ps5 controller looks like a xbox controller. and i hate it

melodicmizery

i dunno if anyone else feels this way but i feel like they finally made a pretty cool console design we been hoping to see, but totally dropped the ball on the controller. it looks like a xbox controller. it seems like when sony gets one thing right they get everything else wrong

ive always stuck to sony because of their controller. its always felt just right. my cousin use to work for microsoft when the first xbox came out and i could of got alot o f discounts on xbox but when i used the controller i never liked it so i went with sony since ps1. to be honest this is really the main thing that made me stick with sony was the controller was perfect to me. the ps4 touchpad i dont understand because it never gets used so its pointless even the speaker in the controller i think ive only heard used in 2 games. but im like whatever it doesnt change the controller that much. they always add useless crap to the controller. stop packing crap in it and just have the slim old design. 

but this ps5 controller makes me really doubt my future of gaming if i'll even enjoy it. like i said i always bought playstation and not xbox because of the controller. but to be honest xbox always had more sharp and crisp graphics imo. but i stayed with sony because i hate xbox's controller. i feel like sony stabbed me in the back lol. if they got the same controller theres not much keeping me to stay with sony. i mean i got alot of trophies but who cares they are virtual at the end of the day

i havent looked to far into the subject. hopefully they make a alternative controller that isnt as fat and wide and more like the ps3 or ps4 controller. ive always hated big controller designs. i feel like i'll prob get ps5 regardless just to have it but im really pissed lol. i really dont want to get use to this gigantic xbox ripoff. it would be really cool if the ps4 controller would work on ps5. 

• Like 2

Yeah i feel you. I can't explain why but i always get hand cramps with the fat xbox controllers way faster whenever i do use them at like a friends house.Other then that the only thing that botehrs me is that the controller isn't full black (same for the console). White is too noticeably dirty whenever it gets dirty. Gunk build up from dead skins cells and sweat is gonna make all these controllers look hideous and nasty in a few years.

A bit hard to tell for certain without trying it, but yeah, I do feel like it'll be uncomfortable for me. I've never felt at home with Xbox controllers, either.

I wish they'd release a DS3 style controller, honestly. They're probably my favorite.

I'm conflicted  about the controllers.

I'm 6'3 so I don't have problems regarding the controls  being huge, so I just notice I play much better on the Dualshock 4 than the Dualshock 3, especially the  diagonal thingy in fighting games, the response is much much better than the DS3, on the other hand the DS3 has a much much higher longevity, the red DS3 I have from the slim ps3 I bought in 2015 still works, and can go for more than 15 hours when charged, the DS4 however runs out of battery too fast, I just hope the DS5 or whatever it's named  has good controls like the DS4 or even better, and doesn't have pointless shit like the light thing that sucks up energy for nothing useful.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

14 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

Yeah i feel you. I can't explain why but i always get hand cramps with the fat xbox controllers way faster whenever i do use them at like a friends house.Other then that the only thing that botehrs me is that the controller isn't full black (same for the console). White is too noticeably dirty whenever it gets dirty. Gunk build up from dead skins cells and sweat is gonna make all these controllers look hideous and nasty in a few years.

I’m the same, the Xbox controllers really hurt my hands and I can’t play longer than a couple hours in one go. I have quite small hands though so I always put it down to that ?

The new controllers do look very similar to the Xbox controllers, minus the asymmetric analog sticks. I don’t really mind it tbh. I’m not a massive fan of white so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s other colour options, but that’s my only “gripe” at the moment. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve used one myself. I’ll be getting a PlayStation next gen regardless. 

The OP is super dramatic though, I can guarantee you don’t didn’t design their controllers with the intent of stabbing you in the back ? 

21 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

I’m the same, the Xbox controllers really hurt my hands and I can’t play longer than a couple hours in one go. I have quite small hands though so I always put it down to that 1f914.png

The new controllers do look very similar to the Xbox controllers, minus the asymmetric analog sticks. I don’t really mind it tbh. I’m not a massive fan of white so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s other colour options, but that’s my only “gripe” at the moment. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve used one myself. I’ll be getting a PlayStation next gen regardless. 

The OP is super dramatic though, I can guarantee you don’t didn’t design their controllers with the intent of stabbing you in the back 1f602.png 

The showed a picture of the black one already before the event. Look at advert for when they announced the live stream last week was it?

I will reserve judgment until I hold one but I am not a huge fan of the design.

That being said Sony has been making the best controllers these last couple of generations (seriously Nintendo used to have the best controllers...what happened) so I am holding out hope :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am beginning to think that both Sony & Microsoft should stop assuming people all over the world are the same. The average height in Japan is a lot different than the average height in Europe. Assuming that correlates to hand sizes as well, it makes little sense to just have one controller size. Not to mention how ridiculous it is not to account for differences in sex. I mean clothing comes in different sizes right?

I loved the DS4 while the DS3 was far too cramped for me. Others feel this the other way around. I just don’t think it is merely a personal preference. Why can’t we have controllers in S, M & L?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Emerald_Swords said:

Would the Ds4 be compatible with ps5? Seems like we should just wait until we actually get a hold of it before reserving judgment.

