderboards are a fairly big thing in some people's lives. I haven't really picked a side on this yet, on one hand having the leaderboard weighted by rarity is quite a good thing. It allows the top to go and play something for fun without fear of losing their positions. I have talked to guys a decent way away from me that feel they can't take breaks from the easy games else they will just fall down the boards.

On the other hand, changing the board this drastically is going to make some people very unhappy. If it's the main board I can see a lot of the  ezpz players moving elsewhere, either away from trophy hunting or on to sites that's main board is total points. It is also quite nice to have a total trophy board, it;s a summation of the most unbiased thing. 

I am not disputing time as a major factor, it obviously is. But even skill based leaderboards are heavily impacted by time. I would replace money with access to games, there is so many ways to stretch how much money a hunter spends. Almost every ezpz will go on sale for 3.99 or so on either the NA or EU store. Use sites that sell codes for below the RRP, use a Canadian PSN rather than a US one since stuff is often cheaper there. 

Currently both those rarity boards are pretty broken. The board on PSNTL can be abused by doing the pinball games, they may be hard but once you have a game that gives that many points it really needs to be nerfed. And the one here just has a bunch of hackers that hid their trophies so they can't be flagged. The board that is currently the rarity board is quite a nice weighted board though

I am kind of curious, since you say money is a big part, how much do you think the top hunters spend?     

1 hour ago, midgetstrawdog said:

We should be arguing, or debating, or whatever you want to call this. The leaderboards are a fairly big thing in some people's lives. I haven't really picked a side on this yet, on one hand having the leaderboard weighted by rarity is quite a good thing. It allows the top to go and play something for fun without fear of losing their positions. I have talked to guys a decent way away from me that feel they can't take breaks from the easy games else they will just fall down the boards.

I know. The leaderboards were a big deal for me in the past. But I wouldn’t say that constantly playing to get to the top and maintaining that position is a healthy way to be playing. 

I used to know people in a MMO who played 10 - 12 hours every single day, so I can easily assume these top guys are doing that if not more. It’s their choice, but it’s not mine because I just don’t find their way of playing to be fun, or rewarding. 

2 hours ago, midgetstrawdog said:

On the other hand, changing the board this drastically is going to make some people very unhappy. If it's the main board I can see a lot of the  ezpz players moving elsewhere, either away from trophy hunting or on to sites that's main board is total points. It is also quite nice to have a total trophy board, it;s a summation of the most unbiased thing.  

I can understand the topic creator because a lot of ezpz games are just handed out like candy, with no thought or substance put into them. The only thing worth of value are the trophies, and they’re just a cheap way of making money. 

Plus when you make THREE different regions for them equaling six stacks total, then I can understand why some people are irritated with that. But those who are unhappy with the board that can be changed are a minority in a minority. 

I am not disputing time as a major factor, it obviously is. But even skill based leaderboards are heavily impacted by time. I would replace money with access to games, there is so many ways to stretch how much money a hunter spends. Almost every ezpz will go on sale for 3.99 or so on either the NA or EU store. Use sites that sell codes for below the RRP, use a Canadian PSN rather than a US one since stuff is often cheaper there.    

Well to be frank it’s much easier now to find and buy games for cheap than it was back in the old days. 

Those games are generally under $5, and offer a corresponding PS4/Vita stack. I usually think they’re shit, because of how easy they are. 

Currently both those rarity boards are pretty broken. The board on PSNTL can be abused by doing the pinball games, they may be hard but once you have a game that gives that many points it really needs to be nerfed. And the one here just has a bunch of hackers that hid their trophies so they can't be flagged. The board that is currently the rarity board is quite a nice weighted board though

I am kind of curious, since you say money is a big part, how much do you think the top hunters spend?     

I don’t care all that much, but it’s the one part of the leaderboards I remotely care for. 

Well that is evident with the number of hidden trophies they have. A few hidden games, sure. But 500 - 1000+ hidden trophies? Looks rather suspicious.

Depends. Some might game share, others buy those easy games for money costs.

• 2 weeks later...

People have pretty much said this before but I'll give my thoughts too. 

