Trophy thoughts?

No longer here

So looks like it's gonna be hard for casuals like me with the next-to-nothing persistence between deaths. I wonder if the trophy "Eternal Return" (Die for the first time) is an unmissable story-forced one? 'Cos if not, the 94% on this game will be more bragging rights than the 100% haha

• Like 1

This is a comment by powerpyx about how difficult the platinum could be : "

It’s going to be at least 8/10 difficulty platinum and quite an annoying grind for the gold trophies to complete the databases in each world (because the game is randomized it can take a while).

Returnal is closer to Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben difficulty, but with a randomized map each time. There are no difficulty options so it will be same hardcore experience for everyone."

so based on this I don't think it's going to be an easy platinum.

• Like 1

I'm all for difficult games and mixing it up with new fresh ideas.

But whats the point of spending millions of dollars on developing a game that 90+% of the payers wont see a third of it. (going by PowerPyxs comment above)

I've argued with my friends that Dark Souls / Bloodborne etc should have an easy mode for people that just can't do these games but it always get counter argued by those that wish to gatekeep these games for the 'git gud' brigade.

I LOVED Sekiro up until I got to a point where no matter how many hours I played/tried to get better I couldn't get past. I would've loved to have seen what else the game had for me but alas I had to delete and sell.

Edited by Smash41

On 4/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, PS_4Trophies said:

This is no where as difficult as Mein Leben. The game is designed to be very difficult but as you start to unlock more permanent "stuff", it makes the following cycles easier. Your deaths are story related, if that makes any sense. There are several areas in a level that you can't reach until you acquire something. Once you have that, you'll always have it available so the next time you restart, you can now reach these areas. Just being able to acquire one more good artifact that you previously couldn't get can make a huge difference on the next run.

You're telling me folks just gotta get good?  Wow lol.  Anyway, can't wait until I play this on Friday.  My copy is expected on Tuesday, but work is more important SMH

On 19/04/2021 at 9:39 AM, Clafoutee said:

Every single "trophy thoughts" thread is the same.

I swear every time I open a thread like this before the game release I see a bunch of "easy plat" comments.

I'm not going to say that it's the case with Returnal because I don't know, but I've seen this with multiple games that ended up being 80+ hours and 7/10 plat.

If I remember correctly, there were these kind of "ez plat, ez list" comments on the Crash 4 trophy thoughts thread.

Quoting myself because it seems more than half the messages of the first three pages were once again shitting on something they didn't know.

A classic.

Can't wait for the 8-9/10 with the first two pages full of "I'm sick of free plats" posts.

Clowns.

Edited by Clafoutee
  • Like 3

I gotta say it's fairly humorous to see people go from easy plats to hard game, from the few comments of people that have played it I think we are looking at a decently difficult game, I doubt it will be Mein Leben difficulty as Powerpyx seems to have stated, from the admittedly small amount of gameplay I've seen thus far it doesn't look like it reaches that level though I could be wrong. Regardless I'm very much looking forward to playing this after watching the playstation access gameplay, the game looks genuinely fun.

• Like 1

I'm usually not a fan of games with roguelite elements but I so freakin love Housemarque games that I'll pick it up when I get a PS5 (probably in a few years because I don't feel the need for it yet).

Seems the game is like every other Housemarque games: super fun reactive arcade gameplay but very unforgiving and really eye-tiring ?

I probably won't bother with trophies on that one

Edited by Okoteiru
edit

On 4/24/2021 at 5:46 AM, PS_4Trophies said:

This is no where as difficult as Mein Leben. The game is designed to be very difficult but as you start to unlock more permanent "stuff", it makes the following cycles easier. Your deaths are story related, if that makes any sense. There are several areas in a level that you can't reach until you acquire something. Once you have that, you'll always have it available so the next time you restart, you can now reach these areas. Just being able to acquire one more good artifact that you previously couldn't get can make a huge difference on the next run.

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with PowerPyx, but their comments sound pretty hyperbolic, and strike me as coming from someone unaccustomed to how roguelikes/lites work (correct me if I'm wrong). Even if Returnal is as challenging as Nex Machina on the higher difficulties, I doubt learning how to finish runs with some regularity will be so tough in the long term. Happy to eat my words, though!

Personally, I'd rather go win another hundred Binding of Isaac runs right now, than play through Max Payne 3's New York Minute again, or mess with Wolfenstein's Mein Leben setting. Beating lengthy games on the highest setting deathless is no joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with PowerPyx, but their comments sound pretty hyperbolic, and strike me as coming from someone unaccustomed to how roguelikes/lites work (correct me if I'm wrong).

He is a pretty prolific guide writer who I first came to know for putting collectable guides out ridiculously fast. I would say that if he says a game is hard, it is probably hard. People were slating him for saying Sackboy was too easy. Having said that, mileage will vary from person to person - I couldn't get the plat on Batman: Arkham Asylum, but there are people who found that easy that I would wipe the floor with in Gran Turismo.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PS_4Trophies said:

As someone who completed the game a few times, I'm seeing a lot of unnecessary panic. You will struggle in the beginning but you're suppose to.

Is the story good? Does it even have a story? I’m hearing different things and I want to know if the game is somewhat story driven (or if I’m completely wrong here).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I don't see how anything about the marketing of the game and any given consumers pre/misconceptions are really your concern.

On the contrary, I think they have marketed the game enough, shown enough gameplay for a rogue-lite to keep it fresh for day 1 players. I just put it out there as PowerPyx is reputed and he voiced his opinion that I think everyone should know, especially those who were going with the seeming difficulty of the platinum being 1-2/10 because it's a Sony game and reading the trophy list.

• Like 1

Looks like it’ll be a good challenge after all, but I’m personally burnt out on roguelikes for the time being. Feels like every indie studio has put one out since Spelunky. Hades, Dead Cells, Risk of Rain, Binding of Isaac, Noita, Enter the Gungeon, Slay the Spire, Nuclear Throne, ScourgeBringer, Void Bastards, Moonlighter, Don’t Starve — it’s too much death! Lol. Eager to see how this develops, though, the look and vibe of the game seems very appealing otherwise. 

Edited by JD-D2

I was pretty worried about the "becomes the master" time challenge trophy in Titanfall 2 too because of all the talk about how hard it is etc. It even demotivated me from completing the game without even trying the challenge... But when I did, it wasn't too bad at all.

Reading all this made me unwilling of attempting the game, but perhaps it's not too big of a deal at all?

Would be good to hear some thoughts from people who almost completed it before Friday. Like, how do the checkpoints work? Every finished biome is a save/check point so you can leave?

Edited by Erkawest