What are your thoughts in this years PS Plus lineup?

Jake-TheGreat97

With December's free games coming out a few days ago I wonder what you all thought this years free game lineup. Here are my thoughts.

Jan: Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection and Goat Simulator  

I thought this was a good start to the year. I never played the Nathan Drake Collection when it first came out because I already played the Uncharted trilogy multiple times on the PS3. Overall I think that these games still hold up, especially the first game with all of its improvements from the PS3. Out of the three games I still think Among Thieves is the best game, but like I said before these games hold up. It was also nice to earn three platinums as well. As for Goat Simulator, I already played that game back in 2016, From what I remember the game was just fine as a joke game.

Feb: The BioShock Collection and The Sims 4

This was my favorite month, similar to how June 2019 was my favorite month when Borderlands The Handsome Collection was given out. On PS3 I played the original BioShock, but never finished it, never played BioShock 2, and played and beat Bioshock Infinite, however I never played the Burial at Sea DLC. After playing the collection I think the original game is the best of the bunch. I also really liked BioShock 2 as well. As for BioShock Infinite, after replaying the game again on the collection, while I still like it, I don't think it's nearly as good as the first two games. As for The Sims 4, I never bothered downloading it, The Bioshock Collection was good enough for me.

Mar: Shadow of the Colossus and Sonic Forces

Another solid month. I played the HD remaster of Shadow of the Colossus on PS3 back in 2011 so I never bothered with the PS4 remake until it was free on PS Plus. I enjoyed the game just as much as I did back on PS3, maybe even more. It's easily my favorite of the three Team ICO games. As for Sonic Forces, similar to the Sims 4 I never bothered downloading the game.

Apr: Uncharted 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0

If I'm being honest this wasn't one of the betters months. While Uncharted 4 is awesome and personal favorite Uncharted game, I already played the game years ago as I assume many others. As for Dirt Rally, I tried it out for a bit, didn't really like it, and deleted it when I saw that the game took up 80GB of space.

May: Cities Skylines and Farming Simulator 2019

Easily the worst month. I tried out Cities Skylines because I thought that game might be fun and while the game isn't terrible, you can tell that it's meant to be played on a PC. As for Farming Simulator, I didn't play it.

Jun: Call of Duty WWII and Star Wars Battlefront II 

One of the rare months where I actually try out both games. I really enjoyed COD WWII. I know that there are some COD fans that aren't the biggest fans of this game, but as someone who is just a casual fan I found this game to be enjoyable. I even got prestige in multiplayer, which is something that I've never done in before in COD. As for Battlefront, it was fine but nothing special. Although from what I hear the game is much better than the mess that was released back in 2017 so there's that.

Jul: Rise of the Tomb Raider, NBA 2K20 and Erica

I'm gonna be honest, I kinda wished Shadow of the Tomb Raider was offered this month instead because I haven't played that game yet and I already played Shadow back in 2017. As for my thoughts on Shadow, I remember thinking that it was a good game, but nowhere near as good as the 2013 game. I don't play sports games so I didn't bother with NBA. I tried Erica but after less than a half hour I decided that the game was not for me.

Aug: MW2 Remastered and Fall Guys

I had a feeling MW2 Remastered was going to be free on PS Plus one day because MW1 was as well. However, I didn't expect it to happen only a few months after the game came out. Overall I enjoyed replaying this game for the first time in 9 years. However, I don't think that the campaign is as good as MW1. As for Fall Guys, while I know that this game was super popular, I just couldn't see what all the hype was about and stopped playing after a few hours.

Sep: Street Fighter V and and PUBG

I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed STV. I remember playing Street Fighter IV back in 2011 and not really enjoying it and preferring other games live MVC3. However, STV was a lot of fun with week or so that I played it. Birdie was my main and I enjoyed playing many rounds online. After about a week or so I moved on to the games but I still enjoyed my time with SFV. As for PUBG, I don't like Battle Royal Games so I had no interest in playing this game.

Oct: Need for Speed Payback and Vampyr 

I never got around to play any of these  games because I got distracted with other games. I added both of these games to my library like an hour before November's games went live, but I doubt I'll ever get around to them.