• Sony needs to disable trophies for shovelware or make them bronze only without plats (seriously what happened to that?)
  • Game sharing should disable trophies
  • Imported saves from USB should disable trophies
  • Sony should hold companies accountable for glitched/unattainable trophies and let you remove the list from your profile if you wish (completionists get triggered I don't care)
  • Platting a game and then autopopping the trophies in another stack needs to go
  • Sony could maybe hold annual events where top trophy hunters gather and compete against each other live (you're provided with games and whoever gets the most plats wins or something like that)
  • Bring that damn Ps Rewards bullshit to Europe, get your lawyers together and make this shit happen I don't care about excuses, we're your customers too.

I don't wanna spend any more time thinking about this shit but I'm sure there's a lot more to fix I couldn't remember of.

• Like 2

Not if someone already gave this idea but I consider that:

1. They should prevent again that games that are completed in less than 24 hours have platinum. Some players like me just play the games we buy because we like them, not just for trophies.

2. They should create a new trophy (diamond trophy) for those who have 100% games. (these games are only those that have DLC)

3. Create colored platinum trophies, for example, if it is more difficult, that is a red platinum, when your cup of obtaining is below 1% and this should be automatic.

I think this last idea could tell us how "skillful" a player is, for example:

You have 25 red platinums and another player tells you: I have 100 platinums but once they are bronze or green platinums. I would stay like ... ok, you have more but mine are red platinums :)

Oh, and finally, the percentage that makes you advance in the leadeboards is measured by the platinum difficulty, not because you have more. For example: who has more red platinums.

Or make different categories, I do not know. But I do believe that they have to implement something new.

• Like 3

Overhaul, definitely no.  Maybe a slight tweaking but not sure it is needed.

If you want more points for rare trophies/platinums, looks at a leaderboard that values that (i.e. a Rarity leaderboard).  I am somehow in the Top 50 on psntrophyleaders for that :)

My only fix here would be that it doesn't need to be a hardline at 50% - trophies mean something or they don't.

Make it over 70%. Think about it, all the games like Mayo, Fragments, etc... are in the 98th percentile. At 50%, you're cutting off a game like Spider-Man from getting it's just due. By putting the bar just a bit higher, you make it so all those crap games disappear valuewise. The odd game here and there will lose some points at over 70% value (but let's be honest even Burly Men at Sea which is as easy and short as a cupcake is at 68%). There's a better system out there, they just prolly won't adopt it. 

On 29/04/2019 at 7:39 PM, ShadowAsek said:

Bad idea. New, super easy game will be more valuable (less people have plat), than older one very difficult (more ppl have plat)

If by "super easy game" you mean the ones where the platinum can be obtained in less than an hour with no effort required, that's simply not true. Even when these games first get released, their platinum rarity is incredibly high. Maybe your typical easy game with a platinum that takes 20+ hours would start off rarer than older, more difficult games, but give it a week or two and that problem would fix itself. Maybe you could have it where new games are exempt from the rarity point calculation for a short period of time (a couple of weeks?), and is given the default amount of points in the meantime. The idea I suggested means the value of a game's trophies can change over time - it's not a fixed amount.

On 2019-04-28 at 8:04 AM, panikooooos said:

People have pretty much said this before but I'll give my thoughts too. 

• Sony needs to disable trophies for shovelware or make them bronze only without plats (seriously what happened to that?)
  • Game sharing should disable trophies
  • Imported saves from USB should disable trophies
  • Sony should hold companies accountable for glitched/unattainable trophies and let you remove the list from your profile if you wish (completionists get triggered I don't care)
  • Platting a game and then autopopping the trophies in another stack needs to go
  • Sony could maybe hold annual events where top trophy hunters gather and compete against each other live (you're provided with games and whoever gets the most plats wins or something like that)
  • Bring that damn Ps Rewards bullshit to Europe, get your lawyers together and make this shit happen I don't care about excuses, we're your customers too.

I don't wanna spend any more time thinking about this shit but I'm sure there's a lot more to fix I couldn't remember of.