I believe I heard that the DS4 is compatible. It would make sense since the dual sense has no new buttons. Not 100% sure though

to me the dual shock 4 was and still is a very nice controller but I am quite happy with the new design. all in all I am not the biggest fan of sonys controller history, the ds4 was the first one I really felt comfortable with and I always envied the newer xbox ones.

When overlaid, there is barely any difference to how it’s held, a bit of a curve where previously there was void space.

this DualSense is packed with awesome features! Even if not used often, the motion controls and speaker are really cool, and the haptic feedback and reactive triggers will be next level.

only annoying thing is all of that will be under-utilised due to MS being so conservative with their controllers.

Im glad the sticks are still symmetrical.. I really dont understand why anyone would want asymmetrical sticks.. my favourite controllers are snes and ps1-3. The ds4 took some getting used too.. and I still dont like that it is bigger, or that the L2 and R2 stick out so far on the bottom. It also has numerous features I find completely useless.. the light,speaker,sixaxis and rumble are all things I dont bother with. And now the dual sense is adding more stuff I probably wont care about... the mic has gotta be terrible.. I probably won't care for heptic  feedback.. but I guess ill try it.

I get that they wanna innovate and create new technologies to provide more immersion... however all I really want is a basic controller 2 sticks, some buttons and a dpad is all I need or even want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonicDraco said:

Im glad the sticks are still symmetrical.. I really dont understand why anyone would want asymmetrical sticks.. my favourite controllers are snes and ps1-3. The ds4 took some getting used too.. and I still dont like that it is bigger, or that the L2 and R2 stick out so far on the bottom. It also has numerous features I find completely useless.. the light,speaker,sixaxis and rumble are all things I dont bother with. And now the dual sense is adding more stuff I probably wont care about... the mic has gotta be terrible.. I probably won't care for heptic  feedback.. but I guess ill try it.

I get that they wanna innovate and create new technologies to provide more immersion... however all I really want is a basic controller 2 sticks, some buttons and a dpad is all I need or even want.

I have to disagree somewhat. The redesign of the ds4 triggers meant they didn’t activate when lying the controller down. The light bar had no negatives (no, it didn’t drain the battery, it was a tiny LED) and allowed for the phenomenal Astro Bot, (game of the generation by far), motion controls were a part of that too.

i agree with you about rumble, I turned it off, but mainly due to the poor battery life. Haptic is a whole new level however.

The speaker was great in games like resogun and, again Astro Bot.

the whole reason those things didn’t become commonplace is the lack of innovation by MS. The Xbox kept every third party game from utilising these features.

The touchpad was the main useless feature that’s being carried over, but at least it allows for 5 extra buttons.

I’m really happy about the haptics and triggers, but it’ll take games to show their brilliance. Hopefully MS don’t scupper that again this generation.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I think ps5 and their controllers are leaps and bounds ahead of xboxs design

I like the look of it all

maybe itll fit perfectly in your hands, maybe not

hard to tell from a 1 dimension picture

I could never abandon my profile or my trophies because of a controller setup

i would just buy a knockoff brand that felt better in my hands or just use a DS4 seeing as how that should still be compatible 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, Sifferino said:

I am beginning to think that both Sony & Microsoft should stop assuming people all over the world are the same. The average height in Japan is a lot different than the average height in Europe. Assuming that correlates to hand sizes as well, it makes little sense to just have one controller size. Not to mention how ridiculous it is not to account for differences in sex. I mean clothing comes in different sizes right?

I loved the DS4 while the DS3 was far too cramped for me. Others feel this the other way around. I just don’t think it is merely a personal preference. Why can’t we have controllers in S, M & L?

short answer? money

seriously from PS1 to PS4 I've known dozens of gamers of all sizes and both genders. Never heard a complaint from people in the 150cm to 210cm spectrum, a lot of praises over it being better than the xbox one mind you. Imagine the production cost for separate controller sizes, market estimates for how much and where to ship, how to pack them up with the PS5 on launch etc.

I personally like the design and will hold judgement on ergos until I use it for some hours - but Sony never failed in that part.

The big thing for me is going to be the haptic feedback. The HD Rumble on the Switch blew my mind honestly, and that was a dumbed down version built for the tiny casing of the Joy-Cons, so I expect something really amazing from Sony. As long as that holds true, then I think I can put up with the controller.

• Like 1

I honestly forgot about the touchpad.. the games that used it.. it was mostly annoying.. I dont think we need 5 extra buttons thats too many..  the light when its actually used is annoying sometimes.. if it is dark and the thing starts flashing it can be distracting not really sure what the point is. Who actually looks at their controller?  The speaker i never gave a chance, turned that off before starting any games. As a Playstation gamer that prefers basic controllers I guess I have something to be greatful to MS for..

Either way despite all my complaints I will get a ps5, maybe not day 1 but at some point.

I think we should wait until we have it in our hands, otherwise we can't have an accurate idea of how it'll feel. Personally the PS4 one is one of the most comfortable controller I've experienced, and I hope PS5 will be even better.

As for the console design, I personally don't like the curves too much, I preffer the new Xbox design as from my point of view has a more interesting/futuristic design. Yeah, it's just a pillar, but reminds me the monolith in Kubrick's 2001. And yet I know I won't get it as I only care about the franchises I love, and the only Xbox I got was 360 due to Lost Odyssey, DoA and being home to all the shmups, especially Cave ones which I love so much. I wish someday we could see these on PS.