Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

1 minute ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I mean Sony needs to do something. I am sure they could possibly buy out Ubi, but I am definitely worried about the future. I think PS had it right by developing their own talent. 

You ain't winning a fight involving money against Microsoft. Developing studios is obviously the best way to do it and something I've always liked from both Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft as the years has shown simply can't do the same so they have finally resorted to trying to buy their way to success. As I've said, the only surprise is it took Microsoft this long. 

• Like 2

Also some people seem to be stuck in the late 90's but Sony gave up Crash and Spyro a long time ago, they've had "mascots" from much bigger games since. The chances of a new game in either series were slim under Acti-B anyway so better something than nothing at all.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, jgm4789 said:

I guarantee you this is only happening because of all the abuse alligations around bobby kotick are now devaluing his company and he is just trying to find the easiest way out of the shitstorm he could potentially be in. He may still be ceo now but i guarantee you he will probably announce his retirement within 1-5 years. Honestly i doubt they will make call of duty exclusive(its like minecraft in that its too big to rip away from playstation players without damaging the brand, nothing bethesda has on playstation is even close to that in both consistency and sucess) because of how warzone is pretty much linked hard to the most recent 3 games(and will be linked to cod 2022) but it is sad that sony is now losing thier big 2 og mascots and potentialy everything else like singularity and prototype and anything blizzard.

Honestly Sony could just buy back Spyro and Crash potentially. I don't know I will miss them. :(

6 minutes ago, I-CatHasTrophy-I said:

Forget it.

They said the same after they bought Bethesda.

Just a few weeks later, they confirmed that The Elder Scrolls 6 will be an Xbox Exclusive.

I got a feeling that they will make the biggest single player games exclusive, while letting indie projects / games (psychonauts 2) or multiplayer games (call of duty / minecraft) to be on Playstation. 

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jgm4789 said:

I guarantee you this is only happening because of all the abuse alligations around bobby kotick are now devaluing his company and he is just trying to find the easiest way out of the shitstorm he could potentially be in. He may still be ceo now but i guarantee you he will probably announce his retirement within 1-5 years.

Exactly my thoughts when I heard the news.

Getting rid of the dirt without moving a little finger. Nothing will change for him and all of the problems are now Microsofts problems.

I wonder if this will be re-named soon. I dont think it will be called "Activision Blizzard" for any longer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CptToffer said:

When it comes to exclusivity, where games will end up and who ultimately will lose out, Microsoft's answer will always be:

"Buy our console". 

They're a business. They want to sell consoles, among other things. It's as simple as that really. 

Exactly. And thats it.
More sold consoles - more game Pass subscribers, more sold games - everything incrases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, I-CatHasTrophy-I said:

Oh it's not there choice anymore.

If Microsoft sells more consoles and games because COD will become an Exclusive, they won't care about additional money from other platforms.

Activision is just an object now.

I don’t know the art of deals or anything but I’m sure it’s been discussed before the finale sale. Microsoft may have say in the development of Games and what is allowed on PlayStation platforms, whatever stipulation Microsoft imposed the deal probably would’ve included Call of Duty being multi platform.

I could be wrong and to be honest Call of Duty doesn’t interest me, none of Activision games really interest me. Bit this isn’t about me it’s about business. And most likely PlayStation sales go into Microsoft’s pocket anyway. 

• Like 1

A load of games i have no interest in anymore so doesn't really bother me, big one is Cod which has been s**t for years. It's actually hilarious that Microsoft are spending 100s of billions to try and win people over, quality over quantity. They seem to jump on these devs/publishers when they are at a low or have become bad. Probably buy Rockstar next. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You ain't winning a fight involving money against Microsoft.

This. We have to remember, Microsoft makes computers, phones, Windows, and of course Xbox among a lot more.

Sony pretty much just has PlayStation and TVs at the moment.

Edited by arcanehornet_
  • Like 1

There goes our crossplay with Xbox lol. Which doesn't hurt my feelings. Sony will pull the plug which will piss Phil off more.

