Worst rage quit accidents

MancRed31

I mean this isnt recent, and it wasn't destructive, but when I was younger I picked up Demon's Souls cause I was looking for a nice RPG to play. I clearly didn't read the You Will Die on the back of the cover, just saw the cool armor on the front lol younger me was all over the place with game taste and most importantly lacked the patience and understanding that I have now. 

I grew furious because I didn't understand how the hell I was supposed to play this game if the 'tutorial' is so hard. I kept restarting and trying to beat that boss at the end and it just raged me like no other game so I popped the disc in the case nd returned it to the store lol

Now, I have a copy of Demon's Souls Remake and I plan on finally giving the game the attention and patience it deserved, and finally overcoming my biggest gaming ragemoment/frustration.

• Like 2

Battlefield... I think 3 maybe 4, it was years ago, one of 'those' games against complete scrubs that are getting pummeled but play like absolute cancer - full on camping, claymores, infra-reds, auto-shotguns and such. Entire team that also graced EU servers with their superior US presence and ~200+ ping.

Threw the DS, broke that, punched the drywall (hole) and hit the solid wood support beam behind (cracked pinky bone).

The hole is still there behind a wardrobe now, DS4 was 50€ and pinky was 2 weeks in a cast/immobilizer so I couldn't play much anyway.

Since then I just take a deep breath and quit for 10 minutes, and may or may not channel my inner OG COD4 lobby rage at the culprit.

• Like 1

Yeah it's not worth breaking stuff over these games, my worst reactions have been to online gaming, on PS3 i did throw my controller, i think the worst on PS4 was i threw the games disc case and part of it came off, when you come to think of it it's not worth it to break stuff that is expensive, huge regret afterwards if you do.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

I know better than to destroy expensive technology over some game.

Same. But while my controllers may all be in tact, I'd be lying if I said I've never pictured myself just throwing one in any given direction. The image of a neighbor walking past and a controller flying out the window and landing at their feet on the sidewalk is admittedly a funny one.

Speaking of neighbors, I have definitely been guilty of yelling and not even realizing it, to which my wife will sharply (and rightly) tell me to ctfo. I wonder if they think we're fighting when that happens?

"Ma'am? We're here on a complaint of potential domestic violence."

"Huh? Oh no, we're totally fine! My husband's just playing Cuphead!"

"Oh man, poor bastard. I hated that game. Have a nice day, ma'am."

• Like 1

I've only experienced this type of rage once in 40 years.

In Heavy Rain, there's a sequence where you drive the wrong direction on the freeway. I tried that checkpoint for almost an entire day before finally losing my cool, hurling my controller at something (anything) repeatedly. In all fairness, the controller was giving me a smug look at the time, so my actions felt justified since he had it coming.

I still have most of the controller as a reminder that with persistence and patience, I could destroy any little dumbshit plastic peripheral if I put my mind to it.

• Like 4

Can't even remember the game. But threw my controller on to the sofa, it bounced off and smacked into the wall, splitting the case apart. I couldn't get it back together without using the tool to do so... which I didn't have. Over the next few weeks I kept forgetting to fix it, until another rage quit. This time I missed the sofa completely, just hit the wall directly. This actually fixed the controller and everything clipped back into place :D

• Like 2

I once rage quit playing Fall Guys. I had a four win streak, made it to the final, and when it came down to the last two people, I died. There went my chance at getting Infallible. I rarely get upset with video games, but THAT was enough to piss me off. I didn't break anything, fortunately.

On a side note, whoever decided Infallible should be a trophy should be drowned in pink slime.

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

In Heavy Rain, there's a sequence where you drive the wrong direction on the freeway. I tried that checkpoint for almost an entire day before finally losing my cool, hurling my controller at something (anything) repeatedly. In all fairness, the controller was giving me a smug look at the time, so my actions felt justified since he had it coming.

I still have most of the controller as a reminder that with persistence and patience, I could destroy any little dumbshit plastic peripheral if I put my mind to it.

ah yes... the good driver/the bear trophy - remember it up to this day

fun fact, could have actually been the controller's fault. I had no luck getting it and asked a friend to come over with his and he did it first try, after which I tried once on his and done it about 90% perfect. the early 'move' or 'sixaxis' whatever controls were called were dodgy on a given controller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

That trophy (Kamikaze) is infamous, I managed to do it in only a couple of tries but I looked up some tips beforehand on how to tilt the controller in the most difficult part. The Quantic Dream trophy that gave me the most trouble and that I've never seen anyone mention is "The Road Less Traveled" in Indigo Prophecy, for beating the game on hard. 99% of the game is incredibly easy, but the rooftop Matrix fight is RIDICULOUS on that difficulty, it goes on for so long and you can't mess up at all, it sometimes just doesn't register your inputs, and on top of that you have to spam R1/L1 like your life depends on it or you won't make it off the roof in time and you'll have to redo the entire fight. It took me 26 tries, and my hands genuinely hurt the next day. 

