Will We Ever Stop trophy Hunting?

Gotakibono

Can you ever yourself winding down or stop going for platinum trophies? 

Yes. My gaming (and subsequently my trophy acquiring) slowed significantly after having my kid. I now have enough of a (PS3/Vita/PS4) backlog to keep my current trophy acquiring pace for decades, so it's likely death with stop me before I choose to stop.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

slowed significantly

I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, I've just been wondering. How do you only have 3 platinums (and a bunch of hidden trophies)? I see you literally everywhere

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes. My gaming (and subsequently my trophy acquiring) slowed significantly after having my kid. I now have enough of a (PS3/Vita/PS4) backlog to keep my current trophy acquiring pace for decades, so it's likely death with stop me before I choose to stop.

Man, there's still a few games on my PS3 backlog as well and I don't even have a child. ? Nevermind the slew of PS4 games I've yet to play. In saying that though, I do love trophy hunting so I don't think I'll ever consciously decide to stop, but it's definitely becoming more difficult to commit chunks of time to hugely grindy or difficult platinums. 

• Like 1

Just now, HYPERS said:

I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, I've just been wondering. How do you only have 3 platinums (and a bunch of hidden trophies)? I see you literally everywhere

I hide all the games I finish so I can use the trophy tracking part of the site for all the games I'm still working on.

If you're curious, you should be able to see all my trophies here: https://my.playstation.com/profile/DaivRules/trophies

20 minutes ago, Exeshow678 said:

I'm still technically new to the trophy hunting scene, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary which is on March 24th, im 16 as of now, so I've still got awhile before anything major happens with me and im not a "hardcore" trophy hunter, so i'll probably be doing it for awhile

p.s 100th post, whooo!  

55 platinums in 1 year, wowie. ???

4 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

Probably when I stop playing video games which is probably when I die.

Same. ✋

22 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If I wasn’t hunting trophies, I’m not sure what I’d be doing.

I’d probably end up in a house full of stamps/comics/china dolls/coins/pogs/commemorative plates or some other useless chachkis.

Me too! If it wasn’t trophy hunting, I would probably instead be spending my money on anime blu-rays, mangas and/or anime figures.

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 2

Don't know if I'll ever completely stop trophy hunting as it gives me more reason to go back to my favorite games and discover every nook and cranny they have to offer, but I can certainly see myself slowing down on the hobby. In a way, it seems like it already has since I feel like I could be finishing my games in a fast and more efficient manor, but that probably has more to do with me prioritizing fun above anything else. As long as the trophy system exists, I'll continue hunting albeit at a much a slower pace in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure honestly! I've only recently (within the past year or 2) become more invested in trophy hunting, and I love it! I think it's the best way to see everything the game has to offer!

I can see myself being pickier on which games I want to platinum, but as long as there are games I'm really interested in (or are dumb fun) then I'm gonna hunt for that plat!

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to the addiction of the 100% platinum/trophy hunting and sadly i have few games i will never complete ?

Id like to think i will be gaming all the way into my coffin ⚰️.......as long as my hands allow it.

Just wanted to add.......some of my favorite trophy's have been online..........it still blows my mind a can game with a dude/dudette on the other side of the world ?

Happy gaming all

Peace 

• Like 1

I’m still new to trophy hunting/ playing video games (my boyfriend got my into playing video games when I moved in before that I had a DS as a child). I wouldn’t say I’m a hardcore trophy hunter, I don’t go for multiplayer trophies etc. but to me getting the trophies for a game is a way of getting the most out of the game and therefore my money. Some games are quite expensive and getting most of the trophies if not all of them feels like I’ve gotten the most out of the game that I can.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what I'll do personally. It's been years since the addition of achievements/trophies. Every year they exist makes it that much more difficulty to stop including them with games. As long as the trinkets exist, people will continue to go out of their way to obtain them.

• Like 1

In theory, I'll stop when I'm dead.

In practice, probably once I've cleaned up my lists to a certain point and gotten to stuff I've payed for but never started. A lot of that will be PS3/Vita stuffs. I'm not really seeing a compelling reason to continue on to the PS5 (yet) and I've got enough left over to keep me easy for years. Particularly so when it takes me a week to even bother hitting "play" these days.

• Like 1

Totally. I don't really care about my score on the 360 because I never had Gold as a kid and most of those games are offline now so I just get what I want. With the Switch I just have fun but I still try to do as much as I can, did a 100% run on Dark Souls straight after finishing it on PS3 lol same with Spyro. The fact PS games have a Platinum certainly incentivises you to go after it. I have a small library across the PS3 and 4 with stuff half finished so I'm working on that now. I have come across some games before that I have not wanted to buy because the trophy list was awkward or mostly online but I realise that isn't really a healthy way to approach a hobby so I got them anyway. Although something like FF14 that takes, apparently, 900 hours to Plat keeps me well away from it LOL. 

I used to do movie reviews all the time to the point they would take hours and I would get very obsessive over it; constantly going back to make small additions. It started off as a fun hobby but got out of control over the years until one day I just stopped doing it. I deleted my blog but made a backup of all my work, just because of how much time I spent on it and I think the same thing will happen here. I don't have as much time as I did in college to waste literal days on a movie review anymore and similarly my time gaming has shrunken down too because of work, not to mention I want to do other things in my spare time. 

Not to mention now when I get a plat I end up going 'well now what' lol. It doesnt have the same impact it used to. Although finally getting the Wipeout plat one day would be nice. 

• Like 2