Your Personal "Game Of the year" 2020 awards

arsenal4life1471

Game of the year:

Nioh 2

I like souls games, I like RPG’s I like getting overpowered. This game had it all for me. Also recently got both dlc 100%

Platinum of the year

Red Dead Redemption 2

While playing I got annoyed a lot with all the heavy bullshit to get this platinum but after months past and looking back at this platinum it was an amazing journey and such a great open world game. It really felt alive.

Backlog platinum of the Year

Dragonball FighterZ

fuck this horrible piece of shit game! But really happy I grinded 15+ hours a day for a week long to get the 20 mil zeni trophy. My hardest grind I’ve ever done in a game

I haven't played a lot of 2020 releases so far this year, and only just started Persona 5 Royal yesterday so...

My Game Of the Year (2020 release): Final Fantasy 7 Remake

My Backlog Game of the Year (pre-2020 release, not played before): Cities: Skylines

My Platinum Of the Year (Game that Released in 2020): N/A at the moment, but I WILL get the Persona 5 Royal platinum so I'll just put that in now.

My Favourite Backlog Platinum Done (pre-2020 release, revisited to finish platinum): The Outer Worlds

My Favourite Backlog Platinum Done (pre-2020 release, not played before and now have the platinum): Cities: Skylines

Game of the year: Final Fantasy VII Remake
The combination of nostalgia and hype was always going to make this a game I was looking forward to. With that, there was always a danger that it wouldn't live up to it. Luckily, it did and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Came out at a particularly stressful time (UK going into lockdown, being part of a business that had to stay open but with half the staff furloughed) and I genuinely think that coming home to play this really helped me through it.

Backlog game of the year: Devil May Cry 5
God of War might have taken this but I first played it in the final few days of 2019. Out of everything else, DMC provided the most enjoyment. I'm nowhere near good enough to complete it on the harder difficulties but that still doesn't take away from the experience I had.

Platinum of the year: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Set a goal for this to be my 100th platinum as well as trophy number 7777. Took buying some cheap, easy platinum games and meticulous planning on an excel spreadsheet but I did it.  

Backlog plat of the year: Resogun
Again, God of War comes close but this is a game I'd been playing for years and never thought I'd be good enough at it to get the platinum. Cue several tense playthroughs this year and I got it.

• Like 3

My Game Of the Year 2020                                                           

Kingdom Hearts Melody of memory- I haven't bought many releases this year so not much to choose from, but I do love KH. 

My Backlog Game of the Year (Games  you have bought this year but not released this year do count for this one)

Detroit become human, I really enjoyed this game and the story. It wa sin my backlog for a long time since it came on PS Plus free, so I finally got around to playing it. 

My Platinum Of the Year (Game that Released in 2020)               

None, I didn't plat any 2020 releases as all my games are released before then

My Favourite Backlog Platinum Done (Games you have bought this year but not released this year do count for this one)

Kingdom Hearts 3, it was a tough enough platinum with all the mini games. I bought it earlier this year and platinumed it during the first covid lockdown when I had nothing else to do. 

• Like 2

Released in 2020: The Last of Us, Part II. It's actually the only current year game I've played thus far, so it wins by default. A pretty good third-person shooter/horror title, though! Most of all, I appreciated the many risks taken with the narrative—very reminiscent of how divisive MGS2 and Raiden were, at the time that game released.

Older stuff: Hollow Knight, by far! l wrote my detailed thoughts on it here. Seldom does a game rise so close to perfection as this one did. Thanks PS Plus, for finally making me play it!

Honorable mentions: Dishonored 2, Hitman seasons 1 & 2, Blasphemous.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate
  • Like 1

2020 wasn't a very "interesting" year for me game-wise, so AC Valhalla wins by default. Haven't played anything else, but I believe Nioh 2 would have been another fantastic choice. 

As for platinum of the year, Super Street Fighter IV hands down, because that one was my target for a long time. This one counts for Backlog too.

My game of the year would be Dreams with The Last of Us Part 2 being a very close second both great games! My platinum of the year would be Doom Eternal because I managed to get the plat before the multiplayer died, and my backlog platinum would be Death Stranding because I genuinely felt like I deserved that plat after what the game puts your through. 

12 hours ago, arsenal4life1471 said:

all memes aside is it a good game (generally want to know). I haven't got around to trying it yet

Yeah I actually really like it. It's a bit wacky but it has tons of charm and I really like the soundtrack. Haven't finished the story yet but it seems pretty good so far.

• Like 2

Game of the Year: Final Fantasy VII Remake (very close Runner-up: The Last of Us Part II)

Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II

Best Performance: Laura Bailey as 'Abby' in The Last of Us Part II

Best Indie: Hades

Best World: Ghost of Tsushima

Best Soundtrack: Doom Eternal

Game of the Generation: God of War

• Like 1

Game of the Year 2020: Final Fantasy VII Remake - While it's a remake, it was by far the most memorable and amazing experience I've had this year. Ghost of Tsushima is a close second.