• Like 1

Yep, threw my controller at my TV. Shattered the screen. Broken 13 controllers, dented my plaster, dented my laminate floor and turned over a nest of tables that took a bookcase down with it. I was actually impressed. I'm a 50 kg girl with no upper body strength, so there was a rush of something that kicked in, mate?.

Anyway, I've been gaming for 25 years (I'm 36 now) and I still always manage to find a game that takes me to that point of uncontrolled rage. Weirdly, it's always kids games like Rayman or Ratchet that get to me. I never broke a bloody thing playing Sekiro, Dark Souls or Nioh.

People tell me it's juvenile, not important, just a game, a waste of money...I agree with all of those things, but it still happens. It's impulsive, not rational, so don't be too hard on yourself. Consider yourself "aggressively passionate". Welcome to the club, my dear. Welcome to the club ?

• Like 1

I won't say how, but I punched the floor in my living room at the time as hard as I could.

Protip: Floors aren't soft.  They have zero give.  My right hand lost that battle.

I think I permanently messed up my pinky knuckle since it took the majority of the blow, and to this day is just a little bit off compared to the other one.  I was a trooper, wrapped my hand in therma-pads and still went out for dinner with friends that night, including an ex- who had recently broken up with me.  Explaining my anger issues and why I destroyed my hand just a few hours ago to everyone was fun.  All and all, a pretty great day.

Honorable Mention:

I've broken a number of controllers, but it actually kinda pissed me off that my one Xbox One controller was still working after as many times as I spiked it into the ground, so while I was still in the moment, I very reasonably put it on the ground and stomped on it until it broke.  Not really an "accident"... but fuck that game and that controller. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

The worst I can recall was throwing down a controller after repeatedly failing a license test in Gran Turismo 3, like 20 years ago. It wasn't damaged, though.

When extremely frustrated with anything, I'm more likely to self-harm than destroy property. Thankfully, I've improved a lot on that front, but I occasionally relapse.

I really don't do rage-quitting or violent outbursts anymore, aside from the occasional too-fast face-palm hand to my forehead (which can be kinda painful once you get married and have a ring on!?), but I do have a permanent reminder of the fact that wasn't always the case....

when I was a kid, Tekken frustrated me so much that after a particularly frustrating loss...

bit the controller and splintered a piece of my tooth off... ?

Hey guys?

Don't do that.

The game irritation only lasts a second...

The dental irritation lasts a lifetime ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I'm more verbal than the type of break stuff if I get frustrated. I did stamp a controller multiple times though when I was younger, probably the worst instance of breaking anything games related and guess I learnt from it from that point.   

Had a friend when I was younger who was mega competitive and used to get really wound up when he lost. He would throw controllers, storm off in moods, turn off the console in a rage. It was utterly hilarious and not the sort of thing you would do around your mates.

This video somewhat sums it up (he didn't go as far as to throw his console out of the window lol):

Not me...but my ps3.

I used to be a Rep for Playstation. I was running a charity event for a local hockey organization and we were doing an NHL 2011 contest to win a bunch of awesome prizes (autographed jerseys)

Two people were battling out to get into the finals and the one guy got scored on in the last couple of seconds and threw my controller against the wall and stormed out. The thing was the goal made it a tie so it went to overtime but he had already stormed out. So he broke MY controller during a charity event and he hadn't even lost.

• Like 1

To effectively channel gaming rage, always play while sitting on a soft couch. I’ve learned that PlayStation controllers can take a lot of abuse before breaking or becoming ineffective if, and only if, you beat it hard into a very soft cushion. 

Never throw, simply turn to the empty seat on the couch and beat it on the very soft surface, as hard as necessary, while cursing, and you should be ok for at least a few years (including psychologically). You can add pillows for extra protection. 

My ps3 controllers still work after several couch sessions spread out over many games like Badland, Rogue Legacy, Wipeout HD, Hotline Miami 1 & 2, and sadly, Treasures of Montezuma 4. 

Edited by PalaceOfLove706

On 27/03/2021 at 2:07 PM, HaserPL said:

I'm too poor to damage stuff when enraged lol. 

Same, hahaha. When I rage, I either yell or am dead silent. If I already feel like I’m getting angry, I just close the game and try cool down. ? I love my things too much to be throwing them around.