Nov: Shadow of War, Hollow Knight, and Bugsnax (PS5)

I was looking forward to playing Shadow of War because I remember really enjoying the first game when I played it in 2015. However, for some reason I found Shadow of War to be really boring. Maybe I'll go back to it eventually but as of Right now I don't see that happening. I added Hollow Knight to my library but I haven't played it yet although I heard that it's good. I don't have a PS5 yet because there kind of sold out at the moment, although I did add it to my library via the PS Store website so I'll be able to play when I eventually manage to get a PS5.

Dec: Just Cause 4, Worms Rumble, and Rocket Arena

And now we make it to the end of the year. The only game that I had any interest in was Just Cause 4. I purposely waited until this game was on plus because I had no interest in buying it because it didn't look as good as Just Cause 3. So far I've played every little of the game and so far I'm not impressed. I'll try to play some more of it but with Cyberpunk coming out in just a few days, it will probably end up like Shadow of War.

Overall I think there was a decent selection of games this year, especially at the start. However, one thing that I noticed this year was that I cared more about the various sales than I did the free games lineup. I'm curious what the free games lineup will look like in the future with PS5 and the new PS Plus Collection.  

Edited by Jake-TheGreat97
  • Like 3

Hmm, 8/15 games I had already bought myself. I guess it wasn't too bad.
Hopefully 2021 will be better with PS5 games to be included in the list but I won't have my expectations up.

Thought this year's lineup was pretty good overall.  There were some games that I had no interest in, of course, but most of the games were quite good.  I already owned the Uncharted series, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Erica and Just Cause 4.  I added the BioShock trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus, Cities, COD: MW2, SFV and Worms Rumble to my list, so at least my backlog didn't get too many extra games added to it.

The likes of Goat Simulator, The Sims, NBA and PUBG held no interest for me.

So, overall, I'm fairly pleased with this year's offerings.

Pretty good. I played:

• All of the ND Collection
  • Bioshock
  • DiRT Rally 2.0
  • Erica
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered
  • Fall Guys
  • Need for Speed Payback

I also have Bugsnax waiting for me when my PS5 arrives, a couple of games I've yet to play included in the PS+ Collection, as well as Hollow Knight and Shadow of War on standby if I run out of stuff to play.

Im more than satisfied with my subscription. It's paid for itself and then some, not just with the games given for free, but also with the money I've saved in sales too. I'll be renewing again at the start of the year. It would nice if more of the 'bigger' titles this year weren't games I'd already played, but also realise the more games I play the more unlikely that becomes.

Edited by EIdain

I don't care really. Most games are basically ones I've already played like Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection and ones I'm not interested in at all, such as DIRT 2.0. With the exception of a few, I usually skip most PS Plus titles. The only reasons I keep my PS Plus subscription is to access PS Plus games I've added over the years, like Detroit: Become Human that I still haven't played, and of course to be able to play online, which I really only do anymore for boosting trophies.

Overall I thought this year was pretty decent for most months. There were some amazing titles given throughout the year, although I personally already had some of the ones I would have been interested in. But in saying that, I've got a fair bit out of it this year - I've got to play Dirt Rally 2.0, NBA 2K20 and Fall Guys, and there are quite a few I've added to the backlog that I want to play as well.

I think May was by far the worst month, and April was probably the best lineup (even though I already own Uncharted 4).

I cant deny that this year has mainly felt poor value. 

The few games i liked, i already had played or were in backlog, (Bioshock, SF5) or were dirt cheap anyway (Shadow of War, Vampyr).

Fall Guys was fun for about 2/3 weeks but it got boring.

The rest simply didnt do it for me. I dont play online too often so it is up for debate keeping my subscription. I probably will but im hoping for a better psplus year 2021 certainly. 

