these past couple of weeks, i've been honestly thinking about going to nintendo.

RJP_X

If the games you want aren't on Sony consoles and they're not as cheap as you want them to be, then by all means find the games you want to play at the prices you want to pay somewhere else.

As far as a "new" 2DS, it's probably worth the money if you're going to get the hours out of playing it to invest in a new one, as opposed to a used console. 1st party Nintendo sales have never gotten terribly cheap at retail sales, but the used physical market hasn't really let me down.

• Like 1

I totally see the appeal of a handheld that's a generation behind. It makes sense to switch to that platform, since about half their games are ports from other systems. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

i have been trophy hunting since 2012, nearing the 300 platinum milestone. 

in more recent years i have been becoming less of a fan of sony, this year in particular. when i was a kid years ago i grew up on a little of all gaming consoles, have very fond memories of many nintendo 1st party games as well like the mario's and zelda's. however, i first got my ps3 at the tail end of 2011, and a little into 2012 is when i began getting into trophies. there are some early years where i was more meh about it, and during the holidays of 2012 i got the 3DS. in all of that time since owning it i really didn't get many games for it or really got into it much due to the obsession with trophies.

as years have gone by, and especially the last couple, trophy hunting is becoming much less of an interest. also the fact i'm really not happy with how things are becoming with sony since becoming western based, between censorship, and also the way sales have been handled this year. i have found sales this year more depressing than any other year, barely to no vita or any kind of legacy console sale besides for junk games that are cross-buy. the same repetitive AAA western games on sale over and over again with a new sales title. don't much care for or ever liked much of sony's 1st party exclusive's since the ps3, like uncharted, god of war 4, horizon, ect. they all bored me. although i will say i liked the older god of war games.

i mostly stick around with sony yeah because of trophies, but also because of anime games as well. the one thing that also has turned me off about nintendo is the lack of sales, all their 1st party games remain the same in price for years, if not indefinitely. however been doing some thinking, since the 3DS was my least played system due to timing getting into trophies, been considering starting all over and getting a 'new' 2DS due to the fact it can play the whole library. and with that, also going back to my retro consoles which i still own all of them, they've been sitting in my closet for years. not even sure what works anymore, i remember years ago unfortunately one of my favorite SNES games, the super mario RPG having trouble remembering saves, and same thing on N64 the kirby game on that having issues as well. been really tempted to revisit so many old games and trying my hand at properly experiencing the 3DS on top of it.

yes i do want a switch done the line, at this point much more so than the ps5 which i have literally 0 interest in. however i know it would be a lot less affordable for me doing what i kinda have been planning. trophy hunting for me has been years i feel and believe have added onto my already stress, anxiety, and depression related issues. which i have always had bad and struggled with having aspergers and all, but feel like i've had a mental shift the past couple of weeks since i've taken up bike riding, something i haven't done in years but have been really enjoying, so i don't know if this mental hype i have been having is something i really want, due to new expenses, but also for the first time been feeling a genuine interest in a part time job, not the fact that i would like to work, but actually be able to afford things like the switch and games at the prices that they are at.

i know i wont be pursuing trophy hunting forever and will be moving on someday and honestly it would be an unnecessary stress to rid myself of, it certainly does a lot of impact on my psyche at times, while other times i enjoy it. i kind of just want to get away from playstation all together for these reasons, and my other disappointments as mentioned above.

i apologize as i didn't mean to get into this as much as i have, i would just like to get some thoughts from people. in particular with the 3DS, some recommendations, if i should grab a 'new' 2DS(i feel kind of rushed on this one, seems like all 3DS lines have been discontinued so its now or never. wondering if anything will still be available during the holidays) i'm also concerned with how well sales are and if you can get games for cheap. when i checked out psprices.com i was disappointed to see most 1st party games having one sale, like mario & luigi paper jam, or like dragon quest 7 and 8 only having ever had two sales. 

dude, if youre are getting burned out on sony, def go to Nintendo. I was a big only Nintendo fanboy before I got into sony consoles, they have tons of great games you're missing out on so you would be doing yourself a favor.

26 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

To answer your question on sales, Nintendo is kinda anti-consumer when it comes to its games. Generally speaking, first-party games hold their price and rarely go on sale, and when they do it's usually not big (there are exceptions). 

The 3DS line is discontinued and Nintendo is focusing on the Switch with a  new console likely in 2022. I have a 3DS, I only used it to play Pokemon games, but it felt like a good handheld with a good lineup. I just personally don't enjoy playing on a small screen, so I never branched out.

