PS4 system software update 8.00 launching today

Ghost

1 minute ago, Azaan60 said:

Stop spreading false info. 

https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5090404/sony-may-monitor-and-record-psn-voice-and-text-communications

They can and probably have been since 2013. 

Changing your "share my voice" settings won't change anything. It'll just stop your voice from being recorded in other peoples recordings. 

exactly 

24 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5090404/sony-may-monitor-and-record-psn-voice-and-text-communications

They can and probably have been since 2013. 

Changing your "share my voice" settings won't change anything. It'll just stop your voice from being recorded in other peoples recordings. 

Yes, they reserve the right to record you and monitor you. You agree to that in the TOS. I still stand by my previous statement, Sony is not monitoring your party chats, and I very, very, very seriously doubt they have a way to retrieve and review party recordings from the past if they are not sent to them by another user. You can say they 'Probably' are if you want, but that doesn't prove they are. I am well aware that they can, and never said they couldn't. I said they aren't.

If you are trying to use Playstation's social services for truly terrible things (Something that has allegedly happened before: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/11/14/why-the-paris-isis-terrorists-used-ps4-to-plan-attacks/#176dbf197055) and Sony somehow becomes aware of this, then I have no doubt that they will begin to monitor and record your activity, including parties. I also am sure that changing your setting will not help at that point. This is the purpose behind that portion of the TOS, not recording random gamers offending each other.

If you actually believe that Sony is recording and monitoring every single party that exists at any point in time on their platform, and banning anybody who happens to slightly offend another person, then you're dumb.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

But if you actually believe that Sony is recording every single party that exists at any point in time on their platform, and banning anybody who happens to slightly offend another person, then you're dumb.

That's not what I'm saying though lmfao. 

If someone reports you they'll pull up your recordings and investigate that. 

If you seriously think changing a minor setting is gonna stop Sony from doing what they specify in their TOS then you are delusional lol. 

I'm not saying that they're recording you 24/7. I'm saying that changing your voice sharing settings isn't gonna do anything to stop Sony from bring able to use your recordings if you get reported. 

34 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

If you seriously think changing a minor setting is gonna stop Sony from doing what they specify in their TOS then you are delusional lol. 

I already said in my previous comment that you don't seem to have completely read, that changing your setting will not prevent Sony themselves from recording you, if they decide to start doing so. They might decide to start monitoring you if you are trying to use Playstation's social service for truly terrible things, and in that case, the setting won't help.

But if you seriously believe that Sony has every party that has ever occurred on their platform recorded somewhere, so they can pull them up because some random dude reported some other random dude, then you're dumb.

I wonder if the new disclaimer has to do with PSN being an international service, and different states/countries having different laws around one-party vs. two-party consent in recordings. If I'm in a session with a Twitch streamer, and they record my voice and put it on Twitch, would Sony be liable for providing the recording platform? Or was the streamer supposed to notify me they were recording, like journalists do?

Seems like this is just a cover-their-butt, "FYI we can't guarantee the person on the other end isn't recording you" style statement. I guess this is what happens when people don't read the TOS!

40 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

I already said in my previous comment that you don't seem to have completely read, that changing your setting will not prevent Sony themselves from recording you, if they decide to do so. They might decide to start monitoring you if you are trying to use Playstation's social service for truly terrible things, and in that case, the setting won't help.

So then why are you telling people to change their voice sharing settings if you know it won't make a difference? lol.

Changing your voice sharing settings only affects whether your voice is heard in other players streams and video captures. It has nothing to do with whether Sony can or can't record you. 

40 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

But if you seriously believe that Sony has every party that has ever occurred on their platform recorded somewhere, so they can pull them up because some random dude reported some other random dude, then you're dumb.

Oh ffs. That is not what I'm saying. Read my comment. Of course they're not recording every party chat ever lmao. When did I say that? 

On Xbox when you are reported in Party Chat they make a save of the audio file and investigate that. That's literally what they do. They're not recording you 24/7. Only when you get reported. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/02/are-xbox-parties-recorded/?amp

You have to be extremely naive to think Sony isn't capable of doing the same. 

If Sony wants to, they can. Changing a minor setting won't do anything lmao. 

Edited by Azaan60

I think i found out how to make private party rooms again but with the friends list acting up i can't fully test it. For those who have the friends list working and wants to try to test my theory, all you have to do is make a message room, invite one friend, the friend leaves the message room and you will have an empty message room. Just use the empty message room as the party room and it should be private ( i don't know if it'll add anyone you invite to a party room to the message room i haven't test it out yet).

1 hour ago, Azaan60 said:

So then why are you telling people to change their voice sharing settings if you know it won't make a difference? lol.

