Games Like My Name is Mayo 2 Ruined The Value Of Platinums

Cloud_2049

On 17/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, Desomorphin said:

Let's say I have $20 and I spend a dollar on this.

Now I can't afford these 2 games that I'd like to buy and cost $10 each.

Is that easier to understand?

Ignoring what people have said about a single dollar being easy to come by and it not being the game's fault you chose to buy it, y'know you can just... buy the games at a later day, right?

Also, 99% of mobile games can be easily found for free, if you catch my drift. So maybe not the best comparison.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

I mostly use these types of games as sort of filler platinums in order to reach the next milestone quicker. There are so many good games I have planned as milestones and I don't want to waste them, if that makes sense. Sure not every game that's "worthy" of having a platinum is milestone material for me but I prefer not to invest too much time and money in those games then. It doesn't matter to me how many plats I got I just want the special ones to stick out.

Yea i do the same thing.  Im coming up on a milestone so im probably going to be doing it again real soon and i might start with mayo 2

1 minute ago, Burgins said:

platinums don't have any value hahaha. you can't use them as currency, they don't actually really mean anything. It's just a fun hobby to collect them

Facts.

3 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

How dare you? Even CyberPunk 2077 can't match the hype behind this sequel.

FACTS!!

If only platinum trophies could help me get a job... :(

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, PatinumNumemon said:

Why does anyone need a PS5 when you got MY NAME IS MAYO 2 ON PS4????? I can't wait to play this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Demon's Souls? TRASH! Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales? TRASH! Sackboy: A Big Adventure? TRASH! NONE of those games will EVER be as relevant as My Name Is Mayo 2!!! I honestly hope they release it on PS5 as well. Can you imagine the graphical increase and the ray tracing and all the other stuff on this game??? Already game of the decade. Calling it now.

The Haptic feedback, making you feel like you're really there tapping that Mayo jar. The PS5 was BUILT for this

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylansko said:

The Haptic feedback, making you feel like you're really there tapping that Mayo jar. The PS5 was BUILT for this

I'm skeptical. I know the PS5 is powerful but I'm not sure it can handle the capabilities of this game. My name is Mayo 2 is this generation's Crysis.

12 minutes ago, Burgins said:

platinums don't have any value hahaha. you can't use them as currency, they don't actually really mean anything. It's just a fun hobby to collect them

People say things like this, but then have their trophy cards on their posts as if they're proud of them or want to compete with others. Sony reinforces trophies having value by providing a visual number of trophies and a corresponding level, which people can compare with others or use for self-fulfillment. 

I agree that the value/meaning of platinums (whatever that may be) has been diminished due to games like this. At the end of the day though, I personally play the games I want and find my own meaning in trophies. 

If trophies didn't mean anything, none of us would be here having this discussion.

• Like 3

Yes and no, while people can raise their platinum number with garbage games like this it’s easy to look at someone’s trophies and see if it’s actually an achievement. If I look at someone’s account and I see anything with the crossword series. I basically just disregard it. It’s the specific platinums that are impressive. If someone has 50 plats and 30 crossword games the person with 15 and dark souls, BO4, cuphead, Crash, etc obviously the person with 50 plays just looks pathetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overdrive02 said:

ffs everyone lighten up they made this game for us to have some fun in these trying times were everyone is stuck at home, just cos it is an easy plat does not take away from other plats if you don't want to play the game don't buy it

No, the game was made to pull in a profit from those who want an inflated trophy score. The same reason the other company publishes the same quick game on so many platforms so stacking trophy lists. Game developers are required to have a min number of trophies to release on the PSN plat for, but these games aim to maximize the points you can get.

The fact that plats are worth x points and that those points are weighted higher than a bronze, silver, or gold trophy give a platinum trophy more value. Then it has subjective value based on time invested or difficulty depending on the person.  Having something so far on the easy/quick spectrum is going to make those who feel more invested in difficult devalue their platinum because they're worth the same amount of points.  The fact that it exists already devalues it. It's like you pay and invest 4 years to graduate a prestigious university and then apply to a great job but lose out to a 12 year old because they won a coin toss.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Plague_Dominate said:

I would like to see this game come out with no trophies whatsoever and see how many people really fuck with this “fun game” that people claim it is. Literally almost any other game is better honestly. 

May I "recommend" Little Adventure on Praire or Orc Slayer?

I'm really not trying to be nasty and as much as this sounds awful the truth is, Is this even an opinion? Looking at your list you never really "valued" platinum trophies anyway - at time of writing you have 533 Games played to 79 Completed games, plus as someone else pointed out you have Mayo on your list ?.

I usually make fun of people with Mayo on there list, just for the jest in it, it's all light hearted fun. Personally, I love collecting trophies and I don't see how this devalues anything purely based on the fact that its optional to buy or play this.

37 minutes ago, Burgins said:

The reason they don't is because of a lack of standardization though. Sony has tried a reward program using plats before among other things in the past.

2 hours ago, dawnofthedead34 said:

Oh man, you’re so cool because you don’t platinum “those” kinds of games. But you’re currently working on hitman go. 1f602.png

Funny thing is, most people arguing over this are grown men. 

What's the connection? Hitman GO is a fun puzzler with a real purpose to play. Can we say the same about My Name is Mayo?

• Like 1

Well my first platinum on my account currently was the first mayo game and it was kinda like a reminder that I started with a really easy accomplishment that I was going to try and do harder platinums over time... well cut to today and I just play/platinum whatever tf I want and this thread has convinced me my 100th platinum will no longer be Bloodborne or God of War (2018) instead I will close the loop and make it Mayo 2 ;) p.s. who really cares what other people do with their free time like holy shit learn to cut loose and let people live their life but anyway this thread was a fun laugh so long!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, overdrive02 said:

ffs everyone lighten up they made this game for us to have some fun in these trying times were everyone is stuck at home, just cos it is an easy plat does not take away from other plats if you don't want to play the game don't buy it

I totally agree. Literally who cares about the value of a platinum? I play tough games, I play 15 min plats and I play 150 hour plats sometimes. Everyone knows the difference. I respect a platinum even if we know not all platinums are created equal. 

• Like 4