One reason that Ratalaika Games, is good

13 minutes ago, HYPERS said:

IMO: Keep them on the store, don't give them platinums. It deters me because I don't want grubby platinums on my profile (anymore) so I wouldn't buy that game, but if it had a few gold trophies, and a nice 100%, sign me up!

EDIT: oh, and the multiple trophy stacks are excessive. don't like those

Part of what I'm saying is that without those methods, Ratalaika can't justify bringing over the riskier and more interesting games, after all we should be buying games that we think we'll enjoy first, and earn trophies on them second.

• Like 1

I actually agree. I own a few Ratalaika games myself (My Big Sister, Red Bow and Just Ignore Them) and my primary reason for owning them is because I watched Manlybadasshero’s LP of them and I wanted to support the dev. Also they’re publishing Heart of the Woods which is a VN that I already know is good since I played it on PC a couple years ago. Yandi looks pretty interesting too. I’ll probably pick it up eventually. 

• Like 1

@Helyx

I see what you're saying about the financial gains for easy multi region stacks, and that can even be applied to finishing the trophy list without finishing the game, but that also leaves a cheap and low quality reputation for that developer (whether they deserve it or not).   Would you consider the financial gain worth the poor reputation?

My personal opinion - it's kind of a hollow victory to make, for example, 1000 game sales if a large percentage of the people making those purchases only complete a small(?) fraction of your game.

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Would you consider the financial gain worth the poor reputation?

At the end of the day, they're a business. Their goal is financial profit.

The fact that Ratalaika stacks live rent-free in so many people's minds is a testament to their saturation and relevance in today's indie game market.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

I actually agree. I own a few Ratalaika games myself (My Big Sister, Red Bow and Just Ignore Them) and my primary reason for owning them is because I watched Manlybadasshero’s LP of them and I wanted to support the dev. Also they’re publishing Heart of the Woods which is a VN that I already know is good since I played it on PC a couple years ago. Yandi looks pretty interesting too. I’ll probably pick it up eventually. 

the games you mentioned are cool and kept me entertained, I actually enjoyed them

4 hours ago, SKiL_Clash said:

None of the games I’ve seen published where necessarily bad. Some where stupid, but some are good little indie games. it’s just a bad business model they follow, and they only make money is because of the trophies. These games can still be good if they made the requirements for the trophies more challenging. 

I was ok with them for a little while. But after they made hundreds now? (Not entirely sure I stopped following them) It just looks sad on a trophy list. I stopped doing them and hid like 70 of them from my list.  I only played like 25ish games but most are region stacks. I would be at like 173 platinums if I unhid them all but I just don’t like looking at them anymore. 

I used to think that going for the platinum is all that matters, even if it was an easy game. But after they ruined trophy counts and how easily it is to get 100-200 platinums like it was nothing, it just gives a bad reputation to other trophy hunters, and I have to agree now. Enjoying the game is number one, but the satisfaction of getting all the trophies is better. But now that you can buy a game for 4 bucks, get 13 gold and 1 platinum in 30mins is stupid... I’ve been playing more longer known games as I feel attached to the game the longer I play. Ratalaika Games gives no emotion anymore and just a depressing feeling when I go and look at peoples lists for inspiration for new games and all I see is those titles. It’s sad and wish people would stop. 

but the games are already out there and I cannot attack anyone for it, as I’ve done it myself. But it’s just like Smoking, I may have quit and rehabilitating myself to not attempt it again. But even then I’m still going to look down on anyone else who still does it. I may not say it personally, but I’m going to think of you as a poor trophy hunter. I was able to quit, you can too and move on to better games.

in case of an absolutely ruined account, it may be better to start a new one

Nothing against Ratalaika games, I enjoyed some of them like I am the Hero, the Midnight series and Blasting Agent, still other games are really trash the only reason make some profits is because of easy peasy trophies and plats and I think we all agree on this one, not mentioning the infinite trophy lists stacks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think on Xbox games have only 1 achievements list, so that's the only thing that bothers me a bit, those infinite trophy list stacks on PlayStation but simply because I think every game should share its own trophy list among regions and platforms unless we're talking about remastereds/remakes of course (for example I'm going for Dead Space series 100% but here on PSNprofiles I won't have a real 100% because of German stack of the game and hate this lol but surely not going to spend €15+ for a game I already own and going through the struggle of finding a German version + dealing with shipping etc).

But it is what is I guess.

P.S. Oh yes thinking deeper I also hate the fact there are games definitely harder that don't have a plat like Rayman 3 HD while you can get 20-30 Ratalaika plats instead of going for 100% on Rayman 3. There always were easy games also on PS3's prime days, but I think trophies now are really worth like shit... Personal opinion, peace everyone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@Helyx

My personal opinion - it's kind of a hollow victory to make, for example, 1000 game sales if a large percentage of the people making those purchases only complete a small(?) fraction of your game.

I don't think this argument works. The vast majority of people playing 'triple A' games will only complete a fraction of the game. Before I got interested in trophy hunting, I only finished maybe one game in twenty. I think this is fairly typical. 

• Like 1

I don't care how good or bad a game is supposed to be or who made it, if I think it's going to be worth the time and asking price to get it, I will but won't if it isn't. I've played plenty of Rata titles over the last couple of years and have found the good to bad ratio to be roughly 50/50, with the good games being really good to the point I stacked them a few times and the bad ones being bottom of the barrel stinkers I couldn't get rid of fast enough. I know I'm in the minority with this but if you take the lousy trophy lists out of the equation, you will find more than enough good games in Rata's back catalogue that it's easy to ignore the stinkers and pretend they don't exist.

Too many people these days are hung up on the value of leaderboards and trophies, to the point they now live in their own little bubble/echo chamber and spout off about something that frankly no-one really cares about. I retired from trophy hunting a year ago and it's the best decision I ever made, because now I have a much better sense of what games I actually like playing so can more easily avoid the time sink stinkers which used to tie me down and make me miserable.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

In general, Ratalaika has some good and fun games. Probably nothing that could keep you in front of the console for hours. But there are also a lot of people who just want to get a few trophies in between without having to make any particular effort. During the week this is often a way of compensating for the stressful workday when I don't want to be busy looking for collectibles in the evening. What is now a clear knockout reason for me are the really exaggerated region lists. It just comes down to more and more games and then at least four times more. As long as there are enough people (and there are) who play everything (see leaderboard) that won't change either. So I don't find it reprehensible, everyone has to decide for themselves how far they go. However, I also think judgmental statements sucks, not everything sucks and I have a lot of fun with a very large part. And in the end everyone decides for himself whether he is fooling himself or not.

• Like 3