Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

I mean, of course I'll join, why not. It literally just does good things and draining Briste's bank account in the process is a nice bonus!

No clue just yet what I'll choose, but it shouldn't be a problem squeezing a candidate in within the next month. At least the bonus badge is pretty safe with Trails of Cold Steel 4 being on its way, one worry less :P

Edited by Jens
  • Like 4

I would like to participate. Still thinking about which game I will play.

It can be hard to play games about mental health because they hit close to home but it can also be comforting in a way because you feel less alone with your own mental illness.

I would like to suggest Papo & Yo for the list. It’s a game about the child of an abusive father and how the child escapes mentally and copes in their mind. The mental health aspect, in my opinion, is childhood trauma and PTSD. If you have PTSD, please be gentle with yourself playing this game because it can be triggering. 

Oxenfree could also fit on the games about mental health. It has strong tones of depression and there is an event in the game I won’t state due to spoilers but it is related. 

Dear Esther also deals with mental health, you discover the story as you play the walking simulation game. 

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch actually surprised me when I played it at how much it dealt with mental health. Arguably the whole game could be a mind’s coping reaction to the events of the game. But even within that there are smaller storylines and subplots that relate to mental health. 

Amplitude is surprisingly about mental health in a way. I’m referring to the 2016 remake. As you play through the songs, it will reveal the story and I don’t want to give spoilers but it relates to mental health.

Ether One is directly about mental health. I never got a chance to finish it so can’t vouch for the ending but it was a very interesting premise. 

I never finished Braid but often see it on mental health game lists. It wasn’t a game I enjoyed but many do. 

For games that help with mental health, I would like to recommend Cozy Grove. The game content is very comforting, like a big brain hug from a teddy bear. :) But also the game creators tried very hard to design the game in a way that encourages you to take care of your mental health while playing by not playing for too long at once and not creating that obsession and urgency that can stress some players out.

I’ve also seen The Witness suggested as a good game for mental health.

Slime Rancher could also be on the list as good for mental health, it is a very cheerful, relaxing game that has helped me, but it can also have the opposite effect if you are already struggling and need something more focused.

Farm Together is another one that could easily go on both the list of games that help mental health and the you are not alone list. Very friendly, upbeat and relaxing game. 

Abzu could probably go on good for mental health as it is similar to games like Flower and Journey. Other games along these lines: Aer, flOw, Feather, Proteus

Doki Doki Universe also might fit on games good for mental health. You learn about yourself and others, emotional awareness, it’s a very relaxing game. 

Akimi Village also good for mental health. Very chill and cozy. 

Edited by Tiffanniebaby
Word choice
  • Like 4

@DamagingRob I know at least one other person told me that thicc thighs was good for your mental health so maybe don't ditch it completely in the month of May. ;)

I can relate to a lot of what you're talking about. I'm blind as a bat so my irl social interactions can come across as... unusual to some (like if I'm texting on my phone, on a computer, reading a book, etc) and have been mistaken for mental disabilities I don't have. I feel for you there for sure. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I know at least one other person told me that thicc thighs was good for your mental health so maybe don't ditch it completely in the month of May. ;)

Yeah, I'll probably start it at least. Chaos;Child won't take me an entire month to get through, I don't think. And I might want a break from just reading after so many hours. Lol.

• Like 1

For those who don't know what other game to add. Right now I am playing TwinMirror and I haven't finished the game yet, so maybe I might be assuming some things. but it seems the main character and other characters go through Depression, Anxiety and maybe Schizophrenia, again I just started the game, but it seems the game will fit May.

• Like 1

Add me, this is a really great event and an argument that sometimes it is not treated as useful.

Right now i'm playing Nier Replicant but i don't know if this game count towards this if not i will probably get Heavy Rain, Spec ops the line, gris and i hope more.

Also i can't really donate much because i lost my job cause this pandemic but if i can i will donate and spread the world.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tiffanniebaby said:

Amplitude is surprisingly about mental health in a way. I’m referring to the 2016 remake. As you play through the songs, it will reveal the story and I don’t want to give spoilers but it relates to mental health.

I +1 this. The game is also pretty hard (imo) but it does have a 'story' that revolves around MH. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

For those who don't know what other game to add. Right now I am playing TwinMirror and I haven't finished the game yet, so maybe I might be assuming some things. but it seems the main character and other characters go through Depression, Anxiety and maybe Schizophrenia, again I just started the game, but it seems the game will fit May.

Ohhh- I have this but haven't started yet - how is the game?

Might have to decide between this one and The Last Tree for my game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s68sc said:

Add me, this is a really great event and an argument that sometimes it is not treated as useful.

Right now i'm playing Nier Replicant but i don't know if this game count towards this if not i will probably get Heavy Rain, Spec ops the line, gris and i hope more.

Also i can't really donate much because i lost my job cause this pandemic but if i can i will donate and spread the world.

Nier probably works as long as you can easily identify it and explain it in a few sentences. Knowing a bit on the game, I think you could definitely find something to point to.

I will update the list later tonight after I get off work, but realize that there are probably several, hundreds of games you can find mental health themes in. Especially in story-driven games. 

I finished Concrete Genie last night and I think you can pull a lot of mental health aspects out of it and could fit (essentially, the MC uses art as an outlet to deal with stress and bullying).

I think I will do Brothers: Tales of Two Sons. The game focuses on overcoming grief and tragedy and even has a trophy for preventing a suicide.

First time doing something like this, so think I'm gonna give it a go. My game will be The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope. I can't go terribly into why without massive spoilers (which I'll save for when I've platinum-ed it), but it deals with themes of trauma and forgiveness so I feel it's pretty appropriate.

This subject, like a lot of you here, means a lot to me. I have a lot of personal issues which have been exacerbated by my prolonged isolation from people and the majority of the real world (about 10+ years) but I've fortunately managed to get at least a bit better thanks to the internet and meeting likeminded individuals there. Mental illness is a very wide spectrum, and having recently witnessed the consequences and reactions to Alzheimer's and schizophrenia in my family and friends respectively, it is something that will always need to be taken more seriously. By the medical industry, by those closest to you and by society at large. Playing a videogame for awareness may not inherently seem like a lot, but it's a +1 more than what many, many people are doing, and whilst I don't have the financial stability to make a large donation I will do my best to put my money where my mouth is. Good luck all, and I look forward to seeing all those platinums pop!

• Like 3

I'm excited at the chance to join, in part due to the subject matter, but also because the list of games includes one certain quicky (Fractured Minds) and possibly a few unknown quickies, and my gaming time is limited, but the list allows me to contribute.  The other part is an upcoming discussion I'm poised to have with a new doctor regarding doing something about curious lethargy/moodiness.  Probably years overdue.  

Count me in.

Edited by IntroPhenom
  • Like 2