I also think going with Nintendo as your main console is extremely limited. You're essentially giving up access to most large AAA games or simply agree to play an extremely watered-down version (look at The Outer Worlds for comparisons) of them. I simply use my switch for their first-party games but only touch it once or twice a year.

I was once strictly Nintendo and loved it, a lot of the ports are fine on switch, some even better so I recommend he does if he is getting burned out

Not sure what sales have to do with anything. But I see exactly what you mean, especially on censorship. It's the main reason why I'm not getting a PS5. Rather have my games be less powerful and uncensored than be powerful and censored to please the NPCs. Before getting into PS4 I was always a Nintendo fan. And then the Wii U happened. However, when I got my Switch I sort of just fell in love with it. It's one of my favorite gaming consoles. I love the New Nintendo 3DS too! I play both my Switch and 3DS a lot so I think since you missed on some great 3DS games. Now, would be great to play them. Both Switch and 3DS have tons of great games! Take a break from Sony and don't come back into it until you have an interest again. 

• Like 2

I find a balance between games with and without trophies, including older PS2 and 1 games, to keep trophy hunting fresh and making it feel less like a chore or obligation. Definitely look into the 3DS library though. In my opinion, it has the second best library right behind the PS2.

I remember when I rushed to get about 24 platinums in 2 months so I could play a new game on release date and make it one of my platinum milestones. I barely had any enjoyment at that time. Only 4 out of 24 of those games I enjoyed fully, and 2 of them I already had most of the trophies for.

• Like 3

Why limit yourself to one brand/console/handheld whatever. Go explore Nintendo. What's the harm. Hope you find your happiness.

I play on multiple platforms myself so there's no issue picking up whatever game I find interesting at any time. 3DS however is my all time favorite console with its massive library of great games and exclusives. The hardware is nicely designed and durable (my current primary 3DS XL is going at its 7th year of nearly daily use and being carried around at -30°C - +30°C), the OS is nice, you can customize the home screen with themes and badges, and the dual screen design is really handy in many games. 

You have access to tons of JRPGs, high quality first party titles, exclusives from Square Enix, Capcom, Atlus, Sega, etc. Anyone who says "I'm not intested in Mario and Zelda games so I won't get a Nintendo console" (which I've heard quite often) clearly hasn't done their research. It's like saying I'm not getting a PS4 because I'm not interested in CoD and FIFA. 
The beauty of Nintendo games is in their exquisite quality, and how their value holds up. Buy a physical game and you get nearly the same price you paid for it when you want to sell it, sometimes even more. Recently I've found physical copies of 3DS games at 9.99 € as retailers are clearing out their storage. It's true Nintendo's own games rarely go on sale in the eShop (except via My Nintendo discounts) but Capcom is one publisher known to slash prices up to 80% off frequently. 

My game recommendations would go to Fire Emblem: AwakeningMetroid: Samus Returns, Pokémon Black 2 / Pokémon White 2Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Bravely Default, Persona Q, Etrian Odyssey V, Fantasy Life, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies. My backlog includes Shin Megami Tensei series, Dragon Quest series, remasters of the N64 Zelda titles, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, just to name a few.

Now's the time to get a 3DS / 2DS before they're all gone if you've been thinking about getting one. New 2DS should be a great choice if you don't care for the glasses free 3D.

• Like 1

I started with Nintendo with the gamecube then bought a wii then a wii u.

During the wii u era I tried to buy as many first party games as I could to support them during this time,

I bought a Switch for xenoblade 2 and currently Im a pc gamer with a PS4 Switch and PC

Nintendo is a great company but they are overrelying on ports this gen.

Edited by TTV_WorthyAdvice

I have both the PS4 Pro & the Nintendo Switch, and I play the PS4 95% of the time....Switch the other 5%. I do like having the Switch as a second console when I get burnt out on PS games & trophy hunting. I play Animal Crossing New Horizons & occasionally Splatoon2. Have also played Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, BotW & Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Otherwise, just not a big Nintendo fan.

The Switch is ok as a handheld but the drift with the Joycons is a big issue. I'm also on my fourth Pro Controller for the same reason. I understand the later controllers don't have as many issues but can't say for sure. 

Also, own the PS Vita/TV & the 3DS XL.

Just wanted to give you some perspective from someone who owns both consoles. If you like what you see in the Switch or DS eshop, go for it. It's a nice break from trophy burn out but I wouldn't remove myself from the PS4 completely. Why not have both? 

Either way have fun with whatever you decide.

Edited by sunnydaleAlumni
forgot to say...
  • Like 2

I got a 3DS XL when it came out and it was the same for me, I barely played it and only purchased the main Pokémon games.

There were a lot of games that I was interested in on that system but like you, I was too invested in trophy hunting and had an awful feeling that I was pretty much “wasting” my time playing in a 3DS when I could just keep getting some plats, right?

