How do some people already have the plat if the game hasn't been released yet?

JekTC

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is that a real term? I've heard people say it, but I just thought it was another word for "shill".

If you want to be incredibly negative and pessimistic about everything you could view it that way. 

Edited by Gage
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gage said:

If you want to be incredibly negative and pesamistic about everything you could view it that way. 

Well, I certainly am both of those things, but apparently, so too was each person from whom I read the term prior. So again, are there people who use the term "influencer" in a positive way? It doesn't really sound that positive at the end of the day regardless.

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, I certainly am both of those things, but apparently, so too was each person from whom I read the term prior. So again, are there people who use the term "influencer" in a positive way? It doesn't really sound that positive at the end of the day regardless.

i think youtubers started using it to try and sound like their jobs are more important than just making videos about videogames and making funny faces for views.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

"Shill" has the negative connotation of being someone working with another party to more or less scam you. "Influencer" is basically a catch all term for internet people who aren't specially something like a reviewer, journalist, artist, etc. I wouldn't say it's anything other than a neutral term unless you're personally viewing it as a negative due to prejudices against people using the term. 

Edited by Gage
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DangerSpice said:

I work in marketing for video games, and I've done a bunch of influencer marketing over the years. "Influencer" is just a catch-all term for people with an audience, because it's easier for me to call it "influencer marketing" than making a bucket labeled "Twitch/YouTube/Mixer etc." (especially since not all of YouTube would be influencer activity). For non-games, there are also influencers on Instagram, etc.

It's not a positive or negative term, influencers are just another marketing channel like email, social, etc. It can sound icky if you think about it in the sense that we're paying these people to manipulate you into buying something, but if we keep things above board (and not everyone does, but many do) they're making it clear that they were paid to talk about the product (or that they were sent the review copy for free) and they're giving their honest opinions about something, not trying to do anything underhanded. I've worked with well over 100 streamers/YouTubers/etc., and I've never once said anything about how positive they need to be about my product, it's just been "Cool, we'll pay you $X and you'll use this on 3 streams over the next week, yeah?"

Thanks for the explanation!

This question comes up every time there's a big new game and 9 times out of 10 it will be the same answers, maybe there should be some kind of trophy FAQ on this site that includes stuff like this and other common questions/situations and maybe terminology people ask about so everyone in the community can be aware.

I work in the media. Sony gave an absolute shitload of review copies out to press (multiple copies to most outlets, which is rare for video games), influencers/YouTubers, and general games industry people. I’m guessing there were more than a few trophy hunters in that bunch. Since DS is a game that relies on the online community to make the world more dynamic, it makes sense.

Edited by JD-D2