Backlog of Game of the year: Persona 3 FES - Kind of ashamed that I dropped it years ago when I was close to the end but I'm happy that I came back and beat it, loved the ending. 

Favorite Backlog Platinum: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - I wasn't interested in platting the game at first but I was so in love with the game's story, combat, world, and music to the point where I just said "This game deserves the platinum". That and the plat itself wasn't overly grindy or anything.

• Like 1

Game of The Year:

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (Hope to platinum it sometime before the end of this year, though)

Backlog Game of The Year:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Super Mario Odyssey if we're also counting games that aren't on PlayStation 4)

Platinum of The Year:

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom Rehydrated (It's a remake of an older game, sure, but it was still quite a bit of fun all the same)

Backlog Platinum of The Year:

CTR: Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

(Was really happy to get this one out of the way, as it was one of the more challenging platinum's for me for a game I put way more time into than I thought I would lol)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Game of the Year

Curious Expedition

This game reminded me of days past playing games like the Oregon Trail. Graphically I love a good pixel game, but I also found it was highly replayable, with enough branching possibilities to keep it interesting. And all the ways you can die keep you thinking ahead.

Backlog of the Year

Rogue Galaxy

I had beat this Completely on the Ps2, many hours there, and even though the graphics were pretty much the same, I enjoyed seeing the growth of Jaster and company. A solid RPG.

Platinum of the Year

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

(Should have this tomorrow)

I didn't have much to choose from for this year releases. I played some Ratalaika games but wouldn't say they came at all close to games like Beyond Blue and some of the more fleshed out games I played. Good experience and there's something about loading a Spiderman game and just cruising through the city effortlessly.

Backlog Platinum of the Year

Young Justice

This was actually my first Ps3 exclusive plat ever. I used to like watching the justice league cartoons but had never watched this series. The game was challenging in parts especially trying to get A grades for the Black Canary challenges so it felt rewarding.

And the platinum that started it all: Chroma Squad.

Game of the Year                                                                                                                                      My Backlog Game of the Year (Games  you have bought this year but not released this year do count for this one)

Persona 5 Royal or Ghost of Tsushima if you don't count P5R as a new game                                    Donut Country?

My Platinum Of the Year (Game that Released in 2020)               My Favourite Backlog Platinum Done (Games  you have bought this year but not released this year do count for this one)

Astro's Playroom                                                                            Persona 4 Golden (I'm still working on it but I'm getting closer)

I have a weird little list this year. I did not get many big platinums this year but I hope the ps5 can change that. 

• Like 1

Game of the Year 2020 - I've only played a very small number of 2020 releases so far, too early into Valhalla to make that judgement and Watch Dogs Legion absolutely is not worthy. I would say Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered but its essentially a 2010 game that's been very slightly tweaked lol, but I suppose that's the only option I have as it is definitely better than Project Cars 3. I haven't played any of this year's PS exclusives yet which I imagine are much more worthy winners of such a title but it would be unfair of me to judge them.

My backlog game of the year - This year I got both Assassins Creed Origins and Assassins Creed Odyssey done, whilst I loved Origins, I think Assassins Creed Odyssey added to the formula perfectly, with nice additions such as the mercenaries system, cultist system, upgrading your own ship and a little bit of choice here and there in quests with the dialogue stuff. I know Odyssey isn't the most popular AC title but I for one thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a fantastic game.

My Platinum of the Year (2020) - Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered - I love racing games and this one is no exception, managed to be the third ever platinum achiever for the EU stack and the first 100% completion for the EU stack as well, very fun and pretty straightforward but a good amount of content.

My backlog platinum of the year - Probably have to give it to Assassins Creed Odyssey again, played 100 hours in six weeks and enjoyed every minute of it, was a good trophy list that whilst it had plenty to do never felt ridiculous. Honourable mentions to Bully which was a great throwback to a time I was younger and Horizon Chase Turbo which was a lovely retro arcade racing game that I'm genuinely surprised has such a low completion percentage. Technically these two honourable mentions were games I started before 2020, but with very minimal progress and did the vast majority of stuff this year, only got into this trophy stuff earlier this year during the first lockdown but I know there will be many more to come!

This is my list.

Game of the year- The Last of Us Part 2

Backlog game of the year - Probably going to be Kingdom Hearts 2

Plat of the year - I haven't got the plat for anything that's come out this year because i'm saving The Last of Us Part 2 for Plat number 50

Backlog plat of the year - I'm going to have 4 for this one

1) The Last of Us Remastered

2) Gravity Rush 2 I only have a few things left to finish on it and I decided to go back and finish it last month and it's just such a fantastic game.

3) Star Wars Battlefront 2 even though I completed most of the trophies last year I only unlocked the plat in Jan this year.

4) Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuled because I never thought I'd do it when I first bought it last year.

Also going to throw in a guilty pleasure award and it goes to Marvel's Avengers