PlayStation's new censorship making you move away from the brand?

The_Mighty_Ducks

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Disgaea 6 is still coming to PS4 in Japan, so I don’t think that example is about censorship. 

Isn't that because games in Japan aren't getting censored compared to the west? As far as I remember persona 5 royal had a scene changed on it's western release that is still in the Japanese version

13 minutes ago, xDerErnst said:

Isn't that because games in Japan aren't getting censored compared to the west? As far as I remember persona 5 royal had a scene changed on it's western release that is still in the Japanese version

No, Persona 5 Royal had a few alterations in all regions over the original Person 5. They removed a scene which could have been seen as homophobic. That was nothing to do with Sony, that was due to altering the game so different cultures can experience the same game without getting offended or raising issue with the narrative.

however, whenever a company does this, to make their games inclusive for everyone, the censorship police jump on it and treat it as if it's the worst thing in the world. They don't understand that Japan and their cultures/media is different to the west.

• Like 2

Just now, turniplord said:

whenever a company does this, to make their games inclusive for everyone, the censorship police jump on it and treat it as if it's the worst thing in the world. They don't understand that Japan and their cultures/media is different to the west.

I think it's fine when a developer decides to censor their game for other regions since it's their creation and they can do whatever they want with it. But I do see the issue when someone like sony is forcing censorship down their throat. Here in germany censorship was a huge issue regarding videogames back in the day and it makes me wonder how far sony for example might go with their decision going forward

• Like 1

honestly i'd only jump ship to say pc if alot of the devs who make the weeb games i like mostly went from PlayStation platforms. i was thinking about the switch but with some performance issues those ports get it really ain't worth it just for a little less steam at the hot tub when you game lags out when you do simple actions.

I'm not probably gonna get the Series X due to their Censorship, but I am going to get it first due to Sony's crap handling this last year of the PlayStation brand and their player base to be honest.

1 hour ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I'm actually curious.. 

What type of censorship would make everyone decide to move to another platform for 3rd party games?

Not really console based censorship but because it was all over the board I joined many other Vet players from Rainbow Six Siege in vetoing the game entirely when the game got censored due to Tencent / Foreign  pressure to make the game fit their "morality laws".

If someones countries laws impede them from doing, playing or seeing certain things that's fine that's their laws. But don't try to impose the same things for everyone else where those laws don't apply.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Disgaea 6 is still coming to PS4 in Japan, so I don’t think that example is about censorship. 

Oh I actually didn't know that. It's just that Nintendo on their store feed said "Disgaea 6 coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch" which why I assumed it was an exclusive.

14 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I'm actually curious.. 

What type of censorship would make everyone decide to move to another platform for 3rd party games?

To me, I guess blatant politcal appeasement like censoring the name Taiwan to please China. Also I think a noticable forced change of direction like for example if Mortal Kombat ever stopped doing gore and fatalities (I know they did stop for the Nintendo version back in the day and for DC vs Mortal Kombat) or Senran Kagura ever stopped doing pervy things. 

Edited by TheVader66

7 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I'm actually curious.. 

None.  I'd only move to another platform if my favorite games do.  But I also admit that censoring of fictional content doesn't really bother me as much as censoring things like what information I have access to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xDerErnst said:

Yes, western censorship doesn't stop Japanese devs to make Japanese PS4 versions of their games. The problem is with localized versions in most cases.

I don’t like censorship in most cases, but in some (oversexualization of young characters) I understand why it’s done and I’m largely fine with it. I just wish they’d always put a decent amount of effort into the censorship (often replacement outfits or added effects look quickly thrown together and it cheapens the game IMO. 

But this honestly doesn’t even make the list of things I’d boycott Sony over. The censorship would have to be considerably more ridiculous, similar to what NOA did to Fatal Frame 5-not only did they remove bonus outfits, but they significancy censored a scene that was a major part of the plot-which made the outcome of that scene make significantly less sense (won’t get into spoilers and haven’t played the game for myself anyway as I refused to buy a Wii U just to play a badly censored digital-only copy of it). 

Although the “digital-only” BS was the final nail in the coffin in that case, so to speak. If it’d been released physically I probably would’ve bought it and just dealt with the tone deaf story censorship. The costumes being removed didn’t bother me, since imo, they didn’t suit the tone of the series at all, and I likely would’ve never used them anyway. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

4 hours ago, Beliar4 said:

Artsy games? Why just go to museum!

Cooking Mama?! Are you stupid go to kitchen make yourself a breakfast!

You want to shoot something go to shooting range or try paintball why COD or battlefield?

You want to see ghoosts? Theres lunaparks around the world

Want to see some blood just fucking kill somebody, you end up in jail but you still can do it.

WHY WE EVEN PLAYING GAMES?

Sure why not!

54 minutes ago, Cal said:

Sure why not!

Do it!

Edit.

Btw. When you go to museum hope they censor the best stuff

Hope they ban knifes when you try make yourself a breakfast

Hope they ban guns so you can only throw pebbles at that shooting range 

Hope they censor spooky section at lunaparks. ;)

Edited by Beliar4
  • Like 1