FF13 vs FF15: Worst Final Fantasy ever made?

Silver-I-Chariot

FF13 vs FF15: Worst Final Fantasy ever made?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Your personal worst Final Fantasy mainline title is:

29 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

This was a good read considering I've never played any of the FF games and was actually considering FFXV.  May need to rethink that idea.

I don't  think you should consider those opinions.

While I would rank 15 higher than 13, that's  not exactly a high bar, I enjoyed the characters much more than 13, but the main complaint was the combat, it is a very huge departure from the FF  of old, and more similiar to the standard light ARPG formula such as Witcher 3,  and this will, without a doubt, anger  the fanbase, if you're  new, however, and have no previous attachment, that should not be  a problem for you.

DLC is pretty much when the  combat hits its apex with lots of difficult challenges, main game is quite easy though, and you need to revert to a  old version of the game if you're looking for the 100%.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Not sure if people who already replied still read this topic, but I'll ask anyway: why so much hate on FF2?
From what I recall the game was fine and I enjoyed it (I played the GBA remake though). Not the most memorable among the pre-FF6 era, but still a good FF.

I also enjoyed FF13 and 15 (I played the Royal Edition, so a much more polished version than its original release), even though they are both flawed and far from the best FF.
The only FF I didn't like is FF12, but I may replay it (the Zodiac Age version) to see if I am wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Not sure if people who already replied still read this topic, but I'll ask anyway: why so much hate on FF2?
From what I recall the game was fine and I enjoyed it (I played the GBA remake though). Not the most memorable among the pre-FF6 era, but still a good FF.

I also enjoyed FF13 and 15 (I played the Royal Edition, so a much more polished version than its original release), even though they are both flawed and far from the best FF.
The only FF I didn't like is FF12, but I may replay it (the Zodiac Age version) to see if I am wrong.

I think most of the hate comes from the levelling system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kpppp-2B9SA2 said:

I think most of the hate comes from the levelling system.

I see, makes sense (even though I don't think it is so bad or tedious, or at least not much more than any early FF :D). Having flat story/characters like FF12 (imho) was much worse.

• Like 1

Interesting question. 

I also consider both XIII and XV the bottom tier FF's of all time. And to think there was a time when I thought X-2 was the worst thing that could happen to FF. How young and naive I was. Now I even look back to X-2 and think to myself: "That wasn't so bad". 

I personally despise XIII more than anything else I have played in RPG's and video-games in general. I don't like XV too much but at least the characters were a bit likable. It's a shame they butchered the story the way they did with anime, movies and DLC's.

But really, it will be very hard to for Square to make something worse than XIII.

• 6 months later...

This is a question without an end. Many different points of view. However, at the bottom we have VIII X /X-2 XIII saga and XV. Definitly for me FF VIII and X saga are the least favourite. FF XIII on the other hand, is pretty decent and for me is way better than XII and IX. FF XIII had still the turn based combat which I really love, and the thing that was pretty linear was fine for me, not all FF's should be open world from the begininning. Furthermore, almost all characters were funny. Combat was simply but to the point.

FF XV was in my opinion one of the easiest games of FF out there, almost no need of tactics or things like that. Maybe this due to the fact that videogames are nowadays more accesible to newcomers. Nevertheless, I still prefer it over other FF games, but, the fact that they turned FF into an action-rpg did not fits too much for me, I felt it like a Kingdom Hearts game more than an FF. Given these points, the upper points of XV was graphics, story, lore, and open world missions avriety.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I really liked FFXIII and FFXV. I bought my PS3 and the first game I played was FFXIII. I had to parked it after finishing the story because of playing time issue and was able to picked it up again a year later to get the Platinum. The grind to platinum, for me, was the best part of the game. 

Bought my PS4 as there was news of the FFXV demo coming out in a few weeks. I remember that the demo was short but for me to play demo for FFXV back then was some sort of assurance that the game will be out and I can play the whole game.

Also to mention, I had a really great experience playing FF Type-0 too. I love the part of the game where the characters are outside, in the field and the battle is some sort of battle-tactics. Anyway, i'm still hoping for a sequel.

• Like 1

I am a big FF fan and find something to absolutely love in each entry. Some could even say I’m blind to some faults.

However, XV is the first time I felt so betrayed. So I voted for it. I get the hate and criticism for XIII but actually kinda loved the game, I can’t say the same about XV. I like many things about the game but almost everything I like has its accompanied unfinished garbage attached to it (or at least at launch).