Edited by punkshepherd

4 hours ago, Jake-TheGreat97 said:

Jan: Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection and Goat Simulator  

Feb: The BioShock Collection and The Sims 4

Mar: Shadow of the Colossus and Sonic Forces

Apr: Uncharted 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0

May: Cities Skylines and Farming Simulator 2019

Jun: Call of Duty WWII and Star Wars Battlefront II 

Jul: Rise of the Tomb Raider, NBA 2K20 and Erica

Aug: MW2 Remastered and Fall Guys

Sep: Street Fighter V and and PUBG

Oct: Need for Speed Payback and Vampyr 

Nov: Shadow of War, Hollow Knight, and Bugsnax (PS5)

Dec: Just Cause 4, Worms Rumble, and Rocket Arena

Out of the above...

Already owned (no thanks to PS+):

Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection (100% everything, also previously platinumed all three on PS3),

The BioShock Collection (100% the first game with others waiting for its turn),

Uncharted 4 (platinumed but not exactly enjoyed. it's OK, I guess),

Vampyr (in my backlog),

Hollow Knight (started it, liked it but it somehow went into the backlog, planning to get a physical copy then play the hell out of it).

Put into my library:

Shadow of the Colossus (finished and disliked the PS2 game, skipped the PS3 remaster for that very reason but left the possibility open for its remake out of pure scientific curiosity),

Rise of the Tomb Rider (generally don't care for Tomb Rider series, plus I tried to get into reboot and disliked it but due to the positive word of mouth from friends with somewhat similar tastes left the possibility open),

Shadow of War (this one didn't feel right from its announcement for me to buy but since I own the first game and might enjoy it enough to give its sequel a chance...)

Actually played (thanks to PS+):

Erica (I don't mind FMV games whatsoever but I regreted starting this piece of crap on my main account. Pretentious, shallow reject of a movie that I had to play more times than it worth. Thankfully I didn't have to suffer through it alone and had someone to talk to via shareplay. *sigh*)

As for everything else:

Aside from Street Fighter V (which I'm actively avoiding being both SF and Capcom fan in general) I didn't care for the rest to even bother my digital library with it

Edited by VegaMan-X4

I find PS Now a better deal than Plus, specially taking the overlap between both offerings into account. Besides that, I can't complain much, I received some games that I could've bought with a discount and some others that I wouldn't play otherwise.

The trouble its a lot of people buy every game going (that they are interested in) when the sales come up, especially AAA games, then moan when it becomes free on ps plus but i digress.

For me this year has been pretty decent year despite owning a few that came up (You don't hear me whinging just the luck of the draw).

I personally played/put in the library the following
THe sims 4 (For the easy Platinum)

bioshock collection (Put in the library not sure it i will ever play)

dirt rally 2.0 (in the library but have'nt played yet)

cities skyline (Played it, it was shit)

nba 2k20 (It was good my bro played more than i did)

mw2 remastered (In Library)

Fall guys (Played to death for about 2 weeks then it got old)

nfs payback (IN the library)

Bugsnax (In the library i might play this soon possible before xmas)

Just cause 4 (In library i never played a just cause game and missed just cause 3 when it was free a few years back)

Worms rumble (Gonna Play a few matches one day)
Rocket Arena  (ditto)

A few games i had already that i would have downloaded but already had them
Rise of the tomb raider

uncharted 4

People are forgetting the ps plus collection itself is a great deal and i am currently playing days gone atm from it:)

BUT again with my first point you don't need to buy every bloody game if its in the sale especially if its only going to sit and rot in your backlog besides by the time you may play it it would have probs been free on ps plus lol but each to their own.

i've played most the stuff i wanted on there like uncharted games over the years and bioshock

hollow knight i tried before and didn't really like it or it just didn't click is the better way of saying.

vampyr and shadow of war are two game i did wanna try but not spending money on kinda deal. they where pretty good as apart of plus.

while i renewed my plus so i can get stuff like savings and online back up saves and all that i went with ps now for games as there's just more stuff i'm either interested in already there or they add new stuff that is something i have an interest in or looks cool.

4 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Needed more Indies. I'd sooner not have AAA games on plus as I've either already purchased them or have zero interest in them. It's best for me when I get a game I would of otherwise missed out on

Hard agree. This War of mine to this day is still my favourite plus title I've ever gotten. Sadly, a lot disagree with that statement. It's either triple A or nothing for most.

• Like 1