First look: Box art for upcoming PS5 games

Aranea Highwind

30 minutes ago, Fearless0610 said:

Those look amazing. I wish they would go back to CD cases but it seems like plastic boxes are here to stay and the PS5 ones look nice but nothing special. I'm more impressed with the amount of detail on that Spidey suit. Graphics are going to be insane!

Much prefer the plastic boxes over CD cases.  More durable.

• Like 1

Personally, I think that it looks sharp with the white labeling and the blue case. Although I do agree with @LegacyJKO09 that it would be cool to see all games come with a awesome steelbook case instead of the usual plastic case.

59 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

Agree, that would be nice.

PqsoAuP.jpg

Now that looks pretty awesome having an all-black case with the white labeling. Shame that SONY isn't going with this case color combination, but the white/blue case isn't a bad option in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 2

Looks good enough for me. Don't think I could say anything wrong about the cases myself. :hmm:

The box art, on the other hand, it's just okay. I'd appreciate a bit more of background or actual art in the cover art itself rather than developers just slapping the main character on a cool pose. I mean, it gets the job done rather quickly and looks good, but it lacks a bit of soul at the same time too you know.

PlayStation wants to keep the blue branding I’m sure for marketing and branding purposes. Nintendo - red, Xbox - green, PS - blue. Blue better than the others imo. Keeping the blue may have also helped with keeping manufacturing costs down? Reusing same cases? I like it. I’ll continue to collect and add to my physical media collection. I’ll still opt for steelbooks for PS Exclusives when they become available though. Thinking more, I will try to collect both steelbook and regular box art for games. 

Edited by MrTrofyHunter
  • Like 2

I get that they wanna stay blue for brand recognition (like green = xbox, red = nintendo) but a black or white case would have been more fitting in my opinion if they really wanted to go the two-toned route for everything. Still looks ok though.

15 hours ago, Zenpai said:

These are fucking amazing. Did you do them yourself?

No, I did not. It was posted on Push Square a while back where some user made them. (S)he is not the only one though; a lot more people started creating these PSone-style cases for PS4 games and they all look awesome.

13 minutes ago, talespagni said:

Also, I find it extremely difficult for the physical products (only games, in this case) to cease to exist, as stopping it would mean also destroying a whole supply chain line with thousand of companies, jobs, etc around the world.

It certainly happened in the music industry.  No more record stores (Tower Records, etc.).  Even iTunes success was short-lived with everyone going to streaming.

Perhaps, gaming is different but I would imagine it gets there eventually.  Industries come and go all the time. Adaptation is the name of the game.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 3:02 AM, Keyser Soze said:

enjoy it while it last, probably the last gen with physical media.

As long as people keep buying then physical media will keep going. Limited run games is a great example of what collectors are willing to pay for a physical copy

I will keep supporting physical media until the end. Digital is more expensive for games anyway

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

As long as people keep buying then physical media will keep going. Limited run games is a great example of what collectors are willing to pay for a physical copy

I will keep supporting physical media until the end. Digital is more expensive for games anyway

I don't know man, I think PS6 is going to be streaming only, its heading that direction anyway.

9 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I don't know man, I think PS6 is going to be streaming only, its heading that direction anyway.

Most people dont have good enough internet to stream 4k Netflix etc (i cant even stream 1080P in consistently good quality). I dont think we are anywhere near streaming games becoming the normal. Doing so would eliminate a lot of the market.

• Like 1