XV was released completely unfinished with half assed ideas, and they tried to fix that with DLC and extended media universe to fill in the gaps and as a huge FF fan I just took that personal.

• Like 1

I never finished FF15, really just got bored with it. However FF13, there is just nothing here for me. I mean I know ff10 was on rails but this games is just horrible. I know I'm an old fart that started back on the SNES and then on PS1 where 7 and 8 where imo the greatest Final Fantasy games, 9 I just really didn't like. New console and new period of titles, ff10 was kinda ok and ff12 was also kind of ok. But seriously, ps3 is out and expectations where a little too high. I own a limited edition FF13 ps3 console but damn I hated on the game.

With Final Fantasy to work you need to get interested and sucked in to the characters and their lives. ff15 was like Rockstar status and the characters appear as total knobs, but unlike 13 there is an actual game to play in there.  

On 6/25/2020 at 9:43 PM, Masamune said:

I really hope you just forgot about Advent Children when you made that first statement. :P But yeah, Kingsglaive was probably the best thing to come out of XV. :hmm:

Honestly I'm hoping XVI will be at least as good as X was (which is probably my 3rd favorite)... but I think that's still setting the bar a bit too high for them. -_-

Advent Children should not exist and I'd like to think that it doesn't! ?

Both are not the worst FF games ever made in my opinion. (Maybe FFXI is the worst??)

As someone who only got into Final Fantasy after they dropped the turn based systems and random battles, i can say they're both really unique.

I had no attachment to the previous games so it was easy for me to like it and appreciate it for what it was and not what its supposed to be.

FF13 is linear and it that's fine if you don't expect it to be something else FFXV is the opposite and is completely open world and imo a big graphical step upwards from 13.

Both games have their own qualities that make them fun and stand out. The production value of both games is very high and pushing their respective console to the limit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not a final fantasy player, never really got on with the series, don’t really like the aesthetics of the games (down to how the menus look and sound), never really like the way characters voices never seem to match how they look or how characters are always just seemingly lazy stereotypes (the clever one wears glasses etc). Played the original FF7 when it came out all those years ago and just stopped playing it as I found it tiresome. To date I’ve only played that, the FF7 remake on PS5 and just started FF15 in past couple of days.

So far, from what I’ve played, FF7 remake is the worst FF game I’ve played so far. Obviously I’m not a fan of the series and judging by the rest of the posts on here, literally no one else feels this way and I could possibly get lynched, but I just don’t get what all the fuss is about that game ( that’s just it I guess, I don’t get the FF thing at all). I was sooooo bored playing it. Hated the fight mechanics, hated all that mana crap, the story was boring, characters dull (the usual stereotyping and bad dialogue) and overall it was a game I really didn’t enjoy playing. I was never once engaged with any part of it.

Somebody posted above that if you aren’t that familiar with the FF series then XV wouldn’t seem so bad because the fighting mechanics are different and more akin to something like the Witcher. In that fans of the series didn’t enjoy it, but new players wouldn’t be aware of any changes and just enjoy the fluidity etc. I’m definitely in this camp. Not familiar with the series. Found the fighting system in FF7 remake really boring, time consuming and overly fussy. FFXV I can just fight enemies and as a non fan, I much prefer this. So good call @scemopagliaccioh, I make you right about that as I definitely fall into that group.

having said all that, there is something about the series that continues to hold my attention from afar despite my discomfort with the titles I’ve played. Its a bit weird. It’s like it’s a series of games I wish I did enjoy more, like I want to like playing them, I wish I understood them but I guess I’m just not cut from the FF appreciators cloth. I am liking XV so far (despite the usual dislike of the characters, dialogue,music etc), even though I’m very, very early into the game. But from what I’m reading on this thread, all this really indicates is that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to FF ( most ‘fans’ seem to think it’s the worst). And there no argument from me on that...I don’t.

Edited by PotrikBerger

53 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

Not a final fantasy player, never really got on with the series, don’t really like the aesthetics of the games (down to how the menus look and sound), never really like the way characters voices never seem to match how they look or how characters are always just seemingly lazy stereotypes (the clever one wears glasses etc). Played the original FF7 when it came out all those years ago and just stopped playing it as I found it tiresome. To date I’ve only played that, the FF7 remake on PS5 and just started FF15 in past couple of days.

