Introducing the next generation of VR on PlayStation

Aranea Highwind

If VR 2 is PS5 only, this might bode well for a price drop on VR 1 and continue to offer two VR solutions for Playstation gamers. That would help further VR adoption and give gamers a less expensive option to get into VR gaming.

Excited to see what Sony does with the second generation of VR hardware and the capabilities of the PS5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aranea Highwind said:

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience. 

This is the only thing i want from VR2. SO annoying to hook up/put away and cables just get in the way

Fuck yeah!!!!! Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2 at release please!

Really needed those better controllers. Hopefully with inside out tracking.

35 minutes ago, BlackCatBurrito said:

Still having a cable is very disappointing, it completely holds back the device but better quality VR on Playstation is only a win. 

No it’s fantastic news. It means it’ll be using the power of ps5 with no lag, and no need for expensive on board processors. Also implies no breakout box.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 4

Wow where as 4 years gone. I thought that vr2 was gonna be wireless unless that was just pure rumour. 

Hopefully they support the current vr a bit longer but im afrad they wont due to the fact its not compatable with ps5 unless you use a special adapter.

Hopefully vr2 will have a bigger choice of games and some freebees on plus in the future. 

I have always been excited about the future of vr. Even tho the current vr was mind blowing, its got so much more potential

Just one cable is a dream. I can’t bring myself to set up vr on my ps5 because of all the cables and with ps5 taking up more space having to fit in that processor unit. 

if it was wireless it would be more expensive and I’m sure they want to keep it an affordable option plus there are advantages to a cable as has been mentioned about lag.

Awesome!

A new silly hat for me to not buy, and to lock out a few more ?%’s behind a £400 paywall in real games that have a tacked-on, 5minute VR mode

???

I like to try and be positive about things on here, but this does seem like flogging a dead horse.

I mean, good for those still hanging on the the VR dream I guess, but I fear that ship sailed some time ago...

...if even a new Half Life can’t coax out a bigger audience for VR, i’m not sure what can. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Good to see Sony still supporting VR. As a VR owner, I'm excited to see how it evolves. Hoping that PSVR 1 will still be supported though even after it's released.

I'm not even going to think about how PSVR2 games will be tagged ? hopefully just VR2 and still account on the VR leaderboards and not separated like PS5 and PS4 are LOL. Nice to see you in this thread though!

44 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Hopefully they support the current vr a bit longer but im afrad they wont due to the fact its not compatable with ps5 unless you use a special adapter.

There are many new titles still being release on the PSVR this year, and last year there were a lot of good ones released 

Edited by MikeCheck--

55 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

I'm not even going to think about how PSVR2 games will be tagged 1f605.png hopefully just VR2 and still account on the VR leaderboards and not separated like PS5 and PS4 are LOL. Nice to see you in this thread though!

There are many new titles still being release on the PSVR this year, and last year there were a lot of good ones released 

It'll probably get the same VR tag (a combined VR leaderboard) unless Sony starts tagging them. 

We got plenty of time to figure it out though. Nothing set in stone! Haha. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackCatBurrito said:

Still having a cable is very disappointing, it completely holds back the device but better quality VR on Playstation is only a win. 

If they had a wireless option I'd want there to be a wired one as well - the wire is not that big a deal; and it's definitely worth being able to binge Skyrim VR for hours on end. I can't imagine the headset would be nearly as efficient or lightweight with relying on battery power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It'll probably get the same VR tag (a combined VR leaderboard) unless Sony starts tagging them. 

We got plenty of time to figure it out though. Nothing set in stone! Haha. 1f61b.png

Makes sense! Right now it’s “PS4, VR”. I suppose for next gen it’ll be “PS5, VR.”

Even if backwards compatibility works, that would fall under “PS4, VR.” Thanks for the input ?

Excited to see this! I have yet to purchase a VR set but will wait until the next version officially comes out now. Was in no hurry to get one and was late to the party when they first came out. Nice to see that Sony will continue to invest in the VR gaming medium. 

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

If VR 2 is PS5 only, this might bode well for a price drop on VR 1 and continue to offer two VR solutions for Playstation gamers. That would help further VR adoption and give gamers a less expensive option to get into VR gaming.

Excited to see what Sony does with the second generation of VR hardware and the capabilities of the PS5.

I have a feeling it will be PS5-only, as it will probably need the horsepower and other features of the PS5.

I really hope PS4 VR gets a big price drop as well, around $200 or so for a bundle. I've wanted PS VR for over a year now, but I can't justify the price relative to how much I'll get out of it.

• 3 weeks later...