Game sharing should not disable trophies. It’s the only way to get local coop trophies online where the devs didn’t provide online. I assume you’re referring to Share Play by “game sharing”. And frankly even without that who cares, someone could just as easily have a friend do it for them in their own house and you’d never know the difference. Why people get so bothered by what others do is beyond me. I really want a history of every method you’ve used on all your trophies, because I bet every person whining about this has used glitches, boosting or other “cheating” methods to earn a trophy or two. Glass houses. 

Why should i not be able to copy and use my saves on my two PS4s exactly? PSN and my internet are not always available for me to use the cloud and using the cloud costs a subscription. They can already lock saves to an account/profile, just do that.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Game sharing should not disable trophies. It’s the only way to get local coop trophies online where the devs didn’t provide online. I assume you’re referring to Share Play by “game sharing”. And frankly even without that who cares, someone could just as easily have a friend do it for them in their own house and you’d never know the difference. Why people get so bothered by what others do is beyond me. I really want a history of every method you’ve used on all your trophies, because I bet every person whining about this has used glitches, boosting or other “cheating” methods to earn a trophy or two. Glass houses. 

Why should i not be able to copy and use my saves on my two PS4s exactly? PSN and my internet are not always available for me to use the cloud and using the cloud costs a subscription. They can already lock saves to an account/profile, just do that.

Words of wisdom right there, man.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... I misread the question and as a result voted for the wrong option. Just put me in the "its fine the way it is" category. Most problems I have with how trophies are implemented now comes down to the devs themselves, and nothing inherently wrong with the system Sony has set up.

Of course, Sony could be proactive and address the situation head-on by letting us disable trophies ourselves and/or deleting finished/unfinished games BUT ANYWAYS..........

On 4/9/2019 at 11:51 PM, coldsphinx93 said:

I just want there to be less shovelware garbage being sold on the store. $8.00 (CAD) for a plat I can get in like an hour or less? What is the point? I wouldn't support these games for less than $1.00 because I just want them to go away! I see every week there are a handful of these games put out, and they only exist literally because of one demographic: shameless trophy whores. At least price them accordingly; money hungry cash ins preying on people with poor impulse control is how I see it.

It has nothing to do with trophies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

People have been doing that for decades. Passing the controller along is nothing new, in fact I was doing that a lot back in the Nintendo 64 days and Playstation 2 days.

We aren't going to stop all the cheaters from making it on the leaderboards. But I sure as shit won't accept outright cheaters to stay there without any punishment or at least some sort of reprimand.

I fail to see how boosting is in any sense a form of outright cheating. I've argued about this to other people on here before and they have yet to come up with a valid answer.

By your statement, every single one of us has cheated in one way or another.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 4

Can I just point out the guy who is currently No1 worldwide also does stacks of hard and easy plat games so I just feel whoever starter this topic is mostly super jelly over leaderboards.

I also confess I multi stack on here and Xbox. I also don't give a hoot how that makes me look. I collect a lot of this in life like sticker books (Panini), collectible figures ect. I consider Xbox Achievements and PlayStation Trophies as collectibles too so If I know I can double or triple down on my collecting then I will.

To openly judge people and put people into corners/circles based on how they play is very isolating, rude and conceded. Why slag off people (who are unaware) just because the way they want to play, spend their money is not your cup of tea / taste / style.

Stop whining, grow up and realise there is more to gaming and life than just leaderboards.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I assume you’re referring to Share Play by “game sharing”. And frankly even without that who cares, someone could just as easily have a friend do it for them in their own house and you’d never know the difference

"Bruh.mp3 starts playing"

Yes I am referring to Share Play and you got no arguments fam I'm sorry. Seriously so just because we can't be sure someone invited over their friend and let him get the trophies for him we should just make it 200 times easier and legit for people to pay companies and get trophies for them? It's someone ELSE getting trophies for YOU, you do not deserve to be on the leaderboards you are a fraud if you support Share Play allowing you to get trophies. There's nothing wrong with glitches, boosting etc etc, as long as it's YOU getting the trophy without using someone else's work, you earned it, share play is literally people being frauds. 

• Like 1