Changing your voice sharing settings only affects whether your voice is heard in other players streams and video captures. It has nothing to do with whether Sony can or can't record you. 

The original message that started this, states that other users may record you, and submit that recording to Sony. Changing your voice sharing settings prevents this from happening. That is why I am telling people they can change that setting.

1 hour ago, Azaan60 said:

On Xbox when you are reported in Party Chat they make a save of the audio file and investigate that. That's literally what they do. They're not recording you 24/7. Only when you get reported. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/02/are-xbox-parties-recorded/?amp

That entire article seems to be basing all of it's information from this one statement made by microsoft:
"We occasionally review a low volume of voice recordings sent from one Xbox user to another when there are reports that a recording violated our terms of service and we need to investigate. This is done to keep the Xbox community safe and is clearly stated in our Xbox terms of service."

and this forum answer from a literal random internet person:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_gapp/are-xbox-live-party-chats-recorded/e5e7a1fb-5d28-4707-a0a7-aa936dc703da

That first source does not say that a retroactive recording is created and sent when the report is sent. I'll admit that it certainly says they have a way to access 'voice recordings' that have been reported. Is 'voice recording' referring to Parties or Voice Messages though? I'm inclined to think it is referring to voice messages, considering the microsoft rep referred to these 'recordings' being 'sent' from one user to another. Voice messages are sent and received, parties are not.

And the second source is completely idiotic, so I'm not even gonna address it.

That article provides 0 sources that claim Xbox receive a party recording with a report.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

No disrespect but... if you acknowledge they've probably been doing it since like 2013, then why does it bother you so much today in particular?  A 7 year delayed reaction is nothing to be too proud of.

In the past i believe you could opt out but now with the new update I believe that you can't opt out.  I believe you can opt out of your voice being shared for broadcasts.  Before i feel that if you opted out than you voice couldn't be recorded at all.  Maybe i'm wrong and i didn't realize the whole time either which way i don't agree with it.  Because i didn't or if I didn't know before doesn't mean i have to be in love with the idea now.  I agreed to the fact that they could listen in for safety reasons whether you opted out or not.    Of course people on here on going to argue no matter what you say about anything so ill just leave it at that.    I guess privacy doesn't exist and the fact people could care less is a problem.

Edited by steel6burgh

4 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

"You can now join parties even if there are members that you've blocked. When you join a party with a blocked member, or when a blocked member joins the party, you'll receive a notification." Well, isn't that fantastic?

This is actually one of the few good changes. You have no idea how easily abusive this feature was. There were several times alone where someone would block me or other random people in chats solely to limit the amount of people or have a better chance at "hooking up" with someone they were interested in the chat. There was just many ways to abuse this feature, so it needed to go.

2 hours ago, shai_sr12345 said:

Love the Jak & Daxter Ones.

One of my All-Time Favorite GAME Series of the Playstation.

2 of the 5 are old ones released 8yrs ago and are technically inferior versions. I'd say only 2 of the 3 new ones are good. Which one do you actually plan to use?

2 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Knack was all we truly needed

Nope.

32 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

In the past i believe you could opt out but now with the new update I believe that you can't opt out.  I believe you can opt out of your voice being shared for broadcasts.  Before i feel that if you opted out than you voice couldn't be recorded at all.  Maybe i'm wrong and i didn't realize the whole time either which way i don't agree with it.  Because i didn't or if I didn't know before doesn't mean i have to be in love with the idea now.  I agreed to the fact that they could listen in for safety reasons whether you opted out or not.    Of course people on here on going to argue no matter what you say about anything so ill just leave it at that.    I guess privacy doesn't exist and the fact people could care less is a problem.

I assume you don’t have an iPhone/Android then.  Or just wait until you find out what the FCC has access to.  The horrors!

This update nearly killed my PS4 got the code CE-34305-5 serious error code while updating wouldn't let me do anything with it not even connect a controller wirelessly or plugged in.

Managed to get safe mode booted up but none of the options did anything in the end got fed up with it and just switched it of at the wall.

Came back to it and luckily it decided to rebuild the hard drive automatically and then just left me with a blank background so I turnt it off again at the wall. 

Was then greeted with you didn't switch it off properly and scanned everything and my external and seems to be running more normal now but still with the problems everyones having with friends list etc. Just having to redownload updates for quite a few of my games again which I guess got corrupted.

Seriously wish I didn't update the system now after the hassle its given.

Not that they'll ever tell us but I'd laugh so hard if the reason the update is fucked is something to do with the trophy level changes that just rolled out. Also I find it strange that they haven't actually pulled the update when it seems like literally no-one is having any benefit from it.

Edited by jimbob12345678
  • Like 1