So far, from what I’ve played, FF7 remake is the worst FF game I’ve played so far. Obviously I’m not a fan of the series and judging by the rest of the posts on here, literally no one else feels this way and I could possibly get lynched, but I just don’t get what all the fuss is about that game ( that’s just it I guess, I don’t get the FF thing at all). I was sooooo bored playing it. Hated the fight mechanics, hated all that mana crap, the story was boring, characters dull (the usual stereotyping and bad dialogue) and overall it was a game I really didn’t enjoy playing. I was never once engaged with any part of it.

Somebody posted above that if you aren’t that familiar with the FF series then XV wouldn’t seem so bad because the fighting mechanics are different and more akin to something like the Witcher. In that fans of the series didn’t enjoy it, but new players wouldn’t be aware of any changes and just enjoy the fluidity etc. I’m definitely in this camp. Not familiar with the series. Found the fighting system in FF7 remake really boring, time consuming and overly fussy. FFXV I can just fight enemies and as a non fan, I much prefer this. So good call @scemopagliaccioh, I make you right about that as I definitely fall into that group.

having said all that, there is something about the series that continues to hold my attention from afar despite my discomfort with the titles I’ve played. Its a bit weird. It’s like it’s a series of games I wish I did enjoy more, like I want to like playing them, I wish I understood them but I guess I’m just not cut from the FF appreciators cloth. I am liking XV so far (despite the usual dislike of the characters, dialogue,music etc), even though I’m very, very early into the game. But from what I’m reading on this thread, all this really indicates is that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to FF ( most ‘fans’ seem to think it’s the worst). And there no argument from me on that...I don’t.

A big thing about Final Fantasy is buying into the world, the characters, the music, the art design and the mystic of the world. If you can't connect with the game on that level, It kinda makes sense why you don't vibe with the games. There's just a special Final Fantasy "something" that is in the ones I have played (I suspect most/all), that's always intriged me and kept me enjoying them (mostly)

• Like 1

As someone who has played all the mainline titles, easily the worst Final Fantasy game is FF2. It's the only I gave up early into the game because of the weird leveling system.

A close 2nd worst despite being a game I enjoyed during my childhood is FF8. The drawing system which isn't balanced that can make the game hard or extremely easy depending on the amount of grind put in. The story plot holes that confused players to make theories to try make sense of it. The lack of personality from the supporting cast, probably the least popular characters of the series.

FF13 and FF15 are okay games but never really hooked me in like FF6-FF10 games did. FF7 is great, I wouldn't say its over rated but its definitely on the top like Square Enix seem to believe it is. I really like FF6 but it never really got treatment FF4 and FF7 with remakes, spin offs etc that it should of.

But that's just my thoughts.

I haven't played 15, so I didn't vote, but 13 is by far my least favorite FF game.

The compressed time (in universe) really hurts the characters. The events mostly take place over a short time period, so Hope's attitude is understandable in that sense, but when you're spending 30+ hours with him, he's rather unbearable. The battle system is uninteresting (not bad, just not engaging) and makes battles somehow even more of a chore than press X to win in some older FF titles. The almost total lack of ability to grind or sidequest until most of the way through the game, coupled with only a single region (gran pulse) for all the sidequests when you do get them, gives you almost no break from characters/story beats that range fom annoying to underwhelming. 

Someone mentioned upthread that they got the story after playing all 3 FF13 games. I haven't played 13-3 so I can't comment on the story making sense, but I will say that 13 was originally a standalone when announced, so needing 2 additional games to not hate the story isn't something I consider a positive. 

• 4 months later...
On 2020-06-24 at 0:23 PM, DaivRules said:

I have it on PSP release and I'd still say VIII is worse. 1f62c.png

Rereleases changed how it works. The original didn’t have leveling and if you increased a stat it was also paired with decreasing the opposing one. Which was also changed in re-releases. 

Original II is very awful. 

On 2021-05-13 at 8:29 PM, nudoetcrudo said:

Play the original which didn’t use leveling at all and which would decreased stats too. Then you’ll understand.

the modern versions are not representative of the original vision at all. I don’t think the PR even does but I’ve yet to play it myself, but just read an article on how it works and it doesn’t seem to have the leveling like gba/psp but does seem to still not decrease stats to balance things since it didn’t mention that at all.

iirc it’s basically like “oh you use magic? Well you won’t be needing strength so we’ll take that back”