However, I think for the most part that was just due to the fact that I can’t get into handheld gaming that much anymore.

Last year I got a Nintendo Switch and it’s easily been my most played console since then.

I always play my Switch docked with a pro controller, I can’t bring myself to play it on handheld unless I’m playing something like Tetris 99 and I definitely don’t enjoy the joycons in any way at all, that’s why playing it on a TV with a pro controller totally makes it for me.

I think I found a pretty sweet spot  in my enjoyment with games, I still care about trophies and play a lot on my ps4 but I only play the games that I’m really interested in, I try my best to complete them and even if beforehand I know I won’t be getting the 100% that’s fine for me, I’ll still enjoy them.

But then I have my Switch which like I mentioned it’s my most played system currently, I’m pretty much purchasing all the big titles available there and even some games that are on ps4 I might just pick them for the switch because I feel like it’d suit  that console better, like the special edition of Dragon Quest XI.

Also, I realized even without having any achievements or trophies as a reward I find myself pretty much completing every game 100% just for the sake of it :D

So yeah, I couldn’t recommend you to get a Switch enough if you can afford it but if you’re fine with playing games on a 3DS you have a huge library to enjoy as well, problem is those games are getting harder to find and they are still pretty much full price.

Also, you don’t have to quit Sony or trophy hunting altogether, just give yourself some time exploring Nintendo or whatever you decide, just always try to have fun, of course :) 

Edited by iFraaN97

3DS is a nice change of pace with a great library. I think you just need a break from trophy hunting, maybe once the PS5 rolls around and gets a decent library you'll be more motivated to jump back in. Anyway for me the switch isn't really a great option because of drifting issues and lack of games that appeal to me (I'm more of a N64/SNES fan which is why I liked the 3DS).

My recommendation. Get a PSVR and Astro bot, this will give you a better disposition towards Sony and their first party output. Treat trophies as merely fun challenges and a museum of experiences. Do what I do and only purchase non VR PS4 games second hand then trade them in (my punishment to Sony for their horrendous censorship policy and should offset loses in not having VITA sales).

And if you really want a Ninty console just get a Switch ?‍♂️ You’ll be able to play the games that Sony censor or refuse to release 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

On 24/07/2020 at 3:51 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

I also think going with Nintendo as your main console is extremely limited. You're essentially giving up access to most large AAA games or simply agree to play an extremely watered-down version (look at The Outer Worlds for comparisons) of them. I simply use my switch for their first-party games but only touch it once or twice a year.

Not to tell OP their business, but I agree with this. I adore my Switch, as I think they have really good 1st party exclusives very different to Xbox and PlayStation, but I use it pretty much exclusively for Nintendo-only games (I suppose the same thing could be said for me with PS4, though, I'm an Xbox guy by and large). Anyway, I can't imagine too many people using Nintendo as their exclusive system, and if they do, they will potentially miss out on a LOT of games and the AAA's they don't will be very limited compared to other system counterparts.

RE: trophy hunting, that is such a personal thing. If you're bored perhaps make a different account and just don't worry about trophies. If you have a change of heart, you can then just go back to your 'main' account. 

I've kind of been doing the same thing as of late. I'm finding it hard to put in the effort for trophies, and my Nintendo consoles have been what I've been playing. I however, do plan on getting the ps5 so I think my problem is that I don't want to spend any more time or money on a console I'm going to be selling in a few months. I know it still has entertainment value, as I'm still kind of in isolation mode/working from home but I just can't convince myself I want to play my ps4 anymore. I'm also thinking of selling my PS3 and getting a PS2 instead because I love the games more and the fact there's no trophies. 

To add to this sea of "Screw Sony" threads, I've been feeling that way for a while now. I doubt the I would have noticed it anyway if no one told me the happenings going on. The slew of slightly lewd games on the PS4 was never going to last. I realized that most of my games are 3rd party titles that I can get on PC. Heck these past few years more and more JP devs have started to port their games to the Switch and PC. Even console only franchises are starting to move to PC (SRW, Disgaea, JRPGs) There isn't much reason for me to stick to only the console anymore.

The Switch does look nice but I'm hoping to get a cheap deal on a Vita and have a better handheld experience. The only game that's making me rethink is Maxi Boost On and Border Break but there's so many games from all the platforms it would take years for me to clear the backlog of games.

Trophy/achievement hunting never appealed to me imo. Never played games where trophies enhanced my enjoyment of a game. It feels more of a report card that devs can have to build their next game on. I've turned them off when I had the console and never looked back.

Edited by PredictableBeaco
Sentence Structure