Does anyone actually like this game?

JokerSmile007

3 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i liked the vietnam dlc, and the zombie dlc was good with friends but hurk is not funny and that mars dlc sucked, i did like playing the ng+ hard mode with the alien weapons though. 

The Vietnam one seemed like it was actually quality at least, but Vietnam movies have never been my thing. The zombie one was kinda fun but also felt like a discount L4D imo, definitely didn't feel like a full expansion. And yeah, the Mars DLC was utter ass. They had a cool concept but it felt like they just didn't bother actually making it fun to play.

• Like 1

I didn't not like it. It's a Ubisoft game, it's a Far Cry game, the 5th one at that, you should know what you're getting to by this point. 

If you're just realizing now all Ubisoft games have generic stories with a ton of meaningless side content to pad out the length then that's your fault. Their games aren't meant to blow you away with a really captivating story. That's not how Ubisoft operates and again, you should know this by now. 

• Like 1

I think it comes down to a fairly basic issue with most AAA games these days, they are all more or less the exact same thing. Sure you change the characters, kind of, and locations, kind of, but it is still more or less the exact same game when you really get down to it. Far Cry is just one of the obvious contenders for this with each game becoming a rough copy. Plenty of other AAA games have done this as well, like CoD and assassin's creed for instance. Assassin's creed at least tried to change things up after how many years but even then it's not really even an assassin's creed game anymore, more like another far cry ironically. Depending on how you look at it this could come down to 2 things, they are running out of ideas or they just want to guarantee a high sales return by remaking what they know already works. Personally I see it that most people with new or interesting ideas can't do what they want because the funding is always pushed to guarantees, everyone is afraid to take risk. Then again the way Microsoft is tearing through developers to give themselves an edge I guess it's fair. So is it a bad game? Not really, it's just really bland because most fans of that kind of game have probably already played the same thing multiple times over.

Maybe I'm just really odd, but the way I play ubisoft-esque games made me really enjoy Far Cry 5.

How I tend to play them is that whenever there's side content available I'll play it first. Far Cry forcing me into story missions as I play side stuff kept the main story in my mind the whole time I was playing. Spider-Man did a similar thing that made me like it by sprinkling side content throughout the story, so side content and main content balance is maintained.

Contrasted with Ghost of Tsushima where I played the main game after playing all side stuff first, so by the time I ended up playing the story I was overpowered and had forgotten the story,

34 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

I didn't not like it. It's a Ubisoft game, it's a Far Cry game, the 5th one at that, you should know what you're getting to by this point. 

If you're just realizing now all Ubisoft games have generic stories with a ton of meaningless side content to pad out the length then that's your fault. Their games aren't meant to blow you away with a really captivating story. That's not how Ubisoft operates and again, you should know this by now. 

I dunno about that man. I don’t mind a lot of them but this one is very icky. Also we should not expect for games to turn out like this one cuz then it allows them to continue doing it?

1 hour ago, JokerSmile007 said:

It has been a long time sense I’ve played far cry, but I usually like the games a lot. This one just doesn’t intrigue me and I think it’s partially cause the setting/characters. I feel like Montana is just so boring you know

I get it. We all have our likes and dislikes. Probably the same reason as to why I couldn't really get into FC6. Maybe the location was just not really all that fun to me. 

11 minutes ago, JokerSmile007 said:

I dunno about that man. I don’t mind a lot of them but this one is very icky. Also we should not expect for games to turn out like this one cuz then it allows them to continue doing it1f44d.png

What allows them to continue making mediocre games is the fact they sell really well. Same reason the movie industry pumps out nothing but generic superhero movies and remakes/sequels because it's guaranteed profit. Creating something truly original and creative is taking a chance that it could fail and the industry has shifted away from taking that chance. Same with the video game industry. Regardless of what you or I believe, there's a massive market for these style games where you know exactly what you're getting into and what to expect when it comes to a Ubisoft game. They're the Marvel Studios of video games. They have a formula that guarantees sales and success and they stick to it and people will forever consume it because that's the way people are. We're aware modern games aren't as good as they used to be but we still play them anyway. What's the alternative? Boycott video games until they start making them better? That's not how it works. Originality is dead and everything is basically just derivatives of each other these days. Poor quality product is just a reflection of the poor consumer base. 

22 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Might as well post this here:

Can anyone tell me if the MP is still fairly active? Was thinking of starting FC5 before the end of the week.