Really do think these acquires might hurt PS5 sales now. People who aren't 100% Sony fans will most likely switch now.

I personally could careless. If they made these full exclusives, oh well. Most these companies they are acquiring release buggy day one games that take almost a year to be in a "fun state".

I think the only one I'm kinda "sad" about is Tony Hawk, even though I don't have high hopes for the series. I really don't think a "new" version of the game will redeem itself. The remade versions are great yes, but once they milk those I don't foresee it being something people will want. (Looking at you THPS5...)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CptToffer said:

When it comes to exclusivity, where games will end up and who ultimately will lose out, Microsoft's answer will always be:

"Buy our console". 

They're a business. They want to sell consoles, among other things. It's as simple as that really. 

According to Microsoft itself you'd be incorrect. You see, Microsoft doesn't even care about how many consoles they sell, it is all about getting gamepass on PCs, phones, TVs, toilet bowls, and whatever else. Of course, if Microsoft weren't you know, dead last, I doubt such a statement would get made.

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

At a certain point, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to just buy PlayStation?

They wouldn't need to worry about exclusives if they own both the consoles...

They'd need to buy Sony entirely more than likely for that to happen, and either way it is very doubtful the Japanese government would allow such a deal to go ahead.

2 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

This. We have to remember, Microsoft makes computers, phones, Windows, among a lot more.

Sony pretty much just has PlayStation and TVs at the moment.

Sony is actually doing far better now than it used to, which was when PlayStation had to cover a lot of slack for their other areas. That said Sony simply can't devote the massive amounts of money that it would take to do all these buy outs, it'd be way too risky. Sony has always funded PlayStation less than many would say they should have, but that lack of money lead to PlayStation developing studios which paid off big time for them. 

That's alot of money!

This will definitely cause rage for many Playstation players cause of no Cod. And as Arcesius said what will happen with all the servers for Cod on Playstation?

This is definitely not good for the industry. Sony can't really compete in buying. 

As gaming wise, i don't care that much. Don't even play anything from them anymore

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vergil said:

That's alot of money!

This will definitely cause rage for many Playstation players cause of no Cod. And as Arcesius said what will happen with all the servers for Cod on Playstation?

This is definitely not good for the industry. Sony can't really compete in buying. 

As gaming wise, i don't care that much. Don't even play anything from them anymore

Cod is P2P. I highly doubt Cod will be exclusive, just exclusive/early content like Sony has had. Cod hasn't been good for years though so it's no loss if it does, all they are now buggy unfinished crap. 

9 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Do you think this changes the competitive landscape between Sony and Microsoft?

Hard to say for certain though the sheer scale of this is certainly going to make waves, much more so than the Zenimax buyout. Microsoft has been buying up developers for years since their own homegrown studios have always struggled to make many decent games compared to Sony and Nintendo but they still have very little to show for it right now on Xbox. It makes little difference to me as I always buy consoles from all companies so I don't miss out on too much, but if Microsoft completely corners the market and squeezes out everybody but Tencent then that'll be the day I personally stop buying into new games and hardware. Monopolies are terrible for the industry and I'd say this no matter who was doing it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vergil said:

That's alot of money!

COD won’t be one sided. It’s too much money loss leaving PS out of it. They will leave it the same like they did with Minecraft. Just Xbox will get the early access deals now.

3 minutes ago, Vergil said:

That's alot of money!

Personally, I don't see MS makinfg COD exclusive. It sells well on PS, so they would be losing that entire revenue stream. What I could see is them making it a day one gamepass release, while PS players have to pay for the game (So not a part of whatever gamepass variation PS may be planning. 

5 minutes ago, Vergil said:

That's alot of money!

This doesn’t necessarily mean that CoD will be off of Playstation. There’s a lot of extra money to be made by selling the game on playstation too, and i don’t think they’d miss out on that. Hope i’m right