You will only need 1 buddy to finish mp trophies. I suggest setting up a session on psn it took me about an hour and a half with someone to knock them all out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

What allows them to continue making mediocre games is the fact they sell really well. Same reason the movie industry pumps out nothing but generic superhero movies and remakes/sequels because it's guaranteed profit. Creating something truly original and creative is taking a chance that it could fail and the industry has shifted away from taking that chance. Same with the video game industry. Regardless of what you or I believe, there's a massive market for these style games where you know exactly what you're getting into and what to expect when it comes to a Ubisoft game. They're the Marvel Studios of video games. They have a formula that guarantees sales and success and they stick to it and people will forever consume it because that's the way people are. We're aware modern games aren't as good as they used to be but we still play them anyway. What's the alternative? Boycott video games until they start making them better? That's not how it works. Originality is dead and everything is basically just derivatives of each other these days. Poor quality product is just a reflection of the poor consumer base. 

This is generally true (perhaps a little overstated).  But the Far Cry series fits a need (open world with a rich environment and a ton of things to do), it should not be up to that particular series to come up with originality.  They add new features all the time but yes, they are generally incremental.

But other/new Ubisoft and other niche studios sure could try for more innovation. Easier said than done though. 

it was a good far cry but of others i've played 4 and 3 and Blood Dragon are still way much better, the Vietnam was ok, though having to replay Vietnam 3 times to 100% was annoying, Mars was something different, it was ok, need to play the zombie one and personally always hated new game+ being dlc 

Personally i didn't like how game made the story advance, like John's section for example, get enough done then arrow hits you, and then you at next part of story, like do all that stuff yet you are so easy to get recaptured and i really wasn't that big on the protaginists, like  Pagan Minh from 4 is just amazing

This game is probably one of my most disliked games ever.

The story is boring and filled with terrible characters that like to talk endlessly about nothing of value.  Especially the villains, who half of the time just abduct you so they can endlessly monologue at you for 5 minutes.

It’s possible to get some level of fun out of the gun combat, but it’s infested with horrible attempts at getting you to cough up real money to purchase everything.  

Once you get access to a silenced sniper rifle and a helicopter gunship, youve basically won the game.  

The fact that coop story progression isn’t shared is a nightmare that means you either do everything twice or one person gets stuck with only 2 weapon slots for the whole game.

All the DLC except Vietnam is bad.  Having to hear Hurk say “Maughn’ at the end of every sentence during the Mars DLC was excruciating.

Also the 30fps isn’t ideal but it’s a product of the games age.

Edit:  On the positive side, you can play the recreations of the Goldeneye levels in the Arcade mode which is a fun novelty, but all the credit of that should go to the legend that took the time to make them.

Edited by Mr_Stkrdknmiblz

• 3 weeks later...

Not my cup of tea. Bland and generic with rubbish baddies. The hipster cult leader didn’t work for me. Cult leaders don’t have man buns and look like they come from Oregon or East London, they just don’t! 

It just feels so lazy, rehashing the same story and same game play again and again. The game felt like a to do list rather than a game to me. 

It’s not a 1/10 but in some ways bland is worse than bad! 

I've enjoyed the single player. I think they could have gone deeper and darker with the cult stuff. The bad guys are boring and give you the generic brainwashed hippie speak that has no depth. I wish they had either gone 70s Wicker Man or Midsommar. I love the world, reminds me a lot of Day's Gone, post apocalyptic United States. I thought the Far Cry 3 and 4 environments got incredibly repetitive after a few hours of gameplay. I live in South Carolina, so even though this is rural Montana, there are a lot of overlaps I can relate to. In terms of gameplay, VERY easy, much easier than Far Cry 3 or 4. With Peaches and Cheeseburger, outposts are an afterthought. I much prefer the Prepper Stashes to things like the towers in previous games. And the perk system is great at getting you out after the Prepper missions, which are fun 5 minute puzzles. The kidnapping thing gets tedious, especially the one where you have to replay the same scenario 3 or 4 times that starts out in the red brainwash room. Very little weapon variety, but love the fact that you can attach a suppresser to anything. I'm looking forward to playing New Dawn. I like the sillier, more arcade stuff this series has done and understand they turn it up a bit with New Dawn. Seems similar to Rage 2, which IMO is an underrated game. Honestly, rating the Far Cry games for me from worst to best (of the ones I've played)... 2, 4 (felt like a reskinned 3), 3, Primal (such a weird, unique game), 5, and finally the king Blood Dragon. But really good time with Far Cry 5 single player. Two words on the multi player: Shovel Dodger!

Edited by cobaltTangerine
  • Like 1

One of the best in the series imo, if not, the best. In fact, the only reason why I haven't bought the DLCs is because I heard that they're really bad and I don't want to ruin my good memories of the game. I even liked the multiplayer and I don't like multiplayer games that much in general aside from Dice games and Destiny 2